AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October

I'm a little disappointed in the rumored price, but my hopes were a bit unrealistic in the first place. I've never been interested in the Titan so I'm looking at this card in comparison to the 780. Right now the leaked slides show a card that:
- has been pre-overclocked by the reviewer
- beats what I'm assuming is a stock 780 in most situations
- is rumored to cost $600-$650

If this card ends up $500-$550 I'll stay up late on release night like a methed-out nerd and buy it. If it's really $600-$650 I'll have to weigh this against a used 780. If it includes BF4 that's essentially $60 off for me so that'll help sway me. Guess I'll see once official info rolls out. Either way I'm excited for reviews.

the 600 buck card is a "Titan killer" there will be a card one step lower in the 400-500 buck range that will in line with the 780

I'm disappointed. I expected at least 8 or 16 gigs of vram. This crap is ridiculous. How can I future proof my computer with such trash? Guess I'll wait for Nvidia's Mega Titan with 12 gigs of vram to smoke this piece of crap. :D

Children. I'll still be waiting for the 8GB version; lap up all the 4GB cards you want!

Well, I don't really care about 20 different ways to apply anti-aliasing, sli is not microstutter free, and Nvidia seems to have way more shills on forums trying to influence buyers.

so ya, maybe 3d, but that makes me nauseous and is a gimmick anyways, so I guess we will just disagree.
Which games are causing microstutter? I haven't had any microstutter in games since I went SLi with my 670s and am on my third set of SLi configurations with the 780s.

Care to name some games?

Which games are causing microstutter? I haven't had any microstutter in games since I went SLi with my 670s and am on my third set of SLi configurations with the 780s.

Care to name some games?

I doubt he will; my 2GB GTX670s tamed BF3 at 1600p. SLI seems to be working just fine lately.

I'm honestly disappointed. With this level of performance there is no way in hell nvidia is gonna bother touching the prices of titan/780, unless Ati really sells it under 400€... :mad:

Again, they will lower the price when people quit buying it and not a day sooner. People paid $1000 for Titan! LOL

I'm a little disappointed in the rumored price, but my hopes were a bit unrealistic in the first place. I've never been interested in the Titan so I'm looking at this card in comparison to the 780. Right now the leaked slides show a card that:
- has been pre-overclocked by the reviewer
- beats what I'm assuming is a stock 780 in most situations
- is rumored to cost $600-$650

If this card ends up $500-$550 I'll stay up late on release night like a methed-out nerd and buy it. If it's really $600-$650 I'll have to weigh this against a used 780. If it includes BF4 that's essentially $60 off for me so that'll help sway me. Guess I'll see once official info rolls out. Either way I'm excited for reviews.

The quote is that it turbos to 1050 and somehow he twisted that to meaning manually O/C'd. nVidia has boost that increases clocks above the base clock as well. Unlike AMD's turbo (unless they've changed it) which is fixed, it's often to much higher clocks than is stated.

Well, I don't really care about 20 different ways to apply anti-aliasing, sli is not microstutter free, and Nvidia seems to have way more shills on forums trying to influence buyers.

Or you know people actually have positive user experience with Nvidia cards.

After 2x6850 crossfire i don't plan to buy any AMD card in next few years because I lost 50 euro selling those cards as they simply didn't work together in any acceptable manner.

Unless Nvidia pulls shit as big as they did with FX 5800 of course.

I like to use SGSSAA where ever I can but it's pretty costly. At any point where I can't use SGSSAA however I almost always just switch to SMAA (maybe with 2xMSAA to compliment), I just can't justify the huge performance hit you get from running high level MSAA these days when SMAA looks more or less on par, does the whole scene and costs next to nothing.

I know what you mean. I can't get away with too much SGSSAA at 2560x1440 on a pair of GTX680s. Although I do find even 2x SGSSAA to look great with that sort of pixel density. I don't even use SMAA that often since there are still a ton of jaggies. I prefer to use a combination of MSAA and transparency ssaa when possible.

Again, they will lower the price when people quit buying it and not a day sooner. People paid $1000 for Titan! LOL

Not only did people pay that but it was hard to find for a couple of months. 7970 wasn't ever hard to find and that was the first card to launch at 28nm and at $550.

isn't it an easy decision for AMD to just price the flagship card at $500-$550?...they can easily make up the $100 margin by selling more cards overall...seems like a no-brainer to me

isn't it an easy decision for AMD to just price the flagship card at $500-$550?...they can easily make up the $100 margin by selling more cards overall...seems like a no-brainer to me

Thats what I think, probably win them back some marketshare.

