Atomic Heart

Not a bad demo at all. Finaly getting caught up on this thread now that I've played it. Had alot of hype and then sorta fizzled here after game release. Would like to see RT as well. Also as others pointed out, the voice actor of your player, pretty bad. Would love to have a Russian accented person in this role.

Will purchase, but not at the list price.
I'm still enjoying it. Currently rotating between a few games (and the System Shock remake certainly didn't help matters!) but I really like the art design and robotic enemies. It's a nice change and I can't remember the last FPS I played where most enemies were mechanical...Hard Reset maybe? And that was a banger, too.

Combat is solid, the upgrade system is rewarding as is usually the case, and it's a visual treat despite the current lack of ray tracing. I found that once you get into the flow of the game, the character voicing is less grating. A minor knock IMO. Well worth picking up on sale if you liked Bioshock and similar games.

Patch 1.8.0.0 adds New Game+ mode, available now.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/668580/announcements/detail/3646274937582977057

Added New Game+ Mode

In this most difficult game mode yet, enemies have new abilities, such as immunity to certain attacks of the player or new attack effects against the player. Also, enemies have an additional color aura, and each color indicates the presence of a certain ability, which could be:
  • Master of the Elements
    Effect: Immunity to glove abilities and cartridge guns
    Affected enemies: VOV-A6 Lab Tech, Mutant, ARU-31/6 Rotorobot
    Aura color: Purple
  • Daredevil
    Effect: Attacks and movements are accelerated
    Affected enemies: VOV-A6 Lab Tech, ARU-31/6 Rotorobot, MFU-68 Laborer, RAF-9 Engineer (Rafik)
    Aura color: Red
  • Body armor
    Effect: Immunity to firearms
    Affected enemies: LUC-1 Owl, GMC-69 Vatrushka, DOC, MFU-68/CP Duck
    Aura color: Yellow
  • Athlete
    Effect: All enemy attacks force you to the ground
    Affected enemies: VOV-A6 Lab Tech, Mutant, MFU-68 Laborer, RAF-9 Engineer (Rafik)
    Aura color: Green
  • Kamikaze
    Effect: The enemy explodes upon approaching you
    Affected enemies: VOV-A6 Lab Tech, Mutant, ARU-31/6 Rotorobot, MFU-68 Laborer
    Aura color: Orange
  • Lightning rod
    Effect: Enemy attacks drain your energy
    Affected enemies: VOV-A6 Lab Tech, Mutant, MFU-68 Laborer, RAF-9 Engineer (Rafik)
    Aura color: Turquoise
  • Translocator
    Effect: When approaching you, the enemy abruptly covers the distance
    Affected enemies: VOV-A6 Lab Tech, Mutant, MFU-68 Laborer
    Aura color: Blue
First DLC Annihilation Instincts releases August 2.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/668580/view/3646274937582195710

An explosive DLC crafted to bring out your Annihilation Instincts
  • Continue the story in the Annihilation Instinct DLC and learn what happened to this dystopian world after the climax of Atomic Heart. Prepare to embark on a journey through the new mind-bending Mendeleev Complex and its surrounding swamps, and discover the truth about NORA as Major P-3 is pulled back into Facility 3826.
  • Survive vicious, shape-shifting new enemies and take them down using two cunning new weapons - ranged one the Secateur and melee one the Klusha - as well as your glove’s new Techno-Stasis ability, allowing you to manipulate time itself.
  • Meet a new enigmatic character, as well as returning ones in surprising circumstances and dive deep into the AI’s insanity to curb its Annihilation Instinct.
New Game+ mode designed to test skills and enhance experience
For more player happiness, the New Game+ mode has now been made available along with the latest update. In the most difficult game mode yet, you will need all of your previously unlocked skills and arsenal to deal with the strongest enemies Atomic Heart has ever unleashed, thanks to their new specific resistances and attack effects, which will be reflected in the different colors of the enemies’ aura.

maybe by the time all the story DLC is released they will release an Ultimate Edition with ray-tracing support

Patch 1.8.0.0 adds New Game+ mode, available now.

