Atomic Heart

Glad I tried this on Game Pass instead of shelling out $60 for it. It's just too frustrating for me to enjoy it. Half the time my jumps from ledges don't work and a couple times I got stuck in areas and literally couldn't move! I had to exit the game and reload. The last time it obliterated about 30 minutes of work and I just had enough and wasn't going back and doing it all over again!

I'm really enjoying this game. I went into it expecting nothing, but it's fairly unique and enjoyable. The lack of raytracing features at release isn't a big deal in my opinion. It generally already looks and runs fantastic for a UE4 game. One of the very few UE4 titles i've ever played with no stuttering.

I'm really enjoying this game. I went into it expecting nothing, but it's fairly unique and enjoyable. The lack of raytracing features at release isn't a big deal in my opinion. It generally already looks and runs fantastic for a UE4 game. One of the very few UE4 titles i've ever played with no stuttering.
I ended up getting the Premium Edition for $80 (instead of $100) via Fanatical, and I agree. I'm only 2-3h into the campaign, but the game runs extremely well (currently playing on my 6700K/3090 rig, haven't even installed it on my new 12700K/4090 machine I built this week) and I am really enjoying it. Complaints about the voice acting are a bit overblown, IMO. Sure, our hero comes off sounding more like Jack Carver from Far Cry than anything else (which we all ate up like candy 20 years ago), but I can easily forgive it considering everything else so far.

I've been playing it here and there and I like it, too. There are some quirks to it (the controls on a gamepad are wonky as hell), but it's an enjoyable game. The time they spent designing the world is noteworthy by itself. It definitely has a living, breathing world vibe to it.

I think this is just more proof that the developers made the decision to not include RT at launch at the very last minute...

PSA: the latest 531.18 drivers are buggy and I would not use them

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-acknowledges-10-cpu-usage-driver-bug-after-exiting-games

The issue with those drivers is a weird telemetry DLL that's going ham behind the scenes.
You can fix it right now by doing this (copy/pasted from Reddit/Guru3D)

The culprit appears to be 'Nvidia Game Session Telemetry Plugin version 531.18 (NvGSTPlugin.dll)' which is loaded by the Nvidia Display Container service.
Blocking/removing that DLL (_NvGSTPlugin.dll) permanently resolves the issue if the stop then restart method isn't helping.
EDIT: To remove the Telemetry plugin, with administrator privileges delete OR move the _NvGSTPlugin.dll found in the Nvidia Driver folder after stopping NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem service

The issue with those drivers is a weird telemetry DLL that's going ham behind the scenes.
You can fix it right now by doing this (copy/pasted from Reddit/Guru3D)

The culprit appears to be 'Nvidia Game Session Telemetry Plugin version 531.18 (NvGSTPlugin.dll)' which is loaded by the Nvidia Display Container service.
Blocking/removing that DLL (_NvGSTPlugin.dll) permanently resolves the issue if the stop then restart method isn't helping.
EDIT: To remove the Telemetry plugin, with administrator privileges delete OR move the _NvGSTPlugin.dll found in the Nvidia Driver folder after stopping NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem service

instead of messing with dll files I think I'd rather wait for an official Nvidia hotfix (I'm still using the older 528.24 driver)

Last edited:
After seemingly spending days in the first underground bunker, I'm finally outdoors again...and performance definitely took a bit of a hit. I assume it's because there is so much stuff happening and it's all dynamic. Luckily turning DLSS on got things back to normal. As I progress further, I feel like the game might be closer to Prey (the new one) than Bioshock. That's not necessarily a bad thing, too.

