• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Biostar Tforce overclocking stories??

I finally got my TForce 6100-939 :) But I'm still waiting for my damn Opteron!

I saw that someone else is running a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on their TForce, but I just want to make extra sure that it will fit before I buy it.

So, will it?
 
well i got a biostar 6100 tforce 754 sck and sempron 2500+ and a aspire 500w dual+12 power supply . got it to going and went strait to the bios in the over clocking section you have yor front side bus then a blank space then htt is there no multiplier options for this chip set or am i just missing something sorry this is my first time on a board with hyper transport. maybe it is the sempron locking it or something like that .so far with the front side bus and a little nudge to the vcore i have hit 300 frontside bus . changing the htt from1x - 5x dose not chang anything cpu-z says
 
My A03 version came with the A20 bios. It's running the B02 bios right now and I can do 300 HTT in the bios alone. Havent even touched clockgen yet. Just made sure it was stable at 2.7GHZ and that was good enough for now. Posted at 2.8 but wouldnt load into Windows. Ganted I didn't want to up the volts any more as the temps were to high for my liking.
 
computer
amd sempron 2500+ 1.4mhz 1.4 vcore stock
zalman 7000b-cu led
biostar 6100 tforce 754
using on board video and sound for now
aspire 500w dual +12v
modded case with lots of light and 3 80m exaust, side 80mm, front 120mm
windows xp
 
All the bios are the prob. They are still bata crap. :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with the board in a OC. Use clockgen in combination with the bios B02 and you'll max out the cpu long before you max out the board at 450fsb. Rare cpus get upto 430. Amazing what I seen this board do. :D
 
I'm stonewalled at 225. If I go any higher than that I get a reset similar to someone hitting the reset switch.

I've tried these configs with the B02 bios:

230 1:1 1T 2-2-2-5 1.4v
230 1:1 1T 2.5-4-4-8 1.4v
230 1:1 2T 2-2-2-5 1.4v
230 1:1 2T 2.5-4-4-8 1.4v

In each case I have ht set dropped to 4x. I know this chip and ram is stable to 2.6ghz 1:1. Any ideas how to proceed?
 
Personally I wouldn't worry about the memory untill last. It may do 1:1 on another board, but you're better off getting the CPU alone up to 2.6 first. Lower the HT multiplier to 3 put a divider of 133 on the memory and lossen the timings, and start upping the CPU HTT. Once you have it stable then play with the HT then the memory. Mine for whatever reason likes an HT multi of 4 @ 290HTT then at 3. Memory took a while to get at it's current divider of 166 too. Don't forget to lower the NB<-->SB Multi in "Advance Chipset Features" I believe. It may just be me but when I don't alter that multi, just the HT in the Overclocking menu, it wont load properly. Also the volts seem to be off in the B02 and C02 bios from what I've read: ie 1.475 =1.44 - 1.45. Maybe up your volts to 1.45. Hope I could help you. :)
 
MikeyB said:
You're a hero.

I looked at the NB -> SB and NB <- SB settings. Changing NB -> SB from 4x to 3x did the trick. NB <- SB from 4x to 3x caused no post.

http://rbst.net/biostar.jpg

:cool:
Lol, Eclipse SDK. First thing I saw, almost died. That thing's huge, heheh... :rolleyes:

Nice OC btw. Think you can get it to 300?
 
I just received my board and am running 9*268 @ V1.4 on a Venice 3000+, if I up the voltage I can get 2.70 @ 1.70v (but don't wanna run at a high voltage).

My Questions -

1) the nb / sb voltage option no longer seems to be included in the shipping bios, anyone know why? Should I care? I can get my HTT to 325 though I haven't done any real testing at that speed.

2) My cpu multiplier only can be changed in sw (crystalcpuid or Tforce OC utility). I've contacted Biostar but they don't acknowledge its a widespread issue. Anyone else see this?

3) Why aren't people posting their vcores with thier results? I
 
Hey no prob, glad I could help you guys :D Now if only Biostar would release a bios that would PROPERLY measure the volts again and throw the chipset voltage back on that would be great!
 
I don't mean to turn this into a support forum, but, can anyone tell me if they have problems with the t6100-939 just BOOTING? I have my ps/2 keyboard plugged in and everything ready to go, turn the computer on, and it goes to the biostar screen - "press f2 for bios or tab for something". I'd try pressing either one, but it doesn't respond to my input at all so it's stuck at that screen! This is not overclocked or anything.

