AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and 1920X CPU Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by Kyle_Bennett, Aug 10, 2017.

1. kac77

kac77 2[H]4U

KVM (Linux) w/ GPU passthrough that's an old write up I did. I have to replace the photobucket links. But you'll get an idea.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    J3RK, Nobu and N4CR like this.
  2. kac77

kac77 2[H]4U

I don't think that's required for kvm... Will know soon.

3. Nathan_P

Nathan_P [H]ard DCOTM x2

Scan and overclockers.co.uk both have cpu's - more than 10 of each in the case of overclockers, Overclockers had mobo's they must have sold out.

4. ob1

ob1 2[H]4U

If anyone happens to run Plex that is testing the new Threadripper CPU's, I would like to see the CPU/core use when transcoding an x.265 file. I run a Plex server that I also use as my main rig for gaming, (only 1080 dual monitors right now but will eventually change to dual 4k at some point). Anyway, my current setup is starting to lag a bit when transcoding 3/4 x.265 files, then add in gaming and surfing on top of that, it can really slow my system down. I have been waiting for a larger leap from Intel, but it seems that isn't going to happen in the 3 to 6 months, so I'm looking at this Threadripper CPU. Thank you.

5. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Microcenter in Rockville has some Zenith boards. I can snag one if anyone needs a board.

6. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan Gawd

Hell, as just a regular old enthusiast, it was pretty boring. There's been so match action this year... it's almost like the old days again.

7. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

8. grtitan

grtitan [H]ard|Gawd

I wonder what would take to fully utilize all cores and bring the CPU to its knees. That would give us a better image as to how powerful these things truly are.

9. davethehedgehog

davethehedgehog n00bie

Yeah, I did say, barely any CPU and zero motherboards. Scan and CCL have 1920X's in now too. Looks like they all took second deliveries today.

Still zero motherboards anywhere. I've not bought from overclockers in a long time since their pricing was way off. This pricing seems to be standard though, RRP.

I'll just wait I think. I'm not desperate, I've got a 6850 at the mo. But if places had had them in today I might have impulse bought. Probably for the best really, impulse buys are never the best.

10. Chris_B

Overclockers are saying monday/Tuesday for the Asus board.

11. davethehedgehog

davethehedgehog n00bie

And so stock at the moment everywhere for motherboards is.....?

12. Chris_B

No clue, some people that pre-ordered got their motherboards but seems to have been a small quantity.

13. toddw

toddw [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the awesome review.

14. reb00tin

reb00tin Gawd

This ripper thing makes my new i7-7700 look like an Athlon x2.

But still no iGPU, AMD's upcoming APU could be a 1-2 punch.

15. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardness Supreme

Funny enough, I'm actually kind of excited to see what they do with the new tech in the APU department. It'll never replace my "proper" gaming desktop, but I'm someone that would love to put more usable (yet small form factor) PCs in some more rooms of the house. My kids and I are doing more and more LAN play as time goes on, and I've been slowly building more desktops to get them off their laptops for playing shooters. A decently fast modern APU would do nicely for bolstering that further.

JustReason likes this.
  16. PhoenixWings

PhoenixWings Limp Gawd

Kyle_Bennett - Would you switch from your 6950X setup to an AMD 1950X system? I'm asking because I've been saving up and buyin parts as money came in, and right now I have a ASUS X99-WS 10G (dual 10Gbit NICs, and I actually have a 10GBit switch) and I got a 6950X brand new for $1K a few weeks ago. I was wondering if I should sell the mobo and CPU and buy a Threadripper, or just stick with what I already have and just build. Having dual 10Gbit NICs is nice, and 10 SATA ports and all those PCI-E slots on the ASUS mobo. Thanks for your review and looking forward to your advice.

17. arestavo

arestavo [H]ard|Gawd

I can't speak for Kyle, yet I do have a 6950X that I also purchased a few weeks ago for $900 (and it overclocks to 4.4GHz, lucky me!). There is no way that I'd go for a 1950X as I game a lot at 4K and 1080P (when my 1080 Ti can't keep 55+ FPS at 4K), and 1080P performance is far weaker with the 1950X. 4K there isn't a difference, and even 1440P suffers just about as much as 1080P.

