BenQ G2400W

just got mine delivered today, the picture looks very good to me. i'll calibrate it with i1 display later, just one question, how come my monitor shows up as Dell 2407WFP in the ATI ccc?

You may want to go into Device Manager and remove the 2407WFP under the "monitors" section, and then right click and perform a "scan for hardware changes".

If this doesn't work select "detect displays" in CCC under the Display Manager and see if that fixes it.

Regards,

10e

After an exhaustive search, I think I might have finally found the display that works for me. Now just a matter of actually getting it. It doesn't seem like best buy carries anything from benq.. at least not on their website. I have a $100 bb gift card i'd like to use but oh well.. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy this (besides newegg)?

edit* Anyone know if it would be possible to hook up a ps2 to this using a VGA adapter, and if so, would the results be satisfactory?

You may want to go into Device Manager and remove the 2407WFP under the "monitors" section, and then right click and perform a "scan for hardware changes".

If this doesn't work select "detect displays" in CCC under the Display Manager and see if that fixes it.

Regards,

10e

Thanks, I have tried that but it still recognised as 2407wfp. :confused: NVM, I'll re-install vista when I received the new 8800gtx :rolleyes:

What are some of the image settings everyone is using to get a good picture? I adjust through the Nvidia Control Panel, should I adjust with the actual display settings instead?

I have my settings on the previous page. I either use those, or I use sRGB mode, which is pretty good too.

I also play a bit with the brightness between 65 and 80 since I have a window behind me and during the day it's quite bright.

I can say that out of the box the colors are far more accurate than my FP241VW or Westinghouse L2410NM.

Regards,

10e

What are some of the image settings everyone is using to get a good picture? I adjust through the Nvidia Control Panel, should I adjust with the actual display settings instead?

I just got an account here to pitch on this thread.

I was eyeing the FP241 but after finding so many glowing reviews of the G2400W I think I'm going to go for it (and have extra money left over to upgrade my video card).

I'm in Toronto and found them at PC Village for 339, but it seems Canada Computers dropped their price just today from $405 to $325! And they have 3 of them in stock downtown near my place...sold!

They also have the Galaxy 9600gt OC for only $139 after a $50 mail-in rebate. I've never heard of Galaxy but after looking them up they seem to be decent. That card will definitely push these 24 inches better than my tired 7900GS.

Any thoughts? (Other than that I should come up with more money for an 8800 or 9800 :-P)

I had another question for you guys out there that already have wide screens. What lower resolutions can you typically choose from when playing games? It would be ideal to be able to choose from the full range of 16:10 resolutions ie. 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050. Is this the case?

Just want to make sure because obviously it would take a very high-end video card(s) to play demanding games (ie. Crysis) at the native res of 1920x1200 and I wouldn't want to be stuck with 4:3 resolutions.

Well ain't that a kick in the arse! I just paid $394.99 for it. I will see if I can get TigerD to price match on it. Probably not. At least I have a perfect panel though. Very very limited BLB and no dead'uns. I'll sleep on that while you sleep on the pillow of money you just saved :)

Generally with most games I work at full resolutions, but with Crysis, I tend to set the resolution to a widescreen res of 1440x900 or 1280x800. I then set the video card to perform its own scaling in the NVidia control panel. It does a great job upscaling and it causes no performance loss. Try farting around with that and see what you like.

You should be able to do that with decent settings on the 9600GT. The Galaxy is as good as any other brand, just cheaper and 1yr warranty only. I'm using their 8800GTS 512MB that I bought for $265.00 after rebate.

Enjoy!

10e

I just plugged it in and it looks prefect so far. Zero dead/stuck pixels.

I can't wait to jam in the 9600gt and get see what this stuff can do but I promised my sister I'd go to the gym with her today. :-/

I guess I might have some patience and do some benchmarking to see the improvement between the 7900gs and the 9600gt. I feel kinda bad because I just got the 7900 about 6 months ago, but not too bad because an MIR and selling my 7600gt I got it for about 60 bucks, and this one is only 140 after MIR. Now if only I could find a buyer for my 7900...

hi 10e, does the Spyder2 Express let you calibrate the monitor to a set brightness (100cd/m2)? after calibration does it give out a contrast reading? im using the i1 displayLT but it only let me calibrate the contrast then the RGB color..

