AMD Confirms Zen Launch

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Lisa Su of AMD just confirmed on its earnings call that AMD's new Zen processors will launch into the desktop market "Summit Ridge" in Q1'17, and its Zen server products will launch in Q2'17.

Last edited:
Why do I have a feeling it is gonna be at the end of each quarter when those products are gonna release?

Well, since I will not be upgrading this year, I am good. However, I have not seen a single good reason to upgrade my cpu anyways, at least not yet.

Reports, including webcast and transcripts, press releases: Quarterly Earnings | Investor Relations | AMD

A live thread with tidbits from the call: AMD Q3 Earnings Call Highlights

Some stuff I liked hearing:
Mark asks about the Tesla self-driving announcement last night, which reportedly uses a NVIDIA Titan (X(P)?) but AMD was also in the running and it was a tough decision. Asks how AMD can expand in the deep learning space.

Su: one of the semicustom wins is outside of game consoles, the other two are for game consoles.

Su: "happy" with how Polaris ramped in Q3. Channel-based quarter, supply constraints faced in Q3 but resolved towards the end.

Su: lots of confidential benchmarks right now. 3rd party benchmarks in Q1 '17. (About Summit Ridge)

Its nice AMD still has products that could compete in other spaces like the Telsa.

Sony and Microsoft already chose AMD beyond the Pro and Scorpio? Other one being Apple perhaps? Assuming "supply" means GF, thats a shame, headstart done in by no cards.

Still, seems like AMD did ok, real test is next year of course.

This might be perfect timing as I intend to get a new laptop and or AMD APU based laptop sometime next spring. This Turion 64 [email protected] ghz is feeling very disadvantaged these days. No return to PC gaming anytime soon as it would make no sense since I have no time to game.

This might be perfect timing as I intend to get a new laptop and or AMD APU based laptop sometime next spring. This Turion 64 [email protected] ghz is feeling very disadvantaged these days. No return to PC gaming anytime soon as it would make no sense since I have no time to game.

Zen APUs are Q4 2017 or so. And for a laptop you are likely into 2018.

Are we going to see something other then what we did before I know AMD does not talk about these things but how far did they get beyond what the engineering sample showed us?
There was also some rumours about the 4C8T part clocking "a good deal" higher then then 8C16T.

I'm hoping they can get somewhere near 3.7ghz approximately anything above that would be great.
No clue.

Like I said before. If it's within 15% of Intel for given clock speed at 75% of the price, I'm sold. I want to enjoy playing my games, not stroke my ego about having the fasted system on the planet.

I've got an FX8350 running my htpc. I don't -need- an upgrade, but if Zen if any good (and priced accordingly) I'll do it.

My exact sentiments. I'm chomping at the bit to build a new rig and am looking forward to see what the 8C/16T chips have in store. I'd like to play some of the new-ish games, but most of all I like playing around with VMs and this would allow me to turn off my loudass rack server.

This is rather good news that a launch date is firmed up. Sounds like the different aspects of a whole new arch + Platform + Software (drivers) is at stage for release. Now seeing the results will be great - I hope this will really compete and give a good solution for many. If AMD hits it out of the park is also welcome indeed.

I'm hoping it'll be a good release... been holding off on building a new computer so i'm hoping for a very very good best-bang-for-my-buck CPU that is actually, well, next gen! It would be nice if AMD would be in the running to help with those prices...

Like I said before. If it's within 15% of Intel for given clock speed at 75% of the price, I'm sold. I want to enjoy playing my games, not stroke my ego about having the fasted system on the planet.

I would even settle for it to be within 20% of Intel if it is 60% of the price. Either way, it will have twice as many cores as the 7700 so that will be a bonus.

My money says they'll only send one to Kyle if its actually good because they know he'll tell the truth about it.

I've written this before but I am really hoping Zen outperforms expectations just to give AthlonXP a reason to change his name!! The guy has been suffering long enough!!

cpusreihe.jpg

Please be at least i5 6600k level with good mini itx board.
lol, a 8 core 16 threaded cpu being at least equal to the I5 6600K :LOL:. I certainly hope it is way better then that. Not sure if they will have a non hyper threaded design like the I5's. Even their 4 core 8 threaded cpu I expect to be faster then the I5's but we will see.

Anyone know definitively how much L2/L3 cache these desktop and server cpus are supposed to have? Instruction sets?

lol, a 8 core 16 threaded cpu being at least equal to the I5 6600K :LOL:. I certainly hope it is way better then that. Not sure if they will have a non hyper threaded design like the I5's. Even their 4 core 8 threaded cpu I expect to be faster then the I5's but we will see.

Don't be so sure. IPC wise Zen, based on AMD's statements, should have Ivy-level perf/clock. And clock speeds? The AMD official demo and leaked parts run at 2.8GHz base/3.2GHZ MSCT for the 8C/16T parts. Clock speed matters, too.

AMD will most definitely come out with iterations clocked much higher than 2.8/3.2GHz. I'm very intrigued with the whole AM4 platform unifying APUs and CPUs. Cheering for AMD. I grudgingly made the switch to Intel after 3 AMD builds (Phenom 9550, Phenom II 965 and FX-8350 all of which are still running daily till this day)

I'm very intrigued by Zen, I'm hoping it's going to compete where it says it can, in my line of work total # of cores trump single threaded speed very frequently.

Past practice (Phenom II 955, 965, etc.. and FX-8150, 8320, 8350, etc...) You really think they're gonna come out with one CPU and that's it???

But why clocked higher and not lower?

Why are they lower clocked? Isn't that bad? How does it happen that further revisions do worse?

Back