Asus P8P67-I Sandy Bridge Mini ITX

Weak. They swapped out 7.1 audio for Wifi and Bluetooth. Its better to use USB wifi/bluetooth than USB 5.1 audio.

I think most people using this for a HTPC are using HDMI for the audio anyways....it does have more bandwidth than toslink or coax digital anyways

Not sure if this is off topic, but will throw it in. ASRock is releasing a Sandy Bridge ITX board that uses full DIMMs. Looks like my build will hold off till the end of Jan. Between the new boards and GPU releases coming out then it should be awesome.
http://img121.imageshack.us/i/asrockh67mitxhto01.jpg/

God I love seeing multiple ITX boards show there faces before the platform is even released.

God I love seeing multiple ITX boards show there faces before the platform is even released.

My solution is I am ordering my case and PSU now, I have a 2.5 HDD and OD so I will trial fit and organize then pull trigger on mobo and CPU in Jan. Good time to build small.

I've been loving my current ITX build, but I would still like to upgrade to Sandy Bridge. Awesome to see such great ITX support (for being so early on!)

I'm feeling this board and an HD6850... lol.

Awesome, isn't it?:D With C2D most manufactures had no clue what ITX was, then with the i-series some boards started appearing, but pretty late in the cycle. MITX is first string now!

I found no less than four different ITX boards being presented. Its absolutely awesome. I keep looking everyday to see if someone else is making one. More offerings-Lower price!

Which four are those?

I have seen pictures of a few but Im not getting my hopes up untill I se some real info.

Ok, so far I have found that Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock and ECS are all making mini ITX boards. At least 2 of them are using full size DIMMs. Asus is using SO DIMMS and havent found a pic of the Gigabyte, only statements saying they are building one. Theres another thread for the Asus, so here's what I found on ASRock and ECS

http://www.hypergearmag.com/events/e...w - Tablet

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/h...therboard-line

This is awesome, I just wish there was a better selection of mITX cases out there, they all seem more or less the same right now.

This is awesome, I just wish there was a better selection of mITX cases out there, they all seem more or less the same right now.

& that seems to be more or less an uneducated response.. weather it be tower, desktop or cube mITX has it covered.

& that seems to be more or less an uneducated response.. weather it be tower, desktop or cube mITX has it covered.

The mITX form factor is just recently starting to become more main stream. If you think that case designs for it have been fleshed out as much as ATX or even mATX, then you are a fool and / or have no imagination. Calling my response uneducated just makes you look even more foolish, you have no idea of who I am, what I do, or what my opinions are based on. You might not agree with my position, but I assure you, it is quite an "educated" response.

The mITX form factor is just recently starting to become more main stream. If you think that case designs for it have been fleshed out as much as ATX or even mATX, then you are a fool and / or have no imagination. Calling my response uneducated just makes you look even more foolish, you have no idea of who I am, what I do, or what my opinions are based on. You might not agree with my position, but I assure you, it is quite an "educated" response.

OMG I just about shit myself when reading this.. Now I wasn't an English major, but what the fuck does "fleshed out" mean?

And the only things missing from a large number of mITX cases that they have in mATX & especially ATX is windows & bright colored LED's.. You want more variance in case design? Well what the fuck do you expect them to do. There are only so many ways to re-organize the same 4 components & come up with something different. As I said before. For ATX, You have Desktop, Tower & Cube. Same for mATX & mITX.

There are of course rare exceptions to every rule like that funky lian li that was shaped like the number 6. But in the end its still just a tower.

OK guys-hold on. I think I see part of the dispute. As far as being desktop/tower/cube there are indeed options for ITX. But I just did a quick peruse of Neweggs cases for Mid ATX and there are over 300 options. Something for every price range and taste (most of which I thought sucked-personal opinion) ITX cases, by comparison, have limited options. Fortunately, a higher percentage are much nicer cases.

So, yes ITX basic configurations are covered, but we dont have nearly as many options for individual taste.

