• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

ARC Raiders by former EA exec Patrick Söderlund

After playing some more really enjoying solo a lot more. You get the hang of it after a few rounds and have to be much more stealthy compared to playing with a group. Loving that I can enjoy the gameplay both with friends and on my own.
 
thats kinda the game play loop of extraction shooters, yes.
there is quests, there is upgrading your base to make life easier on you.
the main thing is the thrill though, its a crazy adrenaline spike to extract with good gear, getting out by a hairs breadth.

cant really explain it better, has to be experienced.
i first felt it with the day z mod for arma back in 2013, sneaking around, being scared like shit of everything

edit:

the gameplay can also be very varied. sneak around, go in with minimal gear, trying to pull a crazy heist.

go in loud, shoot at everyone and everything, equip a good gun with a good shield for combat.

and everything in between
If that's it, I just don't get it. Seems like you're just constantly grinding up against a wall.
 
some like the tension of a narrow escape, others like the endless beatings in soulslikes, to each their own...
 
People like risk/reward I guess. For me, it feels like I've wasted my limited gaming time if I fail a run and lose progress. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
1762297204033.png
 
does this game have sbmm? I'm wondering if I'm gonna get wrecked if I start playing in a month or two?
 
does this game have sbmm? I'm wondering if I'm gonna get wrecked if I start playing in a month or two?
No, but also don't think its necessary at all for this game. I've come across far more "nice" players, as a solo player, after moving on from "starting" area. While it can be somewhat the wild west, I think its a bit over exaggerated from content clips on the danger. It's always present, but it's not non-stop persistent. I've taken out folks with much higher level gear than me with the free kit. Situational awareness is really the main theme. I'll even need one piece of loot or other to complete a quest im focused on and do a 3-5 min run just for it and extract as well. Just modify strategy for what your goal is. The free kit is really solid TBH for running early on. I honestly enjoy the fact I can play this in very short sessions and get satisfaction of completing something and making progress, small or large. You can completely manage your own risk/reward.
 
Well, can't recall the last game I bought, but just bought this one, since it has platinum reviews on protonDB, works flawless so far for me under Linux.
 
Played my first few matches. Seems a little bit boring so far. Not many people in the world and the ones I do run across all seem to be friendly and minding their own business. It feels like a locker opening simulator. Maybe I need to start shooting people to introduce some chaos.
 
Played my first few matches. Seems a little bit boring so far. Not many people in the world and the ones I do run across all seem to be friendly and minding their own business. It feels like a locker opening simulator. Maybe I need to start shooting people to introduce some chaos.
Sadly, that's solo right now. Everyone running around and doing quests and yelling "friendly!"

If you want some excitement, go join randoms in duos or trios. Nobody is friendly in those. It's pretty much shoot on sight.
 
Sadly, that's solo right now. Everyone running around and doing quests and yelling "friendly!"
Played my first few matches. Seems a little bit boring so far. Not many people in the world and the ones I do run across all seem to be friendly and minding their own business. It feels like a locker opening simulator. Maybe I need to start shooting people to introduce some chaos.

This is why they should just make an offline PvE mode, lol.
 
Sadly, that's solo right now. Everyone running around and doing quests and yelling "friendly!"

If you want some excitement, go join randoms in duos or trios. Nobody is friendly in those. It's pretty much shoot on sight.

This is the beauty of this game. If can decide how you want to play it each time to load into a map. Go solo and just try and loot complete quests, or take out other players for their loot. The choice is yours
 
This is the beauty of this game. If can decide how you want to play it each time to load into a map. Go solo and just try and loot complete quests, or take out other players for their loot. The choice is yours
Exactly this. You make the game how you want to play it. I wouldn't have bought this game if it was PVE. Completely guts what makes it worth playing imo.
 
Had someone get shot at after, he turned my direction and killed me even when I told him it wasn't me and his behind a barrier instead of firing back to maybe team up against the real aggressor.

No, this dumb fucker kept shooting me and he is real lucky there is no way to hunt down fellow players because I would spend hours hunting his stupid ass.

I also learned quickly that the pocket should be utilized as I lost my first blueprint to forgetting to pocketing it then falling off the damn control tower.

Overall good fun.
 
This is the beauty of this game. If can decide how you want to play it each time to load into a map. Go solo and just try and loot complete quests, or take out other players for their loot. The choice is yours
You don't get to decide whether or not you get randomly ganked by some asshole, though. I think that's why people are calling for PvE.