Big patch today:

Patch 1.3.4.0 for the Atomic Heart is rolled out and now available on all platforms. See the list of changes for this update below:

FOV settings added
Ultrawide screen fixes (FOV adapted)
Fixed an issue with a default voiceover being set to English after launching the game for the first time

VISUAL AND AUDIO
Improved VFX for Vov/a6 death in frozen state
Add sounds for jumping in Limbo
Fixed an issue with an incorrect displaying of PM in the NORA Repair Vendor with installed cartridge
Fixed some environment collisions before the final boss fight
Fixed an issue with an incorrect flickering lighting at the bottom of the screen when moving around the Chelomey location
Fixed an issue with P-3 body flickering in the Sechenov Center cutscene
Fixed an issue with cartoons not playing sometimes
Fixed an issue with an incorrect loading of the first location in the VDNH
Fixed an issue with an incorrect loading of the boiler room after loading
Fixed an issue with culling of plant in the Pesticide location
Fixed an issue with the lighting in a hotel in the Village
Added aiming sounds for MP "Revolver-type bolt frame" upgrade
Fixed an issue with a sound in an elevator in the VDNH
Fixed an issue with an environment culling in the Maya PlisetskayaTheater
Fixed an issue with a sound of the Testing Ground (POLYGON 8) exit door
Fixed an issue with an A-pose of mutant corpses
Fixed an issue with a sound in an elevator in the Algae Workshop of the Vavilov Сomplex
Fixed an issue with an incorrect loading of the last puzzle room in the Magnetic Shock Absorption Zone

QUESTS
Improved quest markers in the VDNH
Fixed an issue with Tereshkova not going further if you stand close to the gate
Fixed an issue with an incorrect Plych spawn in the Pavlov Complex morgue
Fixed an issue with an elevator in the Testing Ground (POLYGON 10)
Fixed an issue with a Candle in the Testing Ground (POLYGON 10)
Fixed an issue with an incorrect Rotorobot spawn in the VDNH
Fixed an issue with missing objects
Fixed an issue with a save in the Vavilov Complex tunnels
Fixed an issue with a deadlock when hitting the Plyusch in the Maya Plisetskaya Theater with a Swede's circle attack
Fixed an issue with getting stuck in the Testing Ground (POLYGON 1)
Fixed an issue with an incorrect quest item picking while having a huge amount of resources
Fixed an issue with a quest item turning into the MARC (“Fat Boy”) ammo
Fixed an issue with a start of the Limbo location
Fixed an issue with a crash when loading autosave in the Algae Workshop
Fixed an issue with a сrash after death from the Natasha’s missile
Fixed an issue with the "She sells mustache on a seashore" quest updating
Fixed an issue with the Black Vova's health bar after an autosave
Fixed an issue with an elevator doors in the Seed Bank of the Vavilov Complex
Fixed an issue with a door in the Testing Ground (POLYGON 11)
Fixed an issue with not being able to re-enter after the exit through the main entrance to VDNH right before the door closes
Fixed an issue with a door not opening at the start of the Limbo in the Pavlov Complex
Fixed an issue with doors not opening after killing the Plyusch and all the mobs in the Testing Ground (POLYGON 9)
Fixed an issue when player is loaded through an autosave on the level border on the transition from an entrance to tunnels in the Vavilov Complex
Fixed an issue when part of the Sechenov's Office area in the Chelomey is not loading when going up in an elevator
Fixed an issue when part of the Ceremonial Ramp area in the VDNH isn't loading
Fixed an issue when it’s impossible to interact with the Candle in the boiler room of the Thermarium if it’s pushed behind the pipe support

GAMEPLAY / OPEN WORLD
Fixed an issue with the Windbender Power Generators and Dandelion CCTV System being not repaired by the Pchelas
Fixed an issue with a missing KS-23 receipt
Fixed an issue with the P.E.A.R. terminal not responding to interaction in a locked room in the VDNH
Fixed an issue when it’s impossible to open map in the open world
Fixed an issue when you can not get out of the car in some cases
Fixed collisions in many places to prevent being stuck in an environment
Fixed an issue with an inaccessible Chirper in the Pesticide location of the Vavilov Complex
Fixed an issue with consumable items in the weapon selection wheel
Fixed an issue with displaying of the uninstalled PM upgrades
Fixed an issue with displaying of the uninstalled MARC (“Fat Boy”) upgrades
Fixed an issue with a loot disappearing after loading the save
Fixed an issue when pieces of dead frozen enemies become lootable
Fixed an issue with missing map objects in the Friendship of Peoples Park in the VDNH
Fixed an issue with falling down under the map when jumping onto the reflector at the end of the Magnetic Shock Absorption Zone

