Atomic Heart

This game looks incredible. I was thinking it was abandonware/vaporware or some sort of scam, but it seems like a legit crazy game. Definitely on my watch list.

bizzmeister

[H]ard|Gawd
Been waiting for a long time now. Can't wait, going to be epic for sure.

Totally reminds me of bioshock, which i loved. All of them.

Reactions: J3RK
like this

MavericK

Zero Cool
Conceptually it looks cool...gameplay-wise, that combat looks fucking annoying. Also, the pick-up animations are WAY too long.

J3RK

[H]ardForum Junkie
I don't think it looks bad. The combat just looks different than your typical game. The enemies have a bit more fight in them, so it's a slower progression than just popping a bullet in them and moving on. I'd have to play it to be sure about the feel, but I'd say it looks different rather than bad. Time will tell I suppose. As far as object pickup, yeah, it looks like they tried to model the entire experience of picking an object up off the ground. Quake this is not. :D Once again though, the whole pacing of this game seems a lot more deliberate, so it may be just fine.

I've read various things about them struggling a bit to get the game finished. I also noticed the "Support Mundfish by preordering" thing at the end of the video. The game certainly has my interest, but I'd like to see a semi-solid release time-frame before I'd pre-order it. Something I don't think we're going to get. The thought of supporting devs that have different and interesting ideas though like this, is also appealing, I just don't want to support them with a preorder, and then have the game get cancelled.

MavericK

Zero Cool
I know it's not Quake, but it reminds me of the newer Far Cry games where every time you wanted to search a dude it has to do this annoying animation. Sort of like in RDR2 as well. After about half a dozen times it just becomes irritating.

As for the combat, the issue to me is that it looks like they want to have some sort of melee combat but as far as I can tell, there is no block or dodge - you just stand there getting pummeled and trying to precisely time a hit where the enemy is not just unrelentingly pounding you. To me it feels like that would get frustrating really fast.

And sure, this is all pre-alpha footage, but other than the general atmosphere and the cool enemy designs, I didn't see much that made me think "WOW, I really want to play this."

J3RK

[H]ardForum Junkie
Valid points. Yeah, like I said, to really know how it feels I'd need to play it. I agree that the pick-ups might get a little old after a while. I'll reserve judgment on the melee combat until I see more or play it, but while I don't think it looks bad, I do agree that there should be more to it if it's a bigger part of the game. On the other hand, wrenches, crowbars, pipes, and other such melee weapons in this type of game have always been kind of limited (see System Shocks etc.) That doesn't mean they shouldn't be better now, just that classically they've never been that great unless they were in an Arkane game. They seem to know how to do that sort of thing in first person better than most.

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Oh wow- I had totally forgotten about this. Thank you and I'll watch later!

OK, that looks pretty cool (the 10 min vid). I hope it gets some decent voice work for the translations or a good way for non-Russian speakers to understand. And $40 for preorder isn't terrible but I'm on the review first bandwagon.

Last edited:
like this

polonyc2

[H]ard as it Gets
looks pretty cool...a mashup of Nier meets Bioshock in a Soviet landscape

like this