Acer announces 4K 28" monitor with Gsync

Good luck with that. Even SLI 980s only average in the 40s at 4k.

Yeah, you're driving the equivalent of 4 1080p displays. Staying at 60 fps or better in more recent games is going to take a LOTTA LOT of horsepower.

It's not so bad if you disable features that I don't like anyways - like Motion Blur (LCDs are blurry enough already geez), Depth of field (more unneeded blurriness! This is not hollywood art films!), and lower the AA (or turn it off).

With the above off I can achieve 60 fps in most games at 4K on a single 980. Exceptions: Watch_Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, Sleeping Dogs - they become around 40 to 50 fps.

It's not so bad if you disable features that I don't like anyways - like Motion Blur (LCDs are blurry enough already geez), Depth of field (more unneeded blurriness! This is not hollywood art films!), and lower the AA (or turn it off).

With the above off I can achieve 60 fps in most games at 4K on a single 980. Exceptions: Watch_Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, Sleeping Dogs - they become around 40 to 50 fps.

And you can always just turn the in-game graphics settings down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you could get 60fps at all times, do you even need gsync? I thought it functions as vsync at capped fps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you could get 60fps at all times, do you even need gsync? I thought it functions as vsync at capped fps.

In an ideal case no, you would not. However, basically nothing today can consistently sustain 60hz@4K in a wide variety of games, so you get microstutter, even if you are averaging 60hz. So a GSync monitor would just feel consistently smooth, even with slight frame dips, compared to a non-Gsync monitor that dips and caps at 60. But yes, in a case where you are *mostly* at 60fps, the improvement is less noticeable / impressive.

With a GSync monitor though, you would be tempted to turn up the image quality and play at settings that might cause a 30-60fps spread (let's say averaging 45fps) and still find that almost as smooth or smoother than a mode that caps at 60 but has dips from time to time on a non-GSync.

Good luck with that. Even SLI 980s only average in the 40s at 4k.

Uh nope, a single 980 can handle many games at 4K....you frequent [H] but don't bother reading the GPU reviews?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/18/nvidia_maxwell_gpu_geforce_gtx_980_video_card_review/12

14110637240cPED1snfp_12_3.gif

14110637240cPED1snfp_12_4.gif

14110637240cPED1snfp_12_2.gif

Lol medium settings and still getting 40 fps with insanely oced cards with fans running 100%. Whats the point of 4k if you are just going to lower all settings anyway? There is nothing magical at 4k that makes it look better in general other than less aliasing and I would take very high settings on a 1080 screen and never dropping below 60 fps over that any day.

Lol medium settings and still getting 40 fps with insanely oced cards with fans running 100%.

Hyperbole much? The card in [H]'s review was running at stock and nothing is mentioned about fans running at 100%.

Whats the point of 4k if you are just going to lower all settings anyway?

This is the same miserable argument that someone always shuffles out whenever there is a jump to higher resolution gaming. Hell, its still hilarious to see people claim that they can't tell the difference between 720P and 1080P.

There is nothing magical at 4k that makes it look better in general other than less aliasing and I would take very high settings on a 1080 screen and never dropping below 60 fps over that any day.

Except much higher pixel density results in images being significantly sharper. Every review and preview I have read of 4K monitors confirms that games look stunning, more vibrant, more immersive, etc.

Hyperbole much? The card in [H]'s review was running at stock and nothing is mentioned about fans running at 100%.

This is the same miserable argument that someone always shuffles out whenever there is a jump to higher resolution gaming. Hell, its still hilarious to see people claim that they can't tell the difference between 720P and 1080P.

Except much higher pixel density results in images being significantly sharper. Every review and preview I have read of 4K monitors confirms that games look stunning, more vibrant, more immersive, etc.
Sorry I thought that was from the overclocked review. :eek:

You can fantasize and pretend all you want but again their is nothing all that special about 4k. Yes it will be a little more crisp and cut down aliasing for sure but medium settings will look worse on native 4k screen than very high settings on a native 1080 screen and that is a fact.

Uh nope, a single 980 can handle many games at 4K....you frequent [H] but don't bother reading the GPU reviews?

As already mentioned... Those are medium settings and still only getting in the 40s. Us [H] don't game at medium. We're more hardcore than that. :)

You can fantasize and pretend all you want but again their is nothing all that special about 4k. Yes it will be a little more crisp and cut down aliasing for sure but medium settings will look worse on native 4k screen than very high settings on a native 1080 screen and that is a fact.

Not fantasizing or pretending, I just actually understand the benefits of high pixel density. You can bang on about high vs medium details all you want, but it actually depends on the game, and there are plenty of games where the difference is barely noticeable so that the trade off between running at medium at 4K vs high at 1080P is worth it.