Absolutely does,

My PS3 does not connect to non-HDCP monitors (like my Dell 2005FPW) but connects flawlessly to the G2400W at full 1080p resolution, as well as showing movies at 1080p, of which HDCP is also definitely required.

Regards,

10e

HDCP?? I couldn't find the info on the Benq site. Does this have HDCP?

The Spyder2Express is very simple, and does not necessarily do much, but I do know that the hardware is the same unit as the regular Spyder2 or Spyder2Pro. It doesn't seem to give me any reports concerning that stuff, but I'll check it again tonight and update you.

Regards,
10e

hi 10e, does the Spyder2 Express let you calibrate the monitor to a set brightness (100cd/m2)? after calibration does it give out a contrast reading? im using the i1 displayLT but it only let me calibrate the contrast then the RGB color..

PIcked this up tonight from Canada Computers thanks to the heads up from pnjunction on the price drop. Stunning monitor, very pleased, no dead pixels.

Note to those shopping in the GTA, and have checked out the unit on display at TigerDirect in Markham.....the monitor looks 10 times better than what they have hooked up. Must be an over repeated VGA source, as what I'm looking at now, is much, much better. Almost didn't buy it. Took a chance based on the rave reviews here, and glad I did.

Cheers.

I had another question for you guys out there that already have wide screens. What lower resolutions can you typically choose from when playing games? It would be ideal to be able to choose from the full range of 16:10 resolutions ie. 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050. Is this the case?

Just want to make sure because obviously it would take a very high-end video card(s) to play demanding games (ie. Crysis) at the native res of 1920x1200 and I wouldn't want to be stuck with 4:3 resolutions.

I have my laptop in sig connected to the monitor and I usually game at 1680x1050, which runs and looks great. For older games like WoW, I run it at native.

G2400W vs Samsung 245B
WOW, Samsung is put to shame:
jj4ruv.jpg

Actually these viewing angles are my main concern, it seems to have a lot more horizontal washout/gamma shift than other TN panels. I can handle vertical shift but horizontal shift drives me nuts. It's why I can't handle *VA screens. It might just be that they shot that one at a more extreme angle.

How are owners finding the horizontal viewing/gamma shift?

Actually these viewing angles are my main concern, it seems to have a lot more horizontal washout/gamma shift than other TN panels. I can handle vertical shift but horizontal shift drives me nuts. It's why I can't handle *VA screens. It might just be that they shot that one at a more extreme angle.

I notice the vertical more than I notice the horizontal, but they're both there. It's fairly bad if you're looking for it but I find it pretty easy to forget about. The only thing I really notice without specifically looking is that the light gray windows color (tough color to match) looks different at the top than at the bottom.

I don't think these pictures are totally accurate, or the viewing angle must be extreme. It's not the same as VA panels in characteristic either.

The "sweet spot" on the G is far wider than the VA panels, and is much close to the Dell 2005FPW I have. In fact, on the Lagom.nl viewing angle test, the G is basically a match for the Dell, whereas the FP241VW (A-MVA) and the Westinghouse L2410NM I have (M-VA) show shifts from the middle towards the edges...

Ie. the forums here look silvery on the VA panels (due to change in brightness of gray), but just look gray on the Dell and G2400W, showing no change in color from middle to outside.

So if it's there, I have to really look for it, and it's debatable whether it's worse on this monitor than a S-IPS display that is 4" smaller diagonally.

Hope that helps,

10e

anyone experiance flickering on the screen? it seems mine has a little flickering when brightness is below 50, i can only notice it on a white screen, not bad enough to make me uncomfortable (like the 2007wfp did) but it is noticeable, is this normal? should i contact benq for an exchange?

I don't think these pictures are totally accurate, or the viewing angle must be extreme. It's not the same as VA panels in characteristic either.

