Bloomfield, Thuban, or wait

that much hardware fo a passive cooled system? Id expect more, but then again my octo socket board was passive...

I have to admit that those Magny Cours chips are pretty darn good looking. It is like staring at the Dolly Parton of the microprocessor world, and I like what I see. That is actually something to think about for me, as AMD has announced that the socket C32/G34 platforms will be compatible with some form of Bulldozer if it ever comes out. Of course, a lot of that depends on whether the mobo manufacturers are going to do the decent thing and update the bios. I heard this is an area where Asus is terrible as they stop supporting their server boards after a short while.

It looks like Tyan is the only company that makes an EATX dual G34 board, so that would be my option if I go this route. The Asus is a SSI EEB or whatever it is, and thus i'm not even sure there are any cases for it. It appears to have the same dimensions as EATX, but the holes don't line up.

I wonder if I could swing a pair of 8 core Magny Cours at some near point in the future and then have a pathway to going full blown Bulldozer if it ever comes out before AMD goes broke.

I have to admit that those Magny Cours chips are pretty darn good looking. It is like staring at the Dolly Parton of the microprocessor world, and I like what I see. That is actually something to think about for me, as AMD has announced that the socket C32/G34 platforms will be compatible with some form of Bulldozer if it ever comes out. Of course, a lot of that depends on whether the mobo manufacturers are going to do the decent thing and update the bios. I heard this is an area where Asus is terrible as they stop supporting their server boards after a short while.

It looks like Tyan is the only company that makes an EATX dual G34 board, so that would be my option if I go this route. The Asus is a SSI EEB or whatever it is, and thus i'm not even sure there are any cases for it. It appears to have the same dimensions as EATX, but the holes don't line up.

I wonder if I could swing a pair of 8 core Magny Cours at some near point in the future and then have a pathway to going full blown Bulldozer if it ever comes out before AMD goes broke.

yeah they do look sexy.. just to say i have 24 cores running in a single systems sounds awesome.. i wouldnt expect AMD to go broke anytime soon.. looks like them buying ATI 3 years ago is finally paying off like i said it would when it first happened.. now if AMD actually spent the same kind of money on R&D that intel does then ya i might say they could go broke before the bulldozer comes out.. but they dont, lol..

those 2.3ghz 8 core magny's at 530 bucks on newegg look like a steal though in my opinion..

If you want to try secondhand, older opty's can still pump out some serious PPD try here for some idea of PPD but bear in mind these are on older projects but people do say that 2685 runs closer to 2681-83 in terms of PPD.
That greatly depends on the architecture. I'm only seeing 2000 PPD better output than the P2684 running older Xeons, and that's with a higher OC. I know that Nehalem systems are doing much better, so the new -bigadv WUs seem to be optimized for that architecture. I can't speak for AMD because the only system I still run with Opterons doesn't have enough cores for -bigadv.

Last edited:
Yeah and twin chips side by side is like CPU pr0n :p

That's my only worry with the Asus, that BIOS updates may not persist into BullDozer, but I keep my fingers crossed.

E-ATX and SSI EEB are the same size (12x13.5) , with only three screw holes/standoffs varying between the two.

That pic I took of the KGPE-D16 is on the motherboard tray of a Lian Li PC-P80. It took me a few days of searching, but the tray fits the mobo perfectly. Lian Li even included three nuts that screw into the standoffs that allow them to be anchored properly in some adjustable, untapped "oval" screwholes. With these you can move the standoff from side to side and then use the nut on the other side to anchor it into the mobo tray.

From looking at their documents and literature photos the PC-A71 and PC-A77 cases should also work with both SSI EEB and E-ATX, as the motherboard tray has all the same screw holes.

My only concern with these cases is that the PSU sits at the bottom unlike my PC-P80 which has the PSU at the top, near the EPS and ATX PSU connectors.

Alternatively, they have shorter motherboard trays so channeling the PSU cables through the back side of the mobo tray shouldn't be too difficult. The PC-P80 has 10 PCI/PCI-E slots and the other two have 7 or 8 I believe, thus the narrower motherboard tray.

More photos to come soon.

Yeah, I can't wait until you can see whether you will be able to overclock those chips. I have to admit that 1.9ghz is a bit disappointing, even if you are running 24 physical cores. The fastest Magny Cours 12 core AMD seems to offer is a 2.3ghz that costs way too much. Let me know what kind of case you ultimately put it into, although I would probably opt for the EATX Tyan dual G34 board if I decide to wait till the end of this year to build another rig versus jumping the gun and building a Thuban or Bloomfield right now.

