ASRock 939Dual-SATA2

what do you mean installed the agp drivers from the uli? do you mean the uli 2.1 drivers? :D

bigbadgreen said:
I just visited both of those sites that are supposed to kill and everything ran perfectly. I watched the you tube video, surfed the site a few minutes to lots of links letting pages load %100. I also ran through most of the playstation site with no issues at all.

Of course I'm not running in 1T though, maybe that's why. I'm using the sbc yahoo browser (reskinned IE). I've havn't experienced any of the issues people are talking about.

My setup is 3500+ 512x4 hyper x, which is forcing me to run @ 333 instead of 400 until I can get the cash to get 2x1GB. It did run rock stable though with 2x512 @ 400 and beyond. I tried both 2x512 pc4000 overclocked and 2x512 pc3200 not oc'd. I'm using onboard sound with no issues. I don't hear any buzzing or inteference on my creative inspire T5400 5.1, while using any options on my logitech G5, or when my optical or hard drives spin up. I've cranked the speakers listening for it. It's better than the generic pci sound card I had been using and just as good as the onboard on my old MSI board.

Here's how I went about installing. fresh xp pro, installed all drivers from asrock disc, except for the AGP driver, I used the one from Uli for that. I'm using bios 1.2. I'm using a 6800gt, it always detected at 8x, I set the apature to 256, did anybody else notice the default video choice in the bios is pci, not pci-e or agp.
No cold boot issues etc...

Maybe I'm a lucky one, but i've loved this board, it has been one of the more stable boards I've ever owned. right from the box it booted up stable and aside from me pushing it's limits with overclocking it has never crashed. There have been a few times when I raised the fsb too much and it wouldn't boot but the recovery option worked great, three presses of the reset button and the bios resets to default.

I'm willing to dissect my drivers, versions etc... and setup if you want to know.

I noticed the PCI video choice right off... weird...

What overclock settings are you using. We have almost identical setups.

-=R=-

sorry guys i cant help it but im really confused.... i hav the cd driver that comes with the mobo..(Bios v1.2).. what do i need to install? uli 2.1 (from uli.com.tw) or the cd would do fine?? *sigh :(

im doubting abt the uli 2.1 since the file is so small.. maybe it does not have all the drivers needed. like the sound card and all... :confused:

GSG9PH said:
sorry guys i cant help it but im really confused.... i hav the cd driver that comes with the mobo..(Bios v1.2).. what do i need to install? uli 2.1 (from uli.com.tw) or the cd would do fine?? *sigh :(

im doubting abt the uli 2.1 since the file is so small.. maybe it does not have all the drivers needed. like the sound card and all... :confused:

you can actually extract the exe file with winrar and look at all the driver folders individually. for some reason.. I had to install my onboard lan card this way.

so install every single driver from the uli. zip? and dont even touch the cd included?
how about the realtek a362 drivers that comes with the cd? (since il be using the onboard sound)

thanks guys!

Am i getting this ryt?
step 1: Install Uli 2.1 drivers (dont check usb driver)
step 2: install Vga Drivers
step 3: Install realtek a362 from cd??? :rolleyes:

What bothers me is that I did a huge mismatch due to my X800XT PE being AGP.... This board is great and I can't complain. But it is just bothersome that my CPU runs full load at about 35Celcius thanks to the zalman 9500 and that my ram easily will run 250mhz on 2.72 voltage (which is undervoltaged) . I think with another board I would be able to have a much higher overclocked. I mean my RAM is not even overclocked and should be able to do around 300 fairly easily and that my CPU is on air and bearly at 35Celcius. I need the vdimm voltage bad so I can raise the clocks and this board just doesn't have the juice without the mod that I won't even think about trying.

Setup
Venice 3200+ e6 250x10 = 2500
Zalman 9500
Crucial Ballistix 1gb ddr400
Asrock 939 Dual 1.2 Bios
Thermaltake 420w PS
wd800jd 80gb Hard drive
MSI X800XT PE

GSG9PH said:
so install every single driver from the uli. zip? and dont even touch the cd included?
how about the realtek a362 drivers that comes with the cd? (since il be using the onboard sound)

thanks guys!