As already mentioned... Those are medium settings and still only getting in the 40s. Us [H] don't game at medium. We're more hardcore than that. :)

If you were hardcore you would have a triple 4K display powered by quad sli titans, but the premise of your original statement that I responded to is still incorrect. You don't need sli 980's to run games at acceptably at 4K.

I have triple 980s ready to pump some frames into this thing. I'll post my experience with this monitor when it arrives next week.

The problem with 4k is games will keep having higher requirements so it's going to stay in limbo for a while what might power games this year might not be good enough two years from now.
So you might stay at 40 FPS for a few years till graphics cards finally overpower 4K monitors and the games that run on them.

It's still Acer though :p but it's 4K and gsync =)

While true, I'm not the biggest fan of Acer it does represent the first 4K G-sync monitor to market. I'm going to give it a shot, but now I fear my GTX 970 SLI setup is going to be woefully inadequate.

So who's here bought this Acer 4k Gsync monitor? What are your thoughts and how is Gsync on 4k?

Then you would be running SLI also.

If 1440p is better than 1080p, then 4k is better than 1440p. It's going to be the standard soon, so people stop trying to convince yourself it is worthless. Basic human psychology, you can't have it, you reconcile it by seeing the negative sides.

Should have the monitor tomorrow and I can report back my thoughts. In the meantime, I decided to grab a third GTX 970 to help push the 8 million pixels. I hope for a winning combination. Fingers crossed.

Should have the monitor tomorrow and I can report back my thoughts. In the meantime, I decided to grab a third GTX 970 to help push the 8 million pixels. I hope for a winning combination. Fingers crossed.

Where did you pick it up? Looking forward to your impressions.

Do you guys recommend this 4k Gsync monitor? or a 30" 2560-1600 (no gsync) monitor?

All i want is a 30"+ either 4k or 1440 / 1600 with Gsync monitor and I'm happy. But I haven't found one yet. I dont want anything less than 30", like those 27" / 28" are flooding on the market right now.

Do you guys recommend this 4k Gsync monitor? or a 30" 2560-1600 (no gsync) monitor?

All i want is a 30"+ either 4k or 1440 / 1600 with Gsync monitor and I'm happy. But I haven't found one yet. I dont want anything less than 30", like those 27" / 28" are flooding on the market right now.

This is one of those 28" monitors you're speaking of...

Same here. Useful to have some information not directly from a review.

Then you would be running SLI also.

If 1440p is better than 1080p, then 4k is better than 1440p. It's going to be the standard soon, so people stop trying to convince yourself it is worthless. Basic human psychology, you can't have it, you reconcile it by seeing the negative sides.

I never said it's worthless. I agree with you, 4k will eventually be the standard. But there's no denying that the hardware to drive it at the settings we desire (60+ fps max settings) isn't quite there yet.

I never said it's worthless. I agree with you, 4k will eventually be the standard. But there's no denying that the hardware to drive it at the settings we desire (60+ fps max settings) isn't quite there yet.

I sincerely hope three GTX 970s will be able to achieve this. I think the hardware is there, but it is expensive to say the least.

I'm always confusing this. Whose solution is g-sync NVIDIA? I'd be really mad if we'd need to buy new displays if we want to switch between gpu manufacturers in the future.

I'm always confusing this. Whose solution is g-sync NVIDIA? I'd be really mad if we'd need to buy new displays if we want to switch between gpu manufacturers in the future.

G-Sync is an nVidia technology and I don't see any cross licensing in it's future, but the monitor itself will still work on AMD cards. You just don't get the G-Sync feature with an AMD card.

Well, looks like I am not going to be testing this as soon as I had hoped. My monitor is expected today, but video cards have disappeared and I have had to file a claim with Newegg. Talk about dampening the excitement.

UPDATE: Monitor arrived. I have it hooked up to my GTX 780 for the time being. Initial impression is: WOW! I have been using IPS/VA monitors for a long time and I was afraid I couldn't go back to a TN, but this monitor is very impressive. Yes, there is some TN shifting when you move your head around, but not as severe as I remember. I consider it a very livable amount. Color is bright and bold. With a little bit of fidgeting to get it off of it's extreme settings it really puts out a nice balanced picture. My office is very bright so I can't attest to blacklight bleed at the moment and will report back in the evening. What did surprise me is that running The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at 4K with everything maxed (minus AA), it runs a solid 60fps with G-Sync On. Beautiful looking game, but probably not the most taxing. I will play some more and report back, but as of the 30 minutes I have played around with it I like it.

Last edited:
Well, looks like I am not going to be testing this as soon as I had hoped. My monitor is expected today, but video cards have disappeared and I have had to file a claim with Newegg. Talk about dampening the excitement.

