We're beyond K-O territory now. One vender isn't even entering the ring.

I've played the original SeriousSam back in 2000 . It was a very entertaining FPS.:)
I wonder how it would look like in a VR enviroment.

I have been having problems with Flash video with the last 3 driver sets at least. Even HTML5 video on Twitch makes my RX 480 go spastic. They mentioned it as a known issue in the latest driver batch. I also want to mention that I have to reinstall the drivers sometimes as Windows Update in Win 10 Pro will revert to an old AMD driver. Why? Don't know. It's annoying as hell though!

The continued early access games are becoming a turn off to VR, at least for me. Love Serious Sam but would hate to start an incomplete version of it.

Not ready to take the plunge into VR yet but this will definitely go on the list when I do. Graphics look pretty good. Very Doom like. Love it!

I wouldn't give my 1080's up for anything(except Titans of course) but glad to see that NVidia's x70's are still a great value per performance. I loved my 970's so much that I repurposed them back into my old rig for 1080p gaming because they slightly outperformed the 980m SLI in my GT80.

Sorry to hear that AMD is still missing out on another frontier. I had hoped better for them.

Freaky Friday, your review just inspired me to get a Gigabyte 1070 g1 gaming. I bought this game, but havn't ran it on my 970 yet, and after seen this, was time to pull the trigger.

Don't like taking sides but this shows AMD really not caring about removing that stick left by the dead horse.

Not to mention a bad showing with LiquidVR doesn't bode a lot of confidence.

The continued early access games are becoming a turn off to VR, at least for me. Love Serious Sam but would hate to start an incomplete version of it.
Then do not buy early access games. By definition they are incomplete.

Could this get any worse for AMD?

They keep talking up their product but every single test you see makes them look like a bunch of desperate, dishonest fools.

So it's a prettier Space Pirate Trainer? Or does it not even have the small area for movement and ducking that SPT does?

So it's a prettier Space Pirate Trainer? Or does it not even have the small area for movement and ducking that SPT does?

It shows Room Scale as an option, so I imagine you can at least move around within your own room.

At least some good news from the Developer regarding the only benefit to AMD right now: However they are adding in VRWorks SLI which will then just give the performance crown right back to nVidia. Reference: 2 gig update?? no update notes! :: Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope General Discussions
Just checked my email and Croteam sent me a mail about 5 hours ago I missed....

Hi Kyle,

I read your excellent article on testing GPUs with SSVR. You got some great data there, thanks for laying down all the details!

Just wanted to clarify the LiquidVR mention from our update... At the moment, the game only supports LiquidVR in mGPU mode. So if you have 2x 480 it will render much faster, as each GPU renders one eye. The support for single-GPU stereo is coming in the next few days, hopefully.

Great stuff!

AMD RX 480 X 2 mGPU almost catches GTX 1070/980 Ti. Still had a couple of SteamVR BSODs with the RX 480, but after a couple tried it did work and worked well.

That said, these are $250 8GB cards and the GTX 1070 can be had now for $400, so not exactly a win, but GREAT to see mGPU working in a big title like this.

I am about to head out to a concert, and will do some verification tests later and update the article.

RX 480 mGPU.png

8.755ms average GPU Render Time for RX 480 8GB mGPU can be compared to the numbers below.

upload_2016-10-21_18-57-41.png

Don't like taking sides but this shows AMD really not caring about removing that stick left by the dead horse.

Not to mention a bad showing with LiquidVR doesn't bode a lot of confidence.
Just amazing how AMD hypes all their hypes their products yet fails to deliver.

I actually don't see this as a positive for AMD. They market the 480 specifically as a VR card, but my take away from the [H] article is that you need two of them top make it work properly. Why not just save $100 and not have to deal with AMD's drivers and get better performance with a 1070?

So you mention that 2x 480s isn't a good value but I could see 2x 470s providing almost identical perf and coming in at $340 with the reduced pricing it starts to look a lot better.

Granted its a setup that works well for exactly ONE game so far but sill very interesting.

I do think it would only be fair to continue re-testing some of these games as patches and driver updates come out - many are betas so there should be plenty of opportunity for them to improve.

So you mention that 2x 480s isn't a good value but I could see 2x 470s providing almost identical perf and coming in at $340 with the reduced pricing it starts to look a lot better.

Granted its a setup that works well for exactly ONE game so far but sill very interesting.

I do think it would only be fair to continue re-testing some of these games as patches and driver updates come out - many are betas so there should be plenty of opportunity for them to improve.

So now that would be interesting. But does [H] have 2 470s?