I honestly think that AMD offers a much better experience than they did a couple of years ago. They've got to give people another reason to try them again.

For those of you who are new at this, the video card manufacturer knows the performance of the competition and creates products that match or beat for as much as they can possibly charge. Since we know amd won't beat titan, we should assume at best that there is a 780 competitor. If so, we all agree that 780 is overpriced, so take your best guess. My guess is the 780 and its competitor are $499 this year.

Better or on par performance as the Titan for roughly $500 and i'll buy three of them.

BF4 here come baby.

Depends on yields and supply/demand.

Nvidia could easily sell GTX780/Titan for $400 and they would would sell more cards.... Why don't they do that?

Care to name some games?

I didn't say it for Nvidia people to get all butt hurt and call me out on it.

A perfect counter to your comment is my crossfired AMD cards have always been perceptively smooth as butter.

It's not a pissing contest, all multiple gpu solutions at one point or another have had microstutter, sli and crossfire alike.

Or you know people actually have positive user experience with Nvidia cards.

After 2x6850 crossfire i don't plan to buy any AMD card in next few years because I lost 50 euro selling those cards as they simply didn't work together in any acceptable manner.

Unless Nvidia pulls shit as big as they did with FX 5800 of course.

and again, I ran crossfired 6850s for a couple of years and they were perfect, never felt microstutter, never had a single issue.

I really think the whole thing boils down to specific hardware issues and compatibility.

Say a driver for your (insert hardware here) messes with your video card driver, who is to blame?

The thing is, people don't really go out of their way to praise a product, it's just human nature I guess, but people will go out of their way to complain. Sorry that I have a pretty hard time buying all the Nvidia can do no wrong and AMD is horrible at everything crap.

I also think it's pretty dumb that AMD folks don't go over to the Nvidia section to bash Nvidia, but it's normal for Nvidia people to bash AMD. If AMD folks do go over to the Nvidia section to talk shit, it's a tiny fraction of the folks who do it in this section.

It's always one of two kinds of posters too, the "I had AMD and it was awful and I wrote the company off completely and even still years later I am still going to complain because I am totally justified" or "I see enough people complaining about AMD to know I won't ever own their vidcards"

Both are ridiculous positions, in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's always one of two kinds of posters too, the "I had AMD and it was awful and I wrote the company off completely and even still years later I am still going to complain because I am totally justified"

I think at least some of these are shills/sockpuppets. Look at the story they helped coordinate about "problems with AMD cards and 4K displays in crossfire".

To quote techreport: "For its part, Nvidia called together several of us in the press last week, got us set up to use FCAT with 4K monitors, and pointed us toward some specific issues with their competition."

nVidia loves to "help out". You can tell by their actions over the years that they're a bunch of assholes.

Which is also why I'm excited for this AMD rollout. Trying to stay away from the slime.

The quote is that it turbos to 1050 and somehow he twisted that to meaning manually O/C'd. nVidia has boost that increases clocks above the base clock as well. Unlike AMD's turbo (unless they've changed it) which is fixed, it's often to much higher clocks than is stated.

ah, that would be good if he was referring to the boost clock and not a manual overclock. means there could be further potential in the card.

and again, I ran crossfired 6850s for a couple of years and they were perfect, never felt microstutter, never had a single issue.

I really think the whole thing boils down to specific hardware issues and compatibility.

Say a driver for your (insert hardware here) messes with your video card driver, who is to blame?

The thing is, people don't really go out of their way to praise a product, it's just human nature I guess, but people will go out of their way to complain. Sorry that I have a pretty hard time buying all the Nvidia can do no wrong and AMD is horrible at everything crap.

I also think it's pretty dumb that AMD folks don't go over to the Nvidia section to bash Nvidia, but it's normal for Nvidia people to bash AMD. If AMD folks do go over to the Nvidia section to talk shit, it's a tiny fraction of the folks who do it in this section.

One thing I noticed though on those pictures, the reference cards appear to have a standard displayport output. Will both of the dvi ports be able to support 2560x1600?

It's always one of two kinds of posters too, the "I had AMD and it was awful and I wrote the company off completely and even still years later I am still going to complain because I am totally justified" or "I see enough people complaining about AMD to know I won't ever own their vidcards"

Similarly, I ran xfire 6970 with no issues until one of the cards up and died on me. I then bought a 690 and discovered that Nvidia drivers are dogshit if your 3 monitors aren't identical, so I bought a 7970. Been looking forward to these new cards for a while now.

