Acer announces 4K 28" monitor with Gsync

Ulmb apparently only works 85hz/100hz/120hz. Probably just due to the Gsync module...but I could be wrong.

How is the ppi? Is it a noticeable improvement?

The PPI is amazing except for the odd application that can't scale correctly and turns a bit blurry. Even old games look pretty new at UHD resolutions.

Another question.

Where can I find some decent gaming/anime/abstract 3840x2160 wallpapers? Wallbase seems to no longer exist, and everything else I find is just a terrible upscale.

Ordered one yesterday from Newegg. Arrives tomorrow :) will be using with GTX 970 SLI, if I need more juice, i will just buy another gtx 970 :) I am using 2 Gigabyte G1's right now. You need to get between 40fps to 60fps for G-sync to make animation smooth as butter. No need for higher than 60hz, get it while its hot! :)

Just got mine today. Wow, this is nice. Currently I also have an LG 34UM94 here as well and I'm deciding which one I want to keep. Obviously each has their own unique advantages.

A couple things to note. This monitor has GREAT contrast performance. There's no light bleed ( on my unit anyways) and there doesn't seem to have any noticeable input lag. I also have a Dell 3007WFP-HC as a reference and the input lag seems almost identical (it's a hair behind...very nice for gaming). Overall I'm extremely impressed so far. Now I just need to finish my new build so I can really game on it. My current rig isn't quite as powerful as I'd like for 4K gaming.

Just got mine today. Wow, this is nice. Currently I also have an LG 34UM94 here as well and I'm deciding which one I want to keep. Obviously each has their own unique advantages.

A couple things to note. This monitor has GREAT contrast performance. There's no light bleed ( on my unit anyways) and there doesn't seem to have any noticeable input lag. I also have a Dell 3007WFP-HC as a reference and the input lag seems almost identical (it's a hair behind...very nice for gaming). Overall I'm extremely impressed so far. Now I just need to finish my new build so I can really game on it. My current rig isn't quite as powerful as I'd like for 4K gaming.

Mine has virtually no light bleed as well. I also previously had the LG 34", which was a great monitor, but I would pick this one hands down over it even thought this is a TN panel. Contrast and color is so good you wouldn't know it.

Ordered one yesterday from Newegg. Arrives tomorrow :) will be using with GTX 970 SLI, if I need more juice, i will just buy another gtx 970 :) I am using 2 Gigabyte G1's right now. You need to get between 40fps to 60fps for G-sync to make animation smooth as butter. No need for higher than 60hz, get it while its hot! :)

I originally bought two G1 GTX 970s and then a day later I ordered this monitor. I immediately feared they wouldn't be enough and bought a third. Probably completely unnecessary, but I guess I'm covered now. Let you know how they work out. They arrive today.

Imho dual 980 would do better then three 970, going usual thought line, that less number of cards = better sli scaling per gpu, more topend gpus usually having more vram (better for high res) and wider, more bit, bus, also more topend gpus in heavy graphic modes (such as high FSAA or 4K as in this case) do better in most important aspect of minimum FPS not dropping too low (which is what player usually notices most in form of staggering). While average/maximum FPS often is higher and costs less with more of middle end cards, i'd still prefer less of more topend gpus instead.

Imho dual 980 would do better then three 970, going usual thought line, that less number of cards = better sli scaling per gpu, more topend gpus usually having more vram (better for high res) and wider, more bit, bus, also more topend gpus in heavy graphic modes (such as high FSAA or 4K as in this case) do better in most important aspect of minimum FPS not dropping too low (which is what player usually notices most in form of staggering). While average/maximum FPS often is higher and costs less with more of middle end cards, i'd still prefer less of more topend gpus instead.

