• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Biostar Tforce overclocking stories??

Nevermind.....YEA This may not be much of an overclock for most, but to me its almost as good as my good ole 3500+. I got my Sempron 2800+ 64 to 2402.7mhz or 2.4ghz that is a 800mhz overclock I could go much more, but I want to wait until tomarrow when I get a Zalman 92mm heatsink fan or a thermaltake Big typhoon from compusa, some artic silver 5 and a North bridge cooler/fan.

Haven't done any test like sandra or 3dmark yet, but surely will. I have a CPU-Z pic I will post it as soon as I find my cable for my camera or I'll just borrow my moms. Never thought a cheap processor like this would go so far, Igot a lucky draw.

My goal is to get to 2.6 or 2.7 ghz on air thats a 1ghz overclock and right now im on stock cooling w/stock thermal paste or pad whatever AMD calls it. Idle now: 32.2c full load (well while playin medal of honor or something/windows media player) 36.3-38.9c
 
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=55250
http://img2.zol.com.cn/product/2/679/ce85lKJpVd6wc.jpg
http://img2.zol.com.cn/product/2/681/ce8ko67Y36xo.jpg

Not my OC but makes me wish I had a 2500 with a great memory controler such as this one. 3ghz on a Sempron 64 2500+ on a Tforce6100-S754 finally somebody showed what this mobo can really do. Damn! Just like I was saying too. >_> Not surprising! lol

Well I'll get my venice finally in afew days since I tryed to get one off ebay the guy was miss-informed selling me newcastles. I'm getting my money back then will OC with a venice here soon. I'll just get it from new egg.

Any new updates on the bios better then 02's out yet? I can't wait for a new bios update.
 
KenshinNX60 said:
Nevermind.....YEA This may not be much of an overclock for most, but to me its almost as good as my good ole 3500+. I got my Sempron 2800+ 64 to 2402.7mhz or 2.4ghz that is a 800mhz overclock I could go much more, but I want to wait until tomarrow when I get a Zalman 92mm heatsink fan or a thermaltake Big typhoon from compusa, some artic silver 5 and a North bridge cooler/fan.

Haven't done any test like sandra or 3dmark yet, but surely will. I have a CPU-Z pic I will post it as soon as I find my cable for my camera or I'll just borrow my moms. Never thought a cheap processor like this would go so far, Igot a lucky draw.

My goal is to get to 2.6 or 2.7 ghz on air thats a 1ghz overclock and right now im on stock cooling w/stock thermal paste or pad whatever AMD calls it. Idle now: 32.2c full load (well while playin medal of honor or something/windows media player) 36.3-38.9c

Good job, but don't be afrade to push it. You may get lucky with a great memory controler and have no limit. Don't limit yourself. After you get that cooler go for the 3ghz just for kicks. All semprons normaly max out between 350 to 380htt depending on the cpus memory controler. But if you get real lucky you can get 3ghz or higher. Like I showed. Just in good fun keep on going until you hit a wall. Some don't like 430htt with that sempron 64 2500 that guy had a 110% OC or a 1.6ghz overclock. Thats what these cpus are truely capable of.
 
oh yea best buy has a 120gb hard drive western digital on sale for 59 dollars (no rebates instant savings) IDE not SATA but still a very good deal just thought sumone ppl would like to kno imma get one of those babies today

on topic how do you change the multiplier dont see how to mines at 8 wanna try diffent numbers
 
fobis said:
LOL. I'm pretty sure P-Dub was saying that 939's aren't able to overclock as high as 754's. He was never saying that 754's couldn't go that high...
And honestly, get a clue, dude, the 754's and 939's have different architectures, different memory controllers, etc. That's why the 754's can generally clock higher than the 939's. But, as mentioned by P-Dub and many others multiple times, the 939 CPU's destroy the 754's.
And, oh, yes, just for your information, overclocking DOES require luck and not purely skill. Yes, you have to have some knowledge of how to properly overclock A64's, but you still have to have luck with your motherboard, RAM, and CPU. For example, every single A64 3200+ won't overclock the same. Some may go to 2.4GHz, some may go higher or even lower. I think you can get the picture, even with that thick head of yours.


