Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Does anyone know how to disable the stupid "do you want to disable aero" pop-up that windows so kindly shows me every single time I launch the game, despite me telling it not to ask me again? I'm getting tired of getting killed because my game will minimize 3-4 minutes after joining a match (and crashing half the time)

In program files, find your BF3.exe or Origin or whatever it is (not got the game, I don't know) and right click>properties>general tab. Then tick/check the "disable desktop composition" box. That's fixed similar issues for me in other games.

But it's at 3.7ghz, would that still be a huge bottleneck?

Actually I might be mistaken. I was thinking of the H article where an OC'd i7 was bottlenecking 580 sli. Then again if an i7 was bottlenecking 2 580's I wouldn't be surprised if a q9550 bottlenecks a single 580.

I'm enjoying BF3...
bf3setupshiz2.jpg

No, at that speed the Q9550 would be fine to power a GTX 580. I might not try SLI, but a single card, sure.
I had a Q9650 @ 4.3ghz and it was bottlenecking a gtx580 on larger maps like caspian border and maps and any 64 person servers. The only map it didn't bottleneck that much on was inside underground on operation metro. You would be smarter to save money and a gtx570.

I've been hitting the 320 since I unlocked it to unlock smoke. Smoke grenades can be just as invaluable in taking objectives as medkits.

Fair enough, but I haven't EVER seen ANYONE use the 320 with smoke yet. Just sayin'.

Fair enough, but I haven't EVER seen ANYONE use the 320 with smoke yet. Just sayin'.
Add 1337SHiZ if you want to see smoke. On Metro Rush we have at least 4 guys all with 6 smoke tubes each smoking the bases when we attack, you should see the comments in game chat lol... I'll post SS when I get home...

"wtf is up with all this smoke"
"I can't see shit!"
"This is BS, can't see anything"

In the airplane mission where you have to tell the A10 to shoot the people on the ground im stuck. I noticed it wouldnt kill them untill they got far away from the center and broke up. I waited 15 mins for the ones in the center to break apart and they wont move. Ive also ran the A10 over top of them about 50 times and it never kills any. Anyone else passed this or stuck here?

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037958949 said:
I had a Q9650 @ 4.3ghz and it was bottlenecking a gtx580 on larger maps like caspian border and maps and any 64 person servers. The only map it didn't bottleneck that much on was inside underground on operation metro. You would be smarter to save money and a gtx570.

Well, upgrading to a 570 from a 480 is almost a sidegrade, isnt it?

Ya, that's true. Hard to say what to do. Really you gotta ditch that CPU... I just sold a Q9550 for $175 on ebay. Then sell the mobo for $50. $200 for 2500k and $120 for a mobo. So pretty much for under $100 you can move to SB setup. Well worth it!

Yes in SP.

I vaguely remember that mission (where you're far outside the hillside village lasing targets for the A-10s, right?). I recall that sometimes after you kill the first set of guys there is either a delay for the next set of targets or possibly you may need to move around the trees to get a good sighting on the last target(s). Not sure if that is your problem or if it's a legitimate glitch, but you might try that.

Yes in SP.

I think i remember that part, I believe I got the kills from designating the target as soon as the target left the helicopter. Killed the first wave and I believe I had to target them a second time for the remainder.

There are a few instances in the SP where the orders you recieve are not very clear, untill after the fact.

The Q9550 isn't going to be anymore of a bottleneck for the 580 then it will for the 480, because you are going to use the extra GPU horsepower to turn up the settings, not to get higher framerates - right? A 580 at Ultra isn't going to bottleneck with a Q9550 any more than a 480 at High settings will. BF3 just isn't that CPU limited:

On the CPU side of things, we found that Battlefield 3 is not nearly as CPU demanding as many have made it out to be. Previously tested games, such as Hard Reset, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Witcher 2 and Crysis 2, saw a massive difference in performance between dual and quad-core processors. For example, in Deus Ex dual-cores were 43% slower than their quad-core counterparts. Battlefield 3 on the other hand delivered similar frame rates with a decent dual-core as it did with a quad.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

Liking the IGLA but so far I haven't been able to take out a place, helos are no problem. Fun just laying around somewhere and locking on just to watched them scamble.

I sort of want them to remake Operation Road Rage...would be perfect for this game with the balanced aircraft.

Not for full price. Might be the first COD on PC which I don't play.

I've always loved the COD single player campaigns going back to the very first one and peaking with COD 4. I've never played COD multiplayer for more than a couple minutes, believe it or not.

I'm all about immersion in games. COD is good at doing big believable set pieces. I like the premium production value on their single player campaigns so much that I've bought every single COD game on PC for full price. COD4 was really amazing in particular. I won't be buying MW3 at full price or close to release date for four reasons:

1. The engine is too old now... time for a new engine in COD
2. On top of old engine they're getting a bit lazy or uncreative with the graphics... e.g. re-using the same animations over and over for major actions.... these things need to vary... the most creative thing in the whole COD series is the opening of COD4 from 2007
2. Too many other games are competing for my playtime... I'll be busy with Batman... not to mention BF3
3. The single player in Black Ops had its moments, but way too many quicktime events... every five minutes they take away control of your character.

