AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October

Personally, I'm hoping that AMD will also reveal 9950 (R9 270?) on Sept 25, since that's likely to be $100 or so less at a small performance loss (as compared to 280). Curious how that'll compare to 780.

I remember things happen alittle different then what some are saying here, HD 7970 stream rolled Nvidia and the 580GTX and they had notting to counter it for along while and the 680GTX was a tic better because of clock speeds but AMD released the 1Ghz cards and they was/ are pretty even.

Titan is a high end server part and why it has a high end price tag to match it .. i been around since the 460Ti days and have many working cards still like a 7900GT, if i learned anything from years pasted was how hard we fall when that tech is replaced and 3 to 4 years tops and you have a pile of worthless tech. so the lesson i learned was to wait til tech was being replaced and price dropped as is the case with HD79XX now and the fall feels less painful.
$1000 Titan would break every bone in my body .

7970 had node advantage over 5xx series - with one of them being 28nm versus 40nm it would be pathetic if they couldn't win.

7970 had node advantage over 5xx series - with one of them being 28nm versus 40nm it would be pathetic if they couldn't win.

What he is saying is that a lot of people are remembering the last generation with rose colored glasses. Er I guess it would be frog colored glasses, cause frogs are green.

Node advantage or not, the 7970 was 30% faster than a 580 AT LAUNCH. That's not piss-poor, the 580 was only 15% faster than the 480. You'd have to be really dense to believe that Nvidia thought the 7970 was a 'piss poor' improvement.

Also by those standards, you people believe that Nvidia was working on the 'true' 680 that was 80% faster than a 580!? In what world was that possible?

Argument over.

Node advantage or not, the 7970 was 30% faster than a 580 AT LAUNCH. That's not piss-poor, the 580 was only 15% faster than the 480. You'd have to be really dense to believe that Nvidia thought the 7970 was a 'piss poor' improvement.

Also by those standards, you people believe that Nvidia was working on the 'true' 680 that was 80% faster than a 580!? In what world was that possible?

Argument over.

What argument? The HD7970 was the next generation card. They're not even comparable, given how long the GTX580 had been out. Did you just get out of junior high?

Happy with my 7950's for another year or two, doesn't mean I won't look around at performance reviews.

What argument? The HD7970 was the next generation card. They're not even comparable, given how long the GTX580 had been out. Did you just get out of junior high?

He has a point*..Many people still claim the 680 was supposed to be a mid-range card (as mentioned earlier) and that they scrapped their high end part just because the 7970 "wasn't fast enough" to cause them a concern.

We know the reality was that Nvidia designed this super large, shoot for the moon, chip that completely failed at the foundry level, so they were forced to improve the GK104 and use it as a competitor to the 7970. Nvidia scrambled to get GK110 designed and successfully taped out/produced to fill the high end compute SKU that was to be the failed GK100..

Let's also not forget how much trouble Nvidia had even with the new design..They had massive backorders of GK110s due to incredibly poor yields for quite a while, although how much of this was TSMC's 28nm node process's growing pains is unknown...

I actually wonder how many GK110 dies that were say 40-70% defective were trashed early on..Would have been interesting to see a card that was say 60-70% functional (SMX cluster wise) released as a GTX 685...

The great news about AMD staying on 28nm is that they have had an excellent design/process experience with Tahiti, so they shouldn't have any problems with poor yields/low core headroom etc...I hope the GCN 2.0 cores can o/c even more then the 25-40% we were seeing on the Tahiti SKUs...

Many people forget how much of an improvement GCN 1.1 was vs 1.0. It had nearly perfect performance/watt scaling, which is why the 7790 could outrun a 7850 in many cases..If GCN improves, or even maintains such awesome scaling it will be a great chip, especially for us O/C'ers:cool:!

*PSA: I am beyond slightly high as I write this, so if it doesn't make sense try not to get too butthurt:D

I mentioned that the 580 replaced the 480 with a 15% increase in performance, and that was considered a 'decent' jump.

The 7970 replaced the 6970 with a 30% increase and suddenly "lolilolililololololol AMD sux!!1 Nvidia can make better cards so they just rebranded the 660 as 680 lolololololololololAMDSUXlololololol, poor performance, dropped the ball, didn't show up, can't compete lolololololololololAMDSUXlololol!!!1"

I mentioned that the 580 replaced the 480 with a 15% increase in performance, and that was considered a 'decent' jump.

The 7970 replaced the 6970 with a 30% increase and suddenly "lolilolililololololol AMD sux!!1 Nvidia can make better cards so they just rebranded the 660 as 680 lolololololololololAMDSUXlololololol, poor performance, dropped the ball, didn't show up, can't compete lolololololololololAMDSUXlololol!!!1"

It wasn't really like that at all. The Radeon HD 6000 Series was solid and the Radeon HD 7000 Series was a very strong leap forward, nobody denies that and if they did it's a pretty stupid thing to say.

The reason why people may look at the GTX 500 Series as being a fairly decent step up was because of how quickly it came out following an already nicely boosted GTX 400 Series within the same year. The GTX 500 Series was meant to be nothing more than a fixing of everything wrong with the 400 Series, it just turned out to offer a nice healthy boost at the same time in rapid succession. The 400 Series may have been considered a huge bump in performance over the 200 Series, but the heat and noise was incredible, the 500 Series came out to address the complaints.

At the end of the day Nvidia acted rather fast if you can say anything and coincidently the jump wasn't big enough to slap 400 owners in the face. Compared to AMD, there is no excuse for them delaying, or should I say eliminating Sea Islands, waiting 2 years to release a refreshed 28nm chip. Volcanic Islands turned from a 20nm chip to 28nm (possibly refreshed in 6 months on 20nm, but doubtful). Everything is confusing coming from AMD because raking in the dough from the Never Settle Bundle was worth more to them than competing with Nvidia.

