ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

Very promising. If you have any interest at all, I would recommend buying...$32 for Alpha/Beta access and the final game is a great deal IMO.

You could also wait for the Alpha Lite keys to flow out on March 14th. I'm sure many of us here will be giving them out to [H] members.

Very promising. If you have any interest at all, I would recommend buying...$32 for Alpha/Beta access and the final game is a great deal IMO.

You could also wait for the Alpha Lite keys to flow out on March 14th. I'm sure many of us here will be giving them out to [H] members.

what are you doing in the Alpha exactly? multiplayer only? and I am assuming it's not modded yet so combat simulation?

I was playing the wasteland mod for ARMA 3 last night and boy was I having a blast!!!! My main concern is performance. running i7-940, 6 gigs ram, GTX 480 and I never really go above 20FPS which is the worst part!

what are you doing in the Alpha exactly? multiplayer only? and I am assuming it's not modded yet so combat simulation?

So far just dicking around in SP, really. Haven't had much of a chance to dig into it yet.

For people with low performance, I've been reading that disabling VSync or changing an .ini setting might help with framerate. From the forums:

Dwarden said:
* arma 2/oa/a3 buffering system is different to normal double buffering so forcing triple buffering may result into unforseen consequences
instead try in arma3.cfg change
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
to value to 2 of 1 (3 is driver default and 0 equals 3), it will help with mouse responsiveness but remember it might decrease fps

Will give it a shot when I get home. I always use D3DOverrider for triple buffering and so far it's always worked fine, but maybe ArmA 3 has a problem with it. Not sure.

I was playing the wasteland mod for ARMA 3 last night and boy was I having a blast!!!! My main concern is performance. running i7-940, 6 gigs ram, GTX 480 and I never really go above 20FPS which is the worst part!

sounds like it already runs better then arma 2 haha.

its that crazy view distance, pretty much no other game can match it

Yeah, there's already an early CBA and a few mods.

I bet the overall scripting/formats are not that different in this game from ArmA 2. It's not like they designed a totally new engine from the ground up (though in some ways, maybe they should have for better multi-core support).

Stupid question here but if you pay to play the alpha right now does that mean you are automatically get the full version when it comes out?

Stupid question here but if you pay to play the alpha right now does that mean you are automatically get the full version when it comes out?

Yes. You get the beta access and full game.

I noticed the movement/gunplay looks vastly improved on the videos. That's what kept me out of enjoying Arma2, I just couldn't get used it.

Compared to the fluidness of BF3's gunplay (one thing I felt DICE did a decent job of), on par? Better? I don't mind supporting Bohemia because they never sold out.

Wish DICE would learn to add the lean stuff.

And btw, rumor is that the "lite" invites come with an invite for the invitee. So they can then pass it on. With that in mind, we ALL could get in on this :)

I wouldn't say it's quite as smooth as BF3 in terms of movement/animation, but it's greatly improved over ArmA 2.

Hahaha! Yeah, that seems to be the biggest hurdle for veteran players just starting out. I died twice on the start of my hosted coop mission because players joining were trying to check their gear.

Speaking of gear, the new system while still holding a steep learning curve, is far more versatile. I am very much digging it.

I'll try and get a vid up tonight of all it's features. :D

Hahaha! Yeah, that seems to be the biggest hurdle for veteran players just starting out. I died twice on the start of my hosted coop mission because players joining were trying to check their gear.

How is coop? I used to love coop in R6/GhostRecon (pre-Ubibastardization).

TONS of fun, especially with a good crew and some of the mods that will surely be ported over (ACE and ACRE).

Got all my controls tight now...wow, loving it already. I'm going to have to start browsing for a group to play with of some kind...been so long..

The awesome thing about ArmA 3 is that when ACE gets ported over, you won't have to have like 80 guns in a crate any longer covering all of the variants, with the new optics/attachments system. :D

I didn't even think of that aspect, Mav. Wow...

I am really hoping the armored vehicle mechanics have been boosted too although the Ifrit exhibits the same damage model we're used to. We won't know for sure for a while though.

The other thing I'd love to see is a remake of the JTD fire and smoke effect mod. The alpha's effects are improved, but still nowhere near what that mod provided.

Last edited:
Please post any performance tweaks or configs please. Playing below 20FPS is the only thing driving me crazy. Otherwise this is my game of the year!

I'm hoping vehicle physics/damage are still a WIP...I'm guessing that's the case.

And I loved JTD Fire and Smoke as well, would love to see that return. Or at least something like WarFX/Blastcore.

I should have bought this Alpha instead of SimCity, which it turns out, works worse than an alpha!

lol, no kidding. I just played a round of coop where all 10 of my team was running around with no pants.

Definitely.

Been playing around a bit more, performance is okay, manage to get okay performance at around 3500 VD, ~2000 Object VD or so. Hopefully more optimization in store, but it's okay for now (some of the missions seem laggy for no reason).

I didn't even think of that aspect, Mav. Wow...

I am really hoping the armored vehicle mechanics have been boosted too although the Ifrit exhibits the same damage model we're used to. We won't know for sure for a while though.

The other thing I'd love to see is a remake of the JTD fire and smoke effect mod. The alpha's effects are improved, but still nowhere near what that mod provided.

Fire/explosions/smoke are abysmal in Arma3 alpha, lets be honest. Not concerned yet though since I realize alpha =/= demo

lol, no kidding. I just played a round of coop where all 10 of my team was running around with no pants.

I'm pretty sure if they leave underwear mode in then thats all anyone's ever going to wear in any pub game because they think they're amusing everyone.

New inventory/gear system seems like an improvement but there's still a little bit of a learning curve. For instance, some items don't seem to store in certain things, sometimes you can't pick up uniforms, etc. Could just be bugs.

anyone get their "friend" keys yet so i can get in and try this when the free alpha starts an a week. or are they sending those out same day as that alpha goes.

anyone get their "friend" keys yet so i can get in and try this when the free alpha starts an a week. or are they sending those out same day as that alpha goes.

March 14th for the Alpha Lite. I'll have some keys to give out for it then. ;)

Slightly but it's still the same old Operation Flashpoint:Cold War Crisis/Arma 1/2 clunky business with updated visuals.

That's doing the game a huge disservice, IMO. It's not completely different, but the interface is much improved, as are the animations and movement.

I'd really like to play. I made the mistake of spending my money on SimCity, now I wish I would have gotten Arma 3 or Tomb Raider. Will have to wait till next month to get them now!

I can't tell if i like the new grenade throw mechanic its kinda nice and way less buggy but you can't toss over walls very well.

Is it just me or did they make the compass smaller i can barely read off headings.

Back