AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October

Hopefully the final sample uses a much quieter fan. Amd reference blowers are jet engine loud.

They can just order a better fan. It's not like Nvidia built their coolers so much as they sourced them; those sources, or competing sources, should be available to AMD too. They just have to be willing to bolt them on.

Cool looking? Yes. But it does show ports pushing air back into the case; and that's a no-no, though the airflow looks like it will be minimal and this doesn't look like a high-TDP part (I haven't gotten oriented on the new naming craziness yet).

Pitcairn replacement so around 7950 performance at <150w TDP.
Edit- The pictures are of the cutdown part, so less than 7950 performance, probably around 7870.
The part around 7950 performance will have probably have 2 6pins or one 8pin.

Hmm.... I thought only the flagship (or, at most, the top two cards) were going to be unveiled/produced this year. But if they're leaking lower ranged cards...they can't possibly unveil majority of the lineup on Sept 25, right?

Well they have had about 2 years to design these chips so maybe they can do it.

Been following this for a while. Can't wait for Wednesday.
Will most likely upgrade to a pair of the top card they release. Now I have to sell my 7970s and find the cash to cover the rest as I spent most of my fun money on Star Citizen lol. Anyone want to buy a Star Citizen Idris-M with full LTI?

I might be interested ;)

I'd be tempted to go AMD if these cards have great price/performance ratio. However, I really want to wait for the next gen 20nm cards. I want to be able to run a 120hz monitor on a single card without breaking the bank.

A few things keep me from really embracing amd,

AMD doesn't have PhysX which I love in Borderlands 2, Metro Last Light, Planetside 2, Warframe, upcoming Batman Origins, Alice etc...

AMD doesn't have great 3d, I really want to try a lightboost monitor with Nvidia 3d 2.0

AMD doesn't have Shadowplay or great crossfire support.

AMD has a bad rep for driver support and microstuttering which would be even worse on a lightboost monitor.

I'd be tempted to go AMD if these cards have great price/performance ratio. However, I really want to wait for the next gen 20nm cards. I want to be able to run a 120hz monitor on a single card without breaking the bank.

A few things keep me from really embracing amd,

AMD doesn't have PhysX which I love in Borderlands 2, Metro Last Light, Planetside 2, Warframe, upcoming Batman Origins, Alice etc...

AMD doesn't have great 3d, I really want to try a lightboost monitor with Nvidia 3d 2.0

AMD doesn't have Shadowplay or great crossfire support.

AMD has a bad rep for driver support and microstuttering which would be even worse on a lightboost monitor.

There's no guarantee Maxwell will be 20nm. Shadowplay was promised in June, we don't have it yet, and we're being offered a Beta in the (near) future. That's gonna be a while.

AMD recently brushed up on their driver support, specifically their Crossfire drivers, such that they are beating SLI in some cases micro-stutter-wise (and their frametimes are better with theior single card solutions overall, noit that that is a big deal).

So according to this link, this new card is faster than the titan & 780. Might or might not be true, but I will be buying one of these on the spot ;).

Would love to see a max oc'ed comparison. Gk110 has a lot of headroom, once you bios flash + afterburner softmod.

Edit: The majority of leaked gpu benches in the past, were usually off from the final results. If those results end up being true, AMD has themselves a winner.

Last edited:
So according to this link, this new card is faster than the titan & 780. Might or might not be true, but I will be buying one of these on the spot ;).

Would love to see a max oc'ed comparison. Gk110 has a lot of headroom, once you bios flash + afterburner softmod.

Edit: The majority of leaked gpu benches in the past, were usually off from the final results. If those results end up being true, AMD has themselves a winner.
Yeah, if true, a $599 AMD card that's as good if not better than a $999 Nvidia card is going to be a killer.

Yeah, if true, a $599 AMD card that's as good if not better than a $999 Nvidia card is going to be a killer.

I think $599 is an excellent introduction price for GTX780~Titan performance. If they're willing to weld some VRAM to it, I'll take at least two.

Well AMD did say that they didn't want to compete against the fastest card in the world in the 7990. Slaying the Titan is still a pretty good achievement though. Especially at almost 1/2 price. :)

Mid to late october from what I've heard. Basically before bf4 launches, we should expect this card to be available.

I thought paper launches were a thing of the past...you mean no buying the card on Sept 25th??

October 2nd should be the date for consumer availability, if my AMD rep is to be believed...