I have to agree. There is one or two of each (tower, cube etc...) but I wouldn't exactly say that there isn't a lot of room for improvement.

Anyway, there is no information about a gigabyte ITX Sandy bridge... I did however find a DFI one but its only for industrial use.

For one, I would like a case that does away with space for optical drives, has space for two 2.5" drives, and stands all the components vertically (I hate how deep most of the current cases are, they really don't need to be more than 7" deep or so if you do a vertical config). Something like a mini FT02 (and not the mATX monstrosity that Silverstone showed off recently). You could also have a big 140mm fan at the bottom with a removable filter and some laptop like hinge on top to access the ports instead of something you have to snap off to change a cable.

Oh, and bastage, they sell drugs that help with your incontinence problem.

Also: Sad to hear about the board's lack of onboard sound, this kind of kills it for me. It is definitely intended for mainly HTPC use and not a mini portable gaming rig.

Last edited:
I thought I found a pic of the Gigabyte mobo, but now I am not sure. However, several places say that Gigabyte is making one. Doesn't matter to me as Asus and ASRock are my top two choices, for now.

For one, I would like a case that does away with space for optical drives, has space for two 2.5" drives, and stands all the components vertically (I hate how deep most of the current cases are, they really don't need to be more than 7" deep or so if you do a vertical config). Something like a mini FT02 (and not the mATX monstrosity that Silverstone showed off recently). You could also have a big 140mm fan at the bottom with a removable filter and some laptop like hinge on top to access the ports instead of something you have to snap off to change a cable.

Doesnt the Fractal R2 skip the OD? Of course its over 7" deep. Part of what keeps this fun is seeing the different viewpoints and ideas. Myself, I want to keep the OD. It can be slim and I have no problem with 2.5 drives. Heck, my current project will start with a leftover 2.5". Since I want to do some light/moderate gaming a 7" deep case isnt going to cut it. If I get some better graphics I may become a heavier gamer:D Personally, I'd love a Q08 cut down to 270mm in length. (Smell possible future project :eek:)

Anyhow, I would love to see more options for cases.

Doesnt the Fractal R2 skip the OD? Of course its over 7" deep. Part of what keeps this fun is seeing the different viewpoints and ideas. Myself, I want to keep the OD. It can be slim and I have no problem with 2.5 drives. Heck, my current project will start with a leftover 2.5". Since I want to do some light/moderate gaming a 7" deep case isnt going to cut it. If I get some better graphics I may become a heavier gamer:D Personally, I'd love a Q08 cut down to 270mm in length. (Smell possible future project :eek:)

Anyhow, I would love to see more options for cases.

You're right, I misspoke, the mobo is 6.7", and the video card (vertically) would add at least another inch in required depth. Even the Sugo SG05 is over 10" deep though, and does not support a GTX 580 (since it's in a typical horizontal config). Since mITX cases often go on the desktop, an approach that minimizes the footprint is desirable IMO; the best way to do this is standing it up. It would probably need some added weight around the bottom panel though, since the PSU weight would not be enough to keep it from tipping over.

Now that I agree with. I am currently waiting on a Q07 that I got over the Q11/Q08 due to the footprint. I really needed to keep it small. Good thing theres some good GPUs that will fit. If the Q07 didnt have OD that space could house a 120/140mm exhaust fan. That would mean 2.5 HDD on the floor and removal of OD cage. Just a thought. But, like I said, I am using the OD. Though, if I convert to slim OD a slim 120mm might fit, hmmm.(Last post I make off topic-sorry)

OK guys-hold on. I think I see part of the dispute. As far as being desktop/tower/cube there are indeed options for ITX. But I just did a quick peruse of Neweggs cases for Mid ATX and there are over 300 options. Something for every price range and taste (most of which I thought sucked-personal opinion) ITX cases, by comparison, have limited options. Fortunately, a higher percentage are much nicer cases.

So, yes ITX basic configurations are covered, but we dont have nearly as many options for individual taste.