However here is room for thought as I could technically use my same budget and go buy two eVGA GTX 480 superclocked(sorta oc'd) and stick it into my current rig for instant 30k ppd gain. The power draw however would be utterly insane.

Yeah, I can't wait until you can see whether you will be able to overclock those chips. I have to admit that 1.9ghz is a bit disappointing, even if you are running 24 physical cores. The fastest Magny Cours 12 core AMD seems to offer is a 2.3ghz that costs way too much. Let me know what kind of case you ultimately put it into, although I would probably opt for the EATX Tyan dual G34 board if I decide to wait till the end of this year to build another rig versus jumping the gun and building a Thuban or Bloomfield right now.

However here is room for thought as I could technically use my same budget and go buy two eVGA GTX 480 superclocked(sorta oc'd) and stick it into my current rig for instant 30k ppd gain. The power draw however would be utterly insane.

"The power draw however would be utterly insane." so then is it really within your budget when ya add everything up at the end of the day? some food for thought.. :p

I tried it out briefly last night, as it was late, but I didn't really try and figure out the best way to use K10Stat, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Hopefully later tonight I can take a better look at it and see what I can get in terms of response to OC attempts.

I didn't realize that EACH chip can utilize quad channel RAM for a total of 8 channels with two CPUs.

Good thing I was able to dig up another few DDR3 2GB modules. She has 16GB in 'er right now.

Right now I'm stress testing the CPUs by running a 2685 unit, and getting around 55K PPD, but one module in each "set" is at 1066mhz so I have to fix it first.

Or you could be rational and stick a pair of GTX 460's in your rig - 20k PPD and a lot less power, heat and noise:cool:

I tried it out briefly last night, as it was late, but I didn't really try and figure out the best way to use K10Stat, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Hopefully later tonight I can take a better look at it and see what I can get in terms of response to OC attempts.

I didn't realize that EACH chip can utilize quad channel RAM for a total of 8 channels with two CPUs.

Good thing I was able to dig up another few DDR3 2GB modules. She has 16GB in 'er right now.

Right now I'm stress testing the CPUs by running a 2685 unit, and getting around 55K PPD, but one module in each "set" is at 1066mhz so I have to fix it first.

That is actually just a tad bit disappointing as I thought a 24 core rig would be able to do way more than just 55k ppd. I don't even want to know what kind of hit you would take if you got a 2684 instead. Can't wait to see if you can do any overclocking though.

Or you could be rational and stick a pair of GTX 460's in your rig - 20k PPD and a lot less power, heat and noise:cool:

I think i'll just stay away from GPU folding for now. I always flirt with that idea, but I always shy away from it at the end.

I think i'll just stay away from GPU folding for now. I always flirt with that idea, but I always shy away from it at the end.

Thats OK, i'm always flirting with the idea of a bigadv rig;) In the meantime my gpu's chomp away

nah that PPD sounds right.. because the 2.3ghz 12 core magny's did 65.5k PPD which was about 500-700 PPD more then the xeon 5650's but i believe that review was done with the a2 big adv so 55k on the 2685's sounds right for the 1.9ghz chips..

but 55k PPD with the power usage those chips are using is damn good.. might actually give the PPD/w top 5 a run for its money.. should be doing something like 115-120w full load.. the 2.3ghz chips did 135w..

Thanks for the info sirmonkey1985,

I just looked through the BIOS manual and (joy) it will allow me to manually clock the RAM at 533, 667, 800 and 933, so I'm going to try this tonight as soon as I get home after work. 6 of the DIMMs are at 667, but two were at 533 for some reason.

I'm fairly certain these chips are more RAM sensitive than I7s and Xeons even with the voluminous cache, so hopefully that will shore up the times a bit more by going from 1333mhz RAM to 1600mhz. There are 12 cores packed into a chip with quad channel memory access, but that's twice as many real cores as an i7 980x or Xeon x5650+ chip. I realize they have HT (and only triple channel), but real cores are a different load methinks. Unfortunately that's pretty much the only OC'ing I will probably be able to do. K10Stat doesn't do anything and AMD Overdrive just crashes.

