Battlefield 2042

Yes, I own the game. It's the worst "battlefield" title I've ever played.
100%. I've played every game. I didn't like the direction it went with BF1 and BF5, but at least those games generally delivered a coherent experience, and generally had some neat novelty to them.

I still remember how trash the launch was for BF Vietnam, and all sorts of problems throughout the series. However, there is no doubt in my mind this is the worst one. Full stop. No question. The launch is awful, and honestly I just don't see how they could fix this game. It's horrific. It needed at least 2 more years minimum of full scale development time on every aspect.

And again, even games that I really didn't like, like BF1, were at least entertaining on launch due to their graphics and sound. This game has none of it. It just looks like garbage. This might be the first Battlefield game where the competing CoD release also looks substantially better, so it doesn't even have that going for it. It's not that CoD: Vanguard looks amazing BTW, it's the fact that everything about 2042 is just complete garbage from a design standpoint. The 3D graphics look like shit, the UI looks like shit, and the artwork looks like shit.

IMO, the series is going to be dead 100% with this game. This is another Anthem for EA in my book. It's just so painfully obvious at this point. By the time they fix this trash no one is going to care.

As to why I want a scoreboard? Uh, so I can see who's in the server? So I can see my ping? So I can see how much i'm sucking? In what world would you not want a scoreboard in a multiplayer FPS? Even Activision wouldn't be so stupid to remove it from CoD.
Have you played the game?

Like everything you are complaining about is there? Besides worrying about who is in the server.....

Attachments

• um.jpg
    um.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 0
Yes, believe it or not I like to see the ping and K/D of other players on a server, so I know if I need to bail or not, among other reasons.
Oh, so you like bandwagoning for easy wins. You could have just said that.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Oh, so you like bandwagoning for easy wins. You could have just said that.
No, I don't like playing when someone with a 200/1 K/D ratio is on the server, or i'm playing with a bunch of people with shit latency.

I guess those problems must never exist, and i'm just trying to stat pad though.

I'm shocked that anyone is defending this garbage, TBH.

Ya this game is pretty rough in all aspects. Probably won't be fixed for another 6-12 months of this launch Beta.

No, I don't like playing when someone with a 200/1 K/D ratio is on the server, or i'm playing with a bunch of people with shit latency.

I guess those problems must never exist, and i'm just trying to stat pad though.

I was being sarcastic :).

Usually I cheerlead the BF games even with shitty launches....but fuck this game is bad. The 2 month old build for the Open beta was better than the shit they launched with. How the fuck is that even possible?

TURN OFF CROSSPLAY if you are having issues getting into a match especially a base game match (all out warfare)! (Some persistence error message)

Try it. Worked for me!

Last edited:
Still haven’t been able to get into an all out warfare map. Get an error about a persistent connection. Played one portal game that was over in 5 mins. Played 2 hazard zone games, got rocked in the first one, second one my team didn’t show up so I went in by myself and died. This is a terrible game so far
Turn off crossplay!

Turn off crossplay!
party of three, all PC. We got into matches 25-33% of the time. Crossplay was disabled. Typical BF launch day beta shit-show. It was fun, when we got to play, but the 128 player maps are just a clusterfuck

Agreed, and that score screen looks like ass. Looks like it is supposed to be an organic part of the gameplay HUD. There is a reason tradittionally the score page looked a lot different from gameplay HUDS. Basic GUI/info flow fail. Bring back the old BF style page.

It's scary to think that it was claimed earlier in the year this game was supposedly ahead of schedule, that schedule apparently being the minimum level of stability, optimization and features before it gets booted out the door.

One minute it's ahead of schedule, then later on the year it's delayed for a month (hello battlefield v) then released. And it speaks volumes that people seem genuinely more interested in portal than the base game, I've not even bothered to try the base game yet.

Be interested in knowing why for bc2 and bf3 they delivered the minimum experience with no vehicle gadgets or weapons attachments. Playing bc2 without a grenade launcher on the gun just feels off. I also love how they attempted to mask the destruction being more minimal in bc2 with explosions kicking up far more dust/smoke to hide the transition between undamaged and damaged.

Sadly it's just another release dictated by the publishers. These games never get the development time they need and are released in rough shape time after time.

It's scary to think that it was claimed earlier in the year this game was supposedly ahead of schedule, that schedule apparently being the minimum level of stability, optimization and features before it gets booted out the door.

One minute it's ahead of schedule, then later on the year it's delayed for a month (hello battlefield v) then released. And it speaks volumes that people seem genuinely more interested in portal than the base game, I've not even bothered to try the base game yet.

Be interested in knowing why for bc2 and bf3 they delivered the minimum experience with no vehicle gadgets or weapons attachments. Playing bc2 without a grenade launcher on the gun just feels off. I also love how they attempted to mask the destruction being more minimal in bc2 with explosions kicking up far more dust/smoke to hide the transition between undamaged and damaged.

Sadly it's just another release dictated by the publishers. These games never get the development time they need and are released in rough shape time after time.
Huh I was able to add attachments to my guns playing BF3. Didn't try BC2 since I was never a huge fan of rush. Didn't check to see if i could add vehicle attachments though.

