Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

47-3 is enough to be considered cheating? With people like you no wonder I get called a hacker daily. If the player gets 47 kills of course there will be a decent amount of headshots. This game is so easy to score headshots on it isn't even funny. Oh, and you were probably exposed by the IRNV scope.

That's why they need someone mining the players stats. 1 game of 47-3 doesn't scream out cheating. But 10+ games of similar scores does sounds a bit fishy. Even if he isn't cheating he is likely over utilizing something in the game that the developers should look at either fixing or making less powerful.
Ran into this "interspire" guy on a server:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/5451461/1/
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/5448764/1/

109 to 3 and 64 to 4. Kinda screaming hacking or cheating to me.
Has anyone tried the anti-flak perk to see if it helps?
It does ever so slightly. Rather than get killed directly from a grenade or RPG hit, you usually survive with about 10% health left.

yeah i wish they'd let you choose which player is the pilot. i like playing a little of both but i just about always get stuck as gunner.

For the heli co-op mission, I believe the pilot is always the client, and the host is always gunner. If you're doing random matchmaking you can't choose, but with a friend you can pick who hosts.

Except in reality it doesn't. It's a shaped charge which projects a molten copper jet directly into armor. There really is no "splash damage". Maybe if it hit you or hit like a foot away from you, but otherwise there's not going to be any real explosive damage.

The problem currently is that someone can shoot a rocket at the corner of something you are using for cover (as in, not directly hit you) and still kill you. That should not happen.

I can't remember what BF2 was like, but in BF1942 you couldn't get killed by an AT rocket unless it hit you directly. That's a lot closer to reality than what is in BF3.

If they remove the splash damage and put in the penetration ability, i'll be totally fine with that.

Except in reality it doesn't. It's a shaped charge which projects a molten copper jet directly into armor. There really is no "splash damage". Maybe if it hit you or hit like a foot away from you, but otherwise there's not going to be any real explosive damage.

The problem currently is that someone can shoot a rocket at the corner of something you are using for cover (as in, not directly hit you) and still kill you. That should not happen.

I can't remember what BF2 was like, but in BF1942 you couldn't get killed by an AT rocket unless it hit you directly. That's a lot closer to reality than what is in BF3.

Even though it is a shaped charge, it is still 2 pounds of high explosive going off in an enclosed area - which is going to cause blast effects. For example:

The Mujahideen used the RPG antitank grenades against both vehicles and personnel. The antitank round has a lethal bursting radius of some four meters and can kill with blast and shrapnel

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1998/infantry-rpg.htm

and:

The bursting radius of the antitank round is about 4 meters or 13 feet. Although it has a specifically shaped charge warhead, the concussion, blast effect, and shrapnel are very effective against infantry.

http://www.dnipogo.org/fcs/iraq_and_the_RPG-7.htm

Similarly, for the M72 LAW (similar to the SMAW):

The M72A6 has an effective range, based on dispersion of 1.5mils at 250m and the A6 warhead will defeat 150mm of armour. On detonation the M72A6 warhead produces a lethal radius of approximately 9m to each side of its direction of travel, and external to the point of impact.

http://www.asianmilitaryreview.com/upload/200712031855161.pdf

Last edited:
Metro is where I was able to unlock smoke on the 320 quick...I find that map hilarious with all the rockets and 'splosions flying everywhere!
64-player Metro is the place to be if you want quick and easy points. Roll as assault and just drop a medkit at the corner and run around reviving people, you'll rank up in no time.

Of course after about 5 minutes you'll probably be frustrated at what a spamfest it is and just leave :p

I am getting so sick and tired of newbs taking key pieces of equipment, camping with them the whole game and wasting their assets.

Like those **** that take the mobile AA in firestorm, go to the top of a hill and get like 5 kills the whole game and the other team runs rampant with air vehicles. I have started team killing these morons. God it infuriates me when horrible players monopolize stuff like that. My server list is getting smaller as I am getting banned by newb admins that allow this crap.

I have started team killing these morons. .

Not pointing at you but you remind me; I really have a problem with the admin who let morons team kill way to much ; today I was snipping at the back of our front line, an a noobs who spam at my back kill me 3 times in row, How can you be so much moron to kill someone who shoot at direction of the enemies. This F**** don’t even say sorry. We was losing like H and I was the only one producing point for our team, and this moron help the other team…

Still can't get a decent kill with mortars, but it's very helpful when your squad is pinned down.

"Too much fire, we need mortars"

"Copy. Relocating... deploying... mortars away"

(No kills but it got them out of the alley)

"We're out, plazas too open. Drop some smokes all the way to the site."

"Copy. Smokes away"

Wish i've recorded that game and teamspeak, it should be a good example of a squad mortar in action. The mortar's just for stirring the pot, it keeps the game from turning into a camping fest. Smoke lasts a few seconds short tho.

