ARC Raiders by former EA exec Patrick Söderlund

Gabe3

2[H]4U
Embark Studios, the new Stockholm-based outfit set up by former EA exec Patrick Söderlund, has announced the name of its new project.

Titled as Arc Raiders, the mysterious sci-fi game will get a proper unveiling later this week as part of The Game Awards.

A brief teaser video popped up on Twitter last night, with some grainy footage and the tagline: "enlist, resist".

game debuts tomorrow at the game awards, looks to be a 3rd person shooter

https://twitter.com/ARCRaidersGame
https://www.ign.com/articles/arc-raisers-former-dice-devs-game-awards

ARC Raiders® is a free-to-play cooperative third-person shooter where you and your squad of Raiders unite to resist the onslaught of ARC – a ruthless mechanized threat descending from space.
trailer

Last edited:
Battlefront meets Earth Defense Force meets the gas station scene in Terminator Salvation.

I guess this slipped past everyone but looks impressive, at least visually. Big fan of the retro-future 80s art style, and graphically impressive on par with the photorealism of the Unreal Engine 5 demos.

Being current-gen-only PS5/SeriesX/PC is also in its favor. It's apparent that BF3/BF4/BF1 and Battlefront talent that left EA/DICE are working on this game.

The elephant in the room is that it's F2P, and looking like a co-op wave/horde shooter with loot grinding-scavenging. Which could be fun, but they have to monetize it which presumably will mean letting you pay to reduce grind time.

Alas, I watched the trailer a few times, and want to suspend doubts and give it a shot anyway.

Last edited:
This was a cool read- that to reduce the traditionally long and expensive development time of scripted animations, they employed AI/physics/ machine learning (I hate all those buzzwords) for the robots to dynamically walk and react to terrain, obstacles and getting hit by objects spontaneously, which theoretically means no two rounds will play the same.

Interesting stuff.

1*1P7YIkKWN0bMkKLCf-55Tg.gif

Last edited:
3rd person shooter = fail. Unless it is an action adventure single player game, in which case it would still be better if it was 1st person. And this is headed by the guy who sank Battlefield. That is a pass from me. He can go play Fornite with his daughter or whatever.

3rd person shooter = fail. Unless it is an action adventure single player game, in which case it would still be better if it was 1st person. And this is headed by the guy who sank Battlefield. That is a pass from me. He can go play Fornite with his daughter or whatever.

F2P trash from the EA exec who oversaw Anthem and who justified design decisions based on his daughter being offended, what could go wrong?

Dammit, JUST ANNOUNCED this game has been delayed until 2023. This just came over the wire. Yet another game god doesn't want me to have.

Is videogame development in Stockholm just easy-come, easy-go, like "maybe I'll go into the office today and actually work on this fucking game, maybe I'll just stay home and eat oreos all day and masturbate, who knows?"

Must be nice.

1663039915391.png

Dammit, JUST ANNOUNCED this game has been delayed until 2023. This just came over the wire. Yet another game god doesn't want me to have.

Is videogame development in Stockholm just easy-come, easy-go, like "maybe I'll go into the office today and actually work on this fucking game, maybe I'll just stay home and eat oreos all day and masturbate, who knows?"

Must be nice.

View attachment 509623
releasing it at the end of this year is probably bad move since warzone 2 is coming out in nov.

Back