I mean shit, Tarkov eventually added a PvE mode, clearly there was demand for it.

It's interesting watching the two sides of this debate.
 
Ill be honest, the game looks fun. The pvp side of it is why I haven't bought it. I don't feel they should change what they wanted to make, but if they added a pve option I would likely buy it.

It's Hunt Showdown. Same thing for me, the other people were what pushed me away.

Simply it just isn't the game for me but glad it is a success.
 
I think if they added some kind of safe guard for extraction sites it would help quite a bit. Currently as a solo you have to spend 4 or 5 seconds using the console and griefers can shoot you in the back after acting friendly. So you now either are almost forced to kill other players or roll the dice that one out of however times you will have wasted 20 minutes.
 
I don't feel they should change what they wanted to make, but if they added a pve option I would likely buy it.

People like to use the excuse "the devs tried PVE and said it was boring."

I really don't understand that excuse though. If PVE is boring then that's a dev problem. You need to go back to the drawing board and make it interesting. Helldivers 2 made engaging PVE so why can't Arc Raiders?

Secondly, a vast majority of solo players are playing it as a PVE game, so clearly there's interest. It's almost as if the dev(s) who said it was boring aren't representative of the entire gaming community.
 
People like to use the excuse "the devs tried PVE and said it was boring."

I really don't understand that excuse though. If PVE is boring then that's a dev problem. You need to go back to the drawing board and make it interesting. Helldivers 2 made engaging PVE so why can't Arc Raiders?

Secondly, a vast majority of solo players are playing it as a PVE game, so clearly there's interest. It's almost as if the dev(s) who said it was boring aren't representative of the entire gaming community.
I do feel like it is a low hanging fruit for them to grab more players. I wonder if the fear is if they add pve would more shift to that side? I wouldnt know, but if it did, who cares long as they are paying and playing.
 
For me, I do like the possibility that I could get mowed down at anytime, keeps me on my toes and far more stealthy when trying to extract...

Friend noted it seems now too that the game has been out for a week, Dam seems to be the most common PvP map as all the "n00bs' are on it, where as other maps you are getting more established players so your chances of just freely mowing someone down are less.
 
I do feel like it is a low hanging fruit for them to grab more players. I wonder if the fear is if they add pve would more shift to that side? I wouldnt know, but if it did, who cares long as they are paying and playing.
Why can't it simply be the game was designed from the ground up to be PvPvE. Period.

Why make things more complicated than that? Why read into things and make false assumptions?

Secondly, a vast majority of solo players are playing it as a PVE game, so clearly there's interest. It's almost as if the dev(s) who said it was boring aren't representative of the entire gaming community.
That's not entirely true. It depends on the region and time of day. In the early hours of NA, I think what you state might be true. In the waning hours of the day, that's completely false. People coming home from work want to blow off some steam, so they'll take it out on others. Solos is a completely different experience at nights vs days. And once people do all the quests or get bored, it will go back to being PvP regardless.

I'm always going to side with the developer vs the community because I've seen too many games ruined because the devs caved into what the community wanted.

And the PvE voice is actually a very small voice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FRZ
like this
Why can't it simply be the game was designed from the ground up to be PvPvE. Period.

Why make things more complicated than that? Why read into things and make false assumptions?
If you read up my stance was that. I am not pushing for it, currently it just isn't the game for me and I am fine with that. Was just making conversation, all we have is assumptions since none of the dev team afaik is in this thread.
 
In the waning hours of the day, that's completely false. People coming home from work want to blow off some steam, so they'll take it out on others.
I only play in the waning hours of the day and I've encountered far more friends than foe.

That being said, I've only played the dam map so far. So maybe that map is friendlier (yet MrGuvernment says the opposite so I don't know what to believe).

I don't think this is the kind of game to let off steam (at least not solos). BF6 does a much better job of that since you're always in the action.
 
At the end of the day, the game is a raging success for the devs. I doubt they'll be making any drastic changes in the near future.
 
I only play in the waning hours of the day and I've encountered far more friends than foe.

That being said, I've only played the dam map so far. So maybe that map is friendlier (yet MrGuvernment says the opposite so I don't know what to believe).

I don't think this is the kind of game to let off steam (at least not solos). BF6 does a much better job of that since you're always in the action.
I will admit that since The Matriarch has been introduced, players have effectively teamed up to make taking it down easier. But, scummy people still exist and if given half a chance will pry any loot off your dead corpse despite any temporary alliance. Basically, YMMV.

