BATTLEFIELD 1

The thing is though, one of the main points of zeppelins was to drop things. If you can't control where it goes then people can easily dodge it's flight path or it can simply be unable to go where you might want it o go in order to deliver its payload.

The L.52 zeppelin got up to around 66mph, to put that into prospective the Vickers FB 5 (the first fighter airplane) had a top speed of 70mph and the Albatros J.1 ( which was made in 1917, same year as the L.52 and focused on ground assault) had a top speed of 71mph.

It wasn't like Zeppelins were the only slow'ish flying things and all airplanes were super fast, I mean there were plenty of planes that were indeed faster, but speed wasn't the end all be all for aircraft.

On top of that Zeppelins weren't that easy to bring down, It's not like most people think, a giant balloon that you can just "pop" and down it goes. Zeppelins weren't made like that and you could easily fire through it without even hitting anything but the frame and even if you did hit a gas area it didn't "pop" like a balloon because the pressure was equal and had many other bags to hold it up.

Zeppelins were not easily taken down by airplanes, not to mention they tended to have their own defensive weapons mounted to fight off airplanes. You could do multiple strafing runs against it and it can still fly even after being hit many times. That is why they had to make things like incendiary rounds to use against them or the ranken darts that I mentioned earlier.

Damn it, you guys are fools. Do you not realize that if you do not preorder, you have no recourse when some disappointing news leaks about the game! You cannot "preorder cancel" what you have not ordered! No one on the forums will take you seriously unless you preorder, and then you announce your cancellation with aplomb.

For example, "No trench rot? PREORDER CANCELED". Now you've made a statement.

Personally Im looking forward to this. I have some great memories of BF42 and think the slower pace could offer a bit of relief and some cool opportunities for game play and use of gadgets and tactics over run and gun.

Loved that in BF42 you could cruise around in the freaking battleship. Hated the dbags that used it as a taxi or beached it cuz the lulz. Balance is a tricky thing when trolls are involved. Anyone else recall the AC-130 from PoE?

Here is to hoping they start where BF4 ended up in terms of net code and performance and not starting over...

I have played all of the BF series very thoroughly in the MP (SP, not so much) and only 2 of the COD series, but I quite enjoyed CoD World at War. Cool feel and liked the vibe. With what DICE has in their portfolio, I cant imagine that they will come up with some spectacular maps and gear, even if its historical integrity is slightly compromised.

I loved the battleship with the big sets of guns. I used to pound the shoreline.

I'm surprised this got overlooked:

Server Browser confirmed. Sounds like Battlelog is getting the boot.

I'm hoping that means they also learned their lesson from Battlefront regarding the lack of managed servers. Maybe soon we will get confirmation of this, even if we are just renting them out from another company. If the community can't manage the servers and get rid of cheaters, this game will die quickly.

I will punch your kitten for anyone pre-ordering this game to get the 'Hellfighter Pack' or pre-ordering it period. If you do not have a kitten, I will supply one, punch it, and give it to you.

Must say though, I got to see where this is going. Could work.

I agree that the deluxe pack doesn't look deluxe at all atm. I will have to find out more before I place any kind of order.

I'm hoping that means they also learned their lesson from Battlefront regarding the lack of managed servers. Maybe soon we will get confirmation of this, even if we are just renting them out from another company. If the community can't manage the servers and get rid of cheaters, this game will die quickly.

Somewhat surprising considering the time, money and resources invested in battlelog. I wouldn't be surprised if what is meant by that is to expect the same platform/UI as the previous BF games considering that BL is really just a server browser embedded in an annoying html platform.

I didn't like BL when it came out with BF3. Now, it doesn't even bother me one bit. In fact I like it better than an in game browser.

I didn't like BL when it came out with BF3. Now, it doesn't even bother me one bit. In fact I like it better than an in game browser.

Ditto. I couldn't imagine them trying to build all the dynamic functionality of the browser based battlelog into the game executable without it getting majorly watered down. It's just more convenient finding and joining servers "out of band", as well as conveniences like finding a better server while you're already in a game.

I think everyone is just used to in-game server browsers, but Battlelog is a high density of information that would be square peg into role hole trying to crowbar it into the game executable.

Last edited:

There was no lesson to be learned from Battlefront per se' - they weren't 'experimenting' or 'trying to get away with not having one' as some conspiracy theories went. A server browser wasn't a design goal for that particular game. People read into it and assumed it was part of some broader shift away from managed and browsable servers but that simply wasn't the case.