I am gonna grabbing a kill-a-watt to see what she's pulling from the wall with the onboard ASpeed crappy video as well as adding a GTX 470 to it. I'm pretty sure the 850W power supply should be more than sufficient. I'm also going to re-format once this BigAdv unit is done and use Win2K8 x64 R2 vs. Win7. I just put Win7 on there because it was getting late last night and I wanted to see what she'd do ASAP.

nah that PPD sounds right.. because the 2.3ghz 12 core magny's did 65.5k PPD which was about 500-700 PPD more then the xeon 5650's but i believe that review was done with the a2 big adv so 55k on the 2685's sounds right for the 1.9ghz chips..

but 55k PPD with the power usage those chips are using is damn good.. might actually give the PPD/w top 5 a run for its money.. should be doing something like 115-120w full load.. the 2.3ghz chips did 135w..

Last edited:
yeah the bigadv WU's are very memory sensitive.. so the faster you can get the memory running you should see a nice increase in PPD..

will yes there is a big difference between a physical and logical core.. the xeons have the upper hand because of clock speeds.. if you were to put a xeon 5650 at 1.9ghz the magny would kill it..

That is a kick ass rig! It's too bad K10Stat didn't work, but maybe someone will edit/reprogram a new version to work with the G34 chipsets...55K PPD isn't anything to sneeze at...

You could drop a couple of 460's in those 2 sexy PCI-E slots and break 75K PPD:D

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to going with Windows 2008 rather than Windows 7? I didn't even think Windows 7 could support a 24 core system as I thought that they would limit it so that people would be forced into buying the more expensive server and enterprise versions of Windows.

Either way, can't wait to see what you do. You have my dream rig right there as i've been dreaming of dual 12 core Magnys ever since I got into folding. I really really hate Intel, and would really like to come back to AMD for my next folding rig.

Thanks for the info sirmonkey1985,

I just looked through the BIOS manual and (joy) it will allow me to manually clock the RAM at 533, 667, 800 and 933, so I'm going to try this tonight as soon as I get home after work. 6 of the DIMMs are at 667, but two were at 533 for some reason.

I'm fairly certain these chips are more RAM sensitive than I7s and Xeons even with the voluminous cache, so hopefully that will shore up the times a bit more by going from 1333mhz RAM to 1600mhz. There are 12 cores packed into a chip with quad channel memory access, but that's twice as many real cores as an i7 980x or Xeon x5650+ chip. I realize they have HT (and only triple channel), but real cores are a different load methinks. Unfortunately that's pretty much the only OC'ing I will probably be able to do. K10Stat doesn't do anything and AMD Overdrive just crashes.

I am gonna grabbing a kill-a-watt to see what she's pulling from the wall with the onboard ASpeed crappy video as well as adding a GTX 470 to it. I'm pretty sure the 850W power supply should be more than sufficient. I'm also going to re-format once this BigAdv unit is done and use Win2K8 x64 R2 vs. Win7. I just put Win7 on there because it was getting late last night and I wanted to see what she'd do ASAP.

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to going with Windows 2008 rather than Windows 7? I didn't even think Windows 7 could support a 24 core system as I thought that they would limit it so that people would be forced into buying the more expensive server and enterprise versions of Windows.

Either way, can't wait to see what you do. You have my dream rig right there as i've been dreaming of dual 12 core Magnys ever since I got into folding. I really really hate Intel, and would really like to come back to AMD for my next folding rig.

You just want a 24 core system so you can try to get that mower out and give me a new haircut:D...

If someone is able to get K10STAT working 100% with one of these boards, then I will be picking up a pair of them this fall/winter as soon as my attorney wraps this settlement up..It has to be finished within the next four months so yay for me!

You just want a 24 core system so you can try to get that mower out and give me a new haircut:D...

If someone is able to get K10STAT working 100% with one of these boards, then I will be picking up a pair of them this fall/winter as soon as my attorney wraps this settlement up..It has to be finished within the next four months so yay for me!

That was going to be my time frame as well as i'm hoping to have enough saved up by then. However, i'm tempted to raid my entertainment budget right now though to buy a new Colt or S&W .357 magnum revolver. It will just depend as I hate waiting. Maybe we'll even see a price drop by then.

how many PPD do those guns produce?

more then enough :p

if i had to id buy my S&W .357 again before buying another computer.. well worth the asinine cost for ammo.. but luckly i live in washington now and ammo is dirt cheap.. :D

If I have some $$ left over after getting a AR-15 I'd like to sell my GTX275 and pick up 2x GTX460's.

