AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Source - http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130819PD204.html

AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 20 August 2013]

As AMD is set to announce its next-generation high-end GPU codenamed Hawaii, graphics card players including Asustek Computer, Micro-Star International (MSI) and PowerColor are expected to start mass shipping related products in October, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

To welcome its new high-end products, AMD has started cutting prices for its Radeon HD 7000 series products including the HD 7990 recently.

As for Nvidia, since the GPU maker is seeing weaker-than-expected profits, the company is unlikely to launch a price cut immediately, but will observe Hawaii's performance before making a move, the sources noted.

Gamers should look for the Maui-based X420-series cards.

No word on performance yet... I wish we could at least get an official hint about features or performance from AMD...

No word on performance yet... I wish we could at least get an official hint about features or performance from AMD...

They are still over a month away from release. AMD generally never lets any info slip until launch day.

Whelp, need to save 1400$ by October in anticipation.

Almost thought the same thing, before realizing that no great games are coming out soon to utilize upgrade -_-

BF4 maybe, but I have a feeling it's not going to push many limits since that would mean less $$$ from the overwhelming percentage of consumers who can barely play BF3 on their computers.

The timing seems right for me to finally retire my now venerable 5870+5830 combo.

Either a new card (if there is no obvious price gouging), or a deal on a few 79xx cards will do! :D

Looking forward to this...

Almost thought the same thing, before realizing that no great games are coming out soon to utilize upgrade -_-

BF4 maybe, but I have a feeling it's not going to push many limits since that would mean less $$$ from the overwhelming percentage of consumers who can barely play BF3 on their computers.

I'll be attempting to max out Rome 2 at 4320x2560

I wonder if I should sell my 7870 now in anticipation...I WANT a faster graphics card, but I don't really NEED a faster card. Depends on the cost of the new cards. Also, the 7870 has held up better than I thought it would for the cheap price tag it carries.

My only questions are, price and timing of releases. When is the 9950 coming to market and how much will it be?

Of course, no one knows...

They are still over a month away from release. AMD generally never lets any info slip until launch day.

LoL. There are many times that this hasn't been the case.
Some people knew exactly what Tahiti was a good 6months before launch.

It may be an idea, you know: if the "HD9700" is as fast as say, a 7870... that would be one heck of a card for a 1080p living-room gaming machine.

LoL. There are many times that this hasn't been the case.
Some people knew exactly what Tahiti was a good 6months before launch.

Some people may have guessed, but generally AMD are better at keeping info from been leaked than Nvidia. Look at 4, 5 and 6 series cards from them, especially the 4 and 6 series. So I don't really know where you get your "many times" from.

Some people may have guessed, but generally AMD are better at keeping info from been leaked than Nvidia. Look at 4, 5 and 6 series cards from them, especially the 4 and 6 series. So I don't really know where you get your "many times" from.

I agree. The 4 series blew me away the day it came out I remember reading the reviews and buying one a week later. Still got that 512mb 4870 in my 2nd rig. Anyway, I had no idea how fast that thing was going to be for the price until hardocp had the review out. That was a really fun time :)

My overclocked MSI 7970's should be more than enough to handle BF4 -- even after I get a new monitor and go to 2560x1440

If I really wanted to go crazy I could pull in the other 7970 and 7950 in my LTC mining rig but would need a better mobo and PSU (Corsair 850 wouldnt cut it)

I don't have any huge crazy hopes for the next gen cards - I have all the GPU power I need for gaming.... (even at 2560x1440) only way I'm going to want one of these babies is if they have some crazy bump in compute performance. (say ~1200Khash/sec per GPU) (7970=650 to 700)

My overclocked MSI 7970's should be more than enough to handle BF4 -- even after I get a new monitor and go to 2560x1440

If I really wanted to go crazy I could pull in the other 7970 and 7950 in my LTC mining rig but would need a better mobo and PSU (Corsair 850 wouldnt cut it)

I don't have any huge crazy hopes for the next gen cards - I have all the GPU power I need for gaming.... (even at 2560x1440) only way I'm going to want one of these babies is if they have some crazy bump in compute performance. (say ~1200Khash/sec per GPU) (7970=650 to 700)

this.

