X399 MB ECC Confirmation/Clarification Thread

Discussion in 'AMD MoBos' started by Abby Normal, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Abby Normal

Abby Normal n00bie

I am creating this thread to welcome sources of confirmation to clarify or confirm the degree to which each X399 MB has support for ECC. I imagine this is a subject of great importance in this community, since Threadrippers are bound to end up in a plenty of workstations.

I've been trying to find a support email address for MSI that doesn't require a ticket or support ticket, and it seems that the [H] community rep is no longer around, so if anybody can accomplish that please do so.

I am forwarding this thread to the Gigabyte [H] community rep, so let his PM box rest.

I have yet to see anything regarding Load Reduced ECC RAM so that seems to be out of the question for the launch MBs.

First up is Asrock:
    They have 2 boards coming up for launch, and they do specify it supports ECC UDIMMs but do not state that they operate in non-ECC mode only. There is mention of Data Poisoning settings in the user manual, so it sounds like a yes.
    X399 Taichi
    Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming

Second up is ASUS:
    ASUS put up their pages for their MBs now. Only the Zenith Extreme has any mention of ECC support, and the Prime obviously doesn't. They have only one mention in the Zenith's manual about ECC, and they do not state if it is EUDIMM support and no ECC mode, or what have you.
    ROG ZENITH EXTREME
    Prime X399-A

Third up is Gigabyte:
    While they have had support for the AM4 Ryzens, and they were looking to be a safe bet from this display, and the product landing page doesn't have any exclusion clauses, but the specifications page states Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
    X399 Aorus Gaming 7
    (current status: supported)
    Update 8/10/17 9:00am American CST: Gigabyte has updated the specification's page, and now shows ECC support.
    The Gigabyte [H]REP has also confirmed ECC mode.
    X399 DESIGNARE EX states support in the product specifications. When it was introduced it did not state anything.

Fourth up is MSI:
    The only entry on their website at this time is the X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and it states "Supports ECC UDIMM." It doesn't mention anything about non-ECC mode only or anything.
    *Update- got some ECC confirmation so it should be good. This a great about face from their AM4 support.
    *Update (10/20/2017) - With the introduction of the SLI Plus MSI has removed mention of ECC altogether on both of their x399 options.
    X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
    My Pro Carbon ECC confirmation link
    X399 SLI PLUS (Current status: unconfirmed)

Edit for 8/13/2017: You can simply test when you get the board in windows with the following commands in power shell:
    If the TotalWidth value is larger than the DataWidth value then ECC should be enabled. 72bit indicates ECC function.

A more detailed description of functions can be gotten from the following
    The values should be:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM
    Meeho, Armenius and drescherjm like this.
  2. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

I'm rolling the dice and trying my registered modules on the asrock when it arrives. Worst case I'll yank some unbuffered out of another machine to finish the build and go order some more. Still hate having to source unbuffered, its too niche.

LR dimms do require some extra lifting by the motherboard OEM, but for X99 at least registered is all about the cpu IMC. (granted often you end up with stupid boards not handling the ECC or but it still boots if they at least put the cpu ids for the xeons)

3. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

LRDimm is reserved for Epyc per AMD.

4. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

Awesome thread! Would those who are using ECC memory with Threadripper let the rest of us know what works? It seems all the ECC memory I've found are registered and not unbuffered...for example, I went on the crucial website and it doesn't appear they make unbuffered ECC DIMMs. Thanks!

5. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

6. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I believe it is ECC unbuffered dimm versus unbuffered dimm (without ECC).

7. Abby Normal

Abby Normal n00bie

Here is another VLP EUDIMM for those wanting capacity. I originally tried to order these, but they ended up being backordered until late September, and now it seems the price increased by $100.

I already have 4 of the ct16g4xfd824a in my MSI board, I'm just waiting on a waterblock for now, then I'll verify functionality. I'm starting to hate this waiting game.

8. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

Hi, about to pull the trigger on my system...it sounds like the Aorus Gaming 7 is the only one with confirmed ECC mode operation at this point? Thanks.

9. DaveTheBeast

DaveTheBeast n00bie

So, did you get the aurus board? Can you confirm functioning ECC?

Thanks

10. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

So what happened? Did LRdimm or udimm ecc work for the asrock taichi?

11. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

Holding off until PCI passthru (IOMMU) is improved...

12. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Hmm. All the unbuffered ECC dimms I tagged above are out of stock now. I hope the memory situation gets better around Black Friday..

13. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

Is there a link to keep an easy track of progress on this?

14. Hammer!

Hammer! [H]Lite

I'm hoping for the same thing. Best resource I've found is Level 1 Tech. Just doesn't seem like many are looking at TR as a poor man's EPYC which is what I would like to do and hence the ECC memory and IOMMU.

15. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

It's a shame as I was looking forward to building a VM server with Threadripper. I hope it all gets sorted in the next couple of months.

16. Monkey God

Monkey God [H]ardness Supreme

Here is where I get most my info.

Meeho likes this.
  17. BecauseScience

BecauseScience Gawd

We're around. A proper Supermicro TR board with ECC and IOMMU done right would sell like hotcakes.

18. Abby Normal

Abby Normal n00bie

Reporting in with my findings. I had been through hell getting my setup to even boot with the MSI x399 Pro Carbon since there was only one bios that would load any boot manager (7B09v14) and one BIOS (7B09v13) forced me to use the BIOS flashback function. Non of them worked with the SATA controllers set to RAID. Which forced me to do a from scratch approach and migrate data over through Backup images in Macrium.

I did spot Data-poisoning functions in the BIOS though so :athumbsup:

Here are my Windows results for ECC Confirmation:
    and

This part indicates that multi-bit error correction gets set without any user input on the v14 BIOS.

I find it weird that TotalWidth gets indicated as 128, but I guess the dual memory controllers on the socket have something to do with that. I'll do a BSD test later and see if I can get better details. I'll update this post when I do that since it serves as the confirmation post.

So the x399 Pro Carbon passes for ECC support. The current BIOS selection just eats a bag of dicks for my setup.

This is the ECC RAM I'm using since it was the only one that was going to have any stock in time. So if anyone is considering compatibility the v14 BIOS is the best bet I'm afraid.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM
    BecauseScience likes this.
  19. N4CR

N4CR [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks, this is great to know when our local Intel shills try to FUD the ECC topic.