AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Serious Sam VR:TLH @ [H]

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Serious Sam VR:TLH - If battling Gnaars, Kamikaze dudes, Crazy Frogs, Kleers, Lava Monsters, and Bomb Spawners is on your list of things you want to do more of, then Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope might be right up your alley. We see how AMD and NVIDIA do with providing a great VR experience in SSVR.

Swolern, razor1 and Sith'ari like this.
  2. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

VR game, 13-0 to Nvidia? :eek:

3. Algrim

Algrim Gawd

We're beyond K-O territory now. One vender isn't even entering the ring.

4. Sith'ari

Sith'ari Gawd

I've played the original SeriousSam back in 2000 . It was a very entertaining FPS.:)
    I wonder how it would look like in a VR enviroment.

5. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

I have been having problems with Flash video with the last 3 driver sets at least. Even HTML5 video on Twitch makes my RX 480 go spastic. They mentioned it as a known issue in the latest driver batch. I also want to mention that I have to reinstall the drivers sometimes as Windows Update in Win 10 Pro will revert to an old AMD driver. Why? Don't know. It's annoying as hell though!

6. noko

noko 2[H]4U

The continued early access games are becoming a turn off to VR, at least for me. Love Serious Sam but would hate to start an incomplete version of it.

7. lostinseganet

lostinseganet Gawd

Can you walk/run in the game or is it just teleport from place to place?

8. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I believe you essentially just stand in one place...no actual movement.

Ieldra likes this.
  9. lostin3d

lostin3d Limp Gawd

Not ready to take the plunge into VR yet but this will definitely go on the list when I do. Graphics look pretty good. Very Doom like. Love it!

I wouldn't give my 1080's up for anything(except Titans of course) but glad to see that NVidia's x70's are still a great value per performance. I loved my 970's so much that I repurposed them back into my old rig for 1080p gaming because they slightly outperformed the 980m SLI in my GT80.

Sorry to hear that AMD is still missing out on another frontier. I had hoped better for them.

10. ol1bit

ol1bit [H]ard|Gawd

Freaky Friday, your review just inspired me to get a Gigabyte 1070 g1 gaming. I bought this game, but havn't ran it on my 970 yet, and after seen this, was time to pull the trigger.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC [H]Lite

Don't like taking sides but this shows AMD really not caring about removing that stick left by the dead horse.

Not to mention a bad showing with LiquidVR doesn't bode a lot of confidence.

12. Kyle_Bennett

Then do not buy early access games. By definition they are incomplete.

13. Kyle_Bennett

Reading is fundamental.

No.

Page 1.

14. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Could this get any worse for AMD?

They keep talking up their product but every single test you see makes them look like a bunch of desperate, dishonest fools.

15. jbc029

jbc029 Limp Gawd

So it's a prettier Space Pirate Trainer? Or does it not even have the small area for movement and ducking that SPT does?

16. lostinseganet

lostinseganet Gawd

I was hoping someone, somewhere, knew something, from some guy...that walk/run would be added :(

17. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

18. Kyle_Bennett

19. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

It shows Room Scale as an option, so I imagine you can at least move around within your own room.

20. Kyle_Bennett

Just checked my email and Croteam sent me a mail about 5 hours ago I missed....

Hi Kyle,

I read your excellent article on testing GPUs with SSVR. You got some great data there, thanks for laying down all the details!

Just wanted to clarify the LiquidVR mention from our update... At the moment, the game only supports LiquidVR in mGPU mode. So if you have 2x 480 it will render much faster, as each GPU renders one eye. The support for single-GPU stereo is coming in the next few days, hopefully.

Great stuff!

21. Chimpee

Chimpee Gawd

Looking forward to your review on mGPU Liquid VR review.

razor1 likes this.
  22. Kyle_Bennett

AMD RX 480 X 2 mGPU almost catches GTX 1070/980 Ti. Still had a couple of SteamVR BSODs with the RX 480, but after a couple tried it did work and worked well.

That said, these are $250 8GB cards and the GTX 1070 can be had now for $400, so not exactly a win, but GREAT to see mGPU working in a big title like this.

I am about to head out to a concert, and will do some verification tests later and update the article.

RX 480 mGPU.png

8.755ms average GPU Render Time for RX 480 8GB mGPU can be compared to the numbers below.

upload_2016-10-21_18-57-41.png

23. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

[​IMG]

Seriously though, still a reasonable positive for AMD.