Am i getting this ryt?
step 1: Install Uli 2.1 drivers (dont check usb driver)
step 2: install Vga Drivers
step 3: Install realtek a362 from cd??? :rolleyes:

Dude, you cant mess it up.. just experiment a little.
Install ULI drivers, the 2.1 zip file has most of the stuff.
(AGP users might need a different GART driver then...) Install your video card drivers.
Go to asrock's site and download the Realtek sound drivers.

Now a question for ME!
I know many of you are using the OCWB beta bioses, this thread has it somewehre in it and the OCWB site has data on it too, but can someone just share a little info with me?
OCWB1 vs OCWB2. What are they based on? I recall reading that OCWB3 was based on 1.3 so am I safe to assume that 1 is based on 1.1 and 2 is based on 1.2?

Right now im really happy with my BIOS at 1.2 but then I cant get past the 274 HTT. Thats a bit dissapointing and if you guys can share a bit of info I might go for the OCWB bios to aim for 300HTT.
I also assume the flash procedure is different for this because it is an unofficial bios?
I know asrocks one is asrflash biosname.extension

>_< is there a way to backup bioses? I am so afraid of toasting my BIOS. (maybe where can I buy a bios saviour haha im that paranoid.)

awdark said:
I know many of you are using the OCWB beta bioses, this thread has it somewehre in it and the OCWB site has data on it too, but can someone just share a little info with me?
OCWB1 vs OCWB2. What are they based on? I recall reading that OCWB3 was based on 1.3 so am I safe to assume that 1 is based on 1.1 and 2 is based on 1.2?
Both beta bioses are based on 1.2 I haven't had awful problems with OCWB1, just mild ones. I actually just had a bad start today where it took about 5 minutes to get everything back. Fortunatly Boot Failure Guard was enabled so I didn't have to clear the CMOS. When i tried OCWB2 i could barely get through post. It might have been a bad flash or something, but that experience has kept me away from OCWB2. I was lucky to get booted and reflash.
Right now im really happy with my BIOS at 1.2 but then I cant get past the 274 HTT. Thats a bit dissapointing and if you guys can share a bit of info I might go for the OCWB bios to aim for 300HTT.
Yeah, just try to get higher HTT with the beta bioses. If you can, keep it, otherwise go back to 1.2. The boot issues i've been having with the beta bioses is worse than the official.
I also assume the flash procedure is different for this because it is an unofficial bios?
I know asrocks one is asrflash biosname.extension
It's actually the exact same. It's just writing a binary file.
>_< is there a way to backup bioses? I am so afraid of toasting my BIOS. (maybe where can I buy a bios saviour haha im that paranoid.)
I don't think there is a way to backup, just get a new chip. You should probably check out badflash.com if it's a concern. I think i'm going to do that now actually ;)

thanks guys! but wait, last question :D uhm would you guys reccomend that i download the latest realte ALC850 sound drivers (3.79) from realteks site? or just use the (3.62) of asrocks? thanks a bunch!!!!!

I got the sound drivers from Asrock
but Maybe you will have better luck from realtek. I dont think you can really go wrong on those though. If you try the one from realtek, can you tell me if you get lots of bus noise? I assume its inevitable on my board from my video card but meh I can hope.

I use an ancient sound card that seems several times better than the onboard in terms of noise... but sound production I dont know... my ears have always had some damage.

Edit, thanks for the info about the beta bioses. If thats the case ill stick to my 1.2 because its solid right now and im really happy with it. 750mhz oc isnt too bad right?

Quick question about asrock mobo. How did you guys with xp-90 attach it to the board? I removed the original stock plate and tried to attach the new one but the 15mm screws don't fit the spacers for a case? so how in the world did u guys secure it?

Doesnt the XP 90 need a backplate that goes with the board? I know my zalman came with a backplate to screw the heatsink onto.

(board doesnt have a backplate)

Alright, I finally finished building my comp. opt 146 w/ this mobo. I tried oc'in but i'm a noob so if anyone would like to enlighten me, that'd b great. I could only oc to 2200 before it became unstable. And i wasn't sure what the others settings were so i didn't fiddle w/ em except for the htt and changing to async. But other than that i changed nothing. O yea since my ram is pc3700 how does this mobo recognize that? The only choices for memory speeds goes up to 400mhz...

Thanks.

Update:
NVM figured it all out. Its at 2.6ghz right now w/ memory at 215.8mhz
My only question now is if its a bad idea to oc this high before burn in?