I was excited about the card initially...lost interest after hearing it might only match a GTX 780...but now my interest is peaked again after hearing the latest rumors...if they price it correctly then this could be a monster

I'm debating water cooling my second 780. Waiting on benchmarks of amd now. Maybe ill sell both cards.maybe not.

If i under stand right with the different SP counts shown , we could be looking at the HD7950 replacement (2560 sp) or there saving the higher SP for Titan Ultra or we havn't seen the HD7970 replacement benchmarks yet if it's the 2880sp card.

it only matters that the new cards beat a 780...Titan is irrelevant except in name only...the 780 is the gaming card while Titan is more of a workstation card that happens to do well in gaming...plus the difference between a 780 and a Titan is around 10% so it would be pretty difficult for AMD to beat one and not the other

this chip seems to be a very good performer. at high res and high MSAA its consistently on par or faster than Titan.

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-862351-1-1.html

http://translate.google.com/transla...UTF-8&u=http://udteam.tistory.com/539&act=url

And if AMD has achieved all this at 440 sq mm and within 250W TDP then kudos to them. :)

Wow, if the performance numbers are true, and the price is right $550 maybe up to $600 I will definitely be buying two this year and finally be building an all new rig.

I'm looking forward to this card and I hope it will not be overhyped. 512-bit memory bus seems nice, maybe the first step towards stable 60fps at 4K ? I also hope this includes HDMI 2.0 and a reference blower-style cooler, which is in the neighbourhood of the Titan cooler's performance.

Cuz more vramssss makes the card fasterssss........ lol :eek:
Offtopic: He was advocating 8GB for new cards in this topic because the next-gen consoles have more memory, he won't quit about it so we best leave it or this topic will also fall apart into another "IdiotInCharge demands more VRAM"-topic.

I'm looking forward to this card and I hope it will not be overhyped. 512-bit memory bus seems nice, maybe the first step towards stable 60fps at 4K ? I also hope this includes HDMI 2.0 and a reference blower-style cooler, which is in the neighbourhood of the Titan cooler's performance.

HDMI 2.0 will depend on when they started to manufacture the cards - the standard of 2.0 has been made during first days of IFA at beginning of September. So the question is, if AMD had enough time to change the design, to upgrade to 2.0 ports, and if they had enough time to manufacture cards withy that port.

But, taking that 2.0 is a song of future, as it's only needed for 4k screens which, for the next two maybe more years, will be available only for very rich people, and has several drawbacks, like very strict DRM control, that will not allow playback of non-authorized files, I'd out they will go that route. I'm thinking of next year's refresh with HDMI 2.1 which corrects the possible bugs of 2.0 :)

Slightly faster than Titan? In many cases, looks like a wash to me really... it loses in some to the 780 but wins in others. The BF3 bench was really the only one that stood out, nice gains there.

Regardless, the numbers look good to me. Hopefully the OC headroom is comparable to 7970. If they price this card at around $500-550, it'll be a must buy. At $600+ I'm not sure if that'll sway people from the NV side to go AMD, based on those numbers.

Last edited:
Slightly faster than Titan? In many cases, looks like a wash to me really... it loses in some to the 780 but wins in others. The BF3 bench was really the only one that stood out, nice gains there.

I think most will be absolutely ok with the new card if those benches are true. It only loses in Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3 on low res and Metro. If its $500-$600 then it will be a complete winner.

If these cards are only as fast as the 780, I am going to be extremely disappointed and would have to consider it a fail (and I don't think an increase or 5 - 10% is going to cut it either). About the only people who would buy this are the ones who are AMD fanboys (I'm one of them) or those who haven't already upgraded to Nvidia's 700 series. They really need to exceed the 700 series (I don't know, maybe a minimum of 15 -20%), and keep the cycle going of one card from one company being better and then the next one from the other company. I don't think it bodes well for AMD if Nvidia's cards are always better or equal (at least at the top end).

Exceed the 700 series? I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that AMD's top card should exceed nVidia's by 15%-20% (Minimum?), the only way you'll see that is if AMD's tech is ~50% more powerful/mm², or possibly AMD builds a larger chip than nVidia. nVidia would really have to fail for the first to happen and because AMD does not like operating in the yield area of chips like GK110 the 2nd isn't very likely. Selling chips like GK110 to consumers is not a money making proposition. That's why you are seeing the harvested chips sold in the Geforce line. As far as exceeding the rest of the line, AMD generally does. It's just been the top chip lately, and then only the top bin, that they haven't exceeded.