24. noko

noko 2[H]4U

This is some great news and proves to work is even better. Also like that they are also going to capitalize on NVidia VRWorks for multi gpu and single, also LiquidVR with single GPU. Now they also mentioned Multi-Resolution for both LiquidVR and VRWorks, did not know that AMD supported Multi-Resolution. Anyways first AAA title with a rather competent development team as well using tools from both. That is encouraging and should be fun to see how that plays out.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  25. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

could you guys take a look at Elite with VR?

26. iNViSiGOD

iNViSiGOD Limp Gawd

Thanks Kyle for the quick micro review of mgpu at work!

27. Kyle_Bennett

I am really excited to see that working so well. Good stuff!!!!

28. TonyZ

TonyZ [H]Lite

Yep, competition is good! NV's been at the top too long all by their lonesome.

29. trajan2448

trajan2448 [H]Lite

Just amazing how AMD hypes all their hypes their products yet fails to deliver.

30. Cobalt35

Cobalt35 [H]ard|Gawd

I actually don't see this as a positive for AMD. They market the 480 specifically as a VR card, but my take away from the [H] article is that you need two of them top make it work properly. Why not just save $100 and not have to deal with AMD's drivers and get better performance with a 1070?

31. Kyle_Bennett

Pretty much.

Serious Sam VR mGPU Follow Up - Serious Sam VR mGPU AMD RX 480 Follow Up

I am glad to see the tech working, that is what is most impressive to me.

32. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

So you mention that 2x 480s isn't a good value but I could see 2x 470s providing almost identical perf and coming in at $340 with the reduced pricing it starts to look a lot better.

Granted its a setup that works well for exactly ONE game so far but sill very interesting.

I do think it would only be fair to continue re-testing some of these games as patches and driver updates come out - many are betas so there should be plenty of opportunity for them to improve.

33. Zion Halcyon

Zion Halcyon [H]ard|Gawd

So now that would be interesting. But does [H] have 2 470s?

34. jardows

jardows Gawd

So the mGpu working is a good sign, and I could see value here, if you are not doing dedicated VR. The 480 holds its own in non-VR titles, and a well-written non-VR game can take good advantage of crossfire, so there is a plus there. Based on the numbers, still probably not a good choice right now for dedicated VR, but I certainly am not going to invest the cash necessary for a computer to only use it in VR.

35. britjh22

britjh22 Limp Gawd

Hey Kyle, cool little article and nice to see that the next generation multi card tech might just live up to expectations. Is Affinity-mGPU one of the methods that doesn't require the same texture information to be shared between cards like traditional SLI and Xfire? If that were the case than a pair of 4GB cards shouldn't actually be much of an issue I would think, as the individual eye screen's resolution isn't too high for 4GB VRAM I would think. I remember some methods of mGPU (implicit, explicit, can't keep it straight) would not have to mirror VRAM information like ye olde days.

36. Kyle_Bennett

I do not know for sure. I have been trying to get a meeting with AMD on VR for months now....they will not speak to me since we started telling the truth about the RX 480 and its VR prowess. As for the documentation online about Affinity mGPU, it is pretty light on content, at least what I have found. That said, let me as your question specifically to AMD and see if I get a response.

37. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

If someone has 2 rx46ô or can it be 480 plus mb glu would be cool to see performance

38. jbc029

jbc029 Limp Gawd

Thank you for the follow up,Kyle. In the original review of SSVR, you mentioned that there are enough options available to turn on that it would crush any card on the market. You've shown that dual RX480s effectively give the same performance as a 1070 (at 20% more cost), but will you be exploring whether or not the performance hit of some more advanced options might now be viable in an mGPU setup?

39. Kyle_Bennett

Currently no. I kept with "minimal" settings I could tweak so I do not get browbeat by the fanboys for "picking all the settings that show company X in a bad light." You can even go into the Performance menu pictured in the review and turn things up in there as well, and it will put a TITAN X into Reprojection.

Also, SSVR is very much in flux currently with updates, so I think we want to wait a bit before revisiting it.

NVIDIA did reach out this morning and let us know that Trials on Tatooine now supports NVSLI in VR.

40. jbc029

jbc029 Limp Gawd

Thank you for the quick response.