• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

They've said the grenade thing is still a WIP as well, kind of just a placeholder animation/action.
 
I suggest that people set up your Stance Adjust buttons to your liking, as it is extremely useful and overall better than having a bunch of bindings for going to each one separately. The ~1s added to go Stand-Crouch-Prone instead of just Stand-Prone is negligible

Had some fun on a Free For All deathmatch server, spawned with a sniper rifle of some kind and I got used to the elevation adjustments and whatnot. After about 15minutes I was picking off people (and watching them scramble around looking for me) pretty efficiently.

I don't dare try to jump into a vehicle yet, i'm sure my controls for those are still a disaster.

One other thing of note, the game detected my xbox controller and started vibrating with the game out of nowhere, freaked me out the first time it happened.
 
A friend sent me this. I couldn't stop laughing.

t7wrH8r.gif


Oh, and my TrackIR arrives today. Can't wait to try that out in A3.
 
I'm getting my friend invite to the beta on Tuesday. Can't wait to try it out! I'm pretty sure I'm buying, just want to try it out first. Never played ArmA before.
 
I shot a guy next to a wrecked truck-hull that then ragdolled into it and promptly flew 50ft in the air.
 
I'm seriously considering getting this. Its been too long since I played any good tactical FPS game. OF Dragon Rising didn't really feel like a sim at all.

Was expecting $50 or so, but $33 looks like a really good deal. I hope the AI is good.
 
The AI seems improved, but still has it's moments. If you want a true tactical game, get this, Hornet.
 
I'm considering getting it as well. Wouldn't mind trying it first, but may just take the plunge. I really like supporting developers who don't sell out their fanbase and values (ie: Mod tools, DLC, etc).

I think they've improved (from what I've seen) a lot of stuff that hindered me in the past on enjoying the series.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the developer builds? You can set it in the Steam settings -- from stable Alpha (release) to Developer Build (which is their rapidly updated playground).
 
I was waiting for some feedback before I jumped to the developer updates.

I've already got two of my pending invites spoken, the third is still in the air. If it isn't claimed, I'll post here for you guys sitting on the fence.
 
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the developer builds? You can set it in the Steam settings -- from stable Alpha (release) to Developer Build (which is their rapidly updated playground).

I enabled it but I haven't noticed any real changes yet. I'm going to keep it on and see what happens...I've always used beta releases in the past for ArmA 2, and testing is important now more than ever in Alpha stage.
 
Oh, and my TrackIR arrives today. Can't wait to try that out in A3.

Mine doesnt work well. It does the left to right, but not in and lean yet. it will work properly in the full game, but it seems to be only partially working so far.


Anyone on the fence, this is the game you need. With the arcade crap of call of duty and battlefield, ARMA3 is a top quality product. Despite being a sim, its not intimidating and still friendly enough for new people. It can be as easy as battlefield, but when your ready to take it further, it has the ability to do more then any other game available.
The editor alone is amazing as always. Just drop youself on a map and plop down enemies and fuck shit up. Its very easy to use.
Lots of games have a few great moments, but with ARMA, the editor allows you to make your own.

With ARMA2, for shits and giggles, Ill drop 15 enemy jeeps with crew in a field, and then I give myself an abrams and tell the driver to go full tilt (80-100km/h) and just bomb around blasting motherfuckers apart. Or ill drop myself on a roof and set a convoy, or build bases whatever. The ARMA2 editor has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.
 
Yes, sometimes is just nice to sit back and watch the carnage. Granted, that is vanilla Arma 2, but the scope of having 1,700 AI assets all fighting it out is pretty awesome.
 
Mine doesnt work well. It does the left to right, but not in and lean yet. it will work properly in the full game, but it seems to be only partially working so far.


Anyone on the fence, this is the game you need. With the arcade crap of call of duty and battlefield, ARMA3 is a top quality product. Despite being a sim, its not intimidating and still friendly enough for new people. It can be as easy as battlefield, but when your ready to take it further, it has the ability to do more then any other game available.
The editor alone is amazing as always. Just drop youself on a map and plop down enemies and fuck shit up. Its very easy to use.
Lots of games have a few great moments, but with ARMA, the editor allows you to make your own.