Anyways, now to the serious post for the INTELLIGENT people **coughnotserge84cough**
I'm thinking of getting an Opteron 165 and some mATX board. I've read through this whole freaking thread and I still haven't reached a conclusion. Should I get the Biostar TForce6100-939 for the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS? I plan to oveclock the crap out of the Opteron 165 (hopefully to 290*9 or something close) in conjunction with 2 sticks of 1GB PC4000 RAM.
I know that the Biostar board is known for its insane overclocking, but it seems to be that the 754 board is in fact the one that overclocks insanely high (due to the CPU's, mainly) and not the 939 board.
The Foxconn board, on the other hand, has a few more features than the Biostar board such as the 7.1ch audio and the Gbit Ethernet adapter. However, this is known to go to a max of 175HTT or something like that.
So I'm in this dilemna and I can't choose which board to get. Can anyone help? Which would be better for the overclocking and stability? I don't really care about the 7.1ch audio or the GBit LAN as I don't have a surround sound system or a GBit Network.
Thanks in advance,
-fobis

You want to know why every AMD OCs diff? Because every chip has a diff memory controler, one maybe better then the other resulting in a better OC or vice versa. Also why super cooling sometimes doesn't work because of the cold bug. Depends on how good the memory controler is. One with out the cold bug can have a possibly unlimited potencial others arn't so lucky. Even FX's reach a limit on phase because of the tollances it has to the cold. Only down side of AMD's are they but the memory controler in the cpu. Bad idea. It can limit the die from going to higher clocks. Thats also why some reversions are better then others. Early E6 E4 and E3's overclock better then newer ones because of that fact, as the memory controlers get more advanced they are less tollarant to out of spec speeds. Depending on your cooling. Steapings matter thats why ppl are so intrested in them core type memory controler reversions all that good stuff.

Newcastles OC sucky... clawhammers vences and so on OC better. Because of there different tweaks done by amd. Every model can be the same but every one will OC diff because they are really totaly diff arcitectures core wise with verious tweaks done to them. The better the core the more expencive it will be. Even tho its the same model. Say you look at new egg sometimes they over price the sucky cpus most of the time the better cores will be much higher say I got a claw hammer below the venice I'm looking at but same model. Costs more, wonder why. because it depends all on there supply, core, memory controler, and reversion. They know what they are selling and how to price it. So there ya go. Learn the steapings on a cpu just by looking at it and you can know what core it is just by the serial number to the day it was made. Most are better the newer they are made most of the time but also depending on its construction. Damn I hope I get a great venice.
 
KenshinNX60 said:
oh yea best buy has a 120gb hard drive western digital on sale for 59 dollars (no rebates instant savings) IDE not SATA but still a very good deal just thought sumone ppl would like to kno imma get one of those babies today

on topic how do you change the multiplier dont see how to mines at 8 wanna try diffent numbers

Your sempron doesn't support cool and quite. Thats too bad. Starts at about 3000+ for semprons. If ya did your options would be like say I had my athlon with a 10x multiplyer. I could get better htt with it with a multiplyer of say 7x or 8x. But a 8x multiplyer will be fine. Just see how far you can get by cranking up the htt of the cpu.

You would pritty much have a extera option in the bios if you could change the multiplyer. I hope your sempron likes volts. Sometimes you can get a better clock with lower volts tho. PCI-E turn to 101htt. This will help. But any sempron can take 1.72v weather it likes it or not. Ppl with DFI's pump 2.1v volts and crazy stuff like that into them some get to max speed at lower then stock volts crazy enough. You'll know your limit when you get to it. It will start to go crazy, but will post. Freeze up in the bios or wile booting. Stuff like that is a true knowning of reaching a cpu limts wall. It can be in a range as little as 5htt for the cpu. Try the looses memory timmings possible again. If you can't get to the berrior I described then your prob not at the limit. It should be memtest86 stable memory wise but the cpu will freeze and make the screen go funky in boot and take upto afew mins even. make the HTT cpu speed about 5 or 10 less and thats your stable max OC. Most possibly.
 