ACHIEVEMENTS
Fixed an issue with an achievement progress saving
Fixed an issue with the progress of achievements after restarting the game
Fixed an issue with unlocking the "Scanner" achievement
Fixed an issue with unlocking the "Atomic Heart" achievement
Fixed an issue with unlocking the "Lord of War" achievement
Fixed an issue with finding/crafting MP not forwarding the "Lord of War" achievement
Fixed an issue with the progress of the "Hothead" achievement
Fixed an issue with unlocking the "Clean-up" achievement

UI
Fixed an issue with the NORA Repair Vendor UI
NORA Repair Vendor storage UI improvements for the 16:10 and 21:9 ratio monitors
Improved HUD notifications for sending items to the storage
Improved skill activation HUD
Fixed an issue with a stuck display of the received loot

STABILITY
Improved performance in some areas
Improved stability - fixed some rare crashes

PC-ONLY
Mouse acceleration disabled
Fixed an issue with a soft lock when pressing space many times during the use of the NORA Repair Vendor

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SOLVING SOME ISSUES

If you install third-party software to modify the Atomic Heart game client on a PC, it may break your game. In the event of a similar situation, to solve it, you should uninstall this software and reinstall the game.
If you've encountered issues on Steam, the first thing to do is check the integrity of the game files as described here, as it may solve the issues: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

Also, here’s a list of main updates that along with the others will become available with the next upcoming patches:
UI and subtitles size settings
Steam Deck support
Gamepad Input remapping

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we are following it very closely and will share the news in a timely manner!

Performance is pretty dreadful in the Forester Village. There are so many robots and cameras and lasers and whatever that the game can't keep up with everything. I'm ready to get out of this area.

Big patch today:

Patch 1.3.4.0 for the Atomic Heart is rolled out and now available on all platforms. See the list of changes for this update below:

when are they going to add RT support?...that's the only patch that matters...the game runs and looks great as is but RT will take it to another level

I don't mind waiting. But I may just give this ago. TLOU, this, RE4 and Jedi Survivor are what I am looking forward to. Was hoping to have a new GPU to run this with ray tracing but might just play it as is since both of those seem to be a ways off.

I don't mind waiting. But I may just give this ago. TLOU, this, RE4 and Jedi Survivor are what I am looking forward to. Was hoping to have a new GPU to run this with ray tracing but might just play it as is since both of those seem to be a ways off.

if you don't currently have an RT capable GPU then you should just play it now (especially since they added an FOV slider with the latest patch)...the game is in pretty good shape in terms of performance especially compared to most other titles released in the past 6 months

I just renewed my Game Pass and started this. First thing I noticed is a weird FOV shift every time you walk forward. Maybe from upping the FOV?

Anyway, seems interesting so far, feels like it wants to be like Half-Life and Bioshock.

I just renewed my Game Pass and started this. First thing I noticed is a weird FOV shift every time you walk forward. Maybe from upping the FOV?

Anyway, seems interesting so far, feels like it wants to be like Half-Life and Bioshock.

That just seems to be the way the game works. There isn't a run button, so your character begins to sprint whenever you hold forward for about 1/2 second. It's a little like the motion blur other games have when you run. It doesn't do that when you press in any other directions, so it's a little weird. I've gotten used to it, but at first it threw me off. There's no default way to disable it, but maybe you can by editing the ini files? It didn't bother me enough to dig around.

That just seems to be the way the game works. There isn't a run button, so your character begins to sprint whenever you hold forward for about 1/2 second. It's a little like the motion blur other games have when you run. It doesn't do that when you press in any other directions, so it's a little weird. I've gotten used to it, but at first it threw me off. There's no default way to disable it, but maybe you can by editing the ini files? It didn't bother me enough to dig around.
Yeah, it threw me off a bit at first but I don't think it will be a problem long-term, it's just a weird quirk.