So the mGpu working is a good sign, and I could see value here, if you are not doing dedicated VR. The 480 holds its own in non-VR titles, and a well-written non-VR game can take good advantage of crossfire, so there is a plus there. Based on the numbers, still probably not a good choice right now for dedicated VR, but I certainly am not going to invest the cash necessary for a computer to only use it in VR.

Hey Kyle, cool little article and nice to see that the next generation multi card tech might just live up to expectations. Is Affinity-mGPU one of the methods that doesn't require the same texture information to be shared between cards like traditional SLI and Xfire? If that were the case than a pair of 4GB cards shouldn't actually be much of an issue I would think, as the individual eye screen's resolution isn't too high for 4GB VRAM I would think. I remember some methods of mGPU (implicit, explicit, can't keep it straight) would not have to mirror VRAM information like ye olde day..
I do not know for sure. I have been trying to get a meeting with AMD on VR for months now....they will not speak to me since we started telling the truth about the RX 480 and its VR prowess. As for the documentation online about Affinity mGPU, it is pretty light on content, at least what I have found. That said, let me as your question specifically to AMD and see if I get a response.

If someone has 2 rx46ô or can it be 480 plus mb glu would be cool to see performance

Thank you for the follow up,Kyle. In the original review of SSVR, you mentioned that there are enough options available to turn on that it would crush any card on the market. You've shown that dual RX480s effectively give the same performance as a 1070 (at 20% more cost), but will you be exploring whether or not the performance hit of some more advanced options might now be viable in an mGPU setup?

Thank you for the follow up,Kyle. In the original review of SSVR, you mentioned that there are enough options available to turn on that it would crush any card on the market. You've shown that dual RX480s effectively give the same performance as a 1070 (at 20% more cost), but will you be exploring whether or not the performance hit of some more advanced options might now be viable in an mGPU setup?
Currently no. I kept with "minimal" settings I could tweak so I do not get browbeat by the fanboys for "picking all the settings that show company X in a bad light." You can even go into the Performance menu pictured in the review and turn things up in there as well, and it will put a TITAN X into Reprojection.

Also, SSVR is very much in flux currently with updates, so I think we want to wait a bit before revisiting it.

NVIDIA did reach out this morning and let us know that Trials on Tatooine now supports NVSLI in VR.

nice follow up article! it was mentioned that;

"Affinity Multi-GPU: faster multi-GPU performance - Affinity Multi-GPU delivers significantly increased stereo rendering performance when using two or more GPUs. By assigning one or more GPUs to each eye and intelligently partitioning workload, Affinity Multi-GPU can cut rendering time nearly in half while doubling bandwidth and computational resources.

So the simple explanation is that when we use two-GPU mGPU in a VR rendered game, each card is responsible for the image in each eye. I am not sure how it works with more than two GPUs, and AMD does allude to that being a possibility in its quote above."

are you guys looking into this? it was be interest to see what 4 cards would do. you know, for science, shits and giggles!

Implementing LiquidVR™ Affinity Multi-GPU support in Serious Sam VR
http://gpuopen.com/implementing-liquidvr-affinity-multigpu-in-serious-samvr/

Summary
We needed about a week to modify all shaders and to make sure that correct data is set for each eye. Single pass rendering with Affinity Multi-GPU gave us a huge speed improvement on both CPU and GPU from our original VR implementation. In the end, it took us less time to do single pass rendering correctly than it took us to fix all the problems caused by multi pass multi-GPU rendering.

Karlo Jez is an engine programmer at Croteam, currently working on Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. Links to third party sites and references to third party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.

Reactions: noko
like this
Implementing LiquidVR™ Affinity Multi-GPU support in Serious Sam VR
http://gpuopen.com/implementing-liquidvr-affinity-multigpu-in-serious-samvr/

Summary
We needed about a week to modify all shaders and to make sure that correct data is set for each eye. Single pass rendering with Affinity Multi-GPU gave us a huge speed improvement on both CPU and GPU from our original VR implementation. In the end, it took us less time to do single pass rendering correctly than it took us to fix all the problems caused by multi pass multi-GPU rendering.

Karlo Jez is an engine programmer at Croteam, currently working on Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. Links to third party sites and references to third party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.
Some great stuff, looks like they found out Multi-GPU was easier to implement then first thought. Hopefully that information will be spread around for other developers to take advantage of. That is how OpenGPU works where a developer can share data and how too's without having to get approval from a body or company with questions, restrictions and waits before release or not.

Cant wait for mGPU support on the green team!
Can you walk/run in the game or is it just teleport from place to place?
Yes you can walk/run around in your room-scale area to dodge projectiles. No teleporting.

Last edited:
That is encouraging, maybe I need to get a Vive and another 1070 - Love the Serious Sam Series. Wished this was the full game and not a work in progress.

Back