FWIW, I also have a 10 GbE dual port NIC and a 10 GbE switch - I don't see the relevance between the two processors unless you go SLI, which has been proven to scale badly with Ryzen and I'd expect the same with TR. For reference I've got a single GPU X16, RAID card X8, NVME X4, dual port 10 GbE NIC X8 for a total of X36 lanes used. Also, running a single card at PCIE 3.0 X8 vs X16 has a very small impact on performance for a single GPU, but it will be more pronounced with X8 and X8 GPUs running SLI.

However, if you can leverage those extra cores for encoding and other professional work then it can really save you some time, and we all know that time is money - and that would make it worth while to sell the 6950X and board and go in on an X399 system.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 9:06 PM
    Nihilus1 likes this.
  18. DooKey

DooKey [H]ard DCOTM x4

TR 16 looks real nice. I may have to replace my 8c Ryzen.

19. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

What exactly do you want to do with it? But my initial response is NO. I have a 6950X in my main system right now, and I will likely be changing, but I really want to evaluate the new AMD experience from "the inside" instead of just sitting on a testbench.

20. 0x4452

0x4452 n00bie

Unigine Heaven 640x480! Love it, that's something probably neither AMD nor Intel ever optimized their CPUs for, so fun to see how they perform on an unexpected workload :D

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  21. arestavo

arestavo [H]ard|Gawd

That just highlights the IPC difference and It's actually a decent comparison even between different generations of the same CPU line to see the differences (and can further highlight differences if clockspeeds are set the same)

22. noko

noko 2[H]4U

For me you are indeed an almost one-stop-shop because too many of the other sites I get inundated with ED shit solutions, pop up video's and one wrong click you wind up looking at old women bra's and wrinkle cream. I going to have to contribute to the Patreon fund to help keep this site the way it is. It is just not the reviews that make this site complete but also the forums, expertise in those forums which links are more specific to the dreaded shit sites bypassing the misery trying to find and not forgetting why you are even there. Anyways the advertising here is actually helpful since it always seems to be related.

DuronBurgerMan and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  23. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Looks like a great test to see how latency affects the outcome, also memory speeds.

24. SiSiX

SiSiX n00bie

So I suspect, based on the one 3200 Cinebench score that Intel leaked for the i9-7960 (16c) that what it's going to come down to is if you are hardware price constrained, the AMD's TR 1950x is possibly a better way to go for about $700 less in the CPU (everything else being roughly the same) and if you're software price/time constrained (software is MUCH more expensive or that 10% or so speed increase pays for the hardware difference) then Intel's i9-7960 or i9-7980 will be the better way to go. And if you're not in the market for stupid expensive, workstation class, "seriously wife/husband/gf/bf/sig other this $1k+ CPU was ABSOLUTELY NEEDED FOR ME TO SURVIVE" level of computer, we're going to FINALLY be back into a situation where we, as enthusiasts, will actually have a value to our friends and families in recommending hardware because AMD actually has CPUs out that can challenge anything Intel is currently shipping in the "retail" space (and pokes at the server/workstation space pretty well too), meaning once again, we'll actually have to start paying attention to benchmarks, usage scenarios, price, weird driver conflicts, and motion of the planets and stars to find the best solutions again.

AMD gets a well deserved "Attaboy" from me for this. Now let's see what Intel can come up with/drop price on.

The real question is: Will EITHER of these (1950x or 7900x) play Crysis?
    (Seriously, someone had to ask)

25. Nihilus1

Nihilus1 Limp Gawd

Not huge gains on o/c, even when using a multi thread app. Curious of thoughts on that. Is it because the app is not using all threads and 4c boost and XFR are offsetting the gains?

26. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

Great review! Kyle_Bennett when are going to start reviewing the motherboards and will there be a review of the 1900x?

27. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

Unless you can offload it for what you paid i wouldn't. The 6950 should hold its own until zen2 or the second phase of the i9 processors release with more than 10 cores if those interest you at all.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  28. Kyle_Bennett

Already and Yes.

TMCM and alxlwson like this.
  29. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Unigine 640x480 was on lowest or maxxed out settings? I got 352 and ~240 on my 4790K respectively w/1080FE

30. Kyle_Bennett

These are very much "benchmarks." These are good in helping us understand how well CPUs are at performing calculations in 3D gaming engines. These benchmarks in no way represent real-world gameplay. These are all run at very low resolutions to try our best to remove the video card as a bottleneck.

LOWEST SETTINGS....

xorbe and alxlwson like this.
  31. Seventyfive

Seventyfive Gawd

Does anyone know what the max RAM speed is for the X399 / Threadripper platform? I notice in the review the AMD system only used 3200mhz... I heard there is an advantage for the Ryzen platform to use the fastest RAM possible but not sure if that is even substantiated, or if that applies to TR as well.