I will surely try to go 380 but uh as far as cooling to help to get this far you think i should get a north bridge fan

And I am thinking about getting a Blue orb 2 heatsink fan from ebay cause it isnt in any store matches my case and is alot cheaper than the zalman but similar design it gets 77.8CFM and its super quiet 17dBA for only 58bucks. You think this will clear my case well really clear my PSU and memory its a 120mm fan and the copper fins. MAybe ill move the memory to slot two for more room ill be upgrading to a gig pc3200 anyway.


blue orb 2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6815360601&fromMakeTrack=true

My case:
http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=382&c=2

and of course profile shots:
http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=303&c=2

http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=305&c=2
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
KenshinNX60 said:
I will surely try to go 380 but uh as far as cooling to help to get this far you think i should get a north bridge fan

And I am thinking about getting a Blue orb 2 heatsink fan from ebay cause it isnt in any store matches my case and is alot cheaper than the zalman but similar design it gets 77.8CFM and its super quiet 17dBA for only 58bucks. You think this will clear my case well really clear my PSU and memory its a 120mm fan and the copper fins. MAybe ill move the memory to slot two for more room ill be upgrading to a gig pc3200 anyway.


blue orb 2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6815360601&fromMakeTrack=true

My case:
http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=382&c=2

and of course profile shots:
http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=303&c=2

http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=305&c=2

A blue orb 2 is deff a good system cooler, cools the intire board. I may get one. A 80mm memory fan is too hard to mob in this new case I have. That would be perfect for extreme cooling. There are others like that too. This one looks to be the best, that airflow is insane. Copper will give you good heat resistance and the aluminum fins will bring the heat away faster then just a all copper heatsink. This is really nice.

Too bad the other 2 links don't work for me.

Get a vantec copper cooling north bridge fan. It is a tight fit. Use artic silver 5 on your north bridge south bridge and heatsink as well. I'll get a link to the cooler. Its one of the only ones I know fits perfect and can get me to a unlimited htt.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835110103
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Serge84 said:
A blue orb 2 is deff a good system cooler, cools the intire board. I may get one. A 80mm memory fan is too hard to mob in this new case I have. That would be perfect for extreme cooling. There are others like that too. This one looks to be the best, that airflow is insane. Copper will give you good heat resistance and the aluminum fins will bring the heat away faster then just a all copper heatsink. This is really nice.

You know everyone always says that "in theory" part about mixed copper and aluminum heatsinks but they never work quite as well as all copper, as long as there is good airflow. The Zalman 7700-cu is pure copper and without the "extra surface area" on the fins, yet I remember seeing a review where it's 2c cooler in the same setup as the blue orb 2. There's a another clone of the Zalman somewhere else too. Can anyone find a consise review of all the heatsinks like that?
 
vibe said:
You know everyone always says that "in theory" part about mixed copper and aluminum heatsinks but they never work quite as well as all copper, as long as there is good airflow. The Zalman 7700-cu is pure copper and without the "extra surface area" on the fins, yet I remember seeing a review where it's 2c cooler in the same setup as the blue orb 2. There's a another clone of the Zalman somewhere else too. Can anyone find a consise review of all the heatsinks like that?

Its how you look at it as your oppinion, depending on airflow, you may not even tell the diff. The diff from copper is that it will stay hotter for longer. Aluminum does not. Copper is a better material for heat resistance and will keep it at a temp longer, aluminum is better for heat to be dstributed faster away. Aluminum will result in your cpu cooling down faster depending on the surface area. Copper is better in its ways like aluminum is, combineing the 2 is the best solution. Well now I have a max cool copper base with aluminum and nickle coated fins with a high performance fan. Works very well for how small it is. In oppnion now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115 This is a good heatsink, the more surface area the better, thats why they make those huge heatsinks. Also cools other parts of the board like the NB if its close to the heatsink and memory. That airflow is like at 80 for just that fan for the blue orb 2. That would be good, If it can't fit, there are 90mm vers of the zalmans. And they make the mixed vers of the aluminum and copper bace fins as well so you get a mix of the 2 if you can't deside what would be better. Their are plunty of reviews on newegg about them all.