Last edited:
For the heli co-op mission, I believe the pilot is always the client, and the host is always gunner. If you're doing random matchmaking you can't choose, but with a friend you can pick who hosts.

I don't think so since a friend and I did that mission a couple of times with me hosting and the pilot was random.

Even though it is a shaped charge, it is still 2 pounds of high explosive going off in an enclosed area - which is going to cause blast effects. For example:

Interesting facts, but what "enclosed area"? Much of the time you're not fighting in an enclosed area.

Interesting facts, but what "enclosed area"? Much of the time you're not fighting in an enclosed area.

I would think standing next to a wall that the RPG hit would suffice (those blast radii mentioned in the quotes were not limited to enclosed areas). Likewise when someone fires one into the room on Grand Bazaar (for instance). Obviously the RPG is hitting something, or it wouldn't explode. Not to mention the fact that, if you are hiding behind a wall, a RPG hitting on the other side of the wall would come right through the wall and obliterate you as well - since they can punch through several feet of concrete.

It doesnt neccesarily have to be an enclosed area, being within that range is most likely still going to be considered a killzone regardless of your surroundings due to the nasty ass shockwave. Read up on TBI (traumatic brain injury)...while a properly armored humvee can withstand a 120mm mortar expoding next to it, it doesnt feel good in the least bit.

If they modeled RPGs and SMAWs properly, people would hardly use them I think, the backblast of firing one would kill you/the team around you most often with the way they're used in game. I know the AT-4 (similar to SMAW) has a backblast that extends out to 60m (roughly 180ft) in a 90 degree fan behind the shooter. What that would mean is, firing it inside a building would kill everyone in the room or firing it with the backblast perpendicular to a close range would fuck the shooter up pretty good too.

Media has greatly skewed the reality of explosives and it can be difficult to really understand their power, even I am amazed at how destructive explosives can be, and ive had first hand experiance lol.

Reminds me of the launch trailer where that grenade exploded inside a small building and a there was a great effect with all the particles and smoke flying out of the windows. Too bad that didn't translate into the multiplayer environment.

So I ask again... What is the best support weapon for medium to long range (since I only play Conquest).

I have the M249 fully unlocked and the PKP Pecheneg at stock.

I use m249+biopod+ACOG for long range, but the vertical drift is ridiculously bad and hard to hit anything. For long range, is the best the M27? Or do any of the support unlock weapons do better at long range?

....... I use m249+biopod+ACOG for long range, but the vertical drift is ridiculously bad and hard to hit anything.

I hope you understand that SMG are for supressing it's not a sniper riffle, and yes SMG have a lot of recoil. If it'S like BFBC2 , the MG36 that will come with Karkand will be better for medium range, but that'S a big IF

Aside from the recon class. Is there a reason why the other classes would pick any of the general full auto guns over their own rifles? Do they make you run significantly faster or something?

Man, I so wish weapon unlocks were based on points and not straight up kills. I'd get my scopes so much faster if kill assists did more than jack shit for me.

Hmm...people here not on [H|G] platoon :( I need to finish off my co-op. Matchmaking seems to give me guys who likes to kill hostages and fail the mission all the time! :(

So I ask again... What is the best support weapon for medium to long range (since I only play Conquest).

I have the M249 fully unlocked and the PKP Pecheneg at stock.

I use m249+biopod+ACOG for long range, but the vertical drift is ridiculously bad and hard to hit anything. For long range, is the best the M27? Or do any of the support unlock weapons do better at long range?
Are you talking about when deployed or when used with a foregrip?

Aside from the recon class. Is there a reason why the other classes would pick any of the general full auto guns over their own rifles? Do they make you run significantly faster or something?
At least for me, I only use the general full-auto guns with the other non-recon classes to survive long enough to earn the unlocks needed for that general full-auto gun. Then I can use it with the Recon class without dying as much. Ammo drops, medpack drops, ability to kill that transport or tank with a RPG, or the ability to repair your vehicle all helps me last a little longer when using those general full auto guns.

Personally I don't really like how LMGs behave generally (only used them in BC2 because you had to as medic, barely ever played support in BF2), so I will use the SMGs for support. The larger clip SMGs are also somewhat good for suppressing depending on the map (best example is probably Metro, if you just spray the larger clip SMGs you can get kills/assists/suppress). The shotguns can also be useful as well depending on map, and slugs/frags add more usefulness to them.

But really for me I don't care much about the best way unless it is gross mismatch. I play mainly for fun, and am good enough (I'd think well above average) to not be a liability regardless, so I'll just play with guns (or role) I like due to various reasons.

That's why they need someone mining the players stats. 1 game of 47-3 doesn't scream out cheating. But 10+ games of similar scores does sounds a bit fishy. Even if he isn't cheating he is likely over utilizing something in the game that the developers should look at either fixing or making less powerful.

