AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Serious Sam VR:TLH @ [H]

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 21, 2016.

1. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

nice follow up article! it was mentioned that;

"Affinity Multi-GPU: faster multi-GPU performance - Affinity Multi-GPU delivers significantly increased stereo rendering performance when using two or more GPUs. By assigning one or more GPUs to each eye and intelligently partitioning workload, Affinity Multi-GPU can cut rendering time nearly in half while doubling bandwidth and computational resources.

So the simple explanation is that when we use two-GPU mGPU in a VR rendered game, each card is responsible for the image in each eye. I am not sure how it works with more than two GPUs, and AMD does allude to that being a possibility in its quote above."

are you guys looking into this? it was be interest to see what 4 cards would do. you know, for science, shits and giggles!

2. Sith'ari

Sith'ari Gawd

wow!! What an extremely professional behaviour from AMD !! :sick:
    ( Maybe they should send you the results directly by e-mail, and you just make them public, in order for you to appease them ! )

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  3. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Implementing LiquidVR™ Affinity Multi-GPU support in Serious Sam VR
    http://gpuopen.com/implementing-liquidvr-affinity-multigpu-in-serious-samvr/

Summary
    We needed about a week to modify all shaders and to make sure that correct data is set for each eye. Single pass rendering with Affinity Multi-GPU gave us a huge speed improvement on both CPU and GPU from our original VR implementation. In the end, it took us less time to do single pass rendering correctly than it took us to fix all the problems caused by multi pass multi-GPU rendering.

Karlo Jez is an engine programmer at Croteam, currently working on Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. Links to third party sites and references to third party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.

noko likes this.
  4. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Some great stuff, looks like they found out Multi-GPU was easier to implement then first thought. Hopefully that information will be spread around for other developers to take advantage of. That is how OpenGPU works where a developer can share data and how too's without having to get approval from a body or company with questions, restrictions and waits before release or not.

5. Swolern

Swolern Limp Gawd

Cant wait for mGPU support on the green team!
    Yes you can walk/run around in your room-scale area to dodge projectiles. No teleporting.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  6. Swolern

Swolern Limp Gawd

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  7. noko

noko 2[H]4U

That is encouraging, maybe I need to get a Vive and another 1070 - Love the Serious Sam Series. Wished this was the full game and not a work in progress.

8. noko

noko 2[H]4U

This is a rather fun game except it has only 2 Missions available (each having multiple levels) while the other missions in the menu just says coming soon. Game works flawless and does work in SLI but too short at this point.

9. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Just been updated with the third planet, sword and sniper rifle. Should be four levels as well for the new planet. So some fun later today.

DPI, Kyle_Bennett and Swolern like this.
  10. Swolern

Swolern Limp Gawd

Been waiting for that update. Thanks!

11. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Played for around 4 hours - awesome update. Took awhile to get use to the new sword and be able to aim with it.

Asynchronous projection is a god send for the Nano. Playing this title on the I7/Nano rig on Ultra settings for graphics and CPU. Frame rate does not jump down to 45 and then back to 90 any longer. It will smoothly go slower then 90 to 85, 84 etc. like playing a regular game. I was experimenting with making recordings showing game play and data. For the most part it is ok but the recording affects the game play as well. Might be worth investigating further.

12. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ [H]ardness Supreme

I'm surprised that oculus offered up good money for this game. I didn't get any roomscale warnings for it which is why I put off superhot. Superhot ended up playing fine in my small play space. This game not so much. You need to actively quickly dodge and need some good space to do so. At least if you want to have any fun with the game. This was actually the first title that I've ever returned on steam. Very surprising since I'm a huge fan of serious sam. Ended up spending the money on the first encounter which was as great as expected.

I may revisit the last hope if I ever set up the rift in a larger room or it goes on deep discount.