The "sweet spot" on the G is far wider than the VA panels, and is much close to the Dell 2005FPW I have. In fact, on the Lagom.nl viewing angle test, the G is basically a match for the Dell, whereas the FP241VW (A-MVA) and the Westinghouse L2410NM I have (M-VA) show shifts from the middle towards the edges...

Ie. the forums here look silvery on the VA panels (due to change in brightness of gray), but just look gray on the Dell and G2400W, showing no change in color from middle to outside.

Hope that helps,

10e

Thanks, that shiny grays are one of the things that bothered me on VA panels. I will look around for this panel. It is cheap enough to risk buying and reselling or restock fee. I also like that it has low max brightness of 250 nits, this is usually a sign that I can turn it down to a comfortable brightness in a dim room.

I was going to go whole hog an order an NEC 2490, as I really want an IPS panel, but I can't justify paying triple the cost if I can get by with this, until OLEDs hit the market...

Definitely,

The horizontal gamma shift on the G is really non-existent, and I'm pretty good at spotting these things (thanks to the users on this forum).

I also considered the 2490. I can get it for around $1000.00 through distribution, but I have an issue justifying the cost for a glossy screen when I have a window behind me.

The brightness on the G is very adjustable. I run it at around 75 on bright days and around 60 to 65 at night. I just calibrated it with the Spyder2Express, and it made almost no changes (similar to my Dell) which reinforces the fact that out-of-box calibration is good.

Regards,
e

I'll check it tonight, but I didn't notice any.

I noticed a flicker on the FP241VW when brightness is set to 50 and I go to www.acer.ca initial screen (green/teal), but at 49 and 51 it disappears. The G2400W does not do this for me at all.

I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

Update: No, doesn't do it. I went the entire gamut of brightness and noticed no flicker. I did that with a Dead pixel buddy screen of pure white and no flicker. I am using a contrast setting of 50 and sRGB color (which incidentally looks the same as standard).

10e

anyone experiance flickering on the screen? it seems mine has a little flickering when brightness is below 50, i can only notice it on a white screen, not bad enough to make me uncomfortable (like the 2007wfp did) but it is noticeable, is this normal? should i contact benq for an exchange?

I'm considering th G2400W but I've also been looking at the HP2408h which uses a samsung panel.

They both seem like good monitors quality wise and both support hdcp and 1:1 pixel mapping (many other monitors don't have these, or the 1:1 doesn't work properly).

The important differences to me so far are:

---- The Benq is matte while the hp is glossy. Glossy screens appear to make colors more rich looking (on my glossy hp laptop screen, and the HP2408 in the store), at least to me. I don't have a benq g2400w to compare it to but I tend to like glossy in 24" and smaller monitors I think. Also some monitors I've seen in the past have a weird matte that can looks 'sparkley' or grainy , especially if there isn't enough light hitting them from the room.
----- The Benq g400w is not available locally. So I can't check it out in person, and I can't return it locally if I need to. I'd also have to pay shipping and wait for it to arrive of course :b The hp2408h is available locally.
----- The hp has a really nice stand. Not a deal breaker but worthy of notice.

----- The hp2408h is $100 more than the benq G2400W ( ~ $500 vs ~$400 average), and if I bought it locally I'd have to pay almost 9% sales tax on top of that. :( This may be the deciding factor.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2008/03/11/BenQ-G2400W-24in-LCD-Monitor/p4

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2008/01/24/HP-w2408h-Vivid-Color-24in-Monitor/p1

Yeah, it's a tough comparison,

But here's how I feel about it because I considered the HP before I re-acquired the G2400W:

- HP is a $500.00 monitor based on a TN panel with 1 year warranty. WTF?
- HP has a nice glossy, wide gamut panel with worse viewing angles (so it needs that stand even more)
- Only one analog and one digital connector

The HP has niceties like a great stand, wide-gamut panel and a great OSD, and I'm sure it can be calibrated quite easily too, but for me a TN monitor with a one year warranty on that price is a bit too "premium" for my tastes.