This game doesn't need any drastic changes. Whatever they are doing, it just works.
 
Last edited:
At the end of the day, the game is a raging success for the devs.
Both of The Division games were also a raging success at the start selling over 10 mil copies each. They quickly also became a raging failure once a couple months passed and the casuals completed most of the PvE content. They tried the PvPvE content, begged the devs for a PvE only version of the PvPvE zones (which had enjoyable endgame PvE), Devs said no, playerbase quit en masse. That was the end of that playerbase.

Anytime someone says 'dude this PvPvE game is a raging success' - if they mean sales wise sure, congrats to the devs. Any game that has decent visuals thats fairly well put together that streamers play for a while will enjoy massive success at the start. Long term playerbase count though, that may or may not go the way they hoped.
 
Both of The Division games were also a raging success at the start selling over 10 mil copies each. They quickly also became a raging failure once a couple months passed and the casuals completed most of the PvE content. They tried the PvPvE content, begged the devs for a PvE only version of the PvPvE zones (which had enjoyable endgame PvE), Devs said no, playerbase quit en masse. That was the end of that playerbase.

Anytime someone says 'dude this PvPvE game is a raging success' - if they mean sales wise sure, congrats to the devs. Any game that has decent visuals thats fairly well put together that streamers play for a while will enjoy massive success at the start. Long term playerbase count though, that may or may not go the way they hoped.
The Division 2 came out in 2019 and still gets content updates. While it hasn't gotten huge content updates like Warlords of New York since 2020, it has gotten small updates over time. When they went to those seasonal content updates, it meant people still play the crap out of it.

While I did indeed play the crap out of it (probably 200+ hours) and got bored and moved on. To be fair, I do that with all games, PvP or not.

After a year or two of a break, I keep coming back to The Division 2. I just went back to it this year after getting my 5080 and I was in disbelief at how good it still looks compared to modern games. Even after 6 years, it still holds up.

I would say the game was a resounding success. Ubi has to know people still love playing it because why bother making content updates?

Dead game The Division 2 is not.

1763226942789.png

Even after 450 hours, there's always stuff to do:
1763227021471.png

1763227154095.png
 
Last edited:
The Division 2 came out in 2019 and still gets content updates.
Over the years I've seen the question over and over "why does a dead game still get updates?" on the division 2 sub or game related forums (not in a bad or insulting way but a curious one). And the answer others gave was "the contract they have with the movie studio for the division movie (with jake gyllenhaal / jessica chastain) required the game to still be receiving updates and appear to be fully supported by the developer".

I don't know how accurate that is, but I stand by my statement above: both the Division games were great successes in terms of sales but massive failures when it came to keeping players around past a few months, and the refusal to make a PvE Dark Zone was a massive contributing factor for the decline (especially in the first game where players begged and begged and begged for it).
 
Over the years I've seen the question over and over "why does a dead game still get updates?" on the division 2 sub or game related forums (not in a bad or insulting way but a curious one). And the answer others gave was "the contract they have with the movie studio for the division movie (with jake gyllenhaal / jessica chastain) required the game to still be receiving updates and appear to be fully supported by the developer".

I don't know how accurate that is, but I stand by my statement above: both the Division games were great successes in terms of sales but massive failures when it came to keeping players around past a few months, and the refusal to make a PvE Dark Zone was a massive contributing factor for the decline (especially in the first game where players begged and begged and begged for it).
Contract with a movie? And you actually believe that crap? Wow.

You're entitled to your opinion. But stating The Division 2 was a massive failure is objectively wrong.
 
You're entitled to your opinion. But stating The Division 2 was a massive failure is objectively wrong.
A tripleA online GAAS live service title fluctuating between 4k to 8k concurrent players less than a year after release is certainly not what they were hoping for. Damn sure the Ubisoft shareholders used the word failure when they saw the numbers. Any other major studio would have stopped support for a title with such low player count. This is not an opinion but a fact we have seen a dozen times over since Fortnite blew up and other studios were trying to make their own GAAS cash cow.

We've gone off topic enough so I'll just say: best wishes and good luck to the ARC Raiders dev team, I hope their game maintains its success.
 
So got into a couple rounds that has me thinking of deleting the game.

3 times in a row I get in a game and there's only enough time left in the match to basically run to a hatch nearby or run across the map.

Twice I died from Arc because I stopped to loot a couple times and had to take chances to get to a hatch.

What the point of a looter extraction game where you have maybe 4 or 5 minutes to run and loot before having to extract?

