A "Legend" Reborn: Logitech Brings Back the MX518 Gaming Mouse

Armenius

Fully [H]
Lol... why are people responding to a thread from 1 years ago then? I thought this was a new post. lol. Never checked the date of the original post.
You can see the original post date under the thread title, though.
1618347759029.png

zamardii12

2[H]4U
People are too lazy to post recent news. Everyone wants everything served to them.
Is it possible to move threads from the news section after 6 months or something to another archived sub-section? Like "Hardforum Tech News - Archived" or something?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Is it possible to move threads from the news section after 6 months or something to another archived sub-section? Like "Hardforum Tech News - Archived" or something?
Possible, yes. Highly improbable. That requires continuous effort and attention. And quite frankly is not the right solution for the issue.

Kardonxt

2[H]4U
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you haven't used this mouse recently, it's probably not as great as you remember. I bought one when this thread got necroed and it just feels like a $30 mouse. It's not nearly as large \ substantial feeling as my memory believed.

I wish they would bring back something like the G9x, I can't find anything that fits my hand nearly as well.

DWolvin

2[H]4U
I really am thinking about rebuilding my old MS Sidewinder X5 mouse. There is something to be said for stumbling on a mouse that feels good. Wonder how hard it would be to swap the guts from something more modern.

Armenius

Fully [H]
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you haven't used this mouse recently, it's probably not as great as you remember. I bought one when this thread got necroed and it just feels like a $30 mouse. It's not nearly as large \ substantial feeling as my memory believed.

I wish they would bring back something like the G9x, I can't find anything that fits my hand nearly as well.
They used the same mold, so it is literally the same shape and size as the original. The new one is a few grams lighter than the old one, though (102g vs. 106g).

1619628050055.png

Kardonxt

2[H]4U
They used the same mold, so it is literally the same shape and size as the original. The new one is a few grams lighter than the old one, though (102g vs. 106g).
I have no doubt the mouse is the same as the one I owned in 2005. I'm just saying that adult me now realizes it's just a budget gaming mouse while teenage me thought it was great.

I wanted to give other users a heads up that if they haven't used one in a while they may be remembering it more fondly than they should. (rose colored glasses and all that jazz)

Armenius

Fully [H]
I have no doubt the mouse is the same as the one I owned in 2005. I'm just saying that adult me now realizes it's just a budget gaming mouse while teenage me thought it was great.

I wanted to give other users a heads up that if they haven't used one in a while they may be remembering it more fondly than they should. (rose colored glasses and all that jazz)
By today's standard's, sure. But back then this was god tier gear. I also think some of that weight saving in the new one might be from cheaper materials compared to the old one...

prime2515102

[H]ard|Gawd
I also think some of that weight saving in the new one might be from cheaper materials compared to the old one...
Most of the weight (by a small margin) seems to be toward the front more so than any mouse I've used (this is a good thing if you ask me - the weight is right where I grip it). I can't be sure without opening it (which I'm not going to do) but I think they took some material off the back end or the PCB is shorter. The shell might be slighter thinner too though, who knows.

jfreund

[H]ard|Gawd
If they ever want to see another of my dollars they will bring back the corded TrackMan Wheel / BB18. Until then I will continue to replace switches with my crap soldering skills. :)
My trusty Microsoft Trackball Optical (D67-00001) has been going strong for 20+ years. I started with the old Logitech Trackman with 3 buttons before scroll wheels were a thing and got used to having a button under my ring finger. The Trackman Wheel took that button away, but I found the MS trackball. Of course, they quit making that one at least 15 years ago. I stocked up when I could find them, but none of them was as smooth as my original. In the last few years I found a wireless/wired Elecom trackball with that button under the ring finger and I have several in use on different systems.