While I tend to agree, in the case of the 980 vs 970 it isn't quite that clear. The only real difference between the two is the number of shading units and TMUs. Ram and bus width are the same. I originally purchased two 980s and realized I could buy three 970s for less and theoretically get better performance. I do realize SLI scaling will be a critical factor. When my cards arrive today I will run a bevy of tests to see just how well this is going to work for me at 4K. If they prove too much trouble I will change them to a pair of 980s, but I hope that doesn't become the case.

For those that own this monitor, is the top bezel warped a bit? Mine seems to bend upwards in an arc. It's sort of distracting as the gap at the top of the screen is more in the middle than towards the edges. I'm not sure it's enough to warrant me going through the hassle to RMA it, but it does kinda suck.

For those that own this monitor, is the top bezel warped a bit? Mine seems to bend upwards in an arc. It's sort of distracting as the gap at the top of the screen is more in the middle than towards the edges. I'm not sure it's enough to warrant me going through the hassle to RMA it, but it does kinda suck.

I don't notice anything like that on mine, is it something you can capture in a picture?

Mine has virtually no light bleed as well. I also previously had the LG 34", which was a great monitor, but I would pick this one hands down over it even thought this is a TN panel. Contrast and color is so good you wouldn't know it.

I haven't noticed any light bleed, even my IPS ZR30w's had hints of bleed here and there.

How aggressive is the AG coating?
Except for the bezels, the screen seems pretty matte to me.

I think 2 980s should be sufficient for most games at medium-high on this thing, if you're driving 60fps then the effect of gsync is less noticeable. You can always push AA if you're fps is maxed out. Not sure how 2 970s will fare.

Eventually you will find yourself just straight up calling fraps a liar.

I don't notice anything like that on mine, is it something you can capture in a picture?

I haven't noticed any light bleed, even my IPS ZR30w's had hints of bleed here and there.

Except for the bezels, the screen seems pretty matte to me.

I think 2 980s should be sufficient for most games at medium-high on this thing, if you're driving 60fps then the effect of gsync is less noticeable. You can always push AA if you're fps is maxed out. Not sure how 2 970s will fare.

Eventually you will find yourself just straight up calling fraps a liar.

Here's what I'm talking about:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AA5J5wUWwuJlgDw&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

As for the dual 970s, well, I solved that by buying three. Should be interesting.

Doesn't do it as far as I can tell. 60Hz or bust...

Man, that's unfortunate that it can't overclock like some of other 4Ks do (e.g. Seiki). That would have pushed me over the edge. I wonder if its the gsync module or the panel.

Man, that's unfortunate that it can't overclock like some of other 4Ks do (e.g. Seiki). That would have pushed me over the edge. I wonder if its the gsync module or the panel.

Probably the gsync module. It acts as the scalar for the panel AFAIK.

Got my three GTX 970s in and quickly determined 3-way SLI is crazy unstable. After spending a few hours with it I yanked a card out. Without a doubt, 2-way SLI is considerably better tuned at this point. Every game I've played so far (Shadow of Mordor, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Battlefield 4, and Alien: Isolation) is running 50-60fps at 4K and maxed settings. Guess the twin solution will just have to be good enough and with G-Sync running below 60 is more than acceptable. Still love the monitor BTW.

Got my three GTX 970s in and quickly determined 3-way SLI is crazy unstable. After spending a few hours with it I yanked a card out. Without a doubt, 2-way SLI is considerably better tuned at this point. Every game I've played so far (Shadow of Mordor, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Battlefield 4, and Alien: Isolation) is running 50-60fps at 4K and maxed settings. Guess the twin solution will just have to be good enough and with G-Sync running below 60 is more than acceptable. Still love the monitor BTW.

Haven't had any issues with 3-way 980s. Maybe I'll try pulling one out and seeing what my numbers are.

Cool that is exactly what I got.

What was the issue with the tri-sli?

Why is it better than just dual-sli?

I am using a z87-pro asus mobo, first two are PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (running at 8x each since SLI mode) the third PCIe slot is 2.0 4x. Will this slow down bandwidth on all my cards to PCIe 2.0 4x?

