The Vega Pre-Order Thread

Why will you pre-order AMD Vega?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Two week poll - Why will you pre-order Vega? (Vega is supposed to drop August 14)

I'm going to pre-order either the Vega 64 or the Vega 64 water cooled. I'm primarily interested in Red Team for FreeSync capability. I've been really happy with my AMD 285 and the Fury X cards in Crossfire the last couple years -- before that I was Nvidia only for 15+ years straight. I picked up a pair of 1080TI to SLI a couple weeks back, but feel I made a mistake. I miss the buttery smoothness of FreeSync as compared to 60Hz VSync. I don't see any Gsync monitor that tickles my fancy, and so I am heading back to Red Team.

Now - if only I could find a place to actually pre-order so I could ensure to get a Vega card at launch!?!?!

Last edited:
Vega 56 if it gets good hash rates in mining, and I will pre order a bunch of em.

Probably fair to expect Fury X hashrate or better -- which at $400 - is pretty dang good in daggerhashimoto. As a bonus - 165 watt for Vega 56 according to this vid at 1:21.
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07/31/exclusive_rx_vega_interview_chris_hook

That combination 'could' make the Vega 56 more popular than the 1070 for mining. :eek: (depending on how the Vega 56 undervolts from there...) If that's the case -- yeah you're gonna have to pre-order to even get a chance at one.

Probably fair to expect Fury X hashrate or better -- which at $400 - is pretty dang good in daggerhashimoto. As a bonus - 165 watt for Vega 56 according to this vid at 1:21.
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07/31/exclusive_rx_vega_interview_chris_hook

That combination 'could' make the Vega 56 more popular than the 1070 for mining. :eek:

165 watts is for the gpu and mem only ;) TBP is 210. But thats ok, if Vega 58 out of the box gets 30 mhs and I can tweak the memory and clocks a bit, might be able to get 38 mhs out of it and drop the power consumption some maybe down to 160 watts, still higher than the 1070's (I'm getting 35 mhs for 100 watts), its close enough to be a viable replacement. Then if later on it can be unlocked to a full Vega, that would be pretty cool. AMD/ATi hasn't been in the habit of laser cutting their dies, so could happen.

Two week poll - Why will you pre-order Vega? (Vega is supposed to drop August 14)

I'm going to pre-order either the Vega 64 or the Vega 64 water cooled. I'm primarily interested in Red Team for FreeSync capability. I've been really happy with my AMD 285 and the Fury X cards in Crossfire the last couple years -- before that I was Nvidia only for 15+ years straight. I picked up a pair of 1080TI to SLI a couple weeks back, but feel I made a mistake. I miss the buttery smoothness of FreeSync as compared to 60Hz VSync. I don't see any Gsync monitor that tickles my fancy, and so I am heading back to Red Team.

Now - if only I could find a place to actually pre-order so I could ensure to get a Vega card at launch!?!?!
I definitely would like to preorder, and the watercooled like you. Been researching how the deals work a while tonight. It says when purchasing online, which sucks as I was hoping to do it at the MicroCenter when I get a whole new system (1800X+Taichi+FlareX) and freesync Monitor (the Samsung deal). I guess I could do it online, just was looking forward to going and getting it... instant gratification.

165 watts is for the gpu and mem only ;) TBP is 210. But thats ok, if Vega 58 out of the box gets 30 mhs and I can tweak the memory and clocks a bit, might be able to get 38 mhs out of it and drop the power consumption some maybe down to 160 watts, still higher than the 1070's (I'm getting 35 mhs for 100 watts), its close enough to be a viable replacement. Then if later on it can be unlocked to a full Vega, that would be pretty cool. AMD/ATi hasn't been in the habit of laser cutting their dies, so could happen.

I am curious as well and waiting on those results. If they hash better than the 1070s I will be replacing a rig or two....

when can we preorder the graphic card? I would love to get the ASUS ROG one.

I just had to vote on the Green Tea hater selection - lol

lol I still don't know how you are getting 35mh. I have my memory running at +750. I got little boost with latest claymor to 32mh. I literally don't know of anyone getting 35mh/s on 1070. Plus you are dual mining, you mind sharing a screenshot. Not that I don't trust you, I just can't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes.

I must be the odd one out then...

My reasons to buy Vega, should the need/desire arise, would be due to the fact that the perfect monitor (or closest to) I would like is FreeSync, so I wouldn't consider "FreeSync" to be the actual reason, since the monitor I am getting has no equal in G-Sync or Syncless.

So none of the categories apply to me lol.

I don't care if this card can shit gold bars. NEVER preorder products. I'm over the moon about Ryzen ThreadRipper, I fully expect it to be awesome and amazing and I have the funds set aside to purchase it, but ONLY after reviews.

Vega? Yeah I don't even expect it to make waves...

Really needs to be an "I want to get mine before the miners run them out of stock" option.
That is my sole reason for wanting a pre-order option. I will give my wife my 290, would have bought her a 570/580/470/480 but they are never in stock or at MSRP. I am not paying $400 for a $200 card.

lol I still don't know how you are getting 35mh. I have my memory running at +750. I got little boost with latest claymor to 32mh. I literally don't know of anyone getting 35mh/s on 1070. Plus you are dual mining, you mind sharing a screenshot. Not that I don't trust you, I just can't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes.

mining.jpg

Why would anyone pre-order a card we haven't seen metrics for yet? I like AMD, but come on guys. Use your brains.