I'm sending it back unless this is a known problem with a workaround. Thanks.
 
yikess said:
I don't mean to turn this into a support forum, but, can anyone tell me if they have problems with the t6100-939 just BOOTING? I have my ps/2 keyboard plugged in and everything ready to go, turn the computer on, and it goes to the biostar screen - "press f2 for bios or tab for something". I'd try pressing either one, but it doesn't respond to my input at all so it's stuck at that screen! This is not overclocked or anything.

I'm sending it back unless this is a known problem with a workaround. Thanks.

reset the bios? try only one stick of ram?
 
Pretty sure your problem is the PS/2 keyboard. Get a cheap USB keyboard and see if that fixes your problem.
 
I'm facing a new problem with overclocking this board. I can get the board with B02 and C02 bios stable at 331fsb with ClockGen and my CPU can go 315fsb without lowering multiplier. I've been running these stability tests for the board and CPU with one 1gb ram in single channel.

Today I got a working 2GB set of G.Skill PC4000 HZ and it was stable from package at 257gsb 1:1 dual-channel.

Problem is that I can't get it stable at 310fsb with 166:200 memory divider! :mad: Board can do 310fsb, CPU can do 310fsb and memory can do 254fsb but not together.

Could the use of onboard graphichs cause problems?

And does anybone know what was the compatibility issue with certain Samsung memories what was fixed in ma20 bios?
 
The fact that you even got to 300fsb is awesome! Are you using the s939 version? Anyhow, I'm guessing either the passive cooling on your NB and SB is slowing you down. Replace the passive heatsinks with active ones and you might gain more headroom. Other than that, 2gb of ram does bring down overclockability. I'd stick with two 512 sticks if you want a high OC, at least until 1gb sticks start becoming better quality.
 
Bugs said:
I'm facing a new problem with overclocking this board. I can get the board with B02 and C02 bios stable at 331fsb with ClockGen and my CPU can go 315fsb without lowering multiplier. I've been running these stability tests for the board and CPU with one 1gb ram in single channel.

Today I got a working 2GB set of G.Skill PC4000 HZ and it was stable from package at 257gsb 1:1 dual-channel.

Problem is that I can't get it stable at 310fsb with 166:200 memory divider! :mad: Board can do 310fsb, CPU can do 310fsb and memory can do 254fsb but not together.

Could the use of onboard graphichs cause problems?

And does anybone know what was the compatibility issue with certain Samsung memories what was fixed in ma20 bios?

yes, igp took around 10htt from me.
 
The Biostar is running really well for me now.

Board revision A02, bios revision B02.

Key settings for me
NB -> SB changed from 4x to 3x, NB <- SB left alone

Opteron 170 @ 260x10 at 1.4v
Ram set from 200 to 166 in bios, 1T 2-2-2-5

14 hours prime stable
 
MikeyB said:
Opteron 170 @ 260x10 at 1.4v
Ram set from 200 to 166 in bios, 1T 2-2-2-5

For what that 170 cost you, you should be able to get 2700 out of it fairly easily like my X2.
Try 266x10 or 271x10 which will get your ram moving faster at 225 or 230.
Even if you have to drop to 2.5-3-3-7 you'll still get more bandwidth.
You seem to be using 0.05-0.10v less than me though, so that's good.

Note the extra 1mhz on the clocks. I find I have to do that on this board because it calculates the final rate incorrectly? Might be because of the /12 clock on the ram, not sure.

By the way, for those pushing active cooling on the northbridge - it didn't help even a little for me.
 
M4rk said:
The fact that you even got to 300fsb is awesome! Are you using the s939 version? Anyhow, I'm guessing either the passive cooling on your NB and SB is slowing you down. Replace the passive heatsinks with active ones and you might gain more headroom. Other than that, 2gb of ram does bring down overclockability. I'd stick with two 512 sticks if you want a high OC, at least until 1gb sticks start becoming better quality.


I'm cooling my SB with water and so it shouldn't be the problem. I believe that reaching past 300fsb requires active or watercooling to chipset with this board.

NB is still with passive cooled but i just noticed that it's running extremely hot now. Previously I haven't noticed that the NB would run so hot. I have to try does it have something to do with 2GB memory or using the onboards graphichs and 2GB at the same time?
 
The onboard graphics are located on the NB. Cool it down or you won't get very much further.
 
