• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

I am seriously considering paying the cheaper buy in at $33 and having access to Alpha, Beta and a full retail copy of the finished game. That's great pricing.
 
I am seriously considering paying the cheaper buy in at $33 and having access to Alpha, Beta and a full retail copy of the finished game. That's great pricing.

I'm thinking this as well.. That or the digital deluxe on steam. Really I see ZERO reason for the supporter pack if money is remotely tight, unless you don't have the original.
 
Yeah, the Supporter Pack is a little overpriced IMO. Should be more like $65-75.
 
I wouldn't count on that...only been 3 for ArmA 2 and they weren't super amazing, unfortunately.
 
Also, just as a heads-up for you guys, if you buy from the BIS Store you are giving more money to the developers, and since ArmA 3 is going to be a Steamworks title, you get a Steam key regardless of where you purchase.
 
Also, just as a heads-up for you guys, if you buy from the BIS Store you are giving more money to the developers, and since ArmA 3 is going to be a Steamworks title, you get a Steam key regardless of where you purchase.

That's a good point!
 
I don't think I know many people to give out Alpha Lite codes to, so they'll most likely go to [H] members. I think, also, once you get an Alpha Lite invite you get another one yourself (according to the website) so we can keep the chain going.

I'll take one if you'll have a spare. I want to try it out first... then I might buy the full game while its cheap. Then I can pass along another Lite invite. :)

Regardless, nice to see it finally shaping up. Hopefully this will greatly improve on the 2nd game. Both ArmA 3 and Takedown this year. Good year to be a tactical shooter fan.
 
I was contemplating the Supporter Addition until I hovered over the question mark for the "ALL FUTURE ARMA3 DLCs" benefit. It states, "If any, does not apply to standalone expansions or sequels." So, no guarantee there.
 
Keep in mind an alpha test =/= demo

arma has one of the most active mod communities of any game ever, so you can bet your ass that after a few weeks there will be plenty of content added and content improved.
 
arma has one of the most active mod communities of any game ever, so you can bet your ass that after a few weeks there will be plenty of content added and content improved.

For the Alpha? Maybe, but I do not think many people will do very much serious modding on an Alpha build.
 
That depends on the quality of the tools available. I'm sure many serious Arma modders will get started right away, assuming the tools are actually made available at the same time as the alpha.

"If any, does not apply to standalone expansions or sequels." So, no guarantee there.
Odd wording. "Standalone expansion" would seem like an oxymoron, no?

I think this one may deserve some clarification.
 
Well, look at Operation Arrowhead. That's a "standalone expansion". As in, you can play it without ArmA 2, but if you have ArmA 2 you can add all the assets from that game to create Combined Operations.

DLCs would be like PMC, BAF, and ACR...unit/mission/weapon content packs, not standalone releases.

As for modding...the community is chomping at the bit to start modding and creating missions in this game. I bet we'll see a lot of mods spring up within the next month or so.
 
I was contemplating the Supporter Addition until I hovered over the question mark for the "ALL FUTURE ARMA3 DLCs" benefit. It states, "If any, does not apply to standalone expansions or sequels." So, no guarantee there.

I'd like to know why they aren't giving real maps this time. Arma 2 came with them when you pre-ordered. I don't really see anything special between the deluxe and supporter editions. I couldn't care less if my name was in the credits.
 
Yeah, IMO the Digital Deluxe and up should come with physical maps.
 
ive had track ir for awhile and really looking forward to using it arma 3.
 
If they end up with 4-6 DLC over the next few years its not that bad.

Note that it only covers A3 DLC's only (Think PMC/BAF/ACR) and not separate expansions like Arrowhead.

It's quite misleading unless you read the fine print.

I've preordered a physical copy so I'll get the cheap version :)
 
Took 45 minutes to actually buy it, downloaded in 11, played for about 30 minutes. A lot of Arma/Arma 2 remains, but there are some nice changes so far. Played a little coop, barely got to try the vehicles. Overall, I am excited to try it more.
 
I love the new stances. high stand normal an low. same for crouch and prone. this really fixes the issues with trying to shoot over something without having to fully stand.

i also like they added combat pace so you can move quickly while you are aiming. plus there is now fast normal and slow crouch and prone.

and how wearing a plate carrier will actually give you protection.

and last but not least. THEY FIXED THE GOD. DAMN MOUSE LAG!
 
Animations are better in some areas but definitely need improvement (hey, it's an alpha). AI seem to "hitch" when hit. Rag doll is super basic, guys will fold over in half backwards. I agree with shifty68's comments about the stances and movement speed. Definitely an improvement. In my limited playing I did not see a way to brace weapons, like the bipod equipped SAWs.

Graphics seem a touch improved over Arma 2's. I am running a GTX 670 4GB with the settings at 2560x1600 and most options on Very High or Ultra. The rates are acceptable to me but I haven't reached any heavily built up areas. Some of the colors do seem rather overblown, even with HDR off.

I haven't seen where invites are handled. Nothing appeared in Steam so I assume it is either forthcoming or handled by BI directly.
 
Animations are better in some areas but definitely need improvement (hey, it's an alpha). AI seem to "hitch" when hit. Rag doll is super basic, guys will fold over in half backwards. I agree with shifty68's comments about the stances and movement speed. Definitely an improvement. In my limited playing I did not see a way to brace weapons, like the bipod equipped SAWs.

Graphics seem a touch improved over Arma 2's. I am running a GTX 670 4GB with the settings at 2560x1600 and most options on Very High or Ultra. The rates are acceptable to me but I haven't reached any heavily built up areas. Some of the colors do seem rather overblown, even with HDR off.

I haven't seen where invites are handled. Nothing appeared in Steam so I assume it is either forthcoming or handled by BI directly.

Invites don't come out until March 14.
 
I would have hoped that would be getting sorted out by now.

Sitting at work, thinking about playing more. It's torture. :D
 
Well, they have until 6 PM PST or so (when I get home from work) to fix it. Otherwise, gonna have to go Steam Store.
 
I have found that bad ragdoll is often more fun than good ragdoll at least from a hilarity standpoint. the same goes for physics.
 
Speaking of which, has anyone tried the physics on the vehicles to see if the super bouncy tendencies of old are gone?
 
My guess is that physics implementation isn't complete. I think PhysX implementation was one of the more recent things they've done, or at least switching from 2.0 to 3.0 or something like that.
 
I'm hoping they introduce Oculus Rift support at some point. I can't imagine a more perfect fit for that kind of hardware than this type of game.
 
I'm hoping setting up controls won't be so difficult this time around. Being a lefty, i'm already rebinding a large amount of keys, but in a game like this I end up having touch every-single-binding just to get things straight.
 
Back
Top