• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

Only certain guns have the ability to fire underwater, and I think the default guns are capable of this right now.
 
Anyone wanna hook me up with a lite? If I like it, I'll buy the game and regift the invites back here. Pay it forward.

SteamID: Kyle_K29
 
I think it's where the children role play, just like dayz. Doesn't belong in arma whatever it is.

pretty sure children dont have the attention span to role play inside a game.

and thats the most hypocritical post ive seen in awhile.

Arma is all about role play you are playing the role of a soldier in the most realistic way possible in a game.

playing arma is role playing even if you are playing by your self.

the game is built around being even more role play than that tho from the squad orders to the formation and group / tactical role playing.

Vanilla Arma has more intentional role play elements than most other fps's combined.
 
How can people say this game is realistic if it allows you to shoot underwater?
Some weapons can fire underwater, and some are designed specifically to fire underwater.

I have one or possibly two spare invites. I'll try to get those to whoever needs them within the next couple days. No PMs, please.
 
I can toss up a private host if we need it. I don't own the game, so I'm not sure if that's a showstopper or not
 
I will give all 3 keys away for lite here at hard. If you ever been a dick don't ask. Otherwise pm me and I will send to first 3 when I get home in 2 hours time.
 
I'm currently playing Arma 2 with the DayZ mod, it's pretty fun. So far the screenshots look really nice, I'm hoping they fix a bunch of the flaws from Arma 2
 
I tried the alpha release, i just couldn't get used to it. just plays different from bf or cod.
 
My finding while playing through the troll version, er I mean alpha lite version

things I like about the gameplay:
leaning, prone positioning, rolling and sprinting, the scale of the environment/models

Things I don't like about it:
toggled movement and aiming
highlighted bracketed enemies
no animations (disabling those mines was laughably bad)
toggled movement and aiming
recoil seems to be exaggerated much
toggled movement and aiming
Instant grenade throws ala halo, should be selected first
generic sounding chatter
toggled movement and aiming
and toggled movement and aiming

Why do tactical shooters always force toggled crouching, prone positioning, aiming/scoping on you? Do the dev's think somehow that makes it more realistic?... because it doesn't. My biggest peeve in all shooters is toggle aiming/scoping, I cant stand it! I don't mind a toggled prone as much but sometimes I'd like to be able to just drop to a knee quickly, pop a few shots off and be on my way without having to stance up/stance down. Options are always nice.
 
Other than toggled movement and aiming, pretty much all of your concerns are due to it being Alpha and not having all the content available yet.

I've personally never had a problem with toggled movement and aiming in ArmA...it seems to work well for this game IMO. Keep in mind it's not a fast-paced shooter like BF3.
 
The problem with having hold options in Arma is that there are six different stances and four (I believe) movement speeds. Having hold options might work, but there'd be some significant finger contortion to make that work. Toggling keeps your fingers available for other tasks, which you'll probably end up needing in a hairy situation.
 
how and what does it do? Because I see an adjust option in the movement tab bound to left ctrl but it doesn't do anything. :confused:

Well, there are many options. First you have X and Z. Those toggle crouch and prone respectively. Within crouch and prone you can move regular speed and fast speed with shift.

There is also Stance Adjust. I don't know what the default is for that offhand.

You also have C. C toggles combat speed.

You also have W+S. This toggles your movement speed while not running (holding shift).

There is basically a bunch of different options for how you move.

This is a relatively good description.
http://dslyecxi.com/arma-3/arma3-alpha-controls/
 
I'm not really a huge fan of the W+S to toggle to walking speed, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

EDIT: Actually, I think the reason why I don't like it is that when you are holding W, and tap S to go to walk, your character makes a full stop for a brief moment before walking. If they made it a smooth transition to walk if you continue to hold W, I would be a lot more okay with it.
 
Ok, thanks. that's kinda neat. Ctrl is way to awkward though, gonna set it as CAPS and play around with it for a bit.
 
While it is taking some time to get used to, the new complexity of movement is necessary to truly give the flexibility needed within the Arma environments, something that was lacking in prior iterations. I like it a lot better than the "sticky wall" concept console shooters rely on.
 
Yeah, the incremental stances are an awesome addition...can't even count the number of times I've wanted to crouch behind a wall and fire, but the wall was just slightly too high to aim over.

You really don't even need to use the incremental stances unless you're in one of those situations, so I don't think it hampers the flow of gameplay much if at all.
 
Fuck this is annoying. Anyone else with specs in my sig have wasteland servers crash on you ALL the time?
 
Yeah, the incremental stances are an awesome addition...can't even count the number of times I've wanted to crouch behind a wall and fire, but the wall was just slightly too high to aim over.

You really don't even need to use the incremental stances unless you're in one of those situations, so I don't think it hampers the flow of gameplay much if at all.

i couldn't agree more. imo its the best part of A3. you can finally shoot over fcking large hesco's!!
 
The 30minutes or so of re-keybinding / testing the setup is vital to this game, it's a shame they don't make a UI specifically for configuring it and showing you how it works (split screen with a keyboard on screen, allowing you to see what changes you are making)...
 
True, although the field manual actually seemed to explain most things rather well, especially the stuff that's changed from Arma2.
 
I didn't really have to rebind all that many keys. Like less than 10 probably, and that was mostly personal preference. The default keys would be fine for the most part for a new player IMO.
 
I didn't change my bindings at all, didn't really see the need. though i am going to change the scope to secondary optics button. since it seems to be a bit cumbersome to me.
 
Really the only things I've changed are setting some commands to my side mouse buttons, changed the grenade key, and I still need to do it but I'm going to change the W+S walking thing as Dyslexci described.
 
Anyone try a G13 or equal yet? I'd assume that would help out. It'd be especially useful if you can get the joystick to function as the movement (incremental up for walk, full up for sprint, etc).

I know dscylexia (sp) posted a video on using combat pedals for leaning, iirc. I have a pair, might try that out too. Said it made leaning much more useful in fast paced situations, since you just use your feet. They used the brake for something else, I forgot what.
 
anyone else think the sprinting looks extremely retarded? haha

I also don't like the fast zoom. like, when I hold the left mouse button it quick cuts to zoom, as opposed to slowly zooming in like arma 2

small gripes aside (im extremely stoned), I think it's a winner


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
Lol...Yeah, the sprinting animation is a little weird. Like, the butt shakes too much or something? Not sure.
 
Especially running down a slight incline. Its like he's running on his tiptoes. looks weird as hell
 
Back
Top