ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

MavericK

Zero Cool
Did my due diligence trying to find an old thread for this, but couldn't so here goes:

After a lot of silence and the whole debacle with Greece detaining the two developers, ArmA 3 is back on track and there will be an alpha released on March 5th!

I had left ArmA for several months after getting busier with work and other games, but I returned to hear that the alpha is coming out in a week or so and there are several "support" options available starting at that time.

New website: http://www.arma3.com/

Support options: http://www.arma3.com/buy

Now, I love ArmA and would love to go for the Supporter Edition but I'm not sure I can swing it. Plus, I have all of the bonus games listed...all I'd want would be the DLCs and the other perks, but I'm not sure that's worth an extra $40 or whatever the conversion is.

It also appears that there may be Alpha invites sent out starting March 18th.

The graphics look pretty sweet. That being said, I hate everything related to the clunkiness of the inventory system and the default keybinds (and how many there are) etc etc etc. I wonder if they will change any of that kinda stuff.

They've been working on it. Hard to say how different it is, but ArmA inventory never really bothered me that much. Animations are already looking smoother so that's a plus.

The graphics look pretty sweet. That being said, I hate everything related to the clunkiness of the inventory system and the default keybinds (and how many there are) etc etc etc. I wonder if they will change any of that kinda stuff.
Probably not. It's a hardcore simulator with numerous options: reducing the number of binds is just not feasible.

maaan this game looks sick as fuck.

Time to move my gtx 660 to the streaming rig and get a gtx 680!

Considering how ArmA 2 ran, their recommended specs seem extremely conservative. I wonder if we can hope for better optimization this time?

As for the UI/inventory/key binds, I'm guessing they're not going to change a lot, but they have been taking steps to make it more user-friendly.

Comanche!!!
arma3-screenshot-28.png

can't wait!! this looks like a 1st day buy for me.

Just made my day. I can't wait. will be throwing my money at them as soon a i can.

That looks... really good. I guess blowing my tax return on upgrades is a good idea.

The keybinds are what kept me away from Arma II. If they change it I might get this.

Looks great! Are the devs still in hotwater for that little incident they pulled going onto that military base?

The keybinds are what kept me away from Arma II. If they change it I might get this.

The fact that there were so many? I think it really is not what most people believe. It's a simulator, with the ability to be heavily modded for gameplay that requires that powerful of an engine.

Looks great! Are the devs still in hotwater for that little incident they pulled going onto that military base?

I haven't been keeping up with it but last I heard they were released on bail. Probably pending trial or whatever.

if anyone gets an extra alpha key on the 5th let me know, i dont have the money to preorder this right now.

but im extremely excited about Arma 3.

I'll be getting the alpha for sure so I should have a key for ya. ;)

And actually I believe the "lite" alpha starts the 18th according to their site.

I'll be getting the alpha for sure so I should have a key for ya. ;)

And actually I believe the "lite" alpha starts the 18th according to their site.

would be appreciated, 2 weeks later isnt bad.

ive been waiting for this game for awhile i really enjoyed making custom missions in arma 2. looking forward to the scenario editor even if its limited in the alpha light ill get to see how its changed and see what its going to offer.

The fact that there were so many? I think it really is not what most people believe. It's a simulator, with the ability to be heavily modded for gameplay that requires that powerful of an engine.

So many, yet, the fire mode selector key was also the grenade switching key with no way to modify it. Need to go to full auto? Swap between 4 grenade types first! :rolleyes:

There is some very real clunkiness in ArmA 1-2. One can hope ArmA 3 fixes this. We will have to wait and see.

Yeah, the weapon swapping and fire modes have always been an issue. We actually have swappable optics now, though, so hopefully they improved all of that.

I used ACE a lot of the time so weapon/fire mode switching was a lot easier.

And actually I think the Alpha Lite starts March 14th, through June 18th. I mixed up the numbers. :p

I have been waiting for this for years. Ill be all FUCKING OVER THIS SHIT.

Probably not. It's a hardcore simulator with numerous options: reducing the number of binds is just not feasible.

I disagree vehemently, if they had someone on their team who was better with interfaces and GUIs, I'm positive the game could have a much more intuitive, responsive, and smoother interface/control feel as a whole.

I disagree vehemently, if they had someone on their team who was better with interfaces and GUIs, I'm positive the game could have a much more intuitive, responsive, and smoother interface/control feel as a whole.

I think you guys are talking about two different things. They are working on GUI and inventory useability, but the number of keys required isn't likely to go down much. There's just too much to the game.

wait, I have to pay to get in the alpha?...why?...Alpha Lite seems pretty borked

I haveb't played any of the ARMA but this looks amazing. And March 5th is my birthday :D

wait, I have to pay to get in the alpha?...why?...Alpha Lite seems pretty borked

Same thing as Minecraft and Carrier Command (other Bohemia game).

You can pay ~30 bucks and get the full game as well when it's done. Think of it as a pre-order with a large discount and alpha access.

... so can you still shoot guns underwater? So much for realism.

Only certain ones, apparently. It's set in the "near future" so there is a little bit of futuristic stuff going on. Most, if not all of it, has basis in reality, though (like, in a prototype phase).

Also, not sure what you mean by "still". You never could in the other ArmA games.

This might help:

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...alities-of-war-to-the-sea-with-new-underwater

The team have also brought on board a fictional underwater weapon for these situations called an SDAR, a 6.65mm rifle based on a real-world weapon. Pull the trigger and a tracer will fly out surrounded by a puff of bubbles before reaching your target.

Am i reading that right? Arma3 full game for 25$??? Wow that is a great price!!!

Arma2 didn't come down to 25$ for a while after release and look at it now, its still hovering at 20$ (down to 15$ during the sales)..

Am i reading that right? Arma3 full game for 25$??? Wow that is a great price!!!

Arma2 didn't come down to 25$ for a while after release and look at it now, its still hovering at 20$ (down to 15$ during the sales)..

It's actually 25 Euros I believe, so it's more like ~$33 or so (assuming a straight conversion). Still, yes, amazing deal.

It's actually 25 Euros I believe, so it's more like ~$33 or so (assuming a straight conversion). Still, yes, amazing deal.

well.. hmm it might only sound like 8$ but Arma2 debuted at 39.99$ 7$ off for alpha.. have to think about that.. i guess i didn't notice the E next to the dollar value

Looks amazing. Highly anticipating this one!

Don't have the scratch for the preorder right now... Anyone feeling generous with invites, don't forget me!

I don't think I know many people to give out Alpha Lite codes to, so they'll most likely go to [H] members. I think, also, once you get an Alpha Lite invite you get another one yourself (according to the website) so we can keep the chain going.

Never got into any of the ARMA games since I was always playing something else and by the time I picked them up I was so far behind and had no idea what I was doing I'd just lose interest. This one looks pretty interesting and hopefully by getting into it from the start I can appreciate it more.

Back