One thing I noticed though on the pictures of the new card, it appears to have gone full sized displayport. Will both of the dvi outs be able to support 2560x1600?

Trying to stay away from the slime.

LOL. Like these companies care about you. None of them are saints and only care about money.

So it looks like hawaii xt will pack 2816 sp, with two other cutdown versions having 2560 and 2304 respectively.

Rediculus ?

1. It was May 2012 - not years ago.
2. I had to resell those cards and lose cash on it since we don't have customer friendly return policies in Poland.
3. I lost time swapping cards, fightning with drivers and then listing them and selling.

I think at least some of these are shills/sockpuppets. Look at the story they helped coordinate about "problems with AMD cards and 4K displays in crossfire".

To quote techreport: "For its part, Nvidia called together several of us in the press last week, got us set up to use FCAT with 4K monitors, and pointed us toward some specific issues with their competition."

nVidia loves to "help out". You can tell by their actions over the years that they're a bunch of assholes.

Which is also why I'm excited for this AMD rollout. Trying to stay away from the slime.

They're pretty clear in the article why they posted those results- they didn't want to make AMD look bad, but rather they felt obligated to pass along pretty damning evidence that runs counter to AMD's claims against Nvidia.

For AMD to claim that 'We're the solution for 4k!' when their shit is clearly still broke and the Nvidia cards they're using for comparison are not broke is itself pretty damn shady. I think Nvidia is taking advantage of the timing and yes, that is a bit slimy, but they're not 'wrong'.

R7 260X pictured.

Awesome looking heatsink, if that's the reference design. But... the fan is going the opposite way of the heatsink design. :|

R7 260X pictured.

Awesome looking heatsink, if that's the reference design. But... the fan is going the opposite way of the heatsink design. :|

Lol, I didn't notice that before, but you're right- I guess it doesn't make any difference if it's spinning :).

Otherwise, I'm noticing that the shroud basically dumps air out in every direction; and that's just not cool.

What? Not sure what you mean...

fan spins counterclockwise, shroud has appearance of blades spinning clockwise. that's what he means.

thing looks gaudy to me, but i don't particularly care what gpu's look like.

fan spins counterclockwise, shroud has appearance of blades spinning clockwise. that's what he means.

thing looks gaudy to me, but i don't particularly care what gpu's look like.
Yes, it spins counter clockwise, forcing the air down-wards, though the HS.
Not sure how the shroud has any affect on how you think it should spin...

I think he means the design seams to be for focused air like a blower fan, but it includes an axial fan. The design of the shroud doesn't make any sense with the fan used.

Yes, it spins counter clockwise, forcing the air down-wards, though the HS.
Not sure how the shroud has any affect on how you think it should spin...

we're talking about aesthetics of the shroud, nothing more. now let me insert my own snarky line of dots ....

I didn't say it for Nvidia people to get all butt hurt and call me out on it.

A perfect counter to your comment is my crossfired AMD cards have always been perceptively smooth as butter.

It's not a pissing contest, all multiple gpu solutions at one point or another have had microstutter, sli and crossfire alike.
lol wtf does this mean? There are documented cases of microstutter on AMD cards and forums and professional review sites are gushing with posts upon posts of it. On nVidia side, the reports for microstutter are very few for the 6XX series and almost non existent for 7XX series and Titan. What you are posting is utter nonsense and farce without backing it up with anything.

I don't have more time to devote trying to find threads / reviews for this but if you are happy with your CFX system then you are really the only 20% or so 7XXX series users I know. Rest are either having troubles or have already moved into the nVidia camp and are super happy about it.

Best to update your facts and then post rather than throw around blanket statements to confuse people.

I ditched my GTX570 for an HD6950 2GB because the Nvidia card didn't have enough RAM for 1600p, then added a second AMD card, which should have brought me the performance I needed. It didn't, not for BF3, at least, and that was the point. A single GTX670 2GB replaced that pair, and even though it was ~20% slower, felt over twice as fast. I've since added a second and I really enjoy that setup for BF3.

AMD needs to get their shit together. If they do, they have the opportunity to really splash some mud on Nvidia's face and make some good money doing it; if they don't get it right by the time reviewers get these new cards, though, they're screwed. I think they know that; I just hope they have the resources to act on it.

I ditched my GTX570 for an HD6950 2GB because the Nvidia card didn't have enough RAM for 1600p, then added a second AMD card, which should have brought me the performance I needed. It didn't, not for BF3, at least, and that was the point. A single GTX670 2GB replaced that pair, and even though it was ~20% slower, felt over twice as fast. I've since added a second and I really enjoy that setup for BF3.

