Acer announces 4K 28" monitor with Gsync

x3sphere

2[H]4U
Coming out this quarter, 28", no word on price

TAIPEI, TAIWAN Acer Delivers World’s First 4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology for Smoother and Responsive Gaming

Editor’s Summary:
New Acer XB280HK monitor offers 4k2k display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology for a vivid and responsive gaming experience
Eliminates screen tearing and minimizes stutter and input lag
Flicker-less, low dimming and ComfyView technologies help reduce strain on eyes for heavy users
28-inch display, part of the new XB0 line of gaming monitors
Acer announces the new Acer XB280HK gaming monitor as the world’s first 4k2k display featuring NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology to provide stunning, ultra-smooth, tear-free imagery and rich colors for outstanding gaming experiences. It features Acer’s flicker-less, low-dimming and ComfyView technologies that reduce strain on the eyes for smooth and comfortable extensive viewing.

Part of the new XB0 line of large gaming monitors, the Acer XB280HK is intended to be paired with enthusiast PCs for immersive, ultra high-end gaming. It features a spacious 28-inch LED backlit display with 4k2k Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixels) that’s four times the resolution of 1080p Full HD, and presents stunning high quality images for outstanding visual enjoyment.

With a GeForce® GTX™-powered PC, NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology synchronizes the display’s refresh rates to the GPU to eliminate screen tearing and minimize display stutter and input lag to deliver smoother, faster, more breathtaking gaming experiences. Scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper and more vibrant, and gameplay is more fluid and responsive providing gamers with significant performance advantages.

The Acer XB280HK builds in several features that take into consideration prolonged usage by heavy users such as programmers, writers, and graphic designers:
Flicker-less technology – stable power supply eliminates screen flicker particularly beneficial for heavy users by helping to reduce eye strain.
Low dimming technology – adjust to as low as 15 percent brightness in low light environments to make it easy on the eyes. Standard monitor settings start at 30 percent brightness level.
ComfyView technology – the non-glare panel reduces reflection from light source.
The Acer XB280HK features 170/170 degree viewing angles so that brilliantly-colored images can be seen from almost every angle. DisplayPort™ v1.2 transmits video signals and four USB 3.0 ports are conveniently located at the side and bottom of the display for connecting to keyboard, mouse or mobile devices.

The Acer XB280HK monitor is made with post-consumer recycled plastic and features a distinctive red ring on the base stand. The multi-functional ErgoStand allows the screen to tilt from -5° to 35° to ensure the best viewing angle; the base rotates 120° from left or right for easy screen sharing; the panel height can be raised by up to 150 mm for optimum comfort; and the screen pivots from horizontal to vertical for more viewing perspectives.

This eco-friendly monitor features a mercury- and arsenic-free panel, LED backlighting for reduced power consumption, and is ENERGY STAR®(1) qualified.

The Acer XB280HK starts shipping in Q2 in Pan America, EMEA, Japan, and Taiwan.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2014/77934

First 4K monitor worth buying for gaming, even if it's just a TN panel.

Is this going to be strobable considering it has gsync?
And if so, will 60Hz be enough for strobing to not cause issues?

Once I see a gaming in anything, my don't buy alert goes off.
Quality is generally lower and overpriced.

This means we should have a least a few 4K G-SYNC options by the end of the year. Can't wait!

Is this going to be strobable considering it has gsync?
And if so, will 60Hz be enough for strobing to not cause issues?

Doesn't mention anything about strobing and 60hz strobed would be pretty awful.

I don't see the refresh rate stated... I'll be keeping an eye out though.

Little bit too large for my taste and a TN panel....

28" isn't too big when it's 4K. ;)

My largest concern is that this 28" TN panel used in other models isn't exactly raved about...

4K seems like a good application for G-Sync, since there's a good chance you won't be able to keep all your content running at a smooth frame rate at native resolution, which is exactly where G-Sync helps the most. Keeping an eye on this one, even though I'm a little wary of such a large TN panel.

4K displays need size more then g-sync support. I wonder why no vendor sees that. Had some hopes on Asus 39", but seems that it flopped. So yet another 4K display with too high DPI to not cause scaling issues.

@Church: Seiki recently announced that they will be releasing a 40" 4K panel in addition to planned 28" and 32" displays (and it will be VA based), as well as being DP 1.3 and HDMI 2.0 compatible. Should be a interesting display. Still looking forward to the Acer G-Sync display, hopefully it becomes available soon.

sethk: for some time tried out 1st gen chinese 4K TV of 50" (by Skyworth) .. while 30Hz were killing me, loved DPI of 4K @ that size. I've seen that thread about next gen Seiki-s, so while 40" is way better (or in other words - less worse) then all these 24", 28", 32" ones, but 50" would be even better :). And even more so i don't get why any other major vendor thought about releasing such. Maybe they want to game longer with subsequent slight slow evolutionary display increases and get extra profit premium / to not let prices drop? I guess that when displays like those Seikis will be out (supposedly 2005 Q1), they'll HAVE to release, as for now they get by simply because there are no alternatives in market (except maybe Panasonic 4K TVs with DisplayPort).

For full size / living room use, I plan to get a full size - i.e. 60-75" 4K display once prices drop around Thanksgiving for TVs (like clockwork each year) and then a little bit further after new years or late Jan (as new models are announced). Already, the Vizio 4K FALD (full array local dimming) 4K P-series TV (1 notch below their reference series) is sub-$2000 in the 70" size, and Toshiba, Samsung, etc. also have interesting models in what I hope to be the under 2K range.

I was planning on getting a 28-32" 4K monitor for desktop use (reading / production work / code editing) and some non-living-room gaming (i.e. keyboard + mouse games). Did you try the 50" skyworth on a desktop or in more of a living room mode? How far away did you sit?

I just dont understand how people can buy a TN panel...the colors are awful ...IMO..

for me, gsync is near pointless for a 60hz display as ~80fps is the minimum framerate i'd consider acceptable for gaming :p

^^ that's confusion from secong acer g-sync display (144 Hz 27" g-sync)

for me, gsync is near pointless for a 60hz display as ~80fps is the minimum framerate i'd consider acceptable for gaming :p

Good luck getting 80 fps at 4k ;)

No mention of > 60hz capability in the PCPer review - http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...eview/Gaming-Impressions-and-Closing-Thoughts

..which is a giant bummer. I would take 1080p@ 120hz / 144hz, but it can't even do that, apparently. I hope that is wrong.

2nd Review @ HotHardware: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Acer-XB280HK-4K-GSYNC-Gaming-Monitor-Review/?page=7
Same comment, no > 60hz capability. The only good news is that the viewing angles are pretty good for TN, and the color reproduction, and out of the box calibration is good. It looks like they've maximized top-down over bottom-up viewing angles to compensate for TN narrow viewing angles, which is not a bad idea, if you have the middle of the monitor slightly below your eye-level.

Since this monitor has the G-Sync module, I was actually wondering if it could be overclocked. The G-Sync module in the Swift actually has a larger heatsink on it, as it's designed to run above DP 1.2 spec speeds when ran at 2560x1440@144 Hz.

With G-Sync enabled on this monitor, it should be limited to 60 Hz. But if you disable G-Sync, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 70+ Hz out of it.

Does this support ULMB? I don't mind the flicker due to 60Hz.

Once I see a gaming in anything, my don't buy alert goes off.
Quality is generally lower and overpriced.

Plenty of people willingly accept the lower quality and swallow the high prices unfortunately. Best you can do is keep pointing that out when it happens.

Back