ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

Alpha invites should be going out today.

I hate to beg, but if anyone has a spare please hook me up. If they indeed come with another invite like the rumors suggest, I'll certainly pay it forward to another [H]'er.

I have 0 available steam gift invites, first 2 PM's get them.

Sorry looks like they are spoken for but not yet taken.

Last edited:
I never understood this game. I know it has a huge following, but every video I watch looks like it's bugged to all hell.

Is there a campaign? Or is it just a simulation? Is it better to play coop instead of by yourself?

There are campaigns, and they are awesome. There isn't one in the Alpha yet though.

I should have at least two invites to give out as well when I get home this evening. I think WildAce was looking for one, not sure who else.

EDIT: So far none of the invites show up in my account yet. Will update when they do.

I never understood this game. I know it has a huge following, but every video I watch looks like it's bugged to all hell.

Is there a campaign? Or is it just a simulation? Is it better to play coop instead of by yourself?

There is a sp campaign but the 99% of arma is about multiplayer. Be it coop,pvp, or rp.

coop is way more fun. Arma really shines when you get a squad that are all working together and are all on coms.

I'd like to give this a shot if anyone has a spare invite, I've got a hankering for something slow and methodical.

How do yall recon this would run on my specs?...x2 6400+, HD4890, and 4 gigs? Probably not worth a crap I bet, even on medium/low.

cool, thanks. I might have to check it out.

Is it kinda like battlefield? I join a game and we just kill each other?

ok ill explain 2 of the game types i play.

insurgency usually coop. you play a a team clearing towns and collecting Intel from dead insurgents so you can find and destroy weapons cashes.

warfare is kinda like like bf you have a commander who builds bases. from which you can buy vehicles weapons and ai soldiers which you can command. you then take and hold towns which every few minutes. give you money so you can buy stuff. your end goal is to destroy the other teams hq vehicle.

there are loads of other game types like day z wasteland and zargabad life which are all rpg game types.

now these all need to be ported over from arma 2 so they probably won't be out for a little while.

I'd like to give this a shot if anyone has a spare invite, I've got a hankering for something slow and methodical.

How do yall recon this would run on my specs?...x2 6400+, HD4890, and 4 gigs? Probably not worth a crap I bet, even on medium/low.

ya your going to be hurting you may be able to play on low ok. but i wouldn't put any money on it.

Probably one of the more popular game modes is Domination in ArmA 2. Basically, it's a persistent world where you get orders to clear out towns, destroy radio towers, and you have a massive base with tons of vehicles, weapons, etc. You also get secondary objectives like "assassinate the officer" or "ambush the convoy" and stuff like that. Pretty cool if you get a good group going. It's extremely difficult to do it solo, though, so you really do have to use teamwork.

Just watched a coop video on youtube. Seems almost too realistic lol. Looks like you can't do shit unless you have a good team that knows what they're doing. Using compasses and fancy gadgets... damn.

It's even better (if you like realism like I do) with the ACE realism mod and ACRE realistic radio mod. :) Can't wait until those get ported over to Arma3.

Speaking of which, is there any plans (whether through an official expansion or porting over) to bring back the current modern era weapons and vehicles? Futuristic is cool and all, but some of us prefer reality sometimes.

Just watched a coop video on youtube. Seems almost too realistic lol. Looks like you can't do shit unless you have a good team that knows what they're doing. Using compasses and fancy gadgets... damn.
It's fantastic. In terms of games that you can really sink your teeth into, almost nothing beats Arma.

The only problem is, I don't know if I have the patience to do something like that. I'm hoping for an invite so I can at least try it out.

It looks very promising and interesting, though.

Keep in mind also, guys, that Alpha Lite (the free one with keys we can give out) is extremely limited compared to what you would find in the full Alpha, and has no multiplayer component at all. Basically it's just to give you a small taste of how the game feels and runs on your machine.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it. if I don't like it, I wasted $35. Oh well.

Anyone want to play later tonight? Shoot me your steam emails.

No more PMs about invites please. :) Between PMs plus prior requests I've got at least three here.

why is performance so shitty? reminds me of planet side 2, cant seem to get over 30 fps.

Bad performance is a known issue and the devs have said they're working on it. It affects pretty much everyone right now. I'm guessing it's just unoptimization but hopefully they work on smoothing it out a bit more than they did in ArmA 2.

Well, I had a play, and I'm really not feeling it. Maybe it's just cause its Alpha. I'll still be willing to try it later.

got my alpha invite from MavericK96, just wanted to say thanks for that :)

Well, I had a play, and I'm really not feeling it. Maybe it's just cause its Alpha. I'll still be willing to try it later.

Yeah, Alpha is pretty limited and Alpha Lite even more so. Mainly just for testing and getting a small taste of the engine and controls.

I've got 3 alpha lite invites. First 3 people who contact me with at least 100 posts gets them.
Make sure to include your Steam ID

And I've got one remaining invite. Same stipulations as mtbush.

EDIT: Claimed pending PM response.

Last edited:
Bad performance is a known issue and the devs have said they're working on it. It affects pretty much everyone right now. I'm guessing it's just unoptimization but hopefully they work on smoothing it out a bit more than they did in ArmA 2.

Yes, I get 50% GPU usage max while in-game, although my 2500K is only at 4.2GHz at the moment so I'm gonna crank it up a bit tonight to see if that helps any since apparently the alpha is fairly cpu-bound right now.

I have 3 invites available in my Steam inventory...first 3 people to quote me with their Steam info get it when I get home from work later today. Students/unemployed preferred, for the rest of you, if you can afford to buy the game go ahead and do it it's only $35.

I have 3 invites available in my Steam inventory...first 3 people to quote me with their Steam info get it when I get home from work later today. Students/unemployed preferred, for the rest of you, if you can afford to buy the game go ahead and do it it's only $35.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SoFGR/

It's not for me, i sold the parts of my main pc 1 month ago

It is for a student, you can send the invite directly to him if you don't mind

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077466596

Also, I believe the Alpha Lite comes with one extra invite, so make sure to pass it on to other [H] members if you get an invite! :D

Another thing I would encourage people to do is use the Development builds and report bugs to the Feedback Tracker. All you have to do is go into Steam and then the Beta section, and select Development Build from the drop-down.

Development builds are updated regularly but may be broken/buggy (so far I haven't had any problems with them). Also keep in mind that you will only be able to play MP with other people/servers running the development build.

I believe you can just opt out of the beta program to revert back as well.

Apparently there is a bug though where if you're using the development build, it still lets you join any server, but everyone is turned into a seagull the instant you join. Unless they fixed that anyway.

Anyone going to be on later tonight and are willing to help me out a bit? I played last night but was confused for the most part.

Back