BenQ G2400W

I am using the "User colour mode" with R: 98, G: 96, B: 84

Brightness at 90, Contrast at 50.

I have played around and gone between this and sRGB mode. I never use the bluish, reddish, dynamic or movie mode because they pump up the sharpness and it looks like @$$ or the screen is off.

Apparently this monitor is really well calibrated out of the factory according to www.digitalversus.com (which lists another review I think).

Regards,

10e

I just got a G2400W today. Can I ask you guys what settings you're using? I love the monitor, btw.

Thanks man. I copied your settings and they are good!

I agree -- it's well calibrated right out the box. I was surprised how good it looked at default settings, but it looks a little better now. Only thing that differs from your settings is the brightness which I lowered to 65. I watched Ghost In The Shell 2 last night. It looked great but the blacks were slightly too gray with the default settings. Lowering the brightness helped. Maybe I have a slightly brighter one than you?

I love this monitor. I can't recommend it enough for those on a budget. I think it looks better in person, too. Pics on the net make it look a little cheap, but actually it's pretty classy. Nice and simple looking, which is exactly what I wanted. Awesome monitor for such a small amount of cash. It's funny too -- a few months ago my Mitsubishi 19" CRT died. I had to borrow an ultra cheap 15" LCD, so coming from that little thing to a 24" widescreen is just laughably nice!

Hello,

I need to buy a 24" panel in next day or so. I will primarily be used for the PS3 gaming, and text. So it can't have input lag issues, and must be HDCP.

It really looks like this is the best model out there in that price range. The problem is that I am having a tough time finding one locally. And so I am wondering what is the second and 3rd place monitor to this?

I can get a samsung 245bw for $50 cheaper than the g2400w, but it doesn't have 1:1, which is a bummer for the ps3 in 1080p mode. There is a Optiquest q241wb (tn version) for $70 less, though I can't find out much about this one,other than it used to be an S panel (and _was_ good). There are a couple acer models (X243WBD, P243WBD) which are same price as the g2400w, but I don't know if they to 1:1 either.

Thoughts?

~S

I would look at the HP W2408H. It's pricey but supposed to be good and fairly fast. It does aspect and 1:1 scaling..

The Acers do not do any type of 1:1 or aspect scaling that I know of. In fact, having gone through the manual they didn't seem to have any type of ratio control whatsoever.

The most important thing for the PS3 is that the monitor does "aspect" scaling.

Doing 1:1 will give you a tiny screen with any game except GT prologue, as they are all 720p, so you would get 1280x720 pixels mapped in the middle, with huge black bars on a 1920x1080 screen if you use 1:1. Only the XMB and BluRay movies are in 1080 guaranteed.

Most games are 720P. With aspect scaling you will get 1:1 at 1080p with black bars top and bottom, as well as stretch to fill for 720p with black bars top and bottom, where 720p is auto-stretched to 1080p by the monitor's internal scaling. I don't understand why Sony couldn't just include a real scaler in there like Microsoft did on the 360.

Regards,

10e

Good point on the 1:1. I know there will only be a handful of 1080p games int the lifetime of the ps3, but BD movies are 1080p. I have been narrowing my search buy culling non-1:1 monitors. I wonder if I accidently culled a couple that advertise aspect scaling instead of 1:1.

I don't suppose you know if samsungs do aspect scaling? I am trying to stay under $400, and that HP is $540 here. I understand that that $130 may be worth it, but my wife won't. :mad: If anyone knows of any others with aspect scaling, let me know.

I thought the lack of a scaler was a huge bonehead move when the ps3 launched. But don't real HDTV's (i.e., not 24" monitors), get better scalers all the time? Though I guess that doesn't help help people who already have a tv with a poor scaler.

Thanks,
~S

I don't understand why Sony couldn't just include a real scaler in there like Microsoft did on the 360.

ya i wish sony did that so i could use the 245bw i purchase its on sale this week from futureshop for only like 350 + tax i think thats a great price, but i guess its g2400 for my ps3

did anyone check out the new benq monitor?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/17/benqs-v2400w-claims-to-be-worlds-thinnest-stealthiest-24-inch/

BENQ website http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=1313&page=specifications

acer building a monitor for console?
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/17/acer-prepping-a-console-style-gaming-pc-based-on-open-standards/

Sheamus,

The issue with 1080p is that the PS3 can only do it at 30fps. This is a hardware limitation, because, again they don't have a hardware scaler in the PS3. The 360 has lesser video hardware than the PS3, and only renders at something like 960x540 but scales up using a scaler chip similar to a video card which does not reduce performance.

