BATTLEFIELD 1

BF1 MP livestream in progress...

Last edited:
I agree the game looks badass. But I'm not spending $100 for the base game and DLC crap. It woulld have to be the greatest BF game ever before I pay that kind of money.

prolly first BF game i will have ever skipped. Just not interested in the setting or gameplay at all.
Its like the plethora of COD's and being the one that finally broke my habit of being suckered into buying all of them.

It looks fun but some things look really out of place. The whole 3d-spotting aind UI elements are way too much. It really takes you out of the setting and time period when you have giant floating icons over peoples heads. I say remove all of that. Make spotting only show as a blip on your map and only show a general location, do not point out the specific person/s or their movement/directions AFTER they have been spotted. Then limit it only to a radius around where the person who spotted it was, so your entire team doesn't magically know it somehow.

The smgs/mg's and things seemed way too numerious. Bolt actions were the main weapon used across every-single-army of the war yet the smgs and things seemed to far outnumber people using the bolt actions. I really hope they figure out a way to make people want to use them and provide good reasons to use them instead of just smg'ing everyhting.

I fear though because of another thing.

Recoil. The rifles seemed to have a LOT of recoil yet the smg/lmbs seemed to have virtually no recoil at all. They need to make it so that smgs have short-range accuracy and have recoil. Make LMGS have a LOT of recoil and poor accuracy at range UNLESS you mount the lmg and use the bipod or such. To me this would solve a lot of issues and give people more reasons to use bolt actions. Give them long range accuracy and things

The whole dynamic weather thing was nice. THe way the rain changed things, dampening the color, making everything look wet, etc was nice. It'd be great if it also had drawbacks to things, making tanks slower, causing people who sprint to have a random % chance to slip or such.

Overall it was what I expected rather then what I hoped for. I just hope that there's a "hardcore" mode that removes spotting and things.

Now this looks like fun:

Definitely think I will be rolling the pilot class in this game.

It looks fun but some things look really out of place. The whole 3d-spotting aind UI elements are way too much. It really takes you out of the setting and time period when you have giant floating icons over peoples heads. I say remove all of that. Make spotting only show as a blip on your map and only show a general location, do not point out the specific person/s or their movement/directions AFTER they have been spotted. Then limit it only to a radius around where the person who spotted it was, so your entire team doesn't magically know it somehow.

The smgs/mg's and things seemed way too numerious. Bolt actions were the main weapon used across every-single-army of the war yet the smgs and things seemed to far outnumber people using the bolt actions. I really hope they figure out a way to make people want to use them and provide good reasons to use them instead of just smg'ing everyhting.

Recoil. The rifles seemed to have a LOT of recoil yet the smg/lmbs seemed to have virtually no recoil at all. They need to make it so that smgs have short-range accuracy and have recoil. Make LMGS have a LOT of recoil and poor accuracy at range UNLESS you mount the lmg and use the bipod or such. To me this would solve a lot of issues and give people more reasons to use bolt actions. Give them long range accuracy and things

The whole dynamic weather thing was nice. THe way the rain changed things, dampening the color, making everything look wet, etc was nice. It'd be great if it also had drawbacks to things, making tanks slower, causing people who sprint to have a random % chance to slip or such.

Overall it was what I expected rather then what I hoped for. I just hope that there's a "hardcore" mode that removes spotting and things.

Def agreeing with you on the recoil thing. If they get to beta and there's no sign of massive recoil on some of these weapons they definitely won't be getting a pre-order from me. I'm a guy that typically plays infantry and the idea of some melee combat and shitty bolt action rifles tickles me BEYOND belief, but if we're just going to get mowed down by SMG and LMG fire that is accurate and recoil free then count me out. There needs to be huge drawbacks to the "modern" weapons of that era because they were newer at the time and definitely not as thoroughly combat tested.

Yeah this honestly looks like a blast. I haven't played many of the Battlefield games since BF2 but this definitely has my interest.

I dunno....the game itself looks amazing, and the airplane battles look great. But as some other people have said, the infantry combat looks too fucking CoD and they need to make it more realistic. When I see a guy shooting down an airplane with a hand held machine gun from fuckshitfarasfuck away I'm like ok that's kind of stupid

Movement looks even more CoD like than before.

