Chimp Challenge : Official thread

Also, if you run with notfred's CD, don't forget to create new ones with the right name in advance.

For those who are still in the dark about the Ape Cave location, PM me but don't try to sneak it if you aren't from the [H]orde ;)

Xilikon Pm sent. :)
posts.jpg

Denied :p

hmm... it seems we might have a SPY among us!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

:p

Is there an OCAU thread somewhere? Come on Aussies, are you not Men? We are Chimps! Or HardApes!

well i´m thinking about switching to SMP clients for the Chimp Challenge, a couple of those in my quad would certainly raise those PPD :)

I'm ready for the challenge as well. Maybe I'll try and find some conductive ink and overclock the old Dell 2140 for the event. I'm also going to try and grab another Q6600 if the April 20th price drops are decent. I sure wish we had a Fry's up here in Canada.

well i´m thinking about switching to SMP clients for the Chimp Challenge, a couple of those in my quad would certainly raise those PPD :)

I'm ready for the challenge as well. Maybe I'll try and find some conductive ink and overclock the old Dell 2140 for the event. I'm also going to try and grab another Q6600 if the April 20th price drops are decent. I sure wish we had a Fry's up here in Canada.

That is the Monkey Spirit!

Still waiting on the PM as well. I've heard that you need some bananas to get into the Ape|Cave.

Bananas??? Bananas??? We don't need no stinkin' bananas!!!

With the right beer you might have a chance.

will do
i´ll just wait till the the folding is complete in the single clients to close them, and then i´ll start to fold with the SMPs :)

Your points are really going to take off one you have those SMP clients folding ;)

You mean you have a quad and you aren't using SMP? :eek:

I'm... I'm feeling faint...

*passes out*

;)

will do
i´ll just wait till the the folding is complete in the single clients to close them, and then i´ll start to fold with the SMPs :)
Install two clients with Affinity Chnager. You should be near 4000PPD if not more.

You mean you have a quad and you aren't using SMP? :eek:

I'm... I'm feeling faint...

*passes out*

;)

well, since my PC is not totally dedicated to folding, i might have some problems with the SMP because i would close the client once in a while. But i´ll give it a shot ;)

well, since my PC is not totally dedicated to folding, i might have some problems with the SMP because i would close the client once in a while. But i´ll give it a shot ;)
The client(s) will relinquish clock cycles as other applications demand the CPU for their own tasks. It shouldn't be a problem to let the clients run with almost any other app. Keep in mind, that shutting down a SMP client, especially if you have more than one running can be risky at times.

The client(s) will relinquish clock cycles as other applications demand the CPU for their own tasks. It shouldn't be a problem to let the clients run with almost any other app. Keep in mind, that shutting down a SMP client, especially if you have more than one running can be risky at times.

good info ;)

The only thing you have to watch is memory allocation. Make sure you have enough free memory.

mmm... beer and tamalies :D

Gah! I really need to get a quad of my own... LeSLIe will be mowing me over in no time. I already have delvryboy in my rear view mirror. >.<

The only thing you have to watch is memory allocation. Make sure you have enough free memory.
True, but it's a rare system these days that doesn't have sufficient memory. Since a minimum requirement for running a SMP client is a dual-core or two single core processors, most such systems usually have a minimum configuration of 1GB of RAM. I'm running the SMP client on systems with less than 1GB of RAM and have memory to spare, however they're dedicated folders and not doing much else.

True, but it's a rare system these days that doesn't have sufficient memory. Since a minimum requirement for running a SMP client is a dual-core or two single core processors, most such systems usually have a minimum configuration of 1GB of RAM. I'm running the SMP client on systems with less than 1GB of RAM and have memory to spare, however they're dedicated folders and not doing much else.

The 1gb machine I have is not a dedicated folder, so I try to keep the amount of processes on it low, but sometimes it will go over the 1gb mark and use the page file, which slows everything considerably

Lots of PM sent and stank cheeses tossed in the garbage can :D

I love the monkey spirit in that thread. Myself, I just spend over 1100$ on a fat order at NCIX for 3 extra boxens :D I took the opportunity to use my 2500 NCIX points and redeem free shipping (this will rape them very seriously with a total of 7-8 boxes a hair under 100 pounds total).

Lots of PM sent and stank cheeses tossed in the garbage can :D

I love the monkey spirit in that thread. Myself, I just spend over 1100$ on a fat order at NCIX for 3 extra boxens :D I took the opportunity to use my 2500 NCIX points and redeem free shipping (this will rape them very seriously with a total of 7-8 boxes a hair under 100 pounds total).

Did you buy yourself another Quad?

:)

The OCForums has posted a global announcement for the Chimp Challenge. Maybe they'll drum up enough support to keep us from falling asleep. :D

Nope, everything I need to build around the quads. Remain for me to buy the quads when price drop in a few days then I'll be set. Anyway, I just received another Q6600 from UPS (Fry one sold used by AthlonXP for cheap).

Here's my spreadsheet of the farm build. Black = own already, purple = to buy with the fat order, blue = next order in 1-2 weeks and gray = quads to buy :
XilikonFarm.jpg

Crimson = File server / Firewall (will get 1-2 TB drives later).
Indigo = HTPC (hence the upscale parts)
Onyx = Main PC
Tezro and Fuel = Pure folding boxens

P.S. : Notice my love for Mushkin :p

The OCForums has posted a global announcement for the Chimp Challenge. Maybe they'll drum up enough support to keep us from falling asleep. :D

A bit too early IMHO :p They will fall asleep when we are ready to rumble !

Back