Where are you located? I'm in Toronto and I can generally find the G2400W at Tiger Direct and some retailers here. The TD near my house sold out in a week on the G2400Ws, and when I went to return mine for exchange (due to one bad subpixel and DVI wake up issue), they had none :(.

Balance, all I can say is that the 245BW, while $50.00 cheaper than the BenQ, is a far cry from it. I know the 245BW may be a tiny bit brighter than the "G", but for HDMI and PS3 use the G2400W is the best monitor I've seen except maybe for the Westinghouse L2410NM, which only has one HDMI port and a boatload more input lag (40ms more).

In fact, the FP241VW that I paid $130.00 more than the G2400W cannot handle a PS3 as well as the G2400W, even though the FP241VW is a NEWER build date, as well as the fact that the G2400W has much better color calibration from the factory. Ok the panel in the FP241VW is very nice (A-MVA) but apparently they forgot how to calibrate on that particular production line.

Regards,

10e

10e,

I actually started another thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1286308.

My nearest centre is HFX. So my only options are BB, and FS. I even phoned a benq distributor to get the names of shops that carry benq lcd's. I phoned the shops they gave me, and their cost on the g2400w was more than most places I could order online. I think $435 was cheapest, while places like memoryexpress, and anitec have it for $370 + $50~$80 for shipping, which would basically make it around $435. So $85 more. $300 was my limit, and I went $50 to go from 22 -> 24. It was really a case of drawing the line. You have no idea what I had to go through with my wife to get that extra $50.

Having said all that, I am really happy with the 245. I am happy with how it displays the ps3 image. It might take me a while to notice that it is stretched to 16:10, if I didn't know it and look for it. So the stretching is much better than I had hoped.

I have 2 weeks to take this monitor back. If I see a g2400w come available locally for close to this price, I'll likely take the 245 back. As for now I am happy.

As an aside, there is no hard limit on 1080p@60fps, just that it is asking a little much from the RSX, especially with out a sexy cousin ANA like the 360 has. I believe the upcoming wipeout HD is 1080p @ 60fps.

Thanks for the help,
~S

Nothing wrong with the 245BW. Maybe it stretches to 16:10 but there are worse things.

I have had issues far worse with my BenQ FP241VW with my PS3, whereas the G2400W was mostly perfect.

It's tough to get computer components out east. I have a friend in a similar area (near Antigonish) who has the same issues getting stuff.

Best o' luck,

10e

Sheamus,

The issue with 1080p is that the PS3 can only do it at 30fps. This is a hardware limitation, because, again they don't have a hardware scaler in the PS3. The 360 has lesser video hardware than the PS3, and only renders at something like 960x540 but scales up using a scaler chip similar to a video card which does not reduce performance.

Where are you located? I'm in Toronto and I can generally find the G2400W at Tiger Direct and some retailers here. The TD near my house sold out in a week on the G2400Ws, and when I went to return mine for exchange (due to one bad subpixel and DVI wake up issue), they had none :(.

Balance, all I can say is that the 245BW, while $50.00 cheaper than the BenQ, is a far cry from it. I know the 245BW may be a tiny bit brighter than the "G", but for HDMI and PS3 use the G2400W is the best monitor I've seen except maybe for the Westinghouse L2410NM, which only has one HDMI port and a boatload more input lag (40ms more).

In fact, the FP241VW that I paid $130.00 more than the G2400W cannot handle a PS3 as well as the G2400W, even though the FP241VW is a NEWER build date, as well as the fact that the G2400W has much better color calibration from the factory. Ok the panel in the FP241VW is very nice (A-MVA) but apparently they forgot how to calibrate on that particular production line.

Regards,

10e

well i could get it locally from infonec in toronto

http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350897 for 365 usual price

lowest atm is http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDe...escreen LCD Monitor&mfrpartno=G2400W&version= 335

but is at BC i dont want to get it from there as it may increase dead pixel -_- and UPS ship it for 15 or canada post for 18

thanks for your help 10e appreciate it

well im going to go to my local FS and get a hdmi>dvi adapter and try it out
and 10e I'm at RFD as well ;)

i just got back from FS and got myself a hdmi>dvi

everything works fine but yes image stretch

I'm not having the problem sheamus is having and both my monitor is manufacture in january 2008 in china. only difference i notice of my two monitor is one has more sticker than the other one just has vista certified and other has like energy star, vista, tco03 display

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6568865&postcount=45

Im seriously considering this monitor. I only wish it was a gloss screen (clearer and better colors IMO) i was looking into the Gateway FHD2400 but its backlight bleed issues put me off of it. $416 shipped from newegg isnt half bad as well. Whats neweggs return policy on monitors? Also whats BenQ's dead pixel policy?