I've been running the Opteron @ 2.73Ghz now for 24hours stable at default voltage....
Will be going for 2.8+ in the next 36hours after burn-in.
If I make it above 2.8 at default volts, I'll dance a jig!!

...Will keep ya' posted!

What overclock settings are you using. We have almost identical setups

I'm used the highest RAM voltage setting and high cpu voltage. I was running 11x228. that's all it would run stable, although I didn't totally tweak everything, pretty much just stepped it up 3 fsb at a time and then when it crashed backed it down by one. I'm guessing with ram tweaks etc... I'd be able to hit more. I just used the spd for timings other than fsb.

the drivers I used were the uli set, and then beyond that the realtek driver from the cd that came with the mobo for the sound. I'm using the onboard as well.

Well... I'm dancin' that jig this afternoon!
I've got the Opteron 148 running @ 11 x 255= 2.82Ghz default volts (1.35) stable.

HTT=600Mhz
Memory=166Mhz divider (volts=high) memory @ 200.03 Mhz
The rest of the CPU settings = AUTO
Fast Writes= Disabled

It was begging me to go higher, so we skipped the 36 hour burn-in and went for it!
The system was stale so far thru, 4 loops of 3Dmark2001 @ 16x12x32x4XAA w/ SuperPi in the background calculating to 32M. We still have many hours of "Burn" to verify but, DAM!! this ASRock/Opteron upgrade has turned out to be the best PC purchase/Upgrade I've ever made... and I mean that. Cheers to ASRock with the finest budget board ever made that competes more then well enough with the premium products out there right now (Nforce4, etc.). I am one happy skunk right now. BTW- This is all with a stock cooler HSF on the CPU not ever getting above 42c.
Great stuff!

just a quick question... does the zalman 7000b alcu heatsink fit on this mobo, and do i need any extra hardware other than what comes with the heatsink in order for it to fit? thanks

acidic said:
I have never had a COLD BOOT yet, and I had this rig since September

I am sure you have had a COLD BOOT... as you had to TURN IT ON sometime.

What I believe you mean is, a COLD BOOT PROBLEM.

Hehe

-=R=-

Does this motherboard come with a backplate that you could use to mount an XP-90 with? I answered a guys question in another thread and he said it didn't, but I was wondering what the regular retention module is screwed on with. Thanks :).

I have a high-density 2 gb kit of memory...will they run in this board? I have looked on the ASRock site but can't find any specific reference.

I am getting a 4000+ San Diego and I need to keep my AGP card for a while.

kirbyrj said:
Does this motherboard come with a backplate that you could use to mount an XP-90 with? I answered a guys question in another thread and he said it didn't, but I was wondering what the regular retention module is screwed on with. Thanks :).
No backplate. The retention module is held down with some plastic "screws" (but they're not screws, cant think of the word for it.) Anyways, it comes off easily with a small slot screwdriver. You just need to get a K8 backplate.

Yeah, some spacer like thing to hold the bracket in place...

The Zalman 7000alcu fits to some fat guy. The 7000b cu has a backplate and all that so we dont have that XP90 problem people seem to have.

@bigbadgreen how is your onboard sound? Any bus noises?

how long does it take to finish POST?

I just got my motherboard today and put the computer together. Everytime I boot up (whether a cold boot or just a restart), the computer kind of hangs as it auto detects the primary master (my NEC DVD burner)

DyNe__ said:
how long does it take to finish POST?

I just got my motherboard today and put the computer together. Everytime I boot up (whether a cold boot or just a restart), the computer kind of hangs as it auto detects the primary master (my NEC DVD burner)

In most cases you can disable the autodetect by specifying the devices in the bios (i.e. set pri mas to cd-rom, and the others to none assuming you have 1 optical drive and a sata HDD).

I was able to reach 11 x 273= 3003Mhz (3Ghz baby!) last night @ 1.45v (Stock cooler)
I'm pretty dam happy right now... I don't think I will do the vmod.
This is good enough! (fingers crossed behind back, thinking of conductive paint & a Zalman 9500LED HSF).

