Bloomfield, Thuban, or wait

man, those Magnys sure have a cool factor about them, but I'm just afraid you'd end up in the ppd range that you could have pulled off with a single i7 rig.

man, those Magnys sure have a cool factor about them, but I'm just afraid you'd end up in the ppd range that you could have pulled off with a single i7 rig.

well the big advantage the magny's have is the quad channel memory and it shows it makes quite a difference when they compared it to the x5650 though it only beat it by 500 or so PPD on the A2 bigadv WU's.. it shows how much it benefits from physical cores and quad channel verse 12 physical 12 logical running 460mhz faster then the 12 core magny's and having triple channel memory..

i mean hell if you had the money to waste just think what you could do with 4 2.2ghz 12 core magny's on a 4P motherboard.. would just be nuts.. based on the A2 numbers it would be roughly 130k PPD on a single system pulling about 650ish watts from the wall..

wait.. i wouldnt go any lower then the 2.3ghz 8 core magny's if i went that route.. the 300mhz makes a huge difference..

That's the problem as the 2.3ghz octocore Magnys cost significantly more than the 2.0ghz octocores. $550 versus $280 for a 300mhz difference.

Yeah, that is what i'm afraid of as it is clear that overclocks are needed to get the most production, which is something that you can't do on a dual socket G34 board right now. The only thing that might make it worthwhile is that Bulldozer will be supporting socket G34, although the motherboard manufacturer might try to be a prick and not offer bios updates. With any current affordable Intel solutions, you know that LGA 1366 is getting ready to be canned when Sandy Bridges comes out.If I could budget for a $1000cpu right now though, I would likely get a Gulftown without hesitation based on the numbers you guys are putting up. The fact that a highly overclocked Gulftown can come within 6000pts of a 1.9ghz dual 12 core Magny is unbelievable.

I noticed quad channel memory really makes a difference. LGA2011 is something to look forward too. Yes, I sense the cool factor with them too.

At the end of the day, my recommendation is either to (1) jump on an x58 system, take the 20-30k ppd, and be happy, or (2) wait.

AMDGamer,

Why don't you simply sell off your current i7 and pick up a 32nm hexcore? You said you can afford the dual MC's @ 280 each, so if you took that amount plus what you get for your i7 you could easily find a hexcore on sale or slightly used..Didn't Fry's have them for $700 a few weeks ago?

Why don't you simply sell off your current i7 and pick up a 32nm hexcore? You said you can afford the dual MC's @ 280 each, so if you took that amount plus what you get for your i7 you could easily find a hexcore on sale or slightly used..Didn't Fry's have them for $700 a few weeks ago?
There's an idea. You will likely come up a bit short but you'll get some extra funds by doing it. Unless you really want the M-C system. I also agree with others that at 1.9GHz, you're better off waiting until your budget increases to afford the faster chips, or until they drop some in price. If you can't OC, almost anything under ~2.3GHz these days is pretty much limited for folding, IMO.

I was going to wait but i'm going to take a risk and go second hand and try for my -bigadv rig this year. I've had both good and bad experiences with second hand but at the moment is the only way i am going to start playing big. Also bear in mind 2/4 socket systems still command a price premium after single socket solutions have been replaced by the latest and greatest.

Even if i only keep the rig for 12-18months i will lose less than if i got some more gpu's now - the one i got a couple of weeks ago is duff so no more gpu's for me until they bring out dual gpu fermi cards.

My first i7 920 d0, gigabyte ud5, and 6gb Corsair were all purchased secondhand. Still using the same hardware.

AMDGamer,

That thought did occur to me while I was laying in bed trying to get myself to sleep. I would rather hold on to my current rig simply because I am going to try to pick up a Gulftown for it second hand once Sandy Bridges comes out as i'm sure the "first to have one" folks will be ebaying their Gulftowns. I am just going to hope that AMD is going to offer us something more impressive than their current Thubans.

Especially since Micro Center sells i7 930's for $199, I would probably be limited in how much I could get for it second hand anyway. I feel so sorry for you folks who don't live near a Micro Center.