Last edited:

Battlelog is so awesome that it places me into a server lobby all by myself for hours in Battlefront. So I invited my buddy to my team and tried again thinking that it has issues with solo players. Then it placed both of us in an empty lobby for 15 mins before he said F this. BF4 was worse in some ways. I would search for servers to play on and always get a list of 100 empty servers or servers in Europe. I live in the USA. No matter what I did it kept finding me European servers. So to get around this I learned to search for every server in the USA and wait forever until the list populated. Even then it would find me 5 servers that had people on it. I know darn well that there were more than 5 servers with people playing BF4 in the USA.

Needless to say I said F Origin and EA. I don't even have Origin installed nowadays. I didn't bother with that cops and robbers game Hardline because I'm through with the Battlelog headaches. I may install Origin to finish Dragon Age. Might... Not sure. I get ticked when I see Battlefront and know I can't find a match.

They lost me with the alternate history bit. It wasn't needed. Soldiers regularly had to make their own field mods to weapons and equipment in real life and those could have been incorporated instead of fantasy bullshit. If they wanted to have an excuse for micro transactions or content packs they could have charged $ to stop the Chauchat from harming more of its users than its targets (the early models rarely ran a full clip dry without a hard jam and sometimes the guns themselves fell apart during firing with dangerous results to the operator).

That

They lost me with the alternate history bit. It wasn't needed. Soldiers regularly had to make their own field mods to weapons and equipment in real life and those could have been incorporated instead of fantasy bullshit. If they wanted to have an excuse for micro transactions or content packs they could have charged $ to stop the Chauchat from harming more of its users than its targets (the early models rarely ran a full clip dry without a hard jam and sometimes the guns themselves fell apart during firing with dangerous results to the operator).

That

What if they added a scavenger hunt element into the game where as you rifle through the dead bodies of your enemies, there is a 3% chance to obtain a crafting supply. Save enough of them and you can randomly craft a mod ala' free Battlepack. Someone should suggest this to them.
Then again I could imagine nobody pushing up because they are sifting through the dead bodies. To counter the scavenger mechanic, allow engineers to booby trap the bodies. Holy sh*t I could imagine the cussing on the servers. I would sit through Battlelog matchmaking for that!

That

No offense but they weren't in a position to narrow-scope this game to appease a handful of history nerds. Videogames =/= real life. It's gotta be entertaining above all else; realism or sticking to a hardline ideal of historical accuracy would just get another studio shuttered.

No offense but they weren't in a position to narrow-scope this game to appease a handful of history nerds. Videogames =/= real life. It's gotta be entertaining above all else; realism or sticking to a hardline ideal of historical accuracy would just get another studio shuttered.

I get that, but players have been crying for a WW1 based BF game since the original came out. A failed mod was the closest we ever got. And the more CoD like BF became, the less of us old timers gave a crap. Some of us just want a realistic shooter with basic "enjoy your bowl of dicks" faceshots with weapons that don't have to be leveled up like WoW. Give me a modern remake of the original MoH or BF and I'll happily open my wallet. Some of us still get giddy thinking of how pissed off people got getting carpet bombed by a B17 on a map much too small for it. And of course the DC mod for BF was epic. Modern equipment on original BF mechanics, nothing since has been nearly as fun.

Ditto. I couldn't imagine them trying to build all the dynamic functionality of the browser based battlelog into the game executable without it getting majorly watered down. It's just more convenient finding and joining servers "out of band", as well as conveniences like finding a better server while you're already in a game.

I think everyone is just used to in-game server browsers, but Battlelog is a high density of information that would be square peg into role hole trying to crowbar it into the game executable.

add me to the group that prefers battlelog.

Desert Combat was the best Battlefield. POE too.

So long as this game allows for competitive play, I will love it.

Somewhat surprising considering the time, money and resources invested in battlelog. I wouldn't be surprised if what is meant by that is to expect the same platform/UI as the previous BF games considering that BL is really just a server browser embedded in an annoying html platform.

Well, this is EA based. I say 50%-50% chance they say HAHA j/k ! we changed our minds.

Desert Combat was the best Battlefield. POE too.

So long as this game allows for competitive play, I will love it.

mmmm, DC and POE. Those were the days.