Edit: I can confirm you can add attachments to vehicles and weapons in both BC2 and BF3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Huh I was able to add attachments to my guns playing BF3. Didn't try BC2 since I was never a huge fan of rush. Didn't check to see if i could add vehicle attachments though.

Edit: I can confirm you can add attachments to vehicles and weapons in both BC2 and BF3.
Nothing like that is appearing for me for some reason.

Nothing like that is appearing for me for some reason.
Once you are in-game. Before you spawn hit ESC and go to I think (Not home right now) collection, then vehicles?

Don't get me wrong, it could of been better placed, but you can add stuff. At least they didnt make you unlock the shit ya know?

I’m still trying to understand the point of hazard zone. Recover things, buy limited selection of stuff for next round, fight ai and get third partied by real squad. No real risk just credits for next time. Kinda wish it was a little more like the DZ from the division where you could go find loot and try and get it out.

Once you are in-game. Before you spawn hit ESC and go to I think (Not home right now) collection, then vehicles?

Don't get me wrong, it could of been better placed, but you can add stuff. At least they didnt make you unlock the shit ya know?

I see that now, seems bugged as well, sometimes i can attach a scope, other times it won't let me, ive yet to be able to attach a grenade launcher or shotgun.

I’m still trying to understand the point of hazard zone. Recover things, buy limited selection of stuff for next round, fight ai and get third partied by real squad. No real risk just credits for next time. Kinda wish it was a little more like the DZ from the division where you could go find loot and try and get it out.

The hazard zone gameplay (find objective, return it to base for money for better arms) just harkens back to counterstrike 20 years ago. It's bemusing that this was the mode they were keeping secret like it was something special.

The VIP Fiesta custom mode they’re promoting on the main Portal page is great. Really fun.

I feel like this game was trying to make the correct steps in the right direction, but man, this game feels like a complete garbage alpha product. Both prior games had their issues at launch, but at least they weren't this level of trash all around. So many things about this game, like the UI, are just complete garbage. It's awful to look at.

As to why I want a scoreboard? Uh, so I can see who's in the server? So I can see my ping? So I can see how much i'm sucking? In what world would you not want a scoreboard in a multiplayer FPS? Even Activision wouldn't be so stupid to remove it from CoD.
I often look at the scoreboard for ping. When I unload a full magazine without getting the kill or die when taking cover, I can see whether or not the person I went against has a high ping.
I see a 180 ping and I know it's not me. A toggled, fullscreen Scoreboard is important.

Last edited:
I suspect this game will get polished up nicely as Battlefield games always do. Maybe they clearly did not have time to finish, but they also have a week before full launch.

All the issues complained about can be patched. The real question is whether the community will abandon the game and whether the devs will continue to support it to see it through. Hopefully the game doesn’t tank or they might just pull the plug, in which case this may be the end of the franchise.

Personally i’m supporting the game in the hope they continue to develop it. Frankly it is a miracle we got anything considering the challenges posed by Covid. A lot of devs, like Nintendo, don’t even have a date for AAA titles. (BOTW 2).

I would’ve been more surprised if they knocked out a completely awesome fresh new battlefield in the middle of all this insanity.

I suspect this game will get polished up nicely as Battlefield games always do. Maybe they clearly did not have time to finish, but they also have a week before full launch.

All the issues complained about can be patched. The real question is whether the community will abandon the game and whether the devs will continue to support it to see it through. Hopefully the game doesn’t tank or they might just pull the plug, in which case this may be the end of the franchise.

Personally i’m supporting the game in the hope they continue to develop it. Frankly it is a miracle we got anything considering the challenges posed by Covid. A lot of devs, like Nintendo, don’t even have a date for AAA titles. (BOTW 2).

I would’ve been more surprised if they knocked out a completely awesome fresh new battlefield in the middle of all this insanity.
I also would have to agree. I think Portal is a huge win in my book. I fucking loved playing those 2 maps. NEED MOAR OLD MAPS PLS.

Gonna wait for EA to figure this game out and fix it. Put in a refund request with Microsoft and it was approved instantly which means they are well aware of the issues.

Once the game is patched up and on sale I'll look at buying again but till then I will sit on my $85 lol

Would covid really affect development that much? Anything they can do in the office they can likely do at home, including meetings about the game etc. All they would really need is a decent pc at home and a connection to game assets, or potentially get their work pc sent to their home.

Would covid really affect development that much? Anything they can do in the office they can likely do at home, including meetings about the game etc. All they would really need is a decent pc at home and a connection to game assets, or potentially get their work pc sent to their home.
People say that, but for demanding work, in-person always seems to produce better results. Everyone sitting together working on the same thing can more easily communicate.

However, with EA's massive development model? Maybe not. I just know from experience that smaller high-speed groups that get shit done, seem to do so faster when they're physically working together. A giant corporate structure where no one is talking to each other anyways outside of meetings, and different studios are doing different components of the game? Likely not.