I am using a z87-pro asus mobo, first two are PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (running at 8x each since SLI mode) the third PCIe slot is 2.0 4x. Will this slow down bandwidth on all my cards to PCIe 2.0 4x?

I don't think 3-way SLI will work on that board. Nvidia specifically will not allow SLI on any card at <8x speed.

You either need a PLX board, x79 or x99 board to 3-way SLI I think.

Just installed the screen onto my VESA mount. it is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! All games run great at 4k, but Ryse, only get to 23-24fps with OC'ed GTX 970's G1.
Also, i had to take core to +135 instead of +140 just for extra stability.
4k World Of Warcraft @ max detail full AA, at the main temple balcony with over 100 people on screen...@ 45fps, gsync kicks in, smooth scrolling!

Settings:
Brightness: 70
Contrast: 50
Gama: Gaming
Colour Temp: Normal

Last edited:
Just installed the screen onto my VESA mount. it is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! All games run great at 4k, but Ryse, only get to 23-24fps with OC'ed GTX 970's G1.
4k World Of Warcraft @ max detail full AA, at the main temple balcony with over 100 people on screen...@ 45fps, gsync kicks in, smooth scrolling!

Settings:
Brightness: 75
Contrast: 60

Missed that Gama: Gaming setting, looks even better now IMO. Thanks for that one lol.

28705d1249474228-my-new-straight-razor-stand-44789.-thread-completely-useless-without-images-1-.jpg

Settings:
Brightness: 70
Contrast: 50

That's funny. I am using the exact same settings. Looks great!

Tri-SLI was causing my machine to act all kinds of crazy. Machine wouldn't boot without telling me my overclock failed. Sometimes the machine wouldn't start at all (just a blank screen). Even though SLI was selected in the nVidia control panel, benchmarks would perform like there was only one card being used sometimes. As soon as I went to two cards all of those issues went away. The biggest problem I am seeing with two cards is a crazy amount of stuttering or hitching when in G-Sync. Not sure what the deal is there. When I am on one card everything is aces.

Just to be sure... You do have all 3 bridges attached in tri-SLI, correct (1 between GPU1/GPU2, 1 between GPU2/GPU3, 1 between GPU1/GPU3)? Or you have one of those solid bridges designed for tri-SLI. Do you also have the cards in slots 1, 2, and 4 or 1, 3, and 5?

Just to be sure... You do have all 3 bridges attached in tri-SLI, correct (1 between GPU1/GPU2, 1 between GPU2/GPU3, 1 between GPU1/GPU3)? Or you have one of those solid bridges designed for tri-SLI. Do you also have the cards in slots 1, 2, and 4 or 1, 3, and 5?

Haha. Yeah, I could see how you might think I'm new to this. This isn't my first tri-SLI setup, just the first with the new 900 series of cards. I really think the problem is my motherboard (knew I should have just waited for the Rampage to come back in stock). I will say that I am on Windows 10 Technical Preview and I am sure that could be causing me grief too. As for the bridge, I have two, both of which are the solid jobs. Both give me the same results.

Haha. Yeah, I could see how you might think I'm new to this. This isn't my first tri-SLI setup, just the first with the new 900 series of cards. I really think the problem is my motherboard (knew I should have just waited for the Rampage to come back in stock). I will say that I am on Windows 10 Technical Preview and I am sure that could be causing me grief too. As for the bridge, I have two, both of which are the solid jobs. Both give me the same results.
:D
Just making sure... I'm usually the one who needs to ask the stupid questions ;).

Price is $50 off at Newegg right now with their promo code. I'm tempted to get one of these to go with my XB270H for the best of both worlds.

Why am i getting 90+ fps in Elite Dangerous and World of Warcraft on this monitor? Should it not cap at 60 with G-sync on? I checked V-sync was off, and G-sync is set to global.

Edit: Nevermind, it is an ingame issue, devs are working on them.

Last edited:
Back