It all depends. If they're just reskinning BF4 to look like WWI and not play like it they may as well have continued the modern theme. If they're locking vehicles RO style to vehicle only crew members, I hope they make sniper rifles like RO with 3D scopes and limit the number per team. BF3/4 (and I suppose other mainstream shooters) has been gradually copying RO mechanics for a while now anyways. It would limit the number of nooby hallway snipers who have an excellent room clearing gun that has zero sway at 400 meters. Snipers would need patience, skill and to intelligently place themselves to be useful rather than jumping around corners and 1 shot killing you circus style.

Battlelog is so awesome that it places me into a server lobby all by myself for hours in Battlefront. So I invited my buddy to my team and tried again thinking that it has issues with solo players. Then it placed both of us in an empty lobby for 15 mins before he said F this. BF4 was worse in some ways. I would search for servers to play on and always get a list of 100 empty servers or servers in Europe. I live in the USA. No matter what I did it kept finding me European servers. So to get around this I learned to search for every server in the USA and wait forever until the list populated. Even then it would find me 5 servers that had people on it. I know darn well that there were more than 5 servers with people playing BF4 in the USA.

Needless to say I said F Origin and EA. I don't even have Origin installed nowadays. I didn't bother with that cops and robbers game Hardline because I'm through with the Battlelog headaches. I may install Origin to finish Dragon Age. Might... Not sure. I get ticked when I see Battlefront and know I can't find a match.

I thought Battlefront didn't use Battlelog?

Never had a problem seeing only US servers in battlelog. It sounds like you didn't apply the filter.

There is no Battlelog for Battlefront.... And your other problems with it in BF4 were 100% because you didn't set your filters correctly. Bunch of empty servers? Set the filter to not show them. Servers in different countries? Set the filter not to show them.

There is no Battlelog for Battlefront.... And your other problems with it in BF4 were 100% because you didn't set your filters correctly. Bunch of empty servers? Set the filter to not show them. Servers in different countries? Set the filter not to show them.

Ok so set it to USA and block all the empty ones gets me like 5 servers. There are only 5 servers playing BF4? All of the DLC servers are completely vacant.

That's how it was before I said F this.

Ok so set it to USA and block all the empty ones gets me like 5 servers. There are only 5 servers playing BF4? All of the DLC servers are completely vacant.

That's how it was before I said F this.
Again, you had/have your filters messed up. Right now there is about 20+FULL 64/64 servers for me(and obviously many many more not "full" ). Thats only searching Conquest/North America for my filters.

edit- and this is also with the game basically being on its last leg now. There were 100x more when the game was new.

Last edited:
Again, you had/have your filters messed up. Right now there is about 20+FULL 64/64 servers for me(and obviously many many more not "full" ). Thats only searching Conquest/North America for my filters.

I uninstalled it long ago from the frustration. Another thing that irked the heck out of me was that it NEVER gave me servers in NC. The only way to find those was to populate the entire world list. If I played on the NC servers my ping was less than 20ms on the worst days. Battlelog and whatever you want to call that atrocity in Battlefront completely cured me of buying EA games for now. It drove my clan to completely boycott their games. I was going to buy that Unravel game, thought about Battlelog, closed the Origin store.

I understand what you are saying about how it is supposed to work. Trust me I tried as the game was fun as hell. In practice it was just broken for us and not worth the frustration.

64p Multiplayer reveal scheduled for Sunday June 12 (livestream)

On Sunday, June 12, EA will host Battlefield Squads, a 64-player match that’ll include known YouTubers, streamers and other special guests. The show will be livestreamed at 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm UK / 9pm GMT.

Last edited:
New teaser trialer:

New 10 things about the weapons of BF1:

10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE WEAPONS OF BATTLEFIELD 1

They feel fast because they are.
If your weapon of choice is an assault rifle or a powerful LMG, Battlefield 1 is loaded with guns to scratch your trigger finger on. In general, all of the weapons might feel a little faster than you'd expect. On top of adding drag and gravity to the bullets themselves, we increased the bullet velocity. This speeds things up and makes the gunplay feel more authentic.

There are six categories of weapons.
There are your Shotguns (great for blasting enemies from up close), SMGs (made for short range rapid-fire), LMGs (amazing at tearing things apart from medium range), Semi Autos (balanced and powerful), Sidearms (great in a pinch), and Sniper Rifles (which do exactly what you think).

There's a ton of variety.
Each weapon type has multiple different weapons to choose from. The weapons of the era were incredibly varied. In fact, many of the weapons of World War I were the first successful versions of those weapons. The first SMGs and Automatic Rifles were deployed during the era, and you can use them in Battlefield 1.