At this point, I think i'm just going to wait. However with there only being a month of summer left, I seriously am thinking about picking up a pair of eVGA GTX 480's as it would function as a rather nice space heater. I always flirt with this idea though and always turn it down in the end.

Especially since Micro Center sells i7 930's for $199, I would probably be limited in how much I could get for it second hand anyway. I feel so sorry for you folks who don't live near a Micro Center.
Feel even more sorry for people north of the border where everything everywhere is generally more expensive... :(

At this point, I think i'm just going to wait. However with there only being a month of summer left, I seriously am thinking about picking up a pair of eVGA GTX 480's as it would function as a rather nice space heater. I always flirt with this idea though and always turn it down in the end.
Either option would be fantastic for folding. If you also play games a good amount, then the video card option is by far the best one.

Feel even more sorry for people north of the border where everything everywhere is generally more expensive... :(

Either option would be fantastic for folding. If you also play games a good amount, then the video card option is by far the best one.

That's the thing as i've already got a pair of XFX 5850 black editions in my gaming rig. If I got a pair of Fermis, it would be for pure folding. Since my monitor only runs at a maximum of 1366x768, twin GTX 480's would be pure overkill anyway. This is one of the reasons why I don't run my gaming rig for folding as the power draw is just too great to justify getting 7-8k ppd on the cpu client.

dude, sell those 5850s

I know they're sweet, trust me, I wish I had a couple ASUS ARES 5870s

However, the fact is, they ain't any good for folding. So, do what I did, sell off your ATI cards and jam some folding monsters in there.

dude, sell those 5850s

However, the fact is, they ain't any good for folding. So, do what I did, sell off your ATI cards and jam some folding monsters in there.

um........my forum screen name is what again? :eek:

Besides, my gaming rig is unable to run dual nVidia cards in SLI. My particular chipset on that motherboard only supports Crossfire.

yeah, I understand your loyalty.

I've been an ATI fan for years. Started with my Radeon 8500, then continued with a 9500 Pro, X800XT AIW AGP, then moved to PCIe with a X1900GT, X1900XT. However, once the nvidia GPU client came out, I had to make the tough decision to buy an 8800GTS for my "office" pc. My gaming rig had a 3870 at the time, which was later upgraded to 3870 + 3870x2 tri fire, 4870 512MB crossfire, then a 4870x2.

Eventually, given the lackluster folding performance of ATI, I decided to vote with my wallet and wait until ATI/AMD gets their act together on the computing side of things. I realized I could sell my 4870x2 and get two GTX260s which would out produce the x2 by 400%. I haven't looked back.

You could really kick your folding farm into high gear by selling off those GPUs and replacing them with nvidia gear. Sell your whole AMD rig, build an i7 rig with a couple 470s or 480s, and pocket the cash you'd have left in your upgrade fund for the day when AMD becomes viable on the folding front again.

I'd rather wait for now. The problem is that I really like my current setup and have no desire to change it for gaming. I am also really getting super tired of nVidia's TWIMTBP garbage as I see no reason to tie up GPU's the way they do it to sell your physx. I see it more as a scam to lock you into nVidia's side and to force you to buy another graphics card from them. I have yet to see all 4 cores in my P2 965 at 100% utilization when I play games.

ATI only appears to not be relevant for folding because Stanford still doesn't have a decent client. On Pande's blog, it appears that a decent ATI GPU3 client is due out very soon. Especially considering how well ATI does in BOINC stuff, there is very little excuse for Stanford not having an ATI client that is actually optimized.

yeah, I understand your loyalty.

I've been an ATI fan for years. Started with my Radeon 8500, then continued with a 9500 Pro, X800XT AIW AGP, then moved to PCIe with a X1900GT, X1900XT. However, once the nvidia GPU client came out, I had to make the tough decision to buy an 8800GTS for my "office" pc. My gaming rig had a 3870 at the time, which was later upgraded to 3870 + 3870x2 tri fire, 4870 512MB crossfire, then a 4870x2.

Eventually, given the lackluster folding performance of ATI, I decided to vote with my wallet and wait until ATI/AMD gets their act together on the computing side of things. I realized I could sell my 4870x2 and get two GTX260s which would out produce the x2 by 400%. I haven't looked back.