Im seriously considering this monitor. I only wish it was a gloss screen (clearer and better colors IMO) i was looking into the Gateway FHD2400 but its backlight bleed issues put me off of it. $416 shipped from newegg isnt half bad as well. Whats neweggs return policy on monitors? Also whats BenQ's dead pixel policy?

Newegg has a fairly atrocious monitor return policy, actually. Avoid if possible.

Who would you recommend then? Also am i going to be disappointed in this monitors quality coming from a 20" S-IPS panel? (In sig basically a Acer Ferrari F-20 non Ferrari branded)

It's hard to say if the G2400W will meet your requirements Thanatos.

I sat it next to my Dell 2005FPW (S-IPS) and I wasn't disappointed in the least by the display quality, but the vertical viewing angles are nowhere near as good. Horizontally I find it to be fairly good. Color is accurate and the display is not overly bright.

It's a newer AUO TN panel so the gamma shift vertically is not too bad.

As always, it depends on your desires. I don't consider it a good display for heavy duty Photoshop stuff, but for almost all other purposes it's a pretty good monitor. I found it good as well for PS3 movie watching, especially because I sit back a bit which helps improve viewing angles (cause I'm further away).

Regards,

10e

Viewing angle shouldn't matter too much i sit directly in front of the monitor. Ive got my 40" Westy TV for movies so it will be for gaming mainly and a little graphic design here and there nothing heavy duty or professional. Also according to the IRS ive got a check for $600 coming May 9th WOOT!

Due to the great results of input lag tests everyone has made, I bought this to replace my XHD3000. Can't wait to get it and test it out myself. Thanks for the great reviews everyone!

Glad to hear it Gooch,

I hope you enjoy the monitor. It's a great buy for the reasonable price they sell it at, and very fast with input lag.

I was in the same boat with my LG 37LB5D TV. Great screen but the input lag was around 80ms, so I think you will enjoy the G2400W. I know I did.

Regards,

10e

Can anyone comment on how the picture quality and input lag is at any lower resolution other than the native?

Mine came two days ago. Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I game competitively, and am a hardware enthusiast, so having the best of both worlds is difficult.

This monitor meets both sides of the equation. Big step up from my Sammy 204B. Input lag , response time, ghosting are all non issues. Thumbs up here.

There didn't seem to be much, if any difference.

I set it to 1680x1050 and vs. the TV the delay didn't change.

I also tried 1280x720 and it seemed only to add a few milliseconds input lag, but it was pretty small, if any. Something like 5 ms difference, which was tiny.

It's pretty much inconsequential unless you are scaling 720x480 up to full res I think.

I'm pretty sure they upgraded the electronics on these vs. the FP241 series, because even the OSD is much faster on the G2400W. The monitor is just generally fast.

10e

Can anyone comment on how the picture quality and input lag is at any lower resolution other than the native?

Great to hear. One of the reasons I have to get rid of my XHD3000 is because the input lag is just horrendous and is unplayable at non native resolutions. You don't get smooth FPS rates in CoD4 at 2560x1600 ;)

Well I will never order from TigerDirect.com again or use UPS to ship.

I received my new display with a nice little surprise. I huge hole in the box along with a nice big chunk missing from the center of the screen. I'm sticking with NewEgg from now on.

You should be covered for any damage in shipping. I'd much rather wait another week for a replacement monitor from tigerdirect+ups than be stuck with dead pixels from newegg.

You should be covered for any damage in shipping. I'd much rather wait another week for a replacement monitor from tigerdirect+ups than be stuck with dead pixels from newegg.

Oh I am getting a full refund, but TD and UPS are extremely poor with their shipping.

Newegg may say on their website that they don't offer refunds, but I have finessed their customer support to do otherwise almost any time I needed one. And they are pretty good about replacements, especially if it is damaged.

I also added a 1 year warranty that covers everything. I have faith :)

Sucks to hear that,

You'd think the doorknobs would have packed it in an extra box. If there's one thing the G2400W doesn't have a lot of, it's packaging.