Since it's appeared that the onboard ethernet gets a touch flaky with overclocks, (not so sure about the sound) is it generally recommended to use a pci nic instead?

Also, is it recommended to use some sort of pci sound card for audio, or is it fine for gaming/non-highend audio?

Even if it will be tight with the video card slot positioned where it is...:(
 
Satyrist said:
Since it's appeared that the onboard ethernet gets a touch flaky with overclocks, (not so sure about the sound) is it generally recommended to use a pci nic instead?

Also, is it recommended to use some sort of pci sound card for audio, or is it fine for gaming/non-highend audio?

Even if it will be tight with the video card slot positioned where it is...:(
I though it was the Jetway's LAN that screws up at high clocks. I've never heard any coplaint's about Biostar's LAN.
 
The NIC on this board never worked right for me, regardless of overclock. Audio is great, no skip/stutter even at my highest OC.

vibe said:
For what that 170 cost you, you should be able to get 2700 out of it fairly easily like my X2.
Try 266x10 or 271x10 which will get your ram moving faster at 225 or 230.
Even if you have to drop to 2.5-3-3-7 you'll still get more bandwidth.
You seem to be using 0.05-0.10v less than me though, so that's good.

I'm not sure what settings to change to get this thing over 270. I'll give your suggestions a try , although I doubt this chip can go higher. I never got it over 2.6 on my DFI UltraD. Once I hit 266-267 on the biostar I get prime failure and a hard reboot.
 
MikeyB said:
I never got it over 2.6 on my DFI UltraD. Once I hit 266-267 on the biostar I get prime failure and a hard reboot.

If you are trying to get over 260x10 with just 1.4v you may have hit the power slope of your CPU. Try 1.45v and even 1.50v and you'll go much further.

Here is a great Anandtech article showing the x2/opteron power wall that they hit beyond a certain frequency and need a radical increase in voltage:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2650&p=5
(don't try their insane 1.7v testing, yikes)

On my cpu, to get over 266x10 I have to put 1.55v in there which I don't like to do for very long. It will even boot at 276x10 but never get into windows.

266x10 is where I like to sit at 1.45v for lower temperatures though it does run the ram at 15mhz less than it's capable (220mhz)
 
Has anyone tested if the dividers work properly on this board? I posted a problem running with 166:200 divider with this board and I would like to know if is caused by Samsung UCCC based memory or the board?

Older bioses had Trtw 2 auto and Samsung UCCC don't like less than 3. Issue with Trtw has been fixed in newer bioses but something is not working properly. :confused:

I someone could make me a favor and try to get max out of memory with tight timings and then try to reach with 166:200 divider?
 
Bugs said:
Has anyone tested if the dividers work properly on this board? I posted a problem running with 166:200 divider with this board and I would like to know if is caused by Samsung UCCC based memory or the board?

Older bioses had Trtw 2 auto and Samsung UCCC don't like less than 3. Issue with Trtw has been fixed in newer bioses but something is not working properly. :confused:

I someone could make me a favor and try to get max out of memory with tight timings and then try to reach with 166:200 divider?

Dividers work great for me, 166 down to 100
 
Biostar booted fine with my opteron 148 and crucial ballistix ram. Haven't done much OC yet, been working a lot so not much free time.
 
My first post here.

Just got a refurbed 6100-939 from newwgg for $43 yesterday. It was version 1.0 (mobo only) with B02 bios. Installed a new Opterion 165 (0551 VPMW) and booted into Windows @ 280fsb x9 = 2520gz. Cheap memory 2x512 was set to 166. CPU voltage set to 1.475v (bios=1.5v). But it could only last Prime95 (x2) for 10 minutes or less.

After reading most of of this thread, I decided to replace the B02 with A12 bios. What a difference! I set the cpu to 1.525v (so it would actually get 1.48-1.5v), and it booted into windows @ 295fsb x 9. It has been doing Prime95 for an hour or so. I upped the fsb to 300 using Clockgen, the first core failed Prime95 in a few minutes while the second core was humming along. So I dialed it back to 295x9 and it has priming for 2 hours. I'll do a all night test later.

(BTW, the A12 bios has 0.25v increment above 1.5v for the cpu).

I think I need to replace the cheap PSU because the +12v line is @ 11.74v and the -12v line is reading -3.64v ?????.

So far I am impressed with this board. Also the stock heatpipe/HS is great as the temp has never exceeded 46c (22c room) running Prime95 x2.

That's it for now.
 
Back
Top