You could really kick your folding farm into high gear by selling off those GPUs and replacing them with nvidia gear. Sell your whole AMD rig, build an i7 rig with a couple 470s or 480s, and pocket the cash you'd have left in your upgrade fund for the day when AMD becomes viable on the folding front again.

dude, sell those 5850s

lol im going back to ATI.. lost interest in gpu folding.. not worth the power usage and hell im just sick of nvidia period..

lol im going back to ATI.. lost interest in gpu folding.. not worth the power usage and hell im just sick of nvidia period..

Lets hope that Stanford finally releases a good client for ATI cards. I used to be a hardcore nVidia fan who exclusively bought only eVGA cards until they started with this TWIMTBP crap.

Lets hope that Stanford finally releases a good client for ATI cards. I used to be a hardcore nVidia fan who exclusively bought only eVGA cards until they started with this TWIMTBP crap.

TWIMTBP? whats that mean

Sorry....I just can't help myself!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=twimtbp

I'm so sorry :)

BTW, Sandy Bridge is going to be quad core until at least a year from now. It's slated in Intel's "Mainstream" category until then....might mean x58 is going to be the top end chipset for another year.

DAMNIT...........

Since I don't have the money for my dream rig at this time(i'm only 50-60% there), I was kinda hoping we'd be seeing some hardcore Gulftown killer with the release of Sandy Bridges later this year. From what this sounds like, Gulftown will be the top dog for quite a while longer. I am so hoping that AMD releases something really cool before then like a desktop Magny Cour chip with high clocks?

10e, out of curiosity what kind of cooling system is this for your 24 core rig? I noticed that the only company making a HSF for socket G34 cpus is Dynatron. It looks rather different and the reviews i've read for the Dynatron HSF is that it is very loud and doesn't seem to keep the cpu very cool as a few reviewers were complaining of temps above 60 degrees.

I don't think so, but I may also try a Linux distro out and see what happens.

I've been able to downclock/underclock using K10Stat and have been able to undervolt the CPUs but going over 1.9Ghz hasn't worked yet.

I have it in the case and running, but I have to clean it up. I just put everything in to test and ensure she's all good, and she is :D

BTW, I put it in a Lian Li PC-P80. Here's a photo I took without flash while running:

img0209pu.jpg

Here's a chip photo of the back/pin area:

img0196gg.jpg

Here's one of it on the mobo tray with two DIMMs per "group". It now has four DIMMs in each for full quad-channel per chip bandwidth:

img0206yy.jpg

10e, out of curiosity what kind of cooling system is this for your 24 core rig? I noticed that the only company making a HSF for socket G34 cpus is Dynatron. It looks rather different and the reviews i've read for the Dynatron HSF is that it is very loud and doesn't seem to keep the cpu very cool as a few reviewers were complaining of temps above 60 degrees.

this one http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=1-3-289&id=211&in=0 http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=1-3-289&id=229&in=0

see how in the corners of the fan.. see the little plastic insert holding the fan in.. hes got it on the bottom left and top right of the left cpu(last picture) and the bottom right and top left of the right cpu(last picture)..

easier way of doing it is just using a dab of silicone in each corner.. if you want to change fans.. you just twist and pull..

see how in the corners of the fan.. see the little plastic insert holding the fan in.. hes got it on the bottom left and top right of the left cpu(last picture) and the bottom right and top left of the right cpu(last picture)..

easier way of doing it is just using a dab of silicone in each corner.. if you want to change fans.. you just twist and pull..

Ahh I see, but it looks a little risky like it could come off once you put the motherboard in a tower and set it vertically. I'm just mulling my options.