I thought the FP241VW was bad in that regard, the G2400W is horrid. There is just enough packaging to shield it from a light bump.

Brown is not "the shit"

Good luck with the Newegg version. I'm sure you will get a perfect panel.

10e

Sucks to hear that,

You'd think the doorknobs would have packed it in an extra box. If there's one thing the G2400W doesn't have a lot of, it's packaging.

I thought the FP241VW was bad in that regard, the G2400W is horrid. There is just enough packaging to shield it from a light bump.

Brown is not "the shit"

Good luck with the Newegg version. I'm sure you will get a perfect panel.

10e

QFT. I just don't understand how these manufacturers and retailers can ship these delicate fragile LCDs with such little protection. It makes no sense other than it's cheaper than to box them up twice. Aren't they losing money though with each LCD that gets damaged during shipping?

Anyone know if TD store on Woodbine (in Markham ON, Canada) has this BenQ in stock?
It's a little bit pricey for $395. Maybe Costco sells them cheaper...

At anitec.ca, they are selling these for $310 + s/h ~= $34X (with cheapest shipping).
http://www.anitec.ca/sale/h321zy8hol/
Just not sure about their return policy on dead/stuck pixel. Going to be a pain if I need to ship it back and ask for exchange or refund. Anyone has any experience with anitec before?

I am also considering getting the Samsung 245BW since they were $350. I am not going to use this the monitor for ps3/xbox360. But I am worry about the input lag on this Samsung but not able to find any input lag stats for it.

And thanks for reading my first post :)

The Samsung has less than 10ms input lag.

It is a brighter panel, but not as nice. I work 5 minutes away from there. I'll check for you, but I know that last week they were out of stock.

Infonec has the monitor for $365.00 but they have to order it for you first.

Update: Tiger Direct on Woodbine has them. They had four in stock, November 2007 build date. The web site has it at $394.99, and the store has it at $419.99. Just tell them about the web price and they will lower accordingly.

Regards,

10e

Anyone know if TD store on Woodbine (in Markham ON, Canada) has this BenQ in stock?

At anitec.ca, they are selling these for $310 + s/h ~= $34X (with cheapest shipping).
Just not sure about their return policy on dead/stuck pixel. Going to be a pain if I need to ship it back and ask for exchange or refund. Anyone has any experience with anitec before?

I am also considering getting the Samsung 245BW since they were $350. I am not going to use this the monitor for ps3/xbox360. But I am worry about the input lag on this Samsung but not able to find any input lag stats for it.

Was hopping from site to site looking for one of these before the easter weekend. Infonec in Markham has them for $365 but I bought mine over the web from NCIX ($325) but price matched with Anitec for $309.

Anitec has a mixed reputation for customer service. I am no fan of NCIX as I think they gouge a bit on shipping, but they did a "no dead pixel guarantee" for $18 and full insurance with express RMA for a further $10. My order has yet to ship I and after reading some of the earlier comments about the packaging I am sorry I didn' t take their offer of an extra strong shipping box!

If you want to check my comments about shipping costs try comparing the shipping costs for the G2400W at FrontierPC ($335) and DirectCanada.

Try prad.de or digitalversus.com to research the lag on the 245BW. Try checking several price search engines before making a major technology buy usually you can read user feedback on any store before pulling the trigger on those sites.

Fat Bunny (No relation to the Easter Bunny)

Hopefully NCIX will package it at least in an outer box.

They are pretty smart with that stuff so I think you'll be fine.

I just "repurchased" it from Tiger because they didn't have any last time when I returned the first (that had a dead green pixel). I could have bought from Infonec or someone else, but TD was really cool about me returning it on day 30 of their 30 day return policy so I decided good service should be rewarded, and it makes me comfy that a "dead pixel" was enough to take it back.

And anyway, I purchased the FP241VW based on reports of it being Dec.07 build date from Ncix and was burned by the fact that it was a March 2007 build date. It cost me $65.00 to ship it back via ground from Toronto with PuroBater

Enjoy!

10e

Well I will never order from TigerDirect.com again or use UPS to ship.

I received my new display with a nice little surprise. I huge hole in the box along with a nice big chunk missing from the center of the screen. I'm sticking with NewEgg from now on.

You cannot blame TigerDirect for the shipping problem. That lies with UPS. TigerDirect shipped my G2400 all the way to Iraq, and I didn't have a single blemish on the box. Although, I was really surprised to see how small the box was!