As soon as I went to 11 x 257 (2.85Ghz), I had to go from 1.35v to 1.375v for stability.
The next step was at 11 x 264 (2.90Ghz), I had to go to 1.425v for stability.
From any settings of 11 x 268-273, it req. 1.45v
Final goal reached was @ 11 x 273 (boards max.? with official 1.20 BIOS???) for 3GHZ @ 1.45v

I did not try to go any higher yet, because of the claim that the board may not go any higher on the FSB/HTT. I just want to burn-in at 3Ghz for now and maybe in the future get really bold.... but this is pretty dam awesome if you ask me!

Jacksn

uzor said:
In most cases you can disable the autodetect by specifying the devices in the bios (i.e. set pri mas to cd-rom, and the others to none assuming you have 1 optical drive and a sata HDD).

I did that, and have tried rebooting a couple of times. It didnt help at all :(

DyNe__ said:
I did that, and have tried rebooting a couple of times. It didnt help at all :(

Check the master/slave setting on the device? maybe the jumper doesn't match with what the comp is expecting.

uzor said:
Check the master/slave setting on the device? maybe the jumper doesn't match with what the comp is expecting.

I have my dvd burner (with jumper on master) as the primary master, and my 80gb boot drive (with jumper on master) as secondary master

Hey Guys,

I just got my new system built. ASRock 939Dual with Dual Core Opteron 165 and 2Gigs of OCZ Platinum 2-2-2-5 ram. I have the cpu clocked at 2403Mhz right now (267x9) on stock voltage. I ran prime95 and superPI overnight and didn't crash. The cpu temp is at a reasonable temperature of 103F too. I'm going to try 2600Mhz next.

Question: how do you set the memory divider on this? CPUZ says my divider is 14, but I didn't see a setting in the bios to change this.

thanks!

its the one that says memory speed i think it gives u like 4 choices 200mhz, 166mhz, 133mhz, 100mhz. These r actually divider settings.

BTW r u running on 1t or 2t? I got BIG stability issues running 1t even at my rams rated speeds.

bigbadgreen how is your onboard sound? Any bus noises?

I havn't heard any bus noises yet. I've turned up the speakers trying to hear it. I've thrown everything I can think of at it and can't hear any disturbances. I've been surfing the net, encoding cd's into mp3's, onto both of my hdd's, used both of my optical drives, saved some files to a floppy, used a usb thumbdrive, ran a digital camera through the usb, connected an old printer to the serial port, all with the sound cranked on my creative T5400's and havn't heard anything. I've done this while listening to music and playing games and nothing. I've also tried using a pci ethernet card, a pci video card, and a usb/gameport pci card with no bus noises.

Wow... I wonder if my mobo was defective like that... I get so much noise that I NEED to have mp3s playing to drown out the sounds or turn my speakers off.

Hey guys,

I'd like to overclock my 3200+ Venice on ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. Was wondering what you guys thought the best course of action would be...sig has my specs.

Kingston DDR500 RAM (currnetly running @ DDR400) is rated 3-4-4-8 timings @ 2.6V.

Your thoughts on what I should set multiplier, volatges, freq. to?

Not looking to do any serious OC'ing, just probing you 1337peeps to see what I can possibly do with said hardware.

Any input would be greatly appreciated; thanks! :D

Sound noise exists with my AsRock too,but in a weird way.I use PCI sound card.With my Philips pair of speakers,i get background noise when at high volume.But if i connect my headphones directly to the sound card,i get no disturbances at all.On the other hand,the onboard sound is more clean both using speakers and headphones.At the end i bought headphones with 2m cable and don't think about it anymore:p

Oh well,i had 3 ASUS boards that were much worse with sound disturbance and they had costed me the double compared to AsRock...

Wow, started this thread didnt know it was gonna blow up like this, I like it! I actually just now finally got the board (early christmas present) overclocks my 3200+ to 2.4ghz very easily, im likin the 1.50 bios.

wee96 said:
Wow, started this thread didnt know it was gonna blow up like this, I like it! I actually just now finally got the board (early christmas present) overclocks my 3200+ to 2.4ghz very easily, im likin the 1.50 bios.

What does the 1.50 change/add?

uzor said:
What does the 1.50 change/add?

I havent looked into it yet, its just the newest one and I had 1.20 when I got it.

I'm having a pretty significant problem with my video card though, ive got an x800pro AGP and my framerates after getting this board are terrible in all games. Im wondering if theres something im missing, ive got it on 8x and set to 256mb. There must be something I can do, its literally like my framerates are cut in half. Ideas anyone?

Back