They are super effective.
Technology hurdled forward during World War I, leading to absolutely incredible, efficient weapons that were damn good at doing what they were designed to do. Whether you're blasting holes in walls and taking down hidden enemies or sniping from across the map, you'll find the gunplay in Battlefield 1 feels modern and fun.

Weapon customization is more focused.
We definitely want to allow you to customize your weapons in Battlefield 1, but we also heard your feedback that we should try to find a way to do this without adding hundreds of additional attachments. That's why Battlefield 1 utilizes pre-set Loadouts for each weapon - you're still able to customize your weapons to make sure they work with your playstyle, but in a more focused way.

Each weapon has up to three Pre-Sets.
Maybe you want a shotgun that packs a little more punch? Or maybe you'd rather one that trades stability for accuracy? The different weapon Pre-Sets should help you out. Some have up to three, giving you different ways to play with the same weapons. You're able to customize them as well, changing the zoom levels, reticles, and more.

There are multiple types of melee weapons.
Getting up-close and personal was an important part of The Great War, and while you have plenty of options if you'd rather keep your distance, you'll also be able to use different types of melee weapons, each with their own attack speeds and damage outputs. Some even double as tools – giving you the ability to cut barbed wire, destroy barricades, or even damage light vehicles.

You'll be able to perform bayonet charges.
Being able to close the gap between you and your enemy is important, especially when you're going for a melee kill. Attaching a Bayonet to the end of your gun helps make that a little easier, letting you charge at your enemies. Make contact, and they're on the fast track to the graveyard.

Frags aren't the only grenade types.
Besides being able to toss traditional fragmentation grenades, you'll also be able to use gas grenades (low damage, but their gas lingers for a long time), incendiary grenades (high damage, but for a limited time), and more. Using the right one at the right time can be the difference between life and death.

The audio fidelity is top notch.
DICE is known for delivering some of the best audio quality in gaming, and we're not going to disappoint with the weapon sounds in Battlefield 1. From the BANG of a shotgun to the CLINK of an empty click, we recorded a huge amount of real-world audio to use in the game. You can even tell when your magazine is running out of ammo now - your firing sound slightly changes when your ammo is low.

One thing that has me worried, the weapon classes. They list 6 classes, Shotguns, SMG, LMG, Sniper, Semi-auto, and Pistols.

Where are the bolt actions? You can't make a WW1 game and then ignore oblt action rifles, that's absurd. All they have to do is make them exactly like snipers, give them high dmg and range, people will use them. Make them right below snipers in terms of dmg output and have them with the second longest range/accuracy behind scoped rifles. So in terms of dmg: Sniper, bolt action, semi-auto, shotguns, lmgs, smgs, pistols. Effective range would be sniper, bolt action, semi auto, lmgs, smgs, pistol, shotgun.

Sounds reasonable to me and would logically give people legit reason to want to us ethem over smgs and mgs.

New teaser trialer:

New 10 things about the weapons of BF1:

One thing that has me worried, the weapon classes. They list 6 classes, Shotguns, SMG, LMG, Sniper, Semi-auto, and Pistols.

Where are the bolt actions? You can't make a WW1 game and then ignore oblt action rifles, that's absurd. All they have to do is make them exactly like snipers, give them high dmg and range, people will use them. Make them right below snipers in terms of dmg output and have them with the second longest range/accuracy behind scoped rifles. So in terms of dmg: Sniper, bolt action, semi-auto, shotguns, lmgs, smgs, pistols. Effective range would be sniper, bolt action, semi auto, lmgs, smgs, pistol, shotgun.

Sounds reasonable to me and would logically give people legit reason to want to us ethem over smgs and mgs.

Wait!! Youre saying that shotguns should deal less damage than sniper rifles? I hope you mean that shotguns are high damage from close range and are useless from mid to long range (average damage per distance). Also many sniper rifles are bolt action, right? isnt the modification are straight pulls?

As expected, EA/DICE is going to make sure there is a metric-fuck-tonne of microtransactions and eye gouging $DLC.....yay!

Microtransactions and map packs confirmed for Battlefield 1 | PC Gamer

Guess I will be sticking to Overwatch for my MP fix for the foreseeable future.

I will wait and see on this one.

Paid DLC I fully expected. That's been the norm since BF2 when they called Euro Force and Armored Fury "Booster Packs".. few maps, vehicles, and new weapons at $15 each.