PS: Great review!!

32. Kyle_Bennett

33. N4CR

N4CR [H]ard|Gawd

People still dragging up the Segfault issue for the small fraction of a small fraction of Linux users in other threads is quite funny, making it out as if it's not being addressed and that it's a huge issue, while conveniently side stepping that 2600k and other CPUs also suffer from this bug. It seems it has been solved now, as people have reported RMA CPUs fixing the problem, whilst others have not replicated the fault on some existing CPUs, while others have temporarily resolved by disabling ASLR. At least AMD isn't pulling a L2 cache patch screw job..
    Theory is early batches had some issue, later batches (RMA replacements) including TR don't. So if we can get more data on processor dates from anyone affected, this could help narrow things down.

Threadripper and Epyc CPUs appear unaffected also, so spreading that BS in this thread, is total FUD shilling at this point.

https://community.amd.com/thread/215773?start=630&tstart=0

34. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

Hi, does anyone know which of the X399 boards support ECC ram in ECC mode? I'd like with build a server with TR. There's been some posts that suggests ECC ram can be used, but as non-ECC. Thanks!

35. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

all of them should support ECC in ECC mode as well as non-ecc.

36. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Do any of the motherboards have this wording (ECC supported / operates in non ECC mode)? I mean I know that X370 boards had this on a few boards but I have not seen it on X399 although I have not extensively looked at the specifications.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:48 AM
  37. Kyle_Bennett

ECC should have made native support on all UEFI to my understanding.

38. Chimpee

Chimpee Gawd

Looks greats, if I was into the HEDT market, would totally consider 1920x.

39. Xaeos

Xaeos [H]ardness Supreme

Does anyone have a hypothetical "maturity" timing for TR performance and what any final comparisons may be in areas where TR is currently lacking? That is to say, as it seems that Intel X99 / X299 chips have some performance benefits on single (or few) threaded applications due to the higher frequencies when OC'ed. I know myself for instance my 5960X runs at 4.5ghz (turbo'ed) across all threads. However, while this initially seems to be a little unfortunate for things like gaming, despite TR's strong - sometimes exceptionally so - performance in other situations. However, it seems to be launching from a stronger initial position than Ryzen and I am wondering if with maturity TR may end up minimizing any of these potential shortcomings.

If I'm correct it seems there are a handful of ways that Threadripper can mature. First of all is regarding overclocking and cooling itself. I am curious to see what happens when proper TR4 socket-designed coolers come onto the scene (I saw that X399-ready EKWB Supremacy EVO were announced) and for that matter, how existing Socket 2066 / 2011-3 style blocks like the EKWB Supremacy EVO and Swiftech Apogee XL2 are doing, regarding enabling better cooling and if this will affect OC potential. Next seems to be drivers and software optimization. Ryzen seemed to fall behind (especially in gaming) at first, but as time went on and many bugs were fixed, AMD was given equal treatment to many Intel-specific optimizations etc... the few gaps on Ryzens' already strong showing began to close. With Threadripper from a stronger starting point I wonder if this will also be the case. Is there any other potential points of enhancement due to maturity that I'm not thinking of?

Finally, in the areas where TR may not hold the crown on benchmarks, I guess what it really comes down to is how big a gap there might be when it comes to real world performance? I think many of us were pleasantly surprised that AMD managed to get TR to essentially become top dog (for equal/lower price!) in the number of metrics and circumstances they did, when the possibility for a more traditional " slightly lower performance all around, yet cheaper than Intel" would still have been a win for AMD. So for things like gaming and other situations etc... will there really be a significant difference in real world performance, especially after a little maturity to the platform? Not that long ago many people were saying of the mainstream boards that "forget Ryzen for gaming" based on some similar clock speed / single core performance kinda things, but that has more or less evaporated and lots of people are building performance Ryzen gaming rigs, so I wonder if the same thing will happen with the stronger-starting by comparison Threadripper. If it turns out that TR has the strong lead in many situations and where it lags a little it doesn't lag much in the real world (made even smaller by maturity), perhaps it is still the overall best choice for a HEDT used for many activities including gaming?

40. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

Yes, in a Reddit post, an Asus rep said this was the case, but it was unclear which specific motherboard he/she was referring to. That's why I wanted to confirm before purchasing.