I cant argue with that.. Thats just my selective filtering of the interwebs to get rid of the bottom 80% because there complete crap anyhow & I wouldn't use them in a build for my grandmother..

Also of note that bottom 80% which composes 240 or so cases at this math.. There is probably only 75 or so different designs with different front panels thrown on..

Now that I agree with. I am currently waiting on a Q07 that I got over the Q11/Q08 due to the footprint. I really needed to keep it small. Good thing theres some good GPUs that will fit. If the Q07 didnt have OD that space could house a 120/140mm exhaust fan. That would mean 2.5 HDD on the floor and removal of OD cage. Just a thought. But, like I said, I am using the OD. Though, if I convert to slim OD a slim 120mm might fit, hmmm.(Last post I make off topic-sorry)

I love the footprint of the q07. I Did a build with it a while back & it was alot of fun. I ended up selling though as I couldnt get a graphics card worthy of gaming to fit at the time. Now though there are the shorty 460's (palit & gainward depending on where you live) that fit just fine.

As for the Exhaust fan in it.. I really don't think its necessary.. Although there was no active airflow in the case from the case it always stayed cool. I just had the PSU sucking the hot air from around the CPU & exhausting it.. I Think its just to the small size of the case & the very small amount of air to heat up. The relatively slow PSU fan can still change all the air in no time.

I actually build a couple cardboard replica of the Q07/Q11 and put them on my desk to compare. Its the main reason I am getting the Q07!

I agree the fan may be unnecessary but since a lot of people seem to think more is needed I thought I would throw that out :)

BTW, I decided against the CoolerMaster PSU since I discovered it was 160mm long. Going with SeaSonic 520W and will mod cables. Half of which I wont need at all.

BTW, I decided against the CoolerMaster PSU since I discovered it was 160mm long. Going with SeaSonic 520W and will mod cables. Half of which I wont need at all.

I Would go with the Silverstone strider series & get the PP05 short cable kit for it from newegg.. Still good quality PSU's & much cheaper & no need to mod.

the SeaSonic was $20 less. Adding the PP05 would make it $40 less. For $40 I will mod cables. Putting in perspective I saved 25% on PSU alone. Admittedly using the Silverstone and short cables would be easier. And wouldnt void a warranty. But for the difference I will risk it. Besides I got not much else to do while sitting on my behind reading forums all day. Not much work for me. Price is now higher on the SeaSonic than when I bought it. If I was buying now I would get the Silverstone. Still need board, CPU and memory. Will get those in Jan.

Just reread the Asus AMD itx review and the SB board needs to beat that for me to get it. Cant wait!

the SeaSonic was $20 less. Adding the PP05 would make it $40 less. For $40 I will mod cables. Putting in perspective I saved 25% on PSU alone. Admittedly using the Silverstone and short cables would be easier. And wouldnt void a warranty. But for the difference I will risk it. Besides I got not much else to do while sitting on my behind reading forums all day. Not much work for me. Price is now higher on the SeaSonic than when I bought it. If I was buying now I would get the Silverstone. Still need board, CPU and memory. Will get those in Jan.

Just reread the Asus AMD itx review and the SB board needs to beat that for me to get it. Cant wait!

Oh.. your talking about the non modular seasonic.. I Was assumeing the modular one so the PSU's would have started at the same cost. Just would have been an addition of the 20 bucks for the short cable kit.

That being said what hardware are you actually using in the system.. in a Q07 I assume nothing too hard on the power. I would consider the Corsair CX430/URL] as well since that should be enough juice for any q07 system & at about half the cost it makes voiding a warranty allot more justifiable.

As for the remaining hardware besides the still needed mobo, cpu and ram, the only thing left is the GPU and more than likely it will be a gtx 460. I considered the Corsair but after reading the reviews I reconsidered. If I am going to void a warranty I should best not need to worry about using it! And since I keep stuff a LONG time (current setup is 4yr old laptop-and it wasnt anywhere near the top of the lineup) I overdid it on power. I did research and at the watts I need this thing is very efficient. Like 87%

And after reviewing currently listed SB mobo's I think I will be going with the Asus-WiFi and USB 3. none of the others listed having both.