Okay, the checkpoints in this game kinda blow. Considering how easy it is to die it's pretty irritating.

For what it's worth, the game gets much easier as you move forward. Exponentially so. I haven't died in forever and everywhere I go there are saw robots, flying drones, and cameras everywhere.
The game never really tells you much about the abilities you can use, but there's a whole section for gaining more health, reducing damage, getting a bigger backpack, getting health back after kills, etc. Those things can make you borderline unkillable. I just run around swinging my melee weapons and keep getting my health back after kills.
For all the folks who hate tutorials and whatnot, I find that this game doesn't really tell you much about anything - you just have figure stuff out. For the longest time I had no clue what those squares in the lower right were, and I don't think the game ever actually told me.

The melee combat just seems stupid in the early game, like you can't block or really avoid getting hit most of the time, so sometimes you just get gangbanged by robots.

You do get a lot of healing items but that doesn't help when they kill you in a matter of seconds.

The melee combat just seems stupid in the early game, like you can't block or really avoid getting hit most of the time, so sometimes you just get gangbanged by robots.

You do get a lot of healing items but that doesn't help when they kill you in a matter of seconds.

Yeah, early on I think I mostly used the shotgun. I switched to a more melee based style once I found the blueprints for the Pashtet, which looks a big ass butcher knife. It's the quickest melee weapon, but it hits hard once you level it up. Even though there's an alt-fire upgrade for it that makes it a distance weapon, I like using it's normal charge-up attack.
There's an ability you can unlock that makes you completely invincible when dodging that pairs nicely with that approach. Especially if you also unlock the double-dash.

Yeah, early on I think I mostly used the shotgun. I switched to a more melee based style once I found the blueprints for the Pashtet, which looks a big ass butcher knife. It's the quickest melee weapon, but it hits hard once you level it up. Even though there's an alt-fire upgrade for it that makes it a distance weapon, I like using it's normal charge-up attack.
There's an ability you can unlock that makes you completely invincible when dodging that pairs nicely with that approach. Especially if you also unlock the double-dash.
Yes, I did just get the double dash. I can see how eventually you'd be way stronger.

Yes, I did just get the double dash. I can see how eventually you'd be way stronger.

You'll find that you start to get a ton more stuff for searching chests + enemies. The early sections of the game overwhelm you with desks, shelves, etc. that barely contain anything but you need everything. It won't be long before you barely see anything searchable, yet they're all large trunks stuffed to the brim. The game will tell you as much later, but you can respec at will, too. If you think you wasted supplies, you didn't.

You guys playing with kb/mouse or controller? I tried kb/mouse and I'm not digging it. Imma try controller tonight.

I rock a controller for basically everything and haven't really had too much issue here, either. There are auto-aim functions if you want/need. The button config is a little wonky, though. You end up using the right bumper for way too much (it controls your glove) and some of the other buttons (like X, Y, and the left bumper) only get used on occasion. They also overlap aiming and alt-fire, which is odd. Nothing terrible, but I'd like to be able to remap a few of my buttons, which you currently can't do.

The game really does give "Prey-but-not-as-good" vibes. Still enjoying it enough but it's a bit janky, especially the combat, just doesn't feel quite tight enough.

I've encountered plenty of jank. Especially with getting stuck on or in the environment after jumping. Lots of partially busted missions that required me to reload much earlier saves, too. It's a good game at the heart of things, but it has issues like an early Bethesda game.

I think I'm pretty close to the end of things, and I'd like to commend them on the length of the game. They actually allow you to lengthen or shorten the game as you see fit. There are a dozen "testing complex" levels that you can optionally unlock and complete. If you do them all, it actually makes the game pretty long. Yet, you don't have to. The game doesn't really push you to try, either. They unlock upgrades for your weapons, but you can make everything plenty powerful without. Most of them are situated fairly close to major plot locations, so they're a fun distraction. Plus, my favorite weapon (the Pashtet) needed unlocks from a bunch of 'em.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with Atomic Heart. It's a little jank and the story feels like it's trying to be deeper than it actually is, but it's a pretty good game. For Gamepass subscribers I'd even call it a must-play.