2x79xx can dominate on 1440p still on high settings

not that I am not tempted to shoebox some cash for em anyways. I imagine I would get washed on my 7950's if I waited till then to sell them

So, erm, what should I do? I'm building a new computer soon and I'm having doubts about buying a 7850 for 180€ (that's about $250; please don't question the price, that's how things go here) and then seeing a "9850" come out a month after I've assembled everything. If the midstream is going to come early next year, I'm fine with that, but if it doesn't... oh, the regret.

I think quadfire 9970's will be the first graphics setup that can reliably run eyefinity 2560p. I would hope that AMD would shoot for this.

So, erm, what should I do? I'm building a new computer soon and I'm having doubts about buying a 7850 for 180€ (that's about $250; please don't question the price, that's how things go here) and then seeing a "9850" come out a month after I've assembled everything. If the midstream is going to come early next year, I'm fine with that, but if it doesn't... oh, the regret.

Erm, I question the price? Euros? You're in the EU, buy from Germany. Hardwareversand.de. 19 flat fee for shipping in Europe. Good prices.

I think quadfire 9970's will be the first graphics setup that can reliably run eyefinity 2560p. I would hope that AMD would shoot for this.

Quad fire has never showed any degree of scaling in any game.
NEVER.
And i am not even talking about FCAT results, which amd beta drivers have not fixed in trifre nor eyefinity setups.

i believe Vega had some sucess in multiSLI-ing titans for 3x1440p. If you are shooting for 60Hz, 3x1600p is not that much of challenge compared against 3x1080p@120Hz.

I need 2 of these to attempt to power 3x30". Something tells me it still won't be enough.

Maybe you do not need that much.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039844796&postcount=196
Vega 2[H]4U, 8.9 Years

I don't have any exact numbers, but the only two games that can use the 4th Titan are Farcry3 and Crysis 3 maxed out. Everything else is CPU limited. Two cards play 50+% games fine, I'd say another 35% use a 3rd card and the 4th rarely. Just too much powa.

this is in 3x1080p@120hz. Which is comparable with 3x30" at 60hz.

1920x1080x120=248832000
2560x1600x60 =245760000

By CPU limited Vega meant that a 3970K @ 5.1Ghz is too weak:eek:

Maybe you do not need that much.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039844796&postcount=196
Vega 2[H]4U, 8.9 Years

I don't have any exact numbers, but the only two games that can use the 4th Titan are Farcry3 and Crysis 3 maxed out. Everything else is CPU limited. Two cards play 50+% games fine, I'd say another 35% use a 3rd card and the 4th rarely. Just too much powa.

this is in 3x1080p@120hz. Which is comparable with 3x30" at 60hz.

1920x1080x120=248832000
2560x1600x60 =245760000

By CPU limited Vega meant that a 3970K @ 5.1Ghz is too weak:eek:

Being CPU limited has nothing to do with resolution. You are far more likely to be CPU limited trying to push 120Hz than 60Hz, regardless of resolution. Your formula shows the GPU load, nothing to do with CPU.

Being CPU limited has nothing to do with resolution. You are far more likely to be CPU limited trying to push 120Hz than 60Hz, regardless of resolution. Your formula shows the GPU load, nothing to do with CPU.

I dont't see how your statement can defeat my argument that you don't actually need quadfire 9970 to run 3x1600p@60Hz.

-If my numbers show the GPU load, and 3x1600p@60Hz is less GPU load than 3x1080p@120hz, then my argument that tri-sli titans can do the job remains unchallanged.

-If 120Hz is more CPU limited you can expect even better sli scaling at 60hz than that showed in Vega's system.

Better question is, when will there bet water blocks available :)

haha indeed.

I am not interested in a 9970 or 9950 until water blocks are available for them. My 7950 crossfire under water will be fine till then anyway.

I'm planning on upgrading to a Radeon 9970 next month (back to AMD after a few generations with Nvidia)...I'm hoping they can surprise us with a 20nm part

I'm planning on upgrading to a Radeon 9970 next month (back to AMD after a few generations with Nvidia)...I'm hoping they can surprise us with a 20nm part

That's not going to happen. It is going to be a 28nm card.

That's not going to happen. It is going to be a 28nm card.

if it was 20nm then I could definitely see all the pre-release hype being true...with it on 28nm I'm not so sure how much of a performance advantage it will have

I just retuned my 7950 to get another 7950 but... but maybe I'll wait for the 9950? Any idea on what the price would be like? Doesn't AMD have some kind of proper unveil later this month?

Back