980 Ti

Yeah, do not jump on the reference 980Ti unless you absolutely MUST HAVE IT NOW, and/or you play on headphones/do not care about noise level.
I like a silent build, so I am waiting for some good non-reference designs. My current video card has the same TDP as 980Ti and the cooling in Gigbayte OC is quite good, on a customized fan profile the card reaches 83 C under load with around 50% fan speed, which is not too loud, and there is not much throttling (core is over 1GHz).

I think that is wrong.
I just got two reference models.
I have them overclocked to run 1400 MHz under load (GPU clock + 185) with no voltage increase and the fans running at 65%.

I can run this card all day at this load and the temperature is 70-72C.

The fans are barely audible, and honestly just blend in with the case fan noise.

My intention is to watercool them as soon as there are Heatkiller blocks available so to be able to up the VCore and see what these cards can really accomplish.

That