With ARMA2, for shits and giggles, Ill drop 15 enemy jeeps with crew in a field, and then I give myself an abrams and tell the driver to go full tilt (80-100km/h) and just bomb around blasting motherfuckers apart. Or ill drop myself on a roof and set a convoy, or build bases whatever. The ARMA2 editor has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Do the vehicles allow you to have a little bit of arcade ability if you wish? That is one thing that turned me off from OF. I had to drive, or gun, or give orders. Wouldn't mind having the ability like Battlefield to drive and operate the main gun / coax. Completes the bridge between sim and fun.
 
Do the vehicles allow you to have a little bit of arcade ability if you wish? That is one thing that turned me off from OF. I had to drive, or gun, or give orders. Wouldn't mind having the ability like Battlefield to drive and operate the main gun / coax. Completes the bridge between sim and fun.

No, turrets still need to be independently operated.
 
No, turrets still need to be independently operated.

See, I don't mind that in multiplayer. Makes teamwork essential. But singleplayer could use it. Disguise it as the commander with instananeous orders.

Mind you I'm talking MBTs. Not things like jeeps and other items with mounted guns.

A lot of the mods out are really improving on the game. Such as the port of the weapon ready mod which drops your gun when close to objects. The mods that improve on the smoke and fire. Or the ShackTac team compass. Or even the dead body flies mod.

Bohemia has a huge modding community (like Dice once had), they could do something different then others by allowing crowdsourced features. Why double program or risk leaving an awesome (like the gun wall thing) feature out for the masses? Allow the Alpha mods to be included in the final builds. Maybe even have voting if it should be. Saves development time and gives back.

Could work like this:
- Mod is nominated for inclusion.
- Voting commences from community.
- If selected, dev team rep is notified and reviews.
- If dev accepts, they contact mod/team.

I'm talking feature enhancement mods. Not things like full blown conversions.
 
Last edited:
Well, they've hired modders to work on the game in the past, so I wouldn't doubt we see the same thing again. For instance, I believe they hired Smookie (guy who did the SMK mod IIRC) to do animations for them.
 
Well, they've hired modders to work on the game in the past, so I wouldn't doubt we see the same thing again. For instance, I believe they hired Smookie (guy who did the SMK mod IIRC) to do animations for them.

Yeah. It's quite common to see. Such as the DayZ guy and Trauma Studios with DICE. Just thinking about a way to crowdsource some features. Cuts development time, improves the game, and enhances the product.

Take for example the dead body flies mod. Flies gather over time. Great, realistic, mod. But we know something like that probably won't be in the actual game because it's just eyecandy.
 
This game is too much fun when you got a squad running through different missions. Also with the mods and scenario editor it impossible to run out of content.
 
Yeah. It's quite common to see. Such as the DayZ guy and Trauma Studios with DICE. Just thinking about a way to crowdsource some features. Cuts development time, improves the game, and enhances the product.

Take for example the dead body flies mod. Flies gather over time. Great, realistic, mod. But we know something like that probably won't be in the actual game because it's just eyecandy.

Yeah...and I have no problem with mods, but in ArmA 2 you could get some servers with really specific mod packs that were several gigs in size...kinda hard to handle. My ArmA 2 folder ended up being like 50 GB or something with ACE and other supplemental mods (islands are generally huge, too).

Mod support is supposed to be a lot better in ArmA 3, hopefully with potential auto-downloading of required mods and better handing of mod swapping (hopefully while in-game now without a restart?). I don't think much of that is implemented yet, but they've talked about it.



It's been discussed on the BIS forums, but there's some issues with the AI causing some major lag right now. I did a short skirmish with only 4 AI squads and it dropped the FPS by like 10-15 or more. Which would be fine if I was getting 60 in the first place, but normally I get about 25-40.
 
