ArmA 3 - Alpha release March 5th!!

So, this worth getting? Looked pretty great from videos I've seen. Is there third person still, or? Didn't see any third person in the videos I've watched on YouTube.

There is third person, but most of the "hardcore" players disable it on their servers (it is pretty cheap).

To answer your question, I certainly think it's worth getting at this price. I would send you an Alpha Lite so you could try it out, but I don't have any more keys. Maybe someone else around here can help you out?

I still have one arma lite key available, if you pm me your steam ID I can send it out tonight. Bih115

MavericK96 said:
There is third person, but most of the "hardcore" players disable it on their servers (it is pretty cheap).

To answer your question, I certainly think it's worth getting at this price. I would send you an Alpha Lite so you could try it out, but I don't have any more keys. Maybe someone else around here can help you out?

I completely agree about the cheapness of third person.

unfortunately, I get serious motion sickness in first person. way too much shaking :/

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Yeah, I always turned off head bob in ArmA 2 (or at least down to a minimal level). I guess it's supposed to be more "realistic" but it gave me a headache, too.

havent got half the time i would have liked to play the alpha yet, but its still the tits.

I have a few lite keys to gift. PM me

havent got half the time i would have liked to play the alpha yet, but its still the tits.

I have a few lite keys to gift. PM me

Ill take one please! pm otw

add me on steam too: FearHeldDear

*Sigh* At about 75% @ 19 hours in Tomb Raider and I wanna complete it before I really give myself to the Alpha. I already sent one Alpha lite to a friend who just downloaded it, can't wait to get with some more friends for the whole tactical thing.

Droc hasn't replied to my pm.. does anyone have a key. i really wanted to play this today :D

Last edited:
I have 1 key left it looks like. The two people I promised I will have your keys to you in the next hour. Thanks. Please PM me if you need a key.....i doubt it will last long

I also have some alpha invite keys available if anyone is interested. Send me a PM if you want one and I'll get it to you by this afternoon/evening (EST).

Edit: Two people just requested invites, I have one left. Those two who requested the invites, I'll get it to you later today.

Last edited:
Sounds like there is a decent-sized official (i.e. non-dev build) update coming for the Alpha tomorrow.

Sounds like there is a decent-sized official (i.e. non-dev build) update coming for the Alpha tomorrow.

They release the patch notes yet?

I keep checking armaholics every day in hopes of seeing a ace and or acre release. i can't wait till they come out.

one thing i am going to miss from previous arma's is all the old school opfor weapons they are the weapons that i had the most fun with.

I expect there'll be considerable interest in mod authors building new weapons now that they're significantly more modular.

Just picked up a TrackIR 5 unit and ebay'd a Saitek X52 Pro flight stick. Tried out the TrackIR 5 the other day and it's definitely cool, especially in the helicopters. Have to wait until tonight to try out the flight stick though!

Anyone else using any gadgetry while playing any of the ArmA games?

I expect there'll be considerable interest in mod authors building new weapons now that they're significantly more modular.

Well ya ace will probably add a huge amount. But i just wish they would include all the classic stuff and not just post modern/futuristic stuff in the main game.

I think a few of us use TrackIR. I haven't used mine a whole lot because I think I need to re-configure it for ArmA 3...it doesn't quite "feel" the same as in ArmA 2, even on the same settings. I have a Saitek X-45 but I don't really use it TBH...I can fly helos just fine with mouse and keyboard, but for jets it's a little bit harder to use M/KB so I might try it for that. I've considered just getting a cheap joystick for flying since you really don't need a HOTAS setup for this game (it's not THAT intense of a flight sim).

Well ya ace will probably add a huge amount. But i just wish they would include all the classic stuff and not just post modern/futuristic stuff in the main game.

I'm sure people will mod it in. There's already an M4 mod out.

Just picked up a TrackIR 5 unit and ebay'd a Saitek X52 Pro flight stick. Tried out the TrackIR 5 the other day and it's definitely cool, especially in the helicopters. Have to wait until tonight to try out the flight stick though!