On the other hand, it is more readily available by retail (Best Buy CC etc..) which is good, but I'd get the warranty extended to two years. I always wonder about monitors with 1 year.

The BenQ doesn't have much grain (if any at all) on the matte screen. It's pretty clean with minimum sparkles.

I looked at those Trusted Reviews too, and I wasn't too impressed with their "monitor reviews"

Regards,

10e

I'm considering th G2400W but I've also been looking at the HP2408h which uses a samsung panel.

They both seem like good monitors quality wise and both support hdcp and 1:1 pixel mapping (many other monitors don't have these, or the 1:1 doesn't work properly).

---- The Benq is matte while the hp is glossy. Glossy screens appear to make colors more rich looking (on my glossy hp laptop screen, and the HP2408 in the store), at least to me. I don't have a benq g2400w to compare it to but I tend to like glossy in 24" and smaller monitors I think. Also some monitors I've seen in the past have a weird matte that can looks 'sparkley' or grainy , especially if there isn't enough light hitting them from the room.
----- The Benq g400w is not available locally. So I can't check it out in person, and I can't return it locally if I need to. I'd also have to pay shipping and wait for it to arrive of course :b The hp2408h is available locally.

----- The hp2408h is $100 more than the benq G2400W ( ~ $500 vs ~$400 average), and if I bought it locally I'd have to pay almost 9% sales tax on top of that. :( This may be the deciding factor.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2008/03/11/BenQ-G2400W-24in-LCD-Monitor/p4

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2008/01/24/HP-w2408h-Vivid-Color-24in-Monitor/p1

I also considered the 2490. I can get it for around $1000.00 through distribution, but I have an issue justifying the cost for a glossy screen when I have a window behind me.

Thanks again.

BTW the NEC 2490 is not glossy. It has a less aggressive AG coating, but it is not a glossy panel.

Thanks for the info Snowdog,

I guess I mistook the A-TW polarizer to mean glossy.

Though as I go along, I'm wondering if it's just better to pay the amount for a truly great monitor than go through the whole upgrade cycle on a regular basis.

I do agree, that OLED is definitely a great burgeoning technology.

On a side note: I calibrated the G2400W on Monday, and it didn't seem to change much, reinforcing the pretty good out-of-box calibration.

Regards,

10e

Thanks for the reply about the comparison. The extra $100+ does seem excessive, especially if I opted for a svc extension on top of that. Another factor is that I'm considering making a briefcase/guncase mod for the monitor, so the hp stand would be wasted.

Looking at my fw900 crt as a width/height comparison (not depth lol), even with the oversize crt bezel, I think I could make a flip-up 'briefcase' for the 24" lcd monitor that would be pretty easy to carry. I just need a good dremel and perhaps a monitor bracket, and some sort of anti-tip leverage or slideout on the bottom of the case so it won't fall backward accidentally.

It might be hard to find a case that is just over the size of the monitor though.

Well, If I were you I would quickly go to Dell Outlet (http://www.dell.com/outlet) and go to monitors. Currently, they have about 30 refurbished 2407-WFP HC for $500. Its a $600 screen. It has a great stand and a non-tn panel. Just my .02.

Just got my monitor today. Had to pick it up because purolator couldn't press my doorbell hard enough to make it ring.
Anyways, I love this monitor. It's big. Luckily, no dead/stuck pixel.
That's all I can say for now. Sorry, I am not much of a monitor screen techie.

Just got my monitor today. Had to pick it up because purolator couldn't press my doorbell hard enough to make it ring.
Anyways, I love this monitor. It's big. Luckily, no dead/stuck pixel.
That's all I can say for now. Sorry, I am not much of a monitor screen techie.

Glad to hear yours arrived without dead pixels, mine finally shipped Tuesday, some 10 days after I placed my order. NCIX phone support appeared unable or unwilling to do anything for me which is no big surprise. Must be a frustrating job to have just to be able to answer the phone so the customer can complain at you.

Now I am just looking forward to getting the thing delivered, installed and "calibrated."

