AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Leaked Benchmarks: GTX 1070 Killer

OK - so this part isn't a dig, it's a question. Have the AMD/ATI drivers improved any in the last couple years? I think my last ATI card was about 6 years ago and the drivers .... did not impress (trying to be nice).

Well I for one returned a 1070 2 weeks ago after owning it for less than 48 hours, because of the drivers. I acknowledge I am in a *very* small segment of the market, but I am using 3 monitors of different sizes to run triple-display games (left and right are 21 inch 1600x900, center is 23 inch 1920x1080). Nvidia would not allow higher than 3840x2160 resolution. With the AMD driver on the various AMD cards I've owned over the past several years, I've always been able to run 5120x900. So for me, the AMD driver was far better than the NVidia offering.

Well I for one returned a 1070 2 weeks ago after owning it for less than 48 hours, because of the drivers. I acknowledge I am in a *very* small segment of the market, but I am using 3 monitors of different sizes to run triple-display games (left and right are 21 inch 1600x900, center is 23 inch 1920x1080). Nvidia would not allow higher than 3840x2160 resolution. With the AMD driver on the various AMD cards I've owned over the past several years, I've always been able to run 5120x900. So for me, the AMD driver was far better than the NVidia offering.
If you do mixed orientation Portrait/Landscape/Portrait then only AMD drivers work too. That's why I swung to AMD 2 years ago or so because I had a 20/30/20" setup. 1200x1600, 2560x1600, and 1200x1600.

Over a 2 month period this year I found "returned" 1070's and I picked 2 up @ $270-$275 ea.

Right now I have them in SLI in my windows box at 1440p...I think I'm going to sit tight for a good, long while.

Nice! @ $275 I would have cleaned them out, LOL

That is a very....odd setup. Personally not having matching monitors would drive me insane.

you run nvidia hardware.
I actually have both AMD and NVIDIA hardware in my house. That doesn't prevent me from objectively reviewing the performance of different cards in different games under different APIs.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/22/dx12_versus_dx11_gaming_performance_video_card_review/

Aside from Sniper Elite 4, no other game tested with more than ~2-3% better FPS in DX12, most games performed within the margin of error, and one was worse. Even AOTS made essentially zero difference and that was a game built to show off the powers of low level APIs.

Fundamentally, I agree that DX12 is a step forward - however pragmatically speaking, even as broadly adopted as it is, it's not providing a useful benefit yet except in a handful of titles. Yeah sure in 2-3 years when engines have been more fully optimized maybe DX12 will offer a nice advantage, but it won't matter because all of these cards will be slower than what a $250 purchase can do by then anyway.

I predict...Day one sold out all purchased by miners and you won't be able to touch one under $600.

So claimed numbers of a 1070 killer but only took AMD 15 months to do it after the fact.

whats with testing 480 at 1440p.
From the first page of the article:
What we won’t be doing is testing 1080p, or low-end GPUs, or low-end system testing. We are not conducting a CPU-bottlenecked performance test. We are focusing on the performance differences between DX11 and DX12 in a GPU focused environment with a high-end system.

Do you honestly feel that's going to make a significant difference? I feel like your grasping at straws to support your conclusion. As long as you're GPU bound, regardless of resolution, then if there are benefits from DX12 you would see them.

Back