Looks great! Are the devs still in hotwater for that little incident they pulled going onto that military base?

Haven't read through the whole thread just yet, but in case someone else didn't already point this out...from what I understood they were never on the military base itself, they were on a 'nearby' road when they snapped a picture of themselves and one of the military buildings just happened to be in the background far off in the distance. This is why the whole 'spy' charge was totally bogus from the get-go.
 
Not to down play dslyecxi i watch loads of his videos but he does work for the arma 3 devs so they are basically just promoting their own game, and i doubt he could say any thing bad about A3 even if he wanted to.
 
This guy is excellent, has great arma2 videos. If this doesnt sell you on ARMA3...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RcbQk5VXKNE#!

Damnit, that actually did sell me on a pre-order! From the 15 mins I got to play last night trying out the Infantry and Scuba showcases...the game is stunning. I can't describe how cool it was when I heard a low rumbling sound approaching while I was underwater. I looked around for a boat or something overhead and saw nothing but the pretty sky through the surface of the water. As I swam closer to the surface the sound got much louder and there was a helicopter flying by overhead! I had speakers on instead of my usual headphones and later on my wife asked me what it was that sounded like it was "in our house!"

Not to down play dslyecxi i watch loads of his videos but he does work for the arma 3 devs so they are basically just promoting their own game, and i doubt he could say any thing bad about A3 even if he wanted to.

From their own website:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/363-arma-3-reinforced-by-community-guide-video-series

Building upon the successful launch of the much-anticipated Arma 3 Alpha, Bohemia Interactive has joined forces with one of its community members to create a series of tutorial videos.

Over the next couple of weeks, Andrew Gluck - better known as Dslyecxi from the Arma community group ShackTactical – will introduce players to Arma 3 and share tips on topics like infantry combat, co-operative multiplayer and mission editing. The first video, which was just released, takes a more general look at Arma 3 and illustrates the authenticity, diversity and opportunity at the heart of Bohemia Interactive’s tactical military shooter.
 
Yeah, I would say Dslyecxi works with the devs, not for them.

ya ok i could have worded it better. my point was he wouldn't point out any thing bad even if there was a problem. like the terrible grenade mechanics. (even if its just a place. holder) so don't think its a review. Though its a good intro to arma 3 mechanics.
 
ya ok i could have worded it better. my point was he wouldn't point out any thing bad even if there was a problem. like the terrible grenade mechanics. (even if its just a place. holder) so don't think its a review. Though its a good intro to arma 3 mechanics.

Speaking of grenade mechanics, you should go watch his video regarding that from ArmA 2. He talks about how shit the ArmA 2 grenade mechanics are and offers ways to improve them, along with a little demo thing that he wrote up to demonstrate possibilities.

He's obviously a hardcore fan but you can tell from his ArmA 3 reviews that he wasn't happy with the way a lot of ArmA 2 mechanics were, and is pleased that ArmA 3 is taking steps to solve those issues.
 
Has anyone figured out a way to enable mouse-steer for ground vehicles? That was a nice component to Arma 2 that seems to be oddly missing in this one.
 
I think they are still adding in those features...one of the recent developer builds said something about integrating ArmA 2 OA and TOH mechanics into ArmA 3.
 
Pretty sure he works for them on another project, and works with them on arma 3

Oh, right...he works on VBS stuff I think, or at least he has in the past. I think it was mostly scripting.
 
I haven't tried using mouse steering in vehicles yet, but I've heard the sensitivity is borked, it's super low so it might just not appear to be working.

The aiming deadzone doesn't work properly either, when you move your gun far enough to the side to turn, the sensitivity is very low and you have to fight it, while inside the deadzone it seems higher than normal.
 
Anyone found any really good missions to play? I see they've started porting Wasteland but the servers always seem full.
 
I should be getting an invite to the Alpha today... Then I can jump in, give it a shot, and promptly hand over $35.
 
...dang... I was so hopeful. It's ok though, I have so much work to do right now... sigh... work.
 
Back
Top