I'd say that's high praise if that's the best you can do for the quota DICE bashing.. :)

Thankfully I wouldn't know what "COD-like" means or why it's supposed to be inherently bad since I don't play COD.

Last edited:
Trying to latch onto something, anything to complain about because DICE game eh? :)

No, its call constructive criticism, a completely foreign subject to your world view of anything DICE related. What a surprise that you already white knighting and shouting down any views that diverge from your own.

Thankfully I wouldn't even know wtf "COD-like" means or why it's inherently bad since I don't play COD.

I suspect you don't know many things when it comes to being a discerning consumer. Just hand over your wallet to EA and move along, we already know what you think.

1465777987059.jpg

I agree. This felt like a modded BF4. The speed/pace just seemed too high with all of the machine guns for what I had expected. The 3d spotting pissed me off and I don't know why they went with the female voice over (sounded like the briefing lady from the original Rainbow Six).

Things I did notice and liked:
- Weather effects and battlefield deformation.
- Getting-in Animations for vehicles/mounted guns.
- Team based actions seem to get more points. I saw one guy get +800 for capturing a point. Another got +500 for assisting a squad member.
- Connected gameplay "Objectives". Where the map carries over to the next, so they're told in order and in a push / pull fashion from what I understand.

If they slow the speed a tad and give a reason to use bolt actions versus the run'n'spray'n'pray then I think it could be fun.

Thankfully I wouldn't know what "COD-like" means or why it's supposed to be inherently bad since I don't play COD.
I don't get the comparison neither because they have been essentially the same game for the past five years.

CoD has been known for getitng more and more faster-paced, to the point now that you are required/expected to be a "run and gunner" type of player, the speed of your movement and actions has increased a lot since the early days of CoD

BF on the other hand (at least with BC2, my favorite bf game) it was not anywhere like this. The speed of movement and things was fluid, but it wasn't super-fast.

It's basically like comparing Quake to Counter-strike. Both aren't super "realistic" but they have their differences and fans don't want to see one become the other or vice versa.

I hope there's no spotting period.

In BF1942 you saw friendlies, no enemies IIRC.

For a WW1 game it would make no sense and I hate how most modern fps games have basical ly a built in wall-hack that tells you where all the enemies are. It leads to people having to look at toheir mini-map instiead of focusing on the game and what they see/hear instead. It also stop speople from being able to play stealthily and other things.

BF4 hardcore mode takes out that radar shit. Anyhow, I'm not excited about this game in the least seeing how the trailer opened w/an Xbox logo. Just screams console trash to me and will probably have small maps with the same old boring gameplay with loads of DLC + microtransactions. Seriously, aren't you guys bored of the same gameplay rehashed over the last decade? DICE used to mean quality to me but now it's just dog shit. Great engines, boring games.

Last edited:
Things I noticed...

Gun balance
-LMG's. From what I saw, burst fire was essential with the Vickers I saw people handling. Caught a segment when he even ADS, fired at a guy full auto 20 yards away, hit him twice. I do that with an LMG in BF4, I would waste someone quickly
-SMG's. Saw a few SMG's used. Same tactics as the LMG, needed to burst fire for any accuracy, most people used an entire mag at any distance whatsoever. One big exception though...the SMG with the mag coming out the top vertically. That one needs a serious accuracy nerf to match the other SMG's.
-Semi Auto rifles. 2-4 shots per kill and fire rate as fast as you can click the mouse. Almost like the DMR's in BF4, the M39 and M1 Garand in BC2, and the M1 Garand from BF1942.
-Bolt Action Snipers. They seem to have pretty high damage. I saw plenty of one shot kills be they close quarters hip fire, headshots at range, and I even caught a quick scope close quarters one shot.

Air Combat
-Looks amazing. Finally looking forward to good all gun dogfights. The bullets are slow and they have to lead targets quite a bit.
-The Goliath Zeppelin's. Well done. Pilot-able, bombs, but can be shot down quickly.

Spawn system is fantastic.
Dynamic weather is amazing.
Destruction is great, you don't want to be anywhere near the zeppelin when it goes down.