You couldn't really do this either...Go into a game of Op Metro 64 cq high ticket and if you aren't scoring a k/d higher than about 8/1 you are doing it wrong. I had games of 70-3, 99-9 and usually score in the 60-1/5 range on that map. It is totally for padding stats and fast leveling. I'm really just playing that map to hit mid 40s then maybe B2K will be out by then

I'm not sure why, but I absolutely suck at jets this time around. I was a real stick jockey in BF2 and 1942 (some may even call me a jet whore lol), and was able to own the skies regularly. The jets in BF3 just seem terrible, you can't use free-look and control your aircraft at the same time. Plus there's no external views other than the chase cam, which is useless in the jets. They also seem identical to each other so if you have someone behind you that's even got a basic grasp of the controls you're screwed, unless you get lucky and maneuver out of their rather narrow FOV.

Any tips?

Ran into this "interspire" guy on a server:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/5451461/1/
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/5448764/1/

109 to 3 and 64 to 4. Kinda screaming hacking or cheating to me.

It does ever so slightly. Rather than get killed directly from a grenade or RPG hit, you usually survive with about 10% health left.

he is a cheater, 2.3k points per minute isnt doable.

I ran into several cheaters over the weekend. How do we report them?

small triangle at their name in battlelog.

But as far, cheaters are common and some dont just do 250kills, some do play smart, the game has patterns, and if the killing suddenly change that pattern it is highly likely a cheater.
as far, I seen 5 or so cheaters and logging 130+ hours, it isnt much.
Lucky with admin based servers and not a free for them all.

That I myself is called cheater from noobs is common, the game is such a noob adapted game its silly, the skill level needed to kill someone is so low even my dead aunt would be able to score kills.

, the game is such a noob adapted game its silly, the skill level needed to kill someone is so low even my dead aunt would be able to score kills.

which is why the game isn't that much fun...they've taken the skill out of it.

I hope you understand that SMG are for supressing it's not a sniper riffle, and yes SMG have a lot of recoil. If it'S like BFBC2 , the MG36 that will come with Karkand will be better for medium range, but that'S a big IF

What does that have to do with SMG's?

What does that have to do with SMG's?

Yes sorry LMG, The OP want to do long range kills with a m249 so I told him LMG are for suppress the enemy not for snipe, Peoples have to get real, a sniper rifle with 200 ammo shooting 800 bullets a minute with no recoil don't exist. Unless you are using aimboot and the no recoil hack ..

That I myself is called cheater from noobs is common, the game is such a noob adapted game its silly, the skill level needed to kill someone is so low even my dead aunt would be able to score kills.

Uh, disagree...this is certainly not true at first, when you don't have any decent unlocks and you're forced to use iron sights. When is the last time you saw someone under level 5 anywhere near the top of the score charts with a positive K/D ratio?

Uh, disagree...this is certainly not true at first, when you don't have any decent unlocks and you're forced to use iron sights. When is the last time you saw someone under level 5 anywhere near the top of the score charts with a positive K/D ratio?

Because the fact that they have little experience with the maps and gameplay in general has nothing to do with it... it's all about the iron sight?

Yea sure it's easier to use the later sights (especially IRNV), but it really isn't that hard to kill someone. If you're doing it right, you won't really be going toe to toe against someone. You'll most likely be killing them before they can react to you.

Because the fact that they have little experience with the maps and gameplay in general has nothing to do with it... it's all about the iron sight?

Yea sure it's easier to use the later sights (especially IRNV), but it really isn't that hard to kill someone. If you're doing it right, you won't really be going toe to toe against someone. You'll most likely be killing them before they can react to you.

Let me tell you about a frustration I had many, many times that I've seen echoed by several people. It goes a little like this:

Get the jump on a guy, start shooting him...fairly close range so the shots are definitely landing. He turns around and BAM...dead.

Let me tell you about a frustration I had many, many times that I've seen echoed by several people. It goes a little like this:

Get the jump on a guy, start shooting him...fairly close range so the shots are definitely landing. He turns around and BAM...dead.

I agree, using the iron sights on a gun you haven't used before is a huge disadvantage.

My biggest complaint of the game is probably the gun modeling, it reminds me too much of COD. Problem is recoil is virtually non-existent on most weapons, so it's usually a matter of spraying down the general area and you'll usually end up killing the person, unless it's a longer range. Also the fact that moving around doesn't affect your aim as much as it should, so even if you're strafing side to side it's still easy enough to hit someone a few times to kill them. I can't count the number of times I've been prone and a guy runs into my view and we spot each other at the same time and start shooting, and I've been the one to lose. Heck, being prone is usually a death sentence if the other guy is shooting back because you're so much more likely to die from a headshot because your head is basically center mass for your target profile.

Saying that though, I'm still having a blast with the game and loving every minute of it.

What does that have to do with iron sights and unlocks?

Back