As for the remaining hardware besides the still needed mobo, cpu and ram, the only thing left is the GPU and more than likely it will be a gtx 460. I considered the Corsair but after reading the reviews I reconsidered. If I am going to void a warranty I should best not need to worry about using it! And since I keep stuff a LONG time (current setup is 4yr old laptop-and it wasnt anywhere near the top of the lineup) I overdid it on power. I did research and at the watts I need this thing is very efficient. Like 87%

And after reviewing currently listed SB mobo's I think I will be going with the Asus-WiFi and USB 3. none of the others listed having both.

yea there is definitely no knocking the quality of that seasonic PSU.. I just cant see spending that much on something that I am going to immeaditly void the warranty on. But to each his own I guess.. As for the Mobo Choice.. Asus will most likely pack the most into 1 mITX board.. Them or Zotac.

looking at current mITX boards there are like 4 decent ones on the intel side & 1 on the AMD side & go figure, but the 1 on the AMD side is the only one with usb 3.0, Raid, & Wifi.. It really surprises me that NONE of the intel boards have it all.

Yeah, I like the Asus AMD board a lot, but I am waiting on the SB version for a comparison. Then I am getting one of them. Admittedly the AMD board will likely be cheaper, but since I will be using the integrated graphics for a bit, the SB appears to be better on that front.
I wont void warranty right away. I am going to put it in a micro ATX box (our office PC and I am the only person in the office) and run for while to make sure its ok. Like the month I am waiting for SB :)

Last edited:
I think a lot of people didn't really understand the big demand for itx untill people started buying second hand DFI boards for really high prices. Also the gigabyte board must have sold a lot as well. Thats why we are seeing ITX boards for sandy bridge at launch.

I think we will be seeing a few more before launch. I mean, Gigabyte, Zotac and Jetway hasnt shown one yet and surely with the success of the 1156 board they will. SFF boards are really taking off and in many directions-LAN, gaming, HTPC, and just desktops that take minimal space.I have a Dell Vostro here (see above-not mine!) that is huge in comparison and is just a business use pc-no graphic card, 100mb nic, real basic. Could put three SFF inside it.

Heh.. Lets not forget that paying 2x as much for a board half the size has to be good for the manufacturers bottom line.

It might be cheap componentwise but the manufacturing costs are probably higher due to lower volumes.

It might be cheap componentwise but the manufacturing costs are probably higher due to lower volumes.

I Doubt that there will really be lower volumes.. Going forward more & more mITX boards will be making there way into OEM systems more so then the larger boards since the R&D will already be done as well as the manufacturing process. There is no reason to put a mATX or ATX in most OEM systems.

I Doubt that there will really be lower volumes.. Going forward more & more mITX boards will be making there way into OEM systems more so then the larger boards since the R&D will already be done as well as the manufacturing process. There is no reason to put a mATX or ATX in most OEM systems.

However, they can charge such high prices, and they will. Yeah, ASUS did a LOT of DTX/mITX work for the HP Slimline S3000 series, so it's not like they have massive engineering deficiencies in this area...

It would make no sence for them to charge an OEM higher prices when it cost them less.. Us as enthusiasts... Sure we pay a premium, but if there mass producing a cheaper board they will sell it for the same or less. & then the OEM gets to spend less on the rest of the components like the case as well.

From what I can find ITX board prices have been getting lower with more manufacturers producing them. When VIA was it they could charge what they wanted. Now there is Atom, AMD, and Intel boards and over half a dozen companies making them. Prices will drop. Most boards now are $100-125. (for current CPUs and RAM) Cant see that going up. Even with new boards there are still several companies jumping on the wagon for ITX. Competition is a great thing for consumers! Better products and good prices. I have read in this forum several of the quality problems with earlier boards. Now if your board sucks, people will buy the other. Good times ahead

Back