In terms of cooling solutions for those G34 Magnys, there doesn't seem to be much as Dynatron holds a monopoly. Those Dynatron HSF combos according to their website have the potential to be extremely loud. 51-56 decibals at a maximum of 8000rpms? Good grief. A few reviews i've read around the internets seems to indicate that they get VERY loud under full 100% utilization.and that they don't seem to cool very well under full load. Too bad there arn't any other options other than Dynatron right now, because I wonder whether there are plenty of Magny customers who are just dying for a quieter and more effective cooler.

go with the copper heatsink that hes using.. they work great.. theres a reason they have been using them for years.. just use your own fans on them and use the silicone trick i mentioned to mount them..

go with the copper heatsink that hes using.. they work great.. theres a reason they have been using them for years.. just use your own fans on them and use the silicone trick i mentioned to mount them..

http://www.tt-itbu.com/product/Server/CLS0015/CLS0015.htm

It looks like Thermaltake may be planning on coming out with a slew of G34 coolers. Here is one that can handle upto 140watts(the Dynatrons are limited to 85-115watts), and max decibals is at 36.4 which is much quieter than the 51-56 of the Dynatron HSF's.

http://www.tt-itbu.com/product/Server/CLS0014/CLS0014.htm

Here is a passive solution that can also handle upto 140 watts while Dynatron's solution can only handle 85 watts.

I am only interested in this stuff as a dual Magny system is still one of my options for this winter when I can scrape together enough money. It helps to plan now as i'm realizing things are far more complex in the multiprocessor server arena of stuff.

edit: here is some more stuff from TT http://www.tt-itbu.com/product/Server/amd_2u.htm

the heatsink 10e's using is still better then that first thermaltake hsf.. most of the stuff dynatron has is junk.. but those pure copper heatsinks hes using are the best when you pair it with your own fan.. the other ones look like remakes of the stock HSF that AMD already uses.. instead of splitting the pipes 2 on each side and taking advantage of how long the socket is and putting the heat pipes on 1 side of the heatsink.. but seeing has how they are unoverclockable 140w of cooling really isnt all that necessary..

btw the 2.1ghz 12 core magny just hit newegg.. for $999.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105264

seems to me that strapping a fan on a passive hs has to be a decent cooling solution. If it can handle 120w in passive mode, it's gotta handle plenty of heat with a fan strapped to it.

the heatsink 10e's using is still better then that first thermaltake hsf.. most of the stuff dynatron has is junk.. but those pure copper heatsinks hes using are the best when you pair it with your own fan.. the other ones look like remakes of the stock HSF that AMD already uses.. instead of splitting the pipes 2 on each side and taking advantage of how long the socket is and putting the heat pipes on 1 side of the heatsink.. but seeing has how they are unoverclockable 140w of cooling really isnt all that necessary..

btw the 2.1ghz 12 core magny just hit newegg.. for $999.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105264

I don't think AMD actually ships any type of stock heat sink and fan combo with the Magnys, as i've yet to see a single store that included one. All of them including Newegg sell them as cpu only. The 2.1ghz 12 core Magny has also been on sale at Newegg for several months now. The prices must have just went down as they were $1099 each just last week.

I am pretty much used to desktop processors all coming with a stock HSF. With the Thermaltake Magny HSF's being rated as being significantly quieter than the Dynatrons, I wonder whether their design that allows for upto 140 watts being one of the reasons why. At a max of 115 watts, it sounds like the Dynatrons would be at their limit. It also adds a margin of safety in case I lose my central air unit or something like that.

We'll see though as I am only mulling what my options will be this winter. I really want to return to the AMD side of things, and at least we have confirmation from AMD that Bulldozer will utillize socket G34.

I don't think AMD actually ships any type of stock heat sink and fan combo with the Magnys, as i've yet to see a single store that included one. All of them including Newegg sell them as cpu only. The 2.1ghz 12 core Magny has also been on sale at Newegg for several months now. The prices must have just went down as they were $1099 each just last week.

I am pretty much used to desktop processors all coming with a stock HSF. With the Thermaltake Magny HSF's being rated as being significantly quieter than the Dynatrons, I wonder whether their design that allows for upto 140 watts being one of the reasons why. At a max of 115 watts, it sounds like the Dynatrons would be at their limit. It also adds a margin of safety in case I lose my central air unit or something like that.