I tried this game 3 separate times, each time getting stuck on or in the geometry. I had to uninstall. I might give it a another go in the future, but not in this state.

I ended up winning the game yesterday. The plot for the game is strange, because IMO it's pretty damn obvious what's going on the entire game. They offer some explanations for things, but I found the last sections to be a little long-winded and tedious. Oddly, I don't think there were any achievements at all for winning the game. There are 2 endings and you don't get anything for either of them as far as I can tell.

New patch.
https://forums.focus-entmt.com/topic/64621/patch-1-4-0-0-list-of-changes

MAIN

● HUD, subtitle size settings
120Hz mode (PS5, Xbox Series X|S)
(mode will work with compatible devices that are supported by consoles (TV or monitor and HDMI 2.1 cable) only; the presence of 120Hz does not guarantee the operation of the mode)
● Fixed an issue with unlocking achievements
(note the additional nuances in the recommendations section)
● Fixed an issue with auto-detection of voice-over language

VISUALS AND AUDIO

● Improved display of shadows
● Fixed an issue with cartoons being absent in save rooms
● Removed binding of funiculars to FPS in the Vavilov Complex tunnels
● Updated shaders
● In certain places, the white image on TVs has been changed to static
● Fixed an issue with art subtitles—translation will now be displayed
● Updated first-person animations and fixed issues with the character's body showing when playing with high FOV

QUESTS

● Fixed the freeze during the Morning Express quest
● Icarus in the VDNH now rises all the way when loading a save where it was stuck
● Fixed an issue with saving the puzzle with rays
● Fixed an issue with subtitle display (freezing)

GAMEPLAY / OPEN WORLD

● Added ability to loot corpses lying in the water
● Improved climbing in "corners"
● Added the ability to launch funiculars at the entrance to the Vavilov Complex tunnels after going through them
● Fixed an issue with getting stuck in collisions in some places
● Fixed several issues with the Mass Telekinesis ability
● Optimization and fixes for corpses of mobs
● Fixed an issue with health regeneration when loading a save

STABILITY

● Improved optimization (LTO and others)

PC ONLY

● Fixed DLC content visualization on the character in the main menu

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SOLVING SOME ISSUES

● We cannot guarantee or support the game if the Atomic Heart game client has been modified by any third-party software. If this happens, you should uninstall this software and install the game again.
● If you encounter issues on Steam, first check the integrity of the game files as described here. This may solve the issues: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB
● Updating the driver to the latest version may improve performance (NVIDIA only)
● The problem with unlocking achievements on a platform that requires an internet connection for this process;
There may be some delay in unlocking achievements entirely on savegames before or during the Day 1 patch, there may there may be some issues, which can be solved as follows:
  • a) In case the achievements were not unlocked, although their progress was achieved, it will be necessary to re-execute all the conditions by starting a new game;
  • b) In the rare case where all achievements have been obtained, but for obtaining them all has not been unlocked achievement “The Motherland Does Not Forget its Heroes”, the problem can be solved simply by starting a new game, at the launch of which will occur recalculation data, which will entail the unlocking of an achievement.

Hmm, never heard of this game until today. Demo out, might as well give it a whirl.

Going in 100% blind here.

What a great reveal, literately 13 seconds of in game renders. And an excellent release date of "summer". I know they don't want to show much and promise a date only to miss it, but they should not have even bothered with that "reveal".

Not a bad demo at all. Finaly getting caught up on this thread now that I've played it. Had alot of hype and then sorta fizzled here after game release. Would like to see RT as well. Also as others pointed out, the voice actor of your player, pretty bad. Would love to have a Russian accented person in this role.

Will purchase, but not at the list price.

Back