Asus P8P67-I Sandy Bridge Mini ITX

elpibe10

Weaksauce
The Asus P8P67-I includes two SO-DIMM slots, one PCI-Express x16 slot, two SATA 6.0 Gbps and two 3.0 Gbps ports, two USB 3.0 connectors, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, and D-Sub, DVI and HDMI outputs. All this and more should be coming our way in December/January.

asusp8p67-io101.jpg

Source : http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardware/31723/asus-greenlights-sandy-bridge-motherboard-previews

That socket is soooooo close to the pci-e slot D:

The other features sound really nice though.

Is there an powered eSATA port as well (eSATAp)? That's sort of what the lowest red port looks like to me, but I am new to this stuff.

It probably is, it's an eSATA/USB combo port at the very least

More ITX goodness. Yay! Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to sell off my spare 8GB dual channel DDR3 SODIMM kits.

Is the socket any closer to the PCI-E slot than the Gigabyte H55 board?

Why do these boards still come with PS/2 and VGA ports??? Seems like a waste of space.

Would be nice if they made a cheaper, more minimalist one focused on the enthusiast crowd, without integrated graphics or legacy ports.

Why do these boards still come with PS/2 and VGA ports??? Seems like a waste of space.

Would be nice if they made a cheaper, more minimalist one focused on the enthusiast crowd, without integrated graphics or legacy ports.

IDK, Phase one of my build will likely be integrated video, at least till I got it running smoothly. I agree that the PS/2 and VGA can go. Even my cheap LCD screen supports DVI.

They have a full warehouse leftovers hehe.. Seriously Intel would claim that space for onboard components. Even if not throw it out then put USB ports up to 8.

Excellent to asus taking a more active approach in the mITX market.. Maybe they learned with the M4A88T-I Deluxe that mITX can be profitable when they make the boards for enthusiasts instead of oem's

Is the socket any closer to the PCI-E slot than the Gigabyte H55 board?

First, LGA1155 is not considered "enthusiast" by Intel, and such, all of the CPUs in that socket will have an IGP onboard. PS/2 helps with recovering from a bad OC, since the first thing to go during that process is sometimes the USB ports... However, I agree on VGA. just include a DVI-I-->VGA adaptor. Why waste all that space?

It is only wasted though if it would be used for something else, what would they put there?

Excellent to asus taking a more active approach in the mITX market.. Maybe they learned with the M4A88T-I Deluxe that mITX can be profitable when they make the boards for enthusiasts instead of oem's

Nah, they ran like crazy with the old HP Slimline s3000 series. They provided some 5-6 lines of DTX (mITX + one more slot) boards.

Of course, the new HP Slimlines (S5000) are now bigger mATX boards, so ASUS had to find something to do with now idle engineering groups... :p

Nah, they ran like crazy with the old HP Slimline s3000 series. They provided some 5-6 lines of DTX (mITX + one more slot) boards.

Of course, the new HP Slimlines (S5000) are now bigger mATX boards, so ASUS had to find something to do with now idle engineering groups... :p

I like what there doing with that idle time then..

First, LGA1155 is not considered "enthusiast" by Intel, and such, all of the CPUs in that socket will have an IGP onboard. PS/2 helps with recovering from a bad OC, since the first thing to go during that process is sometimes the USB ports... However, I agree on VGA. just include a DVI-I-->VGA adaptor. Why waste all that space?

Isn't it time they fix that problem with USB instead of relying on an ancient PS/2 adapter? I mean, do they even make PS/2 keyboards anymore?

As for what they could substitute those ports with... SPDIF comes to mind. It's not only the space, it's the unecessary cost, even though it might be minimal.

Isn't it time they fix that problem with USB instead of relying on an ancient PS/2 adapter? I mean, do they even make PS/2 keyboards anymore?

As for what they could substitute those ports with... SPDIF comes to mind. It's not only the space, it's the unecessary cost, even though it might be minimal.

Yea PS2 is worthless.. IMHO they should basically put what they ahve to ahve as fas as video, audio Ethernet etc & then full the rest of the plate with USB..

Hey... PS/2 is great when (like me) you build a really odd-looking mod out of scrap, junk, and spare spit, and you've got a choice between using your only two USB ports on a keyboard and mouse... or using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and saving those USB for when they might be useful.

Pix of above-mentioned mod here... only look if you're really brave MUHUHAHAHAA!

(Well, seriously, it is a bit of an engineering feat... but the appearance is still not for the faint of heart.)

EDIT: link was doing something wierd. Fixed now.

Last edited:
I still use an AT KB with PS/2 adapter. I do agree with the VGA though, HDMI, DP and DVI-I would be better. Also they should do a DTX board with 2 16x PCIe it would make an amazing LAN box with 2 water cooled video cards.

Evidently the board is H67 and not P67.

Simple misunderstanding, probably due to lack of information and trying to decode the product name.

Also, it couldn't be P67 because of the video outputs.

Actually PS/2 had lots of nice things about it. Maybe the advantages are removed with the new UEFI/EFI thing...

That does look sexy.

Somewhat regret that I build a new system just now. Was figuring that SB will not have mITX for some time.

Now, we just need more smaller PSUs and GPUs to accommodate such tiny board.

THIS. It frustrates me immensely that right now there are no fully modular 80 plus certified SFW power supplies!

Apologies for the off topic rant but I will probably be building a system around this board or one similar and am really hoping the PSU situation improves (looking at seasonic) between now and then.

Shame with the socket location once more... as far as PS/2 goes I don't mind, as I still have an old Logitech PS/2 wireless keyboard that I occasionally use (it's a great keyboard!).

I like PS/2. That option in the BIOS to power on w/ a press of a key on a PS/2 keyboard is handy.

...the other thing I like about PS/2 is that you can reliably edit the BIOS with a keyboard that uses that connector and protocol...

...don't ever try DOS+USB unless you don't have a choice. It's very flaky and far more ugly than DOS on its own...

Jumping the gun a bit, but does any one know if this board will support the upcoming ivy bridge, when the die gets shrunk to 22nm?

Think this board will support quads with HT?

As for PS2, NKRO would be a reason as USB is limited to 6 keys at once.

PS2 port user here...

Hey... using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and saving those USB for when they might be useful.

Totally agree. On these mini-itx boards, you would like to hvae as many USB port open as possible. Usually you can only utilize a pair from the board to hook up to the front of the case and the other one on board is usually wasted. This board and the SG05 would be a great combination for a LAN to go.. ala V3 Gaming Move that I read the review on yesterday.:D

I can't wait for the intel reference sandy bridge board. The H57 ITX board intel makes is great with power efficiency.

Maybe with sandy bridge we will see sub-15W idle systems. That would be nice :) My i3/H57 idles around 25W, so my fingers are crossed.

Somehow I inadvertently turned this into a PS/2 appreciation thread. Apologies to the OP.

Back