Vehicle damage system.
-Tanks can have individual turrets disabled or the treads blown off but still have other functions
-Planes start to fly erratically

Things I don't like
-FFS get rid of the 3D spotting. It makes no sense in WWI. At the minimum, they need to roll the spotting mechanics back to BF1942 style
-In vehicle repairs. It does come with the downside of having to completely stop your tank, but I foresee the immortal vehicle whores returning. I also spotted someone doing the repairs while in a plane while flying. Granted he could only fly straight when he did it, but vehicle whores will love it.

I await the beta to get a better feel. I have no doubt there will be some balancing issues at first, but it looks nearly there as it is. That's a good sign.

I'm not putting down my pre-order yet, but I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
Certainly looks like CoD's take on WWII with automatic weapons everywhere, even though its WWI. Which is worse I suppose. Jumping over the walls like monkeys looks down right silly and artificially speeds up the game. As I figured they're slap BF3/4 gameplay into WWI.

I swear I just saw terry crews playing on the stream!?
There were a ton of celebrities there.
Terry Crews
Jamie Foxx
Snoop Dogg (and he was definitely smoking a blunt about 6:30 in)
Mike Tyson (I swear I saw him somewhere but not on the scoreboard)
Zac Efron
Tyrese Gibson
Marshawn Lynch
Wiz Khalifa

Just check the scoreboard that pops up every once in a while.

Last edited:
I swear I just saw terry crews playing on the stream!?

He was, and he was one of the only celebs that used a kb/m instead of a controller. Though he finished in like second-to-last place in score he still seemed like he actually enjoyed it and had fun vs many other celebs who were either stoned out of their minds or looked like they wanted to be somewhere else.

ahhhh ok so I wasn't seeing things! I only popped in for a few minutes right when the zeppelins were coming in. saw him high fiving same dude and was like what?!

Meh, graphics looked nice but the gameplay didn't excite me at all. I feel like I'll get bored of this version in about two weeks like I did with BF4. The most hype thing about the press conference was the cameraman zooming in on Snoop clearly smoking a blunt during the multiplayer event.

It will be Great if they get the mechanics like clunky machine guns and Tanks in order. instead of having a polishing M-16 or Shotgun you have this old clunky gun that came right out of Metro Last Light.

Suppose I will only get this when its cheap, $30 or so, assuming it isn't a cluster**** like BF4 was at launch and a good year or so post launch. Maybe their patches won't break the servers/game for a few days/weeks to. Not sure about DLC this time around. It doesn't look like they put much effort into it. I know they said they were going to take a liberal approach when it comes to what weapons would be in the game, but it looks more like a liberal approach to WWII. Even in WWII the vast majority had bolt actions outside of the US. Germans only started to phase in some semi autos in later 1943, and SMGs for infantry was essentially unheard of aside from those captured from dead Soviets.

Just seems like they had an opportunity to take a risk but dashed it with more of the same. I would have preferred modern warfare, but if they were doing WWI I would have liked it to play more like a WWI game. Almost everyone gets bolt actions. It would change up the pace at least. If they wanted the game to play like a modern game, just continue with the theme. Then again, maybe it various from map to map. Early war maps have limited automatic weapons, late war have more. Can't tell too much from a few videos, but I wouldn't be surprised if all maps were the same.

Problem is, if this sells poorly because it looks like more rehashed shit, they will just claim it's because they "took a risk and it failed" and we'll just keep getting more modern warfare BS...

You recall that they claim it almost didn't happen in the first place because they didn't think gamers would "know what WWI was"...lol.

Can't really win.

It looks like
It seems like
It tastes like
It smells like

Just wait to play the game yourself, then make a first hand decision to buy it or not.
Looking at YouTubers play the game will be totally different in how you will play the game.

The whole dynamic weather thing was nice. THe way the rain changed things, dampening the color, making everything look wet, etc was nice. It'd be great if it also had drawbacks to things, making tanks slower, causing people who sprint to have a random % chance to slip or such..

Like you said I'd like to see weather have more than an aesthetic change to the game where player movement is affected and the chance of vehicles getting stuck in the mud.

Back