Could someone post pics of the screen, please?

http://ordorica.org/misc/samsung_710t_vs_benq_g2400w.jpg

Please ignore the grainy picture, thats just my 4mp camera trying to deal with low light.

On the left is my old 17" Samsung 710t (DVI) and to the right is the benq g2400w (DVI).

Both are connected to a HD3850, and surprisingly I can do 1920x1200 @ 60+fps while playing TF2 with everything high, AA 2x and AF 2x. I think because the Source engine is CPU limited more than anything else (and I have a quad core).

Observations:
Absolutely no input lag. My old 710t didn't have any fancy postprocessing and also had no-input lag. Both monitors are lag free and update at the same time using a timer to count lag. Basically its around 1ms of lag.

Gradient test has one slight band towards the black spectrum, but its hard to see. Overall I wouldn't believe this is a 6-bit panel because it looks equal to my 710t which is a true 8bit panel.

Out of box calibration is near perfect, I lowered its brightness and contrast so it could match my 710t.

The display doesn't wake from Sleep unless I turn it off and back on. I think this might be due to ATI drivers however (I have the lastest 8.3).

No dead pixels, bought it from Amazon.

I am glad i bought this over a much more expensive S-IPS panel since it is basically perfect for gaming.

You may want to try and move the BenQ to port 1 which is the port closest to the backplane screw, furthest from the motherboard.

I have found port 2 (closest to the motherboard) to be very finicky on all my ATI HD 38x0 cards with other monitors too.

If it's already there, then disregard my advice :)

Thanks for the photo. Glad you are happy with it.

10e

http://ordorica.org/misc/samsung_710t_vs_benq_g2400w.jpg

Please ignore the grainy picture, thats just my 4mp camera trying to deal with low light.

On the left is my old 17" Samsung 710t (DVI) and to the right is the benq g2400w (DVI).

Both are connected to a HD3850, and surprisingly I can do 1920x1200 @ 60+fps while playing TF2 with everything high, AA 2x and AF 2x. I think because the Source engine is CPU limited more than anything else (and I have a quad core).

Observations:
Absolutely no input lag. My old 710t didn't have any fancy postprocessing and also had no-input lag. Both monitors are lag free and update at the same time using a timer to count lag. Basically its around 1ms of lag.

Gradient test has one slight band towards the black spectrum, but its hard to see. Overall I wouldn't believe this is a 6-bit panel because it looks equal to my 710t which is a true 8bit panel.

Out of box calibration is near perfect, I lowered its brightness and contrast so it could match my 710t.

The display doesn't wake from Sleep unless I turn it off and back on. I think this might be due to ATI drivers however (I have the lastest 8.3).

No dead pixels, bought it from Amazon.

I am glad i bought this over a much more expensive S-IPS panel since it is basically perfect for gaming.

Mine finally arrived Monday, shipped in the BenQ box but unscathed. So far so good, no dead pixels and I have set it up without changing the default settings too much. Have used the colour profile from DigitalVersus which seems to work OK.

How are the viewing angels on this lcd? I just recently picked up an LG L227WTG and the viewing angels are not that good and has quite a bit of backlight bleeding. Also I noticed on all white pages that part of it is "blueish" twards the right upper and lower sides.

How does this monitor compare to an lg? Really close to pulling the trigger and buying one and taking this one back.

I have this monitor. It is a decent monitor, but everything needs to be at the optimum resolution or it doesn't look that good....

I can't subjectively say whether the LG or this monitor have better or worse vertical viewing angles, because I haven't seen the LG.

It's also tough to compare a 22" and 24" TN Panel due to the slight height difference on the panel, but I can say that the G2400W does not have any backlight issues that I can find, including backlight bleed, or generally noticeable homogeneity issues.

Regards,

10e

How are the viewing angels on this lcd? I just recently picked up an LG L227WTG and the viewing angels are not that good and has quite a bit of backlight bleeding. Also I noticed on all white pages that part of it is "blueish" twards the right upper and lower sides.

How does this monitor compare to an lg? Really close to pulling the trigger and buying one and taking this one back.

Back