Edit: Thankfully that's my biggest complaint other than rats doing rat things.
 
Last edited:
So got into a couple rounds that has me thinking of deleting the game.

3 times in a row I get in a game and there's only enough time left in the match to basically run to a hatch nearby or run across the map.

Twice I died from Arc because I stopped to loot a couple times and had to take chances to get to a hatch.

What the point of a looter extraction game where you have maybe 4 or 5 minutes to run and loot before having to extract?

Edit: Thankfully that's my biggest complaint other than rats doing rat things.
It sounds like they should just make it so you can't get dumped into an in-progress match.
 
So got into a couple rounds that has me thinking of deleting the game.

3 times in a row I get in a game and there's only enough time left in the match to basically run to a hatch nearby or run across the map.

Twice I died from Arc because I stopped to loot a couple times and had to take chances to get to a hatch.

What the point of a looter extraction game where you have maybe 4 or 5 minutes to run and loot before having to extract?

Edit: Thankfully that's my biggest complaint other than rats doing rat things.

That's interesting. I never had that happen to me when i was either going solo or with a squad. The shortest amount of time I've seen was 18 to 19 mins, that was enough to get a couple of things done.

As far as I know the longest the round can be is 30 minutes? Feel free to correct me.
 
That's interesting. I never had that happen to me when i was either going solo or with a squad. The shortest amount of time I've seen was 18 to 19 mins, that was enough to get a couple of things done.

As far as I know the longest the round can be is 30 minutes? Feel free to correct me.
Yeah, I think it's 30 minutes. Highest I've seen is on the 29 minute range.

One thing I like about the random countdown dynamic is it automatically creates a forced pace that you have to adapt to. 30 minutes? Sweet! Let's loot, take our time... But 19 minutes? Ah shoot, pick our determined route, find our exit point and hit it, loot, and get out... At least hopefully that is 😆
 
Is this game any good? What genre is it? I been hearing about it but haven't followed anything about it. A TLDR should suffice.
 
Is this game any good? What genre is it? I been hearing about it but haven't followed anything about it. A TLDR should suffice.
Extraction looter shooter, the same genre as Tarkov. You load into a map that has both other players (PvP) and mobs to kill (PvE) simultaneously. Kill some of both (or run and hide if necessary), loot, get to an extraction point without dying, and if all goes well you get to keep (extract) your loot. If another player kills you, they can loot the items from your inventory and attempt to extract it themselves. Similarly to the DZ (dark zone) in The Division games.

Not every player will be hostile, as the game is relatively new (and there is proximity chat where you can speak to anyone nearby) there are a lot of friendly players who will not attack on sight. If it's anything like other extraction shooters, as time goes on more and more players will focus on player killing for fun and there will be a lot more PvP taking place.
 
Extraction looter shooter, the same genre as Tarkov. You load into a map that has both other players (PvP) and mobs to kill (PvE) simultaneously. Kill some of both (or run and hide if necessary), loot, get to an extraction point without dying, and if all goes well you get to keep (extract) your loot. If another player kills you, they can loot the items from your inventory and attempt to extract it themselves. Similarly to the DZ (dark zone) in The Division games.

Not every player will be hostile, as the game is relatively new (and there is proximity chat where you can speak to anyone nearby) there are a lot of friendly players who will not attack on sight. If it's anything like other extraction shooters, as time goes on more and more players will focus on player killing for fun and there will be a lot more PvP taking place.
Oh - so not for me then. Thanks for your time!
 
It sounds like they should just make it so you can't get dumped into an in-progress match.

That's interesting. I never had that happen to me when i was either going solo or with a squad. The shortest amount of time I've seen was 18 to 19 mins, that was enough to get a couple of things done.

As far as I know the longest the round can be is 30 minutes? Feel free to correct me.
Strangely enough every match after those 3 in a row have been at least 26 minutes which I'm good with.

Maybe the game was punishing me for shit talking .

Helped 2 others blow up a big ball, someone else comes along and shoots me, I go down, make sure to use area comms to tell the others I had helped. One of them popped over a roof as I go down and ends up taking down the guy who got me. No one had a defib, but I did get to watch the guy who downed me get executed just as I died lol.
 
Alright, new rule, if someone sounds Asian I'm killing them, gotten ratted by 2 of them so far.

Edit: There are a lot of rats that play on console it seems, about to just start killing everyone solo at this point.

I just got killed 2 games in a row, both times I was shot through a corner/wall, wtf is going on.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: jaffy
like this
Back
Top