VR requires two scenes to be rendered, one for each eye. My understanding is the geometry is processed twice, once for each scene (a problem that is alleviated with nVidia's SMP). Aren't AMD products way behind nVidia with respect to geometry performance? Perhaps that's a major issue.

SMP is a pascal only feature and has to be implemented per game (or engine). I think nvidia's funhouse and maybe raw data use it. I would expect Fury X to be closer to the 980ti than it is

AFAIK Raw Data does not use SMP...performance would probably be a lot better if it did.

SMP is a pascal only feature and has to be implemented per game (or engine). I think nvidia's funhouse and maybe raw data use it. I would expect Fury X to be closer to the 980ti than it is
Yes, I am aware; I mentioned SMP in passing to emphasize the significance of the double geometry processing for VR applications. As nVidia products have much more capable geometry processing than AMD's products, this could be a significant source of performance degradation for AMD, but I'm just speculating.

Uh..."Platinum VR Experience"? Superior? Exquisite?

Lots of superlatives above premium, pick one.
upload_2016-8-16_15-8-52.png

Kidding aside, one thing is seriously burning in my mind when I showed these VR reviews to my colleagues.

If AMD is doing this badly, how badly would the PS VR run?
If Sony makes PS VR work at Nvidia levels, AMD is going to need some serious inflection.

Kidding aside, one thing is seriously burning in my mind when I showed these VR reviews to my colleagues.

If Sony makes PS VR work at Nvidia levels, AMD is going to need some serious inflection.
I don't think the PS4 VR HMD is going to be as high resolution at Vive/Rift. Not sure on that though...

Poorer graphics quality - like, say, last-gen-console-grade graphics?

PSVR is 1920*1080, 120hz or 90hz. Most games are 60fps (reprojected at 120). 1920*1080*60 is almost 50% less pixels per second than rift/vive (2160*1200*90). That's ignoring supersampling on PC which makes it even more demanding. I'm not sure if PSVR does SS and if so how much.

I tried PSVR at best buy, and while it is inferior to the vive in IQ it's not terrible. I have a pretty good PC and I still may get a PSVR for the exclusive games.

And that's also ignoring the performance gains when coding close to the metal. Uncharted 4 running on PS4 hardware (which is ancient by today's PC standards) looks absolutely stunning and maintains stable 1080p30 with superior antialiasing.

Nvidia's answer to AMD's "premium VR" is... "enthusiast VR" :)

wxdckbcenty0rton6bzf.JPG

Just keep in mind that Raja Koduri, Senior Vice President and Chief Architect at Radeon Technologies Group, said about the RX 480, "The Radeon™ RX Series is a disruptive technology that adds rocket fuel to the VR inflection point, turning it into a technology with transformational relevance to consumers." Koduri's statement leaves me wondering if he has actually spent any time with his competitor's GPUs in VR gaming. "Transformational relevance" seems to be pouring out of NVIDIA, and trickling slowly from AMD.

Wound, meet salt.

Not sure why that paragraph is necessary. AMD's lack of chops in the VR world is pretty apparent already.

Wound, meet salt.

Not sure why that paragraph is necessary. AMD's lack of chops in the VR world is pretty apparent already.

Considering how much of a 'premium VR experience' you're supposed to get from the Polaris launch, per AMD/RTG, the paragraph is very necessary and the reason why I read HARDocp and not SOFTocp from the other sites.

Salient points were made long before that paragraph. Pissing in their Cheerio''s doesn't add much to the article, except to give the Nvidia fanboyz a woodie.

Is it possible Fury X is running into limitations with its 4GB RAM?

Have now talked to Valve and NVIDIA about our testing and both have confirmed that Adaptive Quality was broken with our driver sets.

For a VR user who does neither read benchmarks like HardOCP's nor has ever owned any Nvidia cards, what is the experience like for that VR user?

Will he still think VR is great? Or will he think VR is not ready for the masses? Or worse, VR is sick inducing crap?

So the quality/loading of each GPU could have been different? Uneven? How much time is spent subjectively and objectively for looking at rendering quality - number of objects rendered - errors? To ensure the outcome or numbers accurately reflect similar if not same GPU loading.

My first thought is does AMD do well in any VR title? So far AMD solutions or options for VR looks to be the weakest by far of the bunch. FuryX consistently performed poorly from a VR standpoint. Then I wonder why nothing DX12 has surfaced at all for VR since that API seems to be a better API to use for VR?

Keep up the excellent reviews, while some are waiting for Vega - if Vega performs like this or below Nvidia current generation then Volta is probably the real deal performer for the 14nm generation and that looks like late next year. Now VR is not even using some of Nvidia VR potential with Multi-Projection (saving geometry pass for both eyes, performance enhancing, Nvidia calls it Single Pass Stereo), Multires Shading (performance enhancing by rendering less looked at areas like the sides at a lower resolution), then of course Nvidia VR SLI. Nvidia provides the hardware but the tools/libraries/software/support to back up that hardware as well. Nvidia is looking really good so far in VR - AMD needs to get to work in a more serious way. If Vega continues the poorer performance in VR I can see me going with Volta next year keeping the 1070 for VR once I get a headset.

Latest SteamVR update has this:
Compositor:
  • Fixed an issue that was causing Adaptive Quality to not operate properly in certain scenarios.

Any chance of a revisit to see if it makes a difference?

Latest SteamVR update has this:

Any chance of a revisit to see if it makes a difference?
Well, our testing is what pointed out to NVIDIA and Valve that AQ was broken. Funny though, AMD never contacted HardOCP about it. Given that AQ is now fixed, it does not make for much of an objective test. If AQ is working on both, about all I could tell you is that one looked X and the other looked Y. That said, I know how to turn AQ off, but then we would just get the same results.

Back