What AMD needs to do is quit being such an easy target for nVidia. GK104 was never faster than Tahiti, but AMD, in order to increase yields and present a lower TDP, I'm assuming, set the base clock too low on the original reference card and then couldn't figure out how to overcome the perception their card was slower. They had crossfire issues and refused to address them until nVidia actually released hardware to measure the problem and expose it in black and white. Then they played dumb, like they weren't aware of it. nVidia comes out with the GTX 770 and somehow it's a new card and worth buying. It's exactly the same as the 7970GHz is vs. the original 7970, boosted clocks with some new firmware. Why do people talk like nVidia has come out with something new but the 7970 (GHz forgotten) has been around for almost 2 years? It's still GK104 and has been around for basically just as long. This is all AMD's fault because value is a perception by the buyer. AMD just throws their hardware out there and attempts to let it speak for itself. It leaves people with unrealistic expectations like you seem to have.

so the pre-release hype stating that it would be more powerful then a Titan was BS?...now it might only be as fast or maybe a bit faster then a GTX 780?...what happened to this card being the new 9700 Pro?...oh AMD you almost got me to switch back...guess now I'll just wait for Maxwell

When did AMD say anything about Hawaii being faster than Titan?

Not relevant for me. My cards are already faster than Titan stock and I don't have any games requiring more horse power. Good purchase for HD 7970/GTX 670 or below users.

The real point is that what went into the GTX680 was an evolution of the part that went into the GTX460/560- and that it was more than competitive with AMD's top end. The real failure is on AMD for not improving performance, both from a hardware standpoint and from a driver standpoint.

Case in 'point': if you bought one of those HD7970's with the hope of getting a second for a Crossfire/Eyefinity setup, or you did get the second (or third) card, you're still screwed because AMD hasn't managed to fix their drivers yet. They didn't even know they were broke (or will never admit that they knew). But if you bought Nvidia cards, you were set from the get-go; you had a faster, quieter solution that actually worked and delivered value, and a large part of that was Nvidia delivering an efficient, mid-range part with a decent cooling, that could actually deliver the performance without sounding like a dustbuster. Hell, you could put two or three in a smaller enclosure using a positive-pressure setup with stock coolers. Just getting the AMD cards to get that quiet meant using at least a large third-party open-air cooler and a larger enclosure with a higher flowing, carefully balanced cooling setup.

Nvidia won the last generation on so many levels; in retrospect, they won it even more than it really seemed at the time, by delivering more value for both their customers and their shareholders.

And really, this isn't a good thing for gaming- AMD refocused on compute this last generation, likely trying to get into the 'Tesla' market of compute products, throwing a lot of transistors at stuff that doesn't make games faster, while Nvidia's mid-range product (unlike their top-end product that failed at the foundry) didn't have any of that stuff. Essentially, AMD made smaller versions of the same products that Nvidia did, with a larger compute-focused GPU and a smaller (HD7870) GPU lacking the strong compute resources focused on gaming. And that meant them being slower at every performance level die-for-die, which meant that they made far less than Nvidia did- they could have shipped three times the product and they still would have took home less pay.

So here's hoping that this generation is different- here's hoping AMD refocuses their product line to better compete with their rival, and they get all of the other important stuff like drivers and cooling right too.

My personal interest here, of course, is in trying to power next-generation games on a 4k display- I'm going to need more than one card, and lots of VRAM, and damn good driver support. Nvidia has that, but they're going to charge an arm and a leg- or at least they will, if AMD doesn't show up to this fight.

The failure is on the people who willingly paid $500 for a card they considered a mid range SKU and then blamed AMD.

I saw techspot had the unofficial spec's (along with a couple other websites) for the upcoming flagship card and it does look impressive. If what is posted is true or near it then how can you not think it will compete with the 780's?

Wishful thinking by nVidia fans?

Wow for $599 USD is a bit steep in my opinion but if the performance is good. I'm buying two :D

That's a 512bit 4gig card. What if it's going to take 4gig of RAM to keep up this gen because of the new consoles? If anyone should know this, it's AMD. Really be a shame if people's $650+ 780's don't have enough RAM.

That's a 512bit 4gig card. What if it's going to take 4gig of RAM to keep up this gen because of the new consoles? If anyone should know this, it's AMD. Really be a shame if people's $650+ 780's don't have enough RAM.

might even need 8gb heh.
and if so, such cards are coming.

Back