An explosive DLC crafted to bring out your Annihilation Instincts

some nice improvements, fixes and performance updates with each new patch but...still no RT...maybe the GOTY edition? :vamp: ...I was thinking about picking it up during the upcoming Steam Summer sale but it looks like I'll continue to wait...

some nice improvements, fixes and performance updates with each new patch but...still no RT...maybe the GOTY edition? :vamp: ...I was thinking about picking it up during the upcoming Steam Summer sale but it looks like I'll continue to wait...
Nothing wrong with waiting. I highly encourage it most of the time. But the reason you're giving? Think about it. You're waiting on RT for an unreal engine 4 title... If RT was going to be awesome and make a difference in this game, it would've shipped with it or at least by now. In the next 6-9 months you may get a battlefield V type RT patch.

It took more than a year for ray tracing to be added to Doom Eternal, only for it to be lackluster.

Nothing wrong with waiting. I highly encourage it most of the time. But the reason you're giving? Think about it. You're waiting on RT for an unreal engine 4 title... If RT was going to be awesome and make a difference in this game, it would've shipped with it or at least by now. In the next 6-9 months you may get a battlefield V type RT patch.

I think the reason RT was removed at the last minute was because the performance hit was huge...the extra time gives them more time to optimize the overall game...the game already looks pretty impressive minus RT so adding that will most likely tank performance

I think the reason RT was removed at the last minute was because the performance hit was huge...the extra time gives them more time to optimize the overall game...the game already looks pretty impressive minus RT so adding that will most likely tank performance
It is on UE4. And from my understanding, it does tend to be abit of a nightmare to get performing really well on that engine. Part of the reason UE5 overhauled it's RT system.

It took more than a year for ray tracing to be added to Doom Eternal, only for it to be lackluster.

If it is being slapped on a year or so later it will be underwhelming. If it was such a great feature it would have been in day one. It will probably be some half baked implementation that is not really that noticeable in normal gameplay, but they had to do something because they had advertised it prior to release.

It is on UE4. And from my understanding, it does tend to be abit of a nightmare to get performing really well on that engine. Part of the reason UE5 overhauled it's RT system.

I don't mind waiting for the RT patch but Atomic Heart was an RT showcase game that Nvidia and Mundfish kept showing off prior to launch...it's like if Cyberpunk removed RT right before launch...some games are marketed together with RT

plenty of recent games have launched with no RT and was added in a few months later- Elden Ring, Doom Eternal, Plague Tale: Requiem, Redfall is supposed to get RT etc...but none of those games were specifically marketed with RT as a main feature...to just remove RT at the last minute with no notice and not give an update going on 4+ months now is crazy...

I don't mind waiting for the RT patch but Atomic Heart was an RT showcase game that Nvidia and Mundfish kept showing off prior to launch...it's like if Cyberpunk removed RT right before launch...some games are marketed together with RT

plenty of recent games have launched with no RT and was added in a few months later- Elden Ring, Doom Eternal, Plague Tale: Requiem, Redfall is supposed to get RT etc...but none of those games were specifically marketed with RT as a main feature...to just remove RT at the last minute with no notice and not give an update going on 4+ months now is crazy...

Yup! It really felt like a bait n' switch for Atomic Heart because of that. They even released a nVidia only tech demo to show off the RT.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-atomic-heart-technology-demo.html

RT would be nice but at this point you've either purchased the title or you're waiting on it to hit a certain price point. RT isn't going to make or break anything and if it does drop, I wouldn't expect anything game-changing (pardon the pun).

Nothing wrong with waiting on the game to get cheaper / a better value but RT isn't going to be transformative or add much to the overall score. If it drops, great, but as with most games I'd say most people truly interested in the setting etc. have already purchased and most others are waiting for it to hit what they've deemed to be an acceptable price.

RT would be nice but at this point you've either purchased the title or you're waiting on it to hit a certain price point. RT isn't going to make or break anything and if it does drop, I wouldn't expect anything game-changing (pardon the pun).

Nothing wrong with waiting on the game to get cheaper / a better value but RT isn't going to be transformative or add much to the overall score. If it drops, great, but as with most games I'd say most people truly interested in the setting etc. have already purchased and most others are waiting for it to hit what they've deemed to be an acceptable price.
Some of us want the best version possible, and that is what I'm waiting for, not price. If they don't add in the promised raytracing, it's their money to lose as I but it when it's hit the bargain bin by the time they confirm they're walking it back.