We'll see though as I am only mulling what my options will be this winter. I really want to return to the AMD side of things, and at least we have confirmation from AMD that Bulldozer will utillize socket G34.

but see your still missing my point.. you are looking at reviews that all come with dynatron fans on them.. the HSF that 10e is using doesnt come with ANY fans.. hence why his fans are cooler master fans..the heatsinks hes using are designed to be passive or actively cooled.. so when it comes to noise you have a shit ton of options on what fans you want to use.. hell server fans period arent ment to be quiet.. they are ment to just cool the processor by any means so most of them run really high rpm's since they are designed to be in 1U or 2U cases..

but see your still missing my point.. you are looking at reviews that all come with dynatron fans on them.. the HSF that 10e is using doesnt come with ANY fans.. hence why his fans are cooler master fans..the heatsinks hes using are designed to be passive or actively cooled.. so when it comes to noise you have a shit ton of options on what fans you want to use.. hell server fans period arent ment to be quiet.. they are ment to just cool the processor by any means so most of them run really high rpm's since they are designed to be in 1U or 2U cases..

Yes, but I actually would be very nervous about the whole notion of sticking a fan onto a heat sink that was designed to work passively. I am just worried that it would fall off over time without being clipped or bolted on like we see with our desktop setups. The passive heat sink from dynatron is rated at 85 watts versus Thermaltake's passive heat sink which is rated at 140 watts.

I actually wonder how well a set of passive heat sinks could work without a fan as that would be interesting!

Yes, but I actually would be very nervous about the whole notion of sticking a fan onto a heat sink that was designed to work passively. I am just worried that it would fall off over time without being clipped or bolted on like we see with our desktop setups. The passive heat sink from dynatron is rated at 85 watts versus Thermaltake's passive heat sink which is rated at 140 watts.

I actually wonder how well a set of passive heat sinks could work without a fan as that would be interesting!

passively at full load.. not very well but most servers dont sit at full load.. hell most of the time they sit down clocked at 800mhz idling away.. but ive already shown 2 ways of mounting a fan on that heatsink so i give up..

passively at full load.. not very well but most servers dont sit at full load.. hell most of the time they sit down clocked at 800mhz idling away.. but ive already shown 2 ways of mounting a fan on that heatsink so i give up..

Dude, don't be bummed that you failed. You have no idea how risk averse of a person I am. People make fun of me and tell me that I would make the world's ultimate bean counter as I could keep the dreams of marketing people who have gone crazy in check. I am so risk adverse that you wouldn't want me managing your portfolio as I would be afraid to take any risks with it and thus potentially give you a higher return. I have my savings locked up in corporate bonds with AAA rated companies. I do own Ford stock, but that is because I love Ford so much.

I'm just afraid that given enough heat/cool cycles and so on, something that is not clipped or bolted on could ultimately fatigue and fail, thus causing the fan to fall off.

My octo setup started out passive. Then when I got the 1 U HS's, they were well over 60db, and I was only running 4 lol

I'm gonna side with him here, I'd go for the passive solid copperunits. Putyour own huge and quiet fan on and you'd be golden. Passives work by having air flow thru them from your case so putting a fan on would only help. Especially since we don't know yet the OC idea on these chips. Go with monkey on this one. Hell, before I got my fan units I could just stack 3-4 of the passive heataink on top of eachother on the chip and they worked pretty good just like that. I doubt you'll see a true like setup on these and I think right now with what all we know they'd just be overkill anyways.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Dremel a small hole in each corner just enough to get a paper clip in. Bend it enough and youl have a custom (and the rightsize too) fan mount
I spent almost 2 grand all said and done for Skynet and the second fan for each of my trues are held on with paper clips. Sometimes the best fixes are the easiest ones

This is [H]ard after all, but I still think even the glue should hold. Maybe a few drops of high temp silicone?

Dremel a small hole in each corner just enough to get a paper clip in. Bend it enough and youl have a custom (and the rightsize too) fan mount
I spent almost 2 grand all said and done for Skynet and the second fan for each of my trues are held on with paper clips. Sometimes the best fixes are the easiest ones

This is [H]ard after all, but I still think even the glue should hold. Maybe a few drops of high temp silicone?

Ahh! Now i know what you and Monkey mean by silicone. I didn't register for a while and it just came to me. You guys mean using a silicone adhesive like how I used to use RTV after changing the differential fluid on an older Ford of mine to seal it before putting the cover back on. Yeah that stuff is almost permanent and would work fine if it can handle a differential cover.

Back