Microtransactions... they did this in BF4 (battlepacks, weapon boosters) and BC2 (SpecACT weapons), and even Battlefield Heroes. Heroes could get away with it since it was a F2P game.

I will say this. As long as these "microtransactions" do not unlock certain abilities or weapons that can't be had simply by playing the game for a short amount of time, I am totally fine with it. People will be paying $60 for a complete game, not $60 + take $5 from me every week with new shit. Even BF4's weapon boosters did not give anyone anything they couldn't earn simply by playing 20 or so hours of game. If they want to sell XP boosters, camos, insignia's, etc., go right ahead. I doubt I will spend much of anything on them, but I won't criticize those that do.

If they start selling things you cannot unlock elsewhere simply by playing or superior weapons, a shitstorm of epic proportions will rain down upon EA/DICE with so much nerd fury that it will make the BF4 launch instability fiasco look like as civilized as tea time in London.

As long as it is like BF4 it is no big deal. I wish unlocks would have been more sensible in BF4, but it wasn't too bad. That and delete the challenge nonsense that is map/game mode based that are rare. Encountered someone some weeks back trying to unlock the MPX, but they couldn't as they needed to play one of those obscure game modes that died shortly after release. I suppose the unlock packs or whatever they were called are nice for those who bought the game later and found themselves in a situation like I described, but that points out shortcomings in the unlock design.

I will wait and see on this one.

Paid DLC I fully expected. That's been the norm since BF2 when they called Euro Force and Armored Fury "Booster Packs".. few maps, vehicles, and new weapons at $15 each.

Those booster packs represented a paltry 7 maps compared to the 17 in the base game, not to mention the plethora of community mods and maps which were available for free from the community. They were abject failures because the servers were dead within a matter of weeks, DICE has just continued to push further into $DLC territory and has only been able to do so by destroying the modding community.

Microtransactions... they did this in BF4 (battlepacks, weapon boosters) and BC2 (SpecACT weapons), and even Battlefield Heroes. Heroes could get away with it since it was a F2P game.

I will say this. As long as these "microtransactions" do not unlock certain abilities or weapons that can't be had simply by playing the game for a short amount of time, I am totally fine with it. People will be paying $60 for a complete game, not $60 + take $5 from me every week with new shit. Even BF4's weapon boosters did not give anyone anything they couldn't earn simply by playing 20 or so hours of game. If they want to sell XP boosters, camos, insignia's, etc., go right ahead. I doubt I will spend much of anything on them, but I won't criticize those that do.

DICE took the unlocks and microtransactions to new levels of stupid in BF3 and BF4, and quite obviously to create a grinding curve to make paying for shortcuts more attractive. I am beyond over this type of stupid artificial bullshit and took advantage of the numerous leveling servers with BF4 to unlock all the primary weapons and perks. Nothing worse than playing a game that feels more like a job.

If they start selling things you cannot unlock elsewhere simply by playing or superior weapons, a shitstorm of epic proportions will rain down upon EA/DICE with so much nerd fury that it will make the BF4 launch instability fiasco look like as civilized as tea time in London.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took this to next level of stupid, it is EA after all....and the fact that they are already drawing comparisons to FIFA Ultimate Team, from which they are generating $650m a year in microtransactions, probably gives a hint of what to expect.

Don't fall into the hype...just did a trial run of sw battle front and it's seriously lacking in game play dept, graphics are amazing but I'd rather game play over graphics...

Don't fall into the hype...just did a trial run of sw battle front and it's seriously lacking in game play dept, graphics are amazing but I'd rather game play over graphics...

One's got nothing to do with the other. Battlefront is not a Battlefield title and had different design goals. This has already been covered.

Last edited:
I don't understand people's obsession with unlocks and upgrades. Just give me the characters/classes, tell me which weapons are available to each, let me decide which I want to use, and then play. Simplify it. I shouldn't have to sit there and debate on which scope I want or whether I want a grip or bipod or whatever.

Everyone bitches about the lack of customization in Battlefront. They give you different weapons you can choose; pick one and go shoot some people.

Don't even get me started on the people who complain about people who use shotguns. I don't get that either. Every time I play BF4 there's multiple people complaining about someone getting kills with a shotgun. Why? It's a legit weapon in the game. Why is someone getting called a noob for getting kills with it? I don't use it, but I don't get the hate.

Back