Edit can these be used as CPU heatsink fans as well if anybodys ever used them that way I wonder if they will fit on the brackits? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118222
 
I think you would have some clearance issues for starters if you tried using a GPU fan on a CPU.... but if u wanna try it, go ahead an tell us your results :p
 
emptyshell said:
I think you would have some clearance issues for starters if you tried using a GPU fan on a CPU.... but if u wanna try it, go ahead an tell us your results :p

It was just a idea. I won't do it, I was just thinking tho that you could because they do perform good enough to be CPU coolers. They are the right size and such. They are about as big as a video card itself actouly bigger then the 80mm cooler I got on my cpu. Thats why it came to mind. That kind of cooler I would use on a GEforce7800 if I got one anyways I could see if it could fit on the cpu. But I wouldn't really use it. I'll get it for my Geforce6800GS.

I was just curious.
 
Just revamped the wife's rig, using the Tforce S939

Processor - Venice core 3200+ running at 2.5 GHz / 1.55 Volts Core
Multiplier - 10X (stock)
FSB - 250 MHz
HTT - 4x
HSF - Thermalright XC-90
Memory - 2xCVR DDR400 CL2.5 and 2xKingmax DDR400 CL2.5.
Memory voltage - 2.90V
Memory divider set to 166 (thus running the sticks at 208 MHz at CL2.5)
Video - On-board; chipset thermal interface replaced by Ceramique
 
Smoove910 said:
Just wondering if you need 2.9 vdimm on your ram if you have a divider on it.

Depends how fast your running your ram and how fast your timmings are even after a devider is placed. Some like volts more then others. My kingstons like 3.26v, makes them so stable on lower timmings. Ram is all diff, some don't like volts at all. You just got to see what works best. But don't go overboard with the volts.

You don't need volts really if its at stock speed. If your trying to go higher then raise the volts abit if its more speed you want. But when you reach a sertent volts and speed you'll want some cooling for that ram. All depends what your wanting to do.
 
kunsunoke said:
Just revamped the wife's rig, using the Tforce S939

Processor - Venice core 3200+ running at 2.5 GHz / 1.55 Volts Core
Multiplier - 10X (stock)
FSB - 250 MHz
HTT - 4x
HSF - Thermalright XC-90
Memory - 2xCVR DDR400 CL2.5 and 2xKingmax DDR400 CL2.5.
Memory voltage - 2.90V
Memory divider set to 166 (thus running the sticks at 208 MHz at CL2.5)
Video - On-board; chipset thermal interface replaced by Ceramique
Just was curious that since you are essentially running at 208 fsb respectively, why would that require 2.9vdimm?? Isn't that close enough to stock to allow for 2.6-2.7vdimm area?
 
Serge84 said:
Its how you look at it as your oppinion, depending on airflow, you may not even tell the diff. The diff from copper is that it will stay hotter for longer. Aluminum does not. Copper is a better material for heat resistance and will keep it at a temp longer, aluminum is better for heat to be dstributed faster away. Aluminum will result in your cpu cooling down faster depending on the surface area. Copper is better in its ways like aluminum is, combineing the 2 is the best solution. Well now I have a max cool copper base with aluminum and nickle coated fins with a high performance fan. Works very well for how small it is. In oppnion now.
Come on now, seriously...... heat conduction and electrical conduction have high correlation, because both are largely based on electron flow. Everyone knows that copper is a better conductor than aluminum. Aluminum is only used in heatsinks because it is lightweight and possibly easier to manufacture. Don't get into whack theories about "Copper is a better material for heat resistance and will keep it at a temp longer, aluminum is better for heat to be dstributed faster away" unless you really know what you are talking about here even though you say it is your "oppnion".
 
mr-busta said:
Come on now, seriously...... heat conduction and electrical conduction have high correlation, because both are largely based on electron flow. Everyone knows that copper is a better conductor than aluminum. Aluminum is only used in heatsinks because it is lightweight and possibly easier to manufacture. Don't get into whack theories about "Copper is a better material for heat resistance and will keep it at a temp longer, aluminum is better for heat to be dstributed faster away" unless you really know what you are talking about here even though you say it is your "oppnion".
Pwned! QFT.

I normally go by the "more expensive, better product" rule, although sometimes that's completely wrong. Not often with cooling though, especially considering WCing is more expensive than air (sometimes) and phase-change is more expensive than water (most of the time, hopefully at least).
 