Why would anyone pre-order a card we haven't seen metrics for yet? I like AMD, but come on guys. Use your brains.
because it is an upgrade over my 290 and I only run AMD. Of course only ever had XFX for AMD so that likely end here.

I would like to upgrade my 390x, but I rarely get stock blower cards. I'll wait. But I voted for freesync.

I would like to upgrade my 390x, but I rarely get stock blower cards. I'll wait. But I voted for freesync.
I want the water cooled one. Blower does not play into my air conditioned case unless I turn my pc around... Doable but then the power buttons are far away although they are on top...

thx for that. Hadn't even crossed my mind with blower style, not I can consider them.

Why are you asking a question that is aptly answered in the poll above? ;)
You know, I never really consider FreeSync, but I guess that's because AMD hasn't had a competitive high-end card since the 290X. :( I went with the PG278Q because it was the first 144hz 1440p screen available, not because of GSYNC. But I admit it would be hard to lose adaptive sync now.

I'll pre-order a pair of 56s for mining. If they are not sensible mining cards then I will hang onto them and put them in FreeSync gaming rig builds.

I'm using claymore, that is awesome miners monitoring software. Nah double checked, getting the same with Claymore, Claymore is more precise, its jumps from 33 to 35, but averages out at 34.5 ish.

You may not be able to preorder it. But if retailers/etailers receive stock they might put it up for sale prior to august 14th being the ship date.

The only reason I buy cards now is for mining (and occasionally for system builds), don't game though.

Whether or not I buy vega depends on performance, price, and what happens with the price of everything else.

https://videocardz.com/71591/rumor-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-to-be-great-for-mining

According to OCUK, hash rate is 70-100 on Vega. Videocardz thinks that the Radeon Packs were made to guard against miners. Isn't a hashrate of 70-100 insanely high through? According to TechSpot, the hashrate of 1080Ti is just 30.

Bullshit. Once again Gibbo is spreading a rumor and then saying we are trying to find ways to limit miners? If you are really that concerned about gamers you would hold off on spreading this rumor. Yea that is an insane number, gibbo is trying to get sold out on day one. Thats all there is to it! Collecting on the mining craze. So all of sudden more then double the hasrate of FE? lol

We are so concerned about gamers and want them to have cards but we needed to release a rumor that will make sure miners scoop up all cards. ROFL!

Bullshit. Once again Gibbo is spreading a rumor and then saying we are trying to find ways to limit miners? If you are really that concerned about gamers you would hold off on spreading this rumor. Yea that is an insane number, gibbo is trying to get sold out on day one. Thats all there is to it! Collecting on the mining craze. So all of sudden more then double the hasrate of FE? lol

Ya, added a edit, hes backtracking a little.

Ya, added a edit, hes backtracking a little.

He has a history of hyping up all cards. He knows vega is not great for gaming and it may be slow sale, lets make sure miners get em. And I will pretend like I care about gamers.

Anyone who has a FreeSync monitor that has not at this point already bought a 1070 or higher from nVidis is already a potential customer of Vega. I don't see why he needs to hype it.

He has a history of hyping up all cards. He knows vega is not great for gaming and it may be slow sale, lets make sure miners get em. And I will pretend like I care about gamers.

WhyCry is adding his own backing to it (Of course both are in the business of hype aren't they?) so theres that.

He's in sales, that's what he does. But, He never over hypes a product and performance usually lies in or around where he hints at. On the forums last year before the Polaris launch, he did step in and stopped the Hype train when some of the more excitable people were thinking that the 480 was going to be close to 980Ti performance. And, He did tell people to buy the 4GB version, but, he couldn't say why. It was only afterwards that everyone found out that the 4GB ones were really 8GBs and could be unlocked.

While he might not be right about this, he doesn't normally lead his customers too far astray. If he posts something like that, then I would be worried that Vega cards are going to be better at mining then we were led to believe.

Time will tell I guess.

https://videocardz.com/71591/rumor-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-to-be-great-for-mining

According to OCUK, hash rate is 70-100 on Vega. Videocardz thinks that the Radeon Packs were made to guard against miners. Isn't a hashrate of 70-100 insanely high through? According to TechSpot, the hashrate of 1080Ti is just 30.

Edit: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31026708
Hopefully just a rumor then on OCUK's part and it won't be so high as 70.

If that's true - you won't find a Vega used or new for less than $1k after the initial wave sells out at MSRP. That's 2-3x faster than any single card out there? Is this even possible? Would it have something to do with that FP16 compute that is double speed? I'm not suggesting it is - I don't understand the tech well enough - I'm simply asking...

WhyCry is adding his own backing to it (Of course both are in the business of hype aren't they?) so theres that.

I wouldn't say Whycry is in the business of Hype, wasn't it him that released the benchmarks that showed that Vega wasn't going to be anywhere near 1080ti performance. That's a hype killer for sure.

Why cry doesn't hype. But if he puts rumor it means he personally doesn't believe it and will put take it with grain of salt. Amd would be stupid to do this. Of Vega is really this great at mining why not enable it on fe edition and sell it for 1k instead of 399.99 and leave gaming alone.

Back