Anyone else using any gadgetry while playing any of the ArmA games?

i have track ir 5, and use thrustmaster T.16000M joystick

Track ir takes some getting use too but its really nice, although flying in first person im having a little issue with because the missle and machinegun mounts dont swivel at all with where you are looking and it moves the HUD with where you are looking so it completely removes your aimpoint when looking around.

i think they need a fixed HUD for first person mode while flying and not use helmet mounted HUD if the weapon system wont track with where you are looking. atm i find my self disabling track ir with the hotkey when i go do an attack run and hit it again when im done firing so i can free look again. which is a hassle i should not need to do.

There's no Multiplayer in the Lite version. Its still worth trying... the helicopter with mouse and keyboard is insane hard difficulty lol

I always found a 360 gamepad to work very well with helicopters myself in Arma2, though I haven't tried the Arma3 helos yet.

So far it's the same flight model as ArmA 2, so...

I hear they are going to implement the ToH model eventually, though.

The issue is bringing the animations, sounds and similar up to par. It will be rather difficult, though in time I am sure we will get at least a few quality real world weapons. The current M4 mod lacks animations and has the players hand clipping through the weapon 3D model. Essentially, half of the improvements brought in with ArmA 3 are not in. Which kills the quality as for the most part it is at subpar ArmA 2 level.

Again, maybe with time it will get better... though I was hoping ArmA 3 would be a game that I did not have to run with a bunch of mods out of the box.

For what it is worth, there are two real world weapons, the Tavor and the Walther P99. The Tavor is using a fictional ammo type but it seems to have similar properties to 5.56.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the Alpha has a tiny amount of content compared to what the full game will have. Let's wait and see the final release before we talk about not having enough weapons and whatnot.

There have been rumblings of porting ArmA 2 content over in an official capacity, as well.

Oh, and it looks like they found some major issues with the release candidate update so they are postponing the main branch update until after the weekend.

For what it is worth, there are two real world weapons, the Tavor and the Walther P99. The Tavor is using a fictional ammo type but it seems to have similar properties to 5.56.

im torn between building a new rig to play ARMA 3 or saving a bit more to buy the Tavor Flattop or STAR. Ive seen websites that sell it for as low as 1600 bucks :D

Keep in mind the Alpha has a tiny amount of content compared to what the full game will have. Let's wait and see the final release before we talk about not having enough weapons and whatnot.

There have been rumblings of porting ArmA 2 content over in an official capacity, as well.

I'm sure there will be plenty of weapons, but it is real world weapons some are concerned about. To me, I find fictional weapons in a realistic game rather dull and out of place. If they can port some ArmA 2 weapons with ArmA 3 style quality, then I would be pleased!

im torn between building a new rig to play ARMA 3 or saving a bit more to buy the Tavor Flattop or STAR. Ive seen websites that sell it for as low as 1600 bucks :D

Get both. Or, get a Tavor, wait until ArmA 3's official release (~ 6 months?) and buy next generations hardware.

The issue is bringing the animations, sounds and similar up to par. It will be rather difficult, though in time I am sure we will get at least a few quality real world weapons. The current M4 mod lacks animations and has the players hand clipping through the weapon 3D model. Essentially, half of the improvements brought in with ArmA 3 are not in. Which kills the quality as for the most part it is at subpar ArmA 2 level.

Again, maybe with time it will get better... though I was hoping ArmA 3 would be a game that I did not have to run with a bunch of mods out of the box.

Why so few real world? Trademarks? I've seen a lot of games do that with HK weapons.

Why so few real world? Trademarks? I've seen a lot of games do that with HK weapons.

The game is set in the future. So, fictional weapons are in the game. Some real world, but with fictional modifications.

I would have preferred a contemporary setting or a 70-80s Cold War setting.

i got the alpha lite , and i have to say im impressed by it. I might have to grab the full alpha! flying the chopper is reaaaallly rewarding when you do it right.

Back