Some of us want the best version possible, and that is what I'm waiting for,not price.

same here...Atomic Heart was one of my most anticipated titles of the year...was planning on getting it at launch if it didn't have any major performance issues...but then they pulled a last minute bait and switch and removed RT...so now I will wait for RT to be added...one of the secondary benefits is that the price will also be dropping as the months pass...so I will get RT, story DLC plus a cheaper game in the long run...I have no problem waiting

Even bigger disappointment than lack of RT is complete lack of HDR implementation (including forced through windows) - has there been any workaround for this?

every time I see this thread bumped I'm hoping that they finally enabled ray-tracing...the wait continues...
I think the devs finally mentioned somewhere they are now working on it.

For a time, there was an urban legend going around that they were paid off by the consoles to not include RT so that it doesn’t look better than the consoles.

I think the devs finally mentioned somewhere they are now working on it.

For a time, there was an urban legend going around that they were paid off by the consoles to not include RT so that it doesn’t look better than the consoles.

maybe by the time all 4 DLC's are released they will finally enable RT support on PC...at this point pretty much every game looks better on PC than consoles even without RT

4 DLC's? I'd rather have a full-on sequel at that point. I'm not about to go back to a game I've already played through 4 separate times. AH was pretty good, but not that good. Maybe the up-front $ they got for putting it on Gamepass wasn't cutting the mustard.

I would like this game but it looks like Port Royale demo.
Doubt.gif
4 DLC's? I'd rather have a full-on sequel at that point. I'm not about to go back to a game I've already played through 4 separate times. AH was pretty good, but not that good. Maybe the up-front $ they got for putting it on Gamepass wasn't cutting the mustard.
Good enough to play through 4 times? How many times do you replay really good games, lol.

I mostly agree though; feels like RT might be added way too late for most people to care. The holdouts will, but I'm not sure it'll warrant another playthrough just for that. Not immediately, anyway. I normally don't replay games until I've had a good break from them. So many games have those moments where you're like "Wow, that's cool" and I find they're much more enjoyable to experience again after I've kinda forgotten about them.

I DO hope the RT is impressive as hell though, especially with how long it's taken them. If it's lackluster I'm going to LOL given the delays (though would anyone really be that shocked?) but honestly I'd like nothing more than for it to be a showcase title for RT. Not because I think -this- game needs it necessarily as it already looks quite good, but the RT train needs to keep on rolling and giving us more value out of these obscenely priced GPUs.

This is still on my list to try, but I will likely wait for it to hit sub $20 or just grab game pass for a month.

Good enough to play through 4 times? How many times do you replay really good games, lol.

Terrible wording on my part. I played through it once. If they keep cranking out DLC (4 of 'em supposedly?), they're expecting people to keep going back to it. Not gonna happen for me. Most of the time I can't even remember the controls or the story for a game I really like. If it's a so-so game I'll never bother.

Terrible wording on my part. I played through it once. If they keep cranking out DLC (4 of 'em supposedly?), they're expecting people to keep going back to it. Not gonna happen for me. Most of the time I can't even remember the controls or the story for a game I really like. If it's a so-so game I'll never bother.

I'm similar and that is why I don't like long DLC release time frames but that seems to be the norm these days. DLC will span a year or more.

Typically in these cases I just wait until all of the DLC is released and play it together. This DLC seems to be long, 6 hours. I assume the other DLCs will probably be around 10-12 hours long. Which isn't that bad, around the length of a shorter game. That is enough time for me to become reacquainted with the story and gameplay. If I play them one by one, by the time I relearn to play the DLC will be mostly over in most cases.

coming back to this after sitting on it. Is there a way to turn off cameras and the little flying robot fixer things?

Bit different, can't say it grabs me as much. I know there was a level in the main game like that but it was short. Will likely wait until all DLC is out anyways.

by the time the ray tracing patch is released the game should be under $25 (plus most of the DLC will have been released)

They're really spacing out these DLCs. Seems like 6 months apart. IMO not a good idea to spread out DLC so much for a story based game. By the time I remember how to play, each DLC is over. So I'll need to wait until all the DLC is out together... and that might be a while if DLC3/4 are also 6 months apart. I might move onto newer games at that point.

Maybe I'll buy this once they implement RT and have a complete "GOTY" edition for 20 bucks.

Back