But if I do that I will need to pick up 2 more of these.....
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VW246H-2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279854959&sr=8-1

Nice to see someone else here that appreciates good firearms. Guns can't fold, but I sure do love them. I've been debating on picking up a shotgun or a .357 magnum revolver to supplement my current 9mm for home protection, but I would hate to raid my entertainment budget as I really want to be able to afford a dual Magny Cour rig by the end of this year. Looking for something that has a lot more stopping power(one shot stop) than the Glock has as I live in a bad neighborhood. Especially if someone is hopped up on drugs, stopping power is critical as you may only have a chance to pull off one shot.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice to see someone else here that appreciates good firearms. Guns can't fold, but I sure do love them. I've been debating on picking up a shotgun or a .357 magnum revolver to supplement my current 9mm for home protection, but I would hate to raid my entertainment budget as I really want to be able to afford a dual Magny Cour rig by the end of this year. Looking for something that has a lot more stopping power(one shot stop) than the Glock has as I live in a bad neighborhood. Especially if someone is hopped up on drugs, stopping power is critical as you may only have a chance to pull off one shot.

well if you want something to do thats fun on the weekend.. get a 12 gauge and do some sports clay shooting with it.. im sure there are some places there that do it.. fun as hell.. i started back when i was 10 and have loved it ever since..

I know little about guns, and don't own any, but I've gone clay shooting and that's a blast.

what what am I saying? LESS GUNS MOAR D

I don't think so, but I may also try a Linux distro out and see what happens.

I've been able to downclock/underclock using K10Stat and have been able to undervolt the CPUs but going over 1.9Ghz hasn't worked yet.

I have it in the case and running, but I have to clean it up. I just put everything in to test and ensure she's all good, and she is :D

BTW, I put it in a Lian Li PC-P80. Here's a photo I took without flash while running:

img0209pu.jpg

Here's a chip photo of the back/pin area:

img0196gg.jpg

Here's one of it on the mobo tray with two DIMMs per "group". It now has four DIMMs in each for full quad-channel per chip bandwidth:

img0206yy.jpg

Oh goodness that Lian Li case is a MONSTER! It absolutely dwarfs my HAF932 in my gaming rig, and I thought this was huge. BTW, I don't think Linux is able to run bigadv yet, so you would have to stick with Windows for that right now.

Kendrak, I think he mentioned he is getting 55k ppd right now on a 2685.

holy shit.. no cpu pins.. FINALLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! took you long enough AMD WTF!!

nice setup BTW..

so i guess there is a way to overclock the magny's using k10stat.. but you have to go in and modify the cpu registry.. heres a link some what explaining it if you want to give it a shot.. i see if i can find anymore info.. but i do know some one had an early ES 1.7ghz dual 12 core magny running at 3.2ghz though it kept throttling due to heat when he was benchmarking it..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3977930&postcount=137

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3995801&postcount=90

and heres the original thread im finding it all in if anyone wants to read it and try to figure this shiznit out..
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233565

most of the interesting overclocking stuff starts on page 3...

Last edited:
Maybe this is a dumb question, what kind of HSFs can be used on M-C setups?

Maybe this is a dumb question, what kind of HSFs can be used on M-C setups?

um those pure copper ones you see in the picture.. lol..doubt any of the extreme coolers will fit it.. so your only other choice would be custom water blocks and water cooling..

ok scratch the idea of trying to overclocking the magny's looks like only the ES models were unlocked.. the retail magny's are completely locked so you cant change anything..

holy shit.. no cpu pins.. FINALLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! took you long enough AMD WTF!!

nice setup BTW..

IIRC their past server sockets have been no pins on the CPU as well......hope they move the same direction for the consumer market......ive been lucky myself and not bent many pins...

Aw shucks, I really wanted to see 24 cores at 3GHz under water, that would have kicked out some serious ppd.

Ok, here is the new question I wanted to ask you guys.......

Bloomfield, Thuban, dual 2.0ghz 8 core Magnys, or wait?

After checking my budget, I can definately fit dual 2.0ghz 8 core Magnys in a dual G34 board as those processors are currently $280 each at newegg. However i'm concerned that this processor may not generate much in the way of points considering that a very highly overclocked Gulftown will produce almost as much as dual 1.9ghz 12 core Magnys will.

However, going with this setup would let me get by with only 8 single gig sticks(1 gig per processor), and it would hopefully be upgradable to Bulldozer at some point in the future since the server versions of Bulldozer will support both socket C32 and G34.

wait.. i wouldnt go any lower then the 2.3ghz 8 core magny's if i went that route.. the 300mhz makes a huge difference..

Back