Just curious, how many of you will be picking up MW3 too? I played a bunch of MW and maybe 10 hours of MW2, but right now I've still got to finish Batman: AC on top of all the BF3 I'm playing. And then Uncharted 3 comes out tonight. Too many games! I don't think I'll be picking up MW3.

I vaguely remember that mission (where you're far outside the hillside village lasing targets for the A-10s, right?). I recall that sometimes after you kill the first set of guys there is either a delay for the next set of targets or possibly you may need to move around the trees to get a good sighting on the last target(s). Not sure if that is your problem or if it's a legitimate glitch, but you might try that.

im in the air.

The Q9550 isn't going to be anymore of a bottleneck for the 580 then it will for the 480, because you are going to use the extra GPU horsepower to turn up the settings, not to get higher framerates - right? A 580 at Ultra isn't going to bottleneck with a Q9550 any more than a 480 at High settings will. BF3 just isn't that CPU limited:

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

I found you can also open the game through Steam so the overlay works and you *should* be able to invite friends to play through that.

If you don't hit spacebar to accept, you bleed out; at least, that's what happened to me in the beta.

Nope, they appear to have changed that. I've been saved multiple times and just kept fighting and eventually healed on my own.

seems like most ppl now are vechs/sniper/mortars - sometimes engi(depends on map)

Nope, they appear to have changed that. I've been saved multiple times and just kept fighting and eventually healed on my own.

Yeah, it still flashes that up on the screen, but I've long stopped pushing Space and I've never not been revived because of it (unless I'm subconscious pressing it).

im in the air.

Oh...You said something about A-10 so I was thinking the mission where you lase targets for the A-10 on the ground.

Anyway, no, I never got stuck on that one. I remember that there were two groups of enemy infantry, and one group "got away" but the mission proceeded as normal.

Is there a way to remove the BF3 Beta from Origin so only retail BF3 is displayed?

Finally unlocked air radar for jets but as it turns out, it sucks ass and can not even ping the one behind you or hiding behind the flag status. :(

After playing a lot of BF3 over the last few days, I am now of the opinion that my system needs an upgrade. It plays it fine, but I really want to have 60+ smooth fps with high settings, and I am just not getting it with my current e6750 C2D 2.66ghz and DDr2 PC800 ram lol. I think my 5850 will do me fine for now, or until I can afford to pick up a better card in the future or go with another 5850 for some crossfire action, but right now I am going to be on an extreme budget for the next 5 months and $400 will probably be the most I will be able to squeeze out.

I was thinking of going with the i5 2500 and a decent motherboard, but I am also looking into getting a quad core AMD cpu/mobo combo which I haven't done since I last had a 3000+ K6 back in the day. I figure I can keep everything on my system and just switch out the MB/CPU/RAM.

Any recommendations?

ps, I looked into just getting a quad core for my current motherboard, but I am looking at $200 or so for the cpu and that's not a good path for future proofing when I can get a better modern cpu for the same price.

After playing a lot of BF3 over the last few days, I am now of the opinion that my system needs an upgrade. It plays it fine, but I really want to have 60+ smooth fps with high settings, and I am just not getting it with my current e6750 C2D 2.66ghz and DDr2 PC800 ram lol. I think my 5850 will do me fine for now, or until I can afford to pick up a better card in the future or go with another 5850 for some crossfire action, but right now I am going to be on an extreme budget for the next 5 months and $400 will probably be the most I will be able to squeeze out.

I was thinking of going with the i5 2500 and a decent motherboard, but I am also looking into getting a quad core AMD cpu/mobo combo which I haven't done since I last had a 3000+ K6 back in the day. I figure I can keep everything on my system and just switch out the MB/CPU/RAM.

Any recommendations?

ps, I looked into just getting a quad core for my current motherboard, but I am looking at $200 or so for the cpu and that's not a good path for future proofing when I can get a better modern cpu for the same price.

Dual core to a quad core won't help much with BF3, but if you're upgrading anyway you might as well.

Oh...You said something about A-10 so I was thinking the mission where you lase targets for the A-10 on the ground.

Anyway, no, I never got stuck on that one. I remember that there were two groups of enemy infantry, and one group "got away" but the mission proceeded as normal.

Im in the plane looking down with some camera. I took out the planes on the runway, then some vehicles and a helicopter. Then a group of orange dots show up in the middle of the run way. It tells me to switch over to the A-10. I do so and when i put the mark on the targets it comes through and shoots and none of them die/go away. I shot at them for 30 minutes and nothing happened.

Back