Who knows maybe AMD is working some magic on 28nm coming up, but there is no way in hell we're going to see leaps and bounds above the 780/Titan. I will eat my words if we see a 25% jump over those two products come October. I just don't see how it's going to be possible on a smaller die on the 28nm process. So in the end everyone is saying, why did AMD wait so long to release a refreshed card allowing Nvidia to get away with gouging each market segment?

The fight really started at HD5870 vs 480GTX with AMD being the first out the gate with tessellation and DX 11 and again Nvidia was stream rolled until the 480GTX got off the ground what 6 months later? Nvidia used it's better tessellation preformance as a selling point.

So AMD makes improvements with a stop gap card HD6970 that had better tessellation preformance to pull the gap closer as the HD7970 was the real project back then but needed 28nm to live. 580GTX was release before the HD6970 so Nvidia could keep that selling point in preformance as they did to a point but HD6970 was cheaper and sold well.

When 28nm was ready Nvidia had notting to offer and AMD released the HD7970 as it's release price showed Nvidia wasn't ready with anything. I readed the EVGA forums daily and saw them sweat and jump ship. the 680GTX was real late and i believe 100% it's all they had to offer because of the amount of tech put into it.

Titan is only a by-product of AMD choice to not release anything because of how the 680GTX and HD7970 compared to each other. if anything can be said is that AMD is 6 months late but it was there choice.

Also if you don't think AMD can't rewire a chip to run faster ..well just look back at the HD4870>4890 as i have a feeling this is going be an interesting release.

Correct me if I'm wrong (because it's been a while), but... isn't 600 series and 7000 series considered to be the same generation series?

700 series is nothing more (with the exception of 780, of course) than an overclocked refresh of 600s, while 7000s had a refresh of its own with GHZ editions (but no number change), right?

Considering that 780 (and Titan) has a very very exclusive and limited customer base.... I don't see how either AMD or Nvidia dropped a ball against each other. They seem to be both "on the par" with each other's products.

Correct me if I'm wrong (because it's been a while), but... isn't 600 series and 7000 series considered to be the same generation series?

700 series is nothing more (with the exception of 780, of course) than an overclocked refresh of 600s, while 7000s had a refresh of its own with GHZ editions (but no number change), right?

Considering that 780 (and Titan) has a very very exclusive and limited customer base.... I don't see how either AMD or Nvidia dropped a ball against each other. They seem to be both "on the par" with each other's products.

Thank you! Someone who has a brain.

They got caught( Nvidia) with there pants down at 28nm .. i'm sure the R&D was rolling but not at the pace AMD was pushing as i remember Nvidia stated that DX11/ window7 wasn't as important to them at the moment and how they got behind in the first place with the 480GTX and why it was rushed to market as a nuclear weapon and the 580GTX was improvments made because of the feedback from owners.

again 28nm was lagging because Nvidia didn't think it was important to push DX 11 tech and why the 680GTX was also real late.

AMD set the trend with the HD5870 to what we have today in DX11 and Nvidia has been playing catch up because Eyefinity came out on the HD5870 and at the point we are even .. unless AMD sets another trend with this new card.

Last edited:
For me, it doesn't have to be faster than 780... if it will stay at same FPS rate as 780, and what's more important on same power consumption, but will be like 100-150 euro cheaper, it will be all I can ask of AMD.

The only thing that would excite me about this latest release from AMD is if they were able to support the new OpenCL 2.0 draft standard. Besides that, I hope to see them keep nvidia on their toes.

Yes, they are. If people want to take an easily overclockable 7970, add GHz Edition, and call it a "refresh" then so be it. I would disagree. Sea Islands was supposed to be the refresh. It never happened, so people believing the GHz Edition was AMD's intended "refresh" is just bullshit.

1qpfcvs.jpg

The real question is what has AMD been doing for 2 years in that lab (HD5870>HD7970) was about 2 years. Nvidia's issuse is they been playing catch up and that 2 years could mean there behind again or they got with the program.

When AMD is tight lipped means they have something to show us.

512bit! I'm so happy! I am so getting one of these cards. I've been putting off an upgrade far too long.

Now..... how long before we can buy them!:) I would love to actually play new games at Highest settings

Mid to late october from what I've heard. Basically before bf4 launches, we should expect this card to be available.

Feel free to cite the source.

Like the blower. Worry about length. I know it's the worst angle, but it looks long.

Cooler is most likely not reference since it is an ES.

Length, roughly the same as Tahiti. You can tell by the distance between PCB tabs.

I'm getting excited... Big news on the 25th. Hopefully we see benchmarks asap.

The Stilt would like to pass along...

The Stilt said:
Size of a Hynix GDDR5 2Gbit IC is 14x12mm

for all you crazy kids about to count pixels.

Edit- Quick and sloppy, I got ~24.5x18mm for 441mm2

Been following this for a while. Can't wait for Wednesday.
Will most likely upgrade to a pair of the top card they release. Now I have to sell my 7970s and find the cash to cover the rest as I spent most of my fun money on Star Citizen lol. Anyone want to buy a Star Citizen Idris-M with full LTI?

512bit! I'm so happy! I am so getting one of these cards. I've been putting off an upgrade far too long.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the 512 bit bus on ATI something to do with the memory inside of the chip and it was still a 256bit bus on the outside of the memory (or something along those lines) it was NOT a true 512 bit bus IIRC...

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the 512 bit bus on ATI something to do with the memory inside of the chip and it was still a 256bit bus on the outside of the memory (or something along those lines) it was NOT a true 512 bit bus IIRC...

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

R600 had a 512b external memory interface and had a 1024b internal ringbus.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2231/9

Back