UPDATE: Monitor arrived. I have it hooked up to my GTX 780 for the time being. Initial impression is: WOW! I have been using IPS/VA monitors for a long time and I was afraid I couldn't go back to a TN, but this monitor is very impressive. Yes, there is some TN shifting when you move your head around, but not as severe as I remember. I consider it a very livable amount. Color is bright and bold. With a little bit of fidgeting to get it off of it's extreme settings it really puts out a nice balance, pictured. My office is very bright so I can't attest to blacklight bleed at the moment and will report back in the evening. What did surprise me is that running The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at 4K with everything maxed (minus AA), it runs a solid 60fps with G-Sync On. Beautiful looking game, but probably not the most taxing. I will play some more and report back, but as of the 30 minutes I have played around with it I like it.

Awesome, if you can post a pic or two, that would rock.

UPDATE: Monitor arrived. I have it hooked up to my GTX 780 for the time being. Initial impression is: WOW! I have been using IPS/VA monitors for a long time and I was afraid I couldn't go back to a TN, but this monitor is very impressive. Yes, there is some TN shifting when you move your head around, but not as severe as I remember. I consider it a very livable amount. Color is bright and bold. With a little bit of fidgeting to get it off of it's extreme settings it really puts out a nice balanced picture. My office is very bright so I can't attest to blacklight bleed at the moment and will report back in the evening. What did surprise me is that running The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at 4K with everything maxed (minus AA), it runs a solid 60fps with G-Sync On. Beautiful looking game, but probably not the most taxing. I will play some more and report back, but as of the 30 minutes I have played around with it I like it.
You need to turn on some AA ;). GSync acts like normal VSync when the game is running at max refresh rate. You'll probably see the most benefit of it by pushing the game's quality settings so it runs around 40 FPS average. Does this monitor also have ULMB? I'd recommend using that instead of GSync if you're pegged at 60 FPS.

You need to turn on some AA ;). GSync acts like normal VSync when the game is running at max refresh rate. You'll probably see the most benefit of it by pushing the game's quality settings so it runs around 40 FPS average. Does this monitor also have ULMB? I'd recommend using that instead of GSync if you're pegged at 60 FPS.

I am right at the edge of 60fps. It dips into the mid-50s as I play. Not sure what AA will get me since I don't really see any aliasing thus far. As for the ULMB, it supposedly has it and it is in the menu, but greyed out. Not sure how to activate it yet.

UPDATE: Strangely this monitor does not support ULMB. Not too sure why they left it in the menu even as a greyed out option.

Last edited:
I am right at the edge of 60fps. It dips into the mid-50s as I play. Not sure what AA will get me since I don't really see any aliasing thus far. As for the ULMB, it supposedly has it and it is in the menu, but greyed out. Not sure how to activate it yet.
You have to disable GSync to enable ULMB. You can't have both at the same time.

I'm sure AA will have minimal impact at this pixel density, just trying to get you on lower framerates to see GSync truly shine ;).

Received mine today.

First impressions:
Great picture, TN sure has come a long way.
28" is a great size for 4k. I was worried about scaling in windows 8.1, but I haven't seen many issues save a few minor annoyances.

There are a few applications where the text is looking pretty blurry. I'll attribute this to the scaling in windows, I don't think this is from the monitor. Any thoughts?

Gsync
Amazing technology. 40-60fps is virtually indistinguishable now (at least to me).
There is a very noticeable flicker when at a loading screen in various games. Perhaps the frame-rate dips to nothing in your usual game when you're staring at the loading screen? I've noticed it in Diablo3 and League of Legends, but it goes away as soon as a level loads.

Received mine today.

First impressions:
Great picture, TN sure has come a long way.
28" is a great size for 4k. I was worried about scaling in windows 8.1, but I haven't seen many issues save a few minor annoyances.

There are a few applications where the text is looking pretty blurry. I'll attribute this to the scaling in windows, I don't think this is from the monitor. Any thoughts?

Gsync
Amazing technology. 40-60fps is virtually indistinguishable now (at least to me).
There is a very noticeable flicker when at a loading screen in various games. Perhaps the frame-rate dips to nothing in your usual game when you're staring at the loading screen? I've noticed it in Diablo3 and League of Legends, but it goes away as soon as a level loads.

I have the same flicker too, so it must be a G-Sync thing. As a whole, I am right there with you, it is a great monitor.

Wait, has anyone tried to turn on ULMB? I thought this monitor didn't have that feature.

Edit: it might not be that useful at 60Hz though, so that might be a "no, never mind." It would be a nice perk to be able to do 1080p120 with ULMB though :)

Ulmb apparently only works 85hz/100hz/120hz. Probably just due to the Gsync module...but I could be wrong.

How is the ppi? Is it a noticeable improvement?

Back