True,

Inherent in shipping is the potential of damage. Unfortunately with vendors/manufacturers trying to cut costs out of EVERYTHING, smaller boxes are more prone to damaged contents.

For example the LG L246WP and BenQ FP241W arrived in monster cartons. The FP241VW, a smaller carton with adequate protection. The G2400W? Even smaller and less adequate.

I set up my new G2400W and remembered why I liked it: Not-too-bright panel, looks great with PS3, and fast fast fast. It looks like (after an hour of testing) I have no panel issues (dead, stuck pixels) etc... so I'm gonna keep it. It still has 1920x1080 issues over VGA with Xbox, but the FP241VW will suffice for 360 duties.

Tonight I will calibrate it with Spyder 2 Express/cheapo calibration package and see how it goes. And yes, the viewing angles are better than the Samsung or other competitors, that's for sure.

Regards,

10e

So, I took fat.bunny's advice. I ordered from NCIX with the dead pixel protection policy and extra protect box for the monitor. The price came out to about $383 which is better than going to buy it from the stores and I get some dead pixel out of this. Now, it's just the wait.

Thanks 10e for checking the stocks for me!
And Thanks fat.bunny!

Hey MaelstronXC,

I hope you enjoy it. It is definitely a good monitor for the size and price, and now that I've re-acquired it, I'm remembering why I liked it so much. Seems like my panel is perfect in the brief time I checked. The viewing angles definitely seem better than other TNs I've seen, so I'm duly impressed. I also like the fact that it shows less banding on PS3 at 1080P than my FP241VW, which is a nice plus.

I was glad to go for you, as I ended up getting it while I was there (again). I'll post some photos and some more opinions once I finish my tests. I'll also create a calibration profile for specific settings using my cheapo Spyder2Express, so if anyone wants it, you can just PM me.

I hope you end up getting a perfect one too, which is quite likely.

Regards,

10e

Finally got mine up and running. Seems extremely fast and has good native picture quality through the HDMI. Lower resolutions aren't as clear, but still very nice.

The only thing is the viewing angle, which I need to get use to. Overall very happy.

MaelstromXC,

It may be a considerable wait, I ordered on Saturday, was told payment processed on Monday and as of Thursday evening the order has not shipped. "Normally ships within 1-2 days" has a fairly elastic definition. If my experience holds true I will get the shipping notice the day the monitor arrives, this is the NCIX I know and love. Then maybe again time moves differently in Richmond?

fat.bunny

You can try this site here too: http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350897

Infonec's HO is in Markham, on Ferrier St. just off of Steeles Ave.,
http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=page&name=CONTACT_US

I personally go here often.

fat.bunny,
I guess I am pretty lucky. I ordered the monitor on Tuesday night and it shipped on last night. So, just 2 business days. I guess I'll have to see how long it takes Purolator. I am guessing I will be getting it on April 4th.

10e,
Can you post your colour settings? Would be nice to copy it and see how it looks after I get mine:D

jedicri,
I check Infonec, they had to order the monitor and the price is high compare to what I can get from NCIX (with price match and zero dead pixel protection). The main thing is that if I get a monitor that has a dead pixel from Infonec, I would have to deal with BenQ personally.

Cheers,
MaelstromXC

I find the best viewing angle for me is to have the monitor tilted a bit up and my eyes just above centre.

I generally tested it by putting a grey screen up (with dead pixel buddy) and moving my head up and down until I found the top wasn't darker than the bottom. This allows me to slouch in my chair without seeing colors shift up or down.

Right now I'm using these settings FYI:

I am using the "User colour mode" with R: 98, G: 96, B: 84

Brightness at 77, Contrast at 50.

I will do a double calibration this weekend, so these settings may change. I calibrate like this:

1) Use DVE essentials to calibrate the monitor color with the user color controls
2) Use the Spyder2 Express to calibrate and create a profile that I load into Windows control panel under Display > Advanced > Color management

The nice thing with this monitor is it doesn't just show up as a "Plug and Play Monitor". It actually shows up as "BenQ G2400W DVI" in control panel/device manager.

Regards,

10e

Finally got mine up and running. Seems extremely fast and has good native picture quality through the HDMI. Lower resolutions aren't as clear, but still very nice.

The only thing is the viewing angle, which I need to get use to. Overall very happy.

Back