AMD needs to get their shit together. If they do, they have the opportunity to really splash some mud on Nvidia's face and make some good money doing it; if they don't get it right by the time reviewers get these new cards, though, they're screwed. I think they know that; I just hope they have the resources to act on it.

The frame time issues have been fixed for the most part, AMD have got their shit together with regard to drivers.

Just curious, but if all of you people are so happy with your Nvidia cards, why are you wasting so much time in an AMD thread about a card you have 0 interest in buying?

Just curious, but if all of you people are so happy with your Nvidia cards, why are you wasting so much time in an AMD thread about a card you have 0 interest in buying?

called jealousy.
shiny new king is soon out.:)
AMD optmizing games, providing bundles, they are hurting.

The frame time issues have been fixed for the most part, AMD have got their shit together with regard to drivers.

You might want to keep reading. They're fixed at 1080p/1440p, but not for the higher resolution or Eyefinity setups that most people bought their AMD cards for. I'm not saying that they're not getting there, and I'm certainly not saying that they won't- I'm saying that they're not there yet, and they won't be until they get the drivers out there and reviewers put them through the wringer.

Most Nvidia users bought their cards because they didn't know better; but most of us here bought them because they had a product that worked while AMD didn't. I gave up my HD6950 2GB cards because they were shit for BF3, which is what I bought them for. Worked for some games pretty well, of course, but I don't play many other games (can always limp through a single-player game, could care less about replaying most of them). Worked pretty well for Skyrim after patching. But not for BF3, and that's where most of my limited gaming time is spent.

A single GTX670 2GB card embarrassed them, despite being 20% slower. And it embarrassed the HD7950 with respect to noise and heat; and two embarrassed any AMD solution up until the frame-pacing driver arrived.

You can see that we're not having a love-fest with Nvidia here- it's AMD's failures, not Nvidia's successes, that are the focus.

And really, we want AMD to succeed here because we paid dearly for those Nvidia cards. They were worth it, then, but real competition from AMD would bring prices closer to historical norms, and that's good for all of us.

Besides, with a 512bit controller and GTX780-beating performance, I'm betting I can get a pair of top-tier or one step down cards with 8GB each by the end of the year, and be set for 4k gaming at medium-high settings for a few years.

Most Nvidia users bought their cards because they didn't know better; but most of us here bought them because they had a product that worked while AMD didn't. I gave up my HD6950 2GB cards because they were shit for BF3, which is what I bought them for. Worked for some games pretty well, of course, but I don't play many other games (can always limp through a single-player game, could care less about replaying most of them). Worked pretty well for Skyrim after patching. But not for BF3, and that's where most of my limited gaming time is spent.

A single GTX670 2GB card embarrassed them, despite being 20% slower. And it embarrassed the HD7950 with respect to noise and heat; and two embarrassed any AMD solution up until the frame-pacing driver arrived.

You can see that we're not having a love-fest with Nvidia here- it's AMD's failures, not Nvidia's successes, that are the focus.

And really, we want AMD to succeed here because we paid dearly for those Nvidia cards. They were worth it, then, but real competition from AMD would bring prices closer to historical norms, and that's good for all of us.

Besides, with a 512bit controller and GTX780-beating performance, I'm betting I can get a pair of top-tier or one step down cards with 8GB each by the end of the year, and be set for 4k gaming at medium-high settings for a few years.

I dunno man - the right 7950 embarrasses a 670 IMO, more VRAM, better performance (overclock-ability) and costs less (I'm talking in the past 8 months not just now). Of course it's going to be hotter, but you are definitely getting better bang for buck, but to each his own.

I dunno man - the right 7950 embarrasses a 670 IMO, more VRAM, better performance (overclock-ability) and costs less (I'm talking in the past 8 months not just now). Of course it's going to be hotter, but you are definitely getting better bang for buck, but to each his own.

For one card, absolutely! For two- not at all. Drivers are most of that, but the differences in available coolers were night and day too. I get good blowers with my GTX670's- can't even get that with AMD; they're too damn loud, and the third-party blowers were so scarce for so long. The 'open air' coolers that everyone raves about are great and all if you're putting the cards in a monstrous case with tons of airflow set up, but if you care about putting that kind of performance in a reasonably compact enclosure and want to keep the system quiet and clean? Nvidia's blowers all the way.

Thing is, AMD could fix both issues with their coming cards if they choose to- but we'll have to wait and see. I'm looking for Crossfire performance at 4k that beats GTX780's at both gaming performance and load noise output. That's my bar.

Back