Back on topic here. Just finished priming my Opty 165 at 330HTT (330x8=2.644GHz) last night. I was able to do this by setting command rate to 2T. (I had to set it to 2T for me to post with 4 sticks of RAM anyway) I usually wouldn't try to push the HTT this high, but it gave me an extra 30Mhz of RAM clock speed. I'm using the C02 BIOS, but not sure if that really gave it the extra edge or not, I'm thinking it was the 2T setting and 3.3Vdimm.

330htt.JPG
 
3.3VDIMM is probably going to fry your RAM, unless you managed to procure 1GB BH-UTT sticks ;)
 
Yeah, 3.3V is kinda high for those poor Value RAMs. But, I'm actually more concerned about giving the processor 3.3V for the mem controller, I laid down a pretty penny for that thing.

I'll see if I can drop it to 2.9V and loosen up timings.
 
Serge84 said:
Its how you look at it as your oppinion, depending on airflow, you may not even tell the diff. The diff from copper is that it will stay hotter for longer. Aluminum does not. Copper is a better material for heat resistance and will keep it at a temp longer, aluminum is better for heat to be dstributed faster away. Aluminum will result in your cpu cooling down faster depending on the surface area. Copper is better in its ways like aluminum is, combineing the 2 is the best solution. Well now I have a max cool copper base with aluminum and nickle coated fins with a high performance fan. Works very well for how small it is. In oppnion now.

http://www.ibrtses.com/electronics/cooling.html

Check this out. It will answer your question.
 
mr-busta said:
I'll see if I can drop it to 2.9V and loosen up timings.
Yep, 2.9Vdimm works without even needing to loosen timings. Phew! ....Now if I can only break this 2.64Ghz CPU wall.
 
any of you guys have problems with setting your htt to 3x but it goes to 4x instead? i just encountered this problem and wondering if you guys have a solution. i'm using bios CU51MA12RH from the the rhcf website.
 
mr-busta said:
Yeah, 3.3V is kinda high for those poor Value RAMs. But, I'm actually more concerned about giving the processor 3.3V for the mem controller, I laid down a pretty penny for that thing.

I'll see if I can drop it to 2.9V and loosen up timings.

Afaik, that's an old A64 mobo issue. Also, the rumor that AL dissipates heat faster than copper is just that, a rumor. The same size copper heatsink will be better than the same size ALU/CU heatsink.
 
aiya said:
any of you guys have problems with setting your htt to 3x but it goes to 4x instead? i just encountered this problem and wondering if you guys have a solution. i'm using bios CU51MA12RH from the the rhcf website.
Yeah, it's been fixed on B02 and later BIOSes. I'm currently using the C02, and its pretty stable so far.
 
how you guys checking your htt multi? Also my board is seriously undervolting my proc, 1.488v when I put 1.55 in bios >_>
 
mr-busta said:
Yeah, it's been fixed on B02 and later BIOSes. I'm currently using the C02, and its pretty stable so far.

thanks, i'll try that today. will post results when i'm done.
 
sabrewolf732 said:
how you guys checking your htt multi? Also my board is seriously undervolting my proc, 1.488v when I put 1.55 in bios >_>
I use SiSoft Sandra to check HTT multi, look for it in one of the memory info screens.

Ya, for the B02 and later BIOSes, the voltages are way off. I have mine set at 1.65V in BIOS, but in CPU-Z and Speedfan show 1.5V. I really wish also that there was a 1.525V setting instead of jumping from 1.5V to 1.55V, cuz I really want to get at least 2.7GHz prime stable, but that requires me to go to 1.55V where the heat really picks up. I'm right on the edge and I think 1.525V will get me there, but there's no setting for that. Arggh... I'm crying over 50Mhz what the hell's wrong with me??
 
Does anyone have the S754 versions of the geforce or tforce boards? Can anyone confirm its OCing options? Thx
 
Just tried with my new G.Skill 2GB PC4000 and doing nicely @ 2.6GHz 10*260 3-4-3-8 1T. Anything more even with a divider is a no no
 
Loosen your ram timings to 8-4-4-3 and see if that will warrant some extra speed for you
 
Back
Top