To me, that's the biggest issue with lots of these games. You can tell there wasn't a very good directed vision. It's like a bunch of crap was assembled together that entirely different groups worked on.. Because that's actually what happened.

I also would have to agree. I think Portal is a huge win in my book. I fucking loved playing those 2 maps. NEED MOAR OLD MAPS PLS.
Gibme Wake Island, Brackle!

In other news I saw a tweet from a DICE dev yesterday that scoreboard is coming. IMO this will REVOLUTIONIZE the modern military shooter.

Good news: not GPU bound!
Bad news: holy lord, always CPU bound.

Really unimpressed with performance in this title.

I think there will be a free BR announced between the 19th and new year. EA said in a earnings call that some part of 2042 will be free to play. warzone is making 5 million per day, and apex is almost 2 years old. So I think that will be the money maker for the franchise. Hopefully some of that money goes into the base game too. There should be a day one patch so hopefully that fixes alot.

Good news: not GPU bound!
Bad news: holy lord, always CPU bound.

Really unimpressed with performance in this title.
Seems gpu bound for me, getting 90%+ gpu usage. 70-100 fps max settings, 1440p, 3070. does your cpu struggle with warzone?

I think there will be a free BR announced between the 19th and new year. EA said in a earnings call that some part of 2042 will be free to play. warzone is making 5 million per day, and apex is almost 2 years old. So I think that will be the money maker for the franchise. Hopefully some of that money goes into the base game too. There should be a day one patch so hopefully that fixes alot.

Seems gpu bound for me, getting 90%+ gpu usage. 70-100 fps max settings, 1440p, 3070. does your cpu struggle with warzone?
with 4k and DLSS set on quality, I can sometimes be CPU bound. I will have the GPU get down around 91%. Not all the time, but that did shock me quite a bit. Really looking forward to those v-cache CPU's coming.

Finally got in some all our warfare games....I'd like to change my opinion on the game...not terrible. Could use some polish for sure, but it has good bones now that I can play the game. Maps might be a bit too big sometimes, but never struggled with finding a fight. Was so glad to find that the air controls can be moved back to legacy, I fly with a xbox controller. FPS looks to be about the same as others 80-110 in game with everything at ultra in 1440. I havent tried DLSS yet to see if it picks up, game does look pretty dang good.

Was glad to see teabagging was still in the game, I had a nice run and teabagged every single one of those jokers...ahhh...what fun.

Finally got in some all our warfare games....I'd like to change my opinion on the game...not terrible. Could use some polish for sure, but it has good bones now that I can play the game. Maps might be a bit too big sometimes, but never struggled with finding a fight. Was so glad to find that the air controls can be moved back to legacy, I fly with a xbox controller. FPS looks to be about the same as others 80-110 in game with everything at ultra in 1440. I havent tried DLSS yet to see if it picks up, game does look pretty dang good.

Was glad to see teabagging was still in the game, I had a nice run and teabagged every single one of those jokers...ahhh...what fun.
what do the legacy controls do? I always flew with a joy stick back in bf3 and since then its gotten screwed up and I quit trying to fly. every time I used kb/m I don't really enjoying flying much and it feels weird. thinking of getting a controller.

Last edited:
what do the legacy controls do? I always flew with a joy stick back in bf3 and since then its gotten screwed up and I quit trying to fly. every time I used kb/m I don't really enjoying flying much and it feels weird. thinking of getting a controller.
Puts it back to bf3/bf4 flight controls from the Xbox which is what I did most of my flying on

It’s also amazing to me how much better I can snipe in this game compared to any cod/warzone game

I refunded this garbage.

No server browser.
But not just that, kicks you back to the lobby/matchmaking after each game. So you can't have a grudge match against a team that just beat you. Or any type of progression.
No all chat. Fucking gay.
No scoreboard.
No stats.
Shit squad system.
No class system.
Less destruction.
No medic indicators on map.
No vehicle customization.
- This affects Portal heavily. BF3 is now, not BF3.

Lots of other shit I am forgetting. But they have now officially stripped out 90% of what made Battlefield Battlefield. Congrats, it's now a COD knockoff.

Fuck EA in their fucking asses.
1. I haven't played enough to look for server browser, but IIRC, BFV or was it BF1?, also had no browser at release, it came later.
3. It does to have all chat, you have to cycle thru to it
4. yes it does, press tab (pc), it's just in a different format (edit: I apologize, It seems it only cycles thru party, team, squad. I have mixed up COD Vanguard with Battlefield 2042, so I am incorrect here)
5. Not sure what stats you are looking for here.. it shows some stats after the completion of the match (scoreboard also shows kills/assists). Not sure if there are other stats outside of the match.. haven't looked.

Last edited:
I suspect this game will get polished up nicely as Battlefield games always do.
I used to think that until they shit on BFV repeatedly with the weapon rebalancing nerfs they pushed twice, the first time right before the entire studio took a 6 week Christmas vacation leaving us with a version of the game no one wanted for that entire duration. Then they abandoned it and left it to die.

I want 2042 to be a great game but so far I'm seeing nearly universal criticism. Not confidence inspiring...

Back