A "Legend" Reborn: Logitech Brings Back the MX518 Gaming Mouse

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 23, 2019.

1. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

OK, I've had mine for a few days now and the first thing I noticed is that it feels like a mouse should feel. In other words, it feels "normal" to me because I used MX518s for so many years in the past. With one exception, the top surface makes my hands sweat a little. Not too uncomfortable, but it's noticeable. Still, I think I'm adjusting to it. What's more, it may feel "normal" as I said earlier, but I know the bits and pieces inside have been updated and that it's actually improved over what the mouse used to be. But it also means it's right for the performance we are currently used to so that's a plus you may not ever notice but is there all the same.

Armenius likes this.
  2. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

I had to get a G400S to replace my MX518 when it finally died.
    Now I can return the favor.

3. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Not much to be afraid of. Just request an RMA. Use the existing one until you get the replacement :)

I've only used Logitechs RMA process once (for a set of speakers) but from what I recall it went fairly smoothly.

4. maro

maro Limp Gawd

The one time I had to RMA something to Logitech it went very smoothly. Once proof of purchase was confirmed I had a new mouse in my hands within a week. They didn't even want the old mouse back (G400) - so I repaired the faulty cable and it is still working to this day.

Thanks for the great pics, Zara. There are a few things I noticed:

A couple screws in the top shell makes me think the silver shiny cover can be removed and possibly swapped out. It would be cool to have the new innards and the old 'dented' look of the original 518, or even the red or blue colored section from a 510 - assuming the shape of those inserts is the same.

Interesting little teflon pad around the sensor. Alot like what they did with the G Pro, and 502 tho that one is done differently. I like the extra pad around the center.

Proper strain relief for the cord - something the 510,518, and G400 didn't have - and the reason my G400 failed and got RMA'd. 510 failed in that spot as well, but outlasted the warranty. Fortunately it is an easy fix.

Was good thinking to test the putty. I thought it would have been conductive.

Thanks for the pics and write-up on your mod. I don't like a excessively heavy mouse but I don't like featherweight light either. I am a little concerned I might have to add something to mine once I (eventually) get one.

Zarathustra[H] likes this.
  5. Zarathustra[H]

You are right. It would be pretty cool to put the old school bump type top on this mouse.

I didn't check if it came off as it wasn't a part of my project, and I'd it does, I have no idea if the dimensions and screw Hole locatipns are identical.

You'd have to find one though. May need to come off of a donor mouse, and in that case it might be pretty worn at this point ...

My favorite pattern of all time was the semi metallic, semi camo pattern cover on the original G500. I had worn a bunch of that pattern off by the time I replaced mine though

I never had an original MX518. What was that bump pattern cover like? Plastic with a painted bump pattern?

6. lcpiper

Right, it wasn't textured at all, just the "painted" pattern gave it the dented bump look.

At the same time, although smooth, it's not the same kind of smooth as the remake. The remake is so smooth it makes my hands sweat which I don't remember from the original as being an issue.

Of course, a modder would just get some fine grit sandpaper and make the texture what he wanted, then break out the vinyl dye.

7. Zarathustra[H]

Plastidip maybe? :p

8. Shadow_Foxx

Shadow_Foxx [H]Lite

Everything is better with plastidip!

Like others have said, im still rocking my 518 no problems, although I admit I am not a heavy gamer. I think Ill keep it until it dies!

9. lcpiper

Frequently there is more than just one way to skin a cat.

10. Zarathustra[H]

Hmm. Let me guess. Do you now (or have you ever) owned a Volkswagen product? :p

lcpiper likes this.
  11. Shadow_Foxx

Shadow_Foxx [H]Lite

Oddly enough yes, although I am not into car modding or anything, which is what I assume this is referring to? Sorry I have no idea what youre talking about. lol

12. Zarathustra[H]

Not sure why, but plastidip is surprisingly popular for car modding in VW communities like VW Vortex.

13. Shadow_Foxx

Shadow_Foxx [H]Lite

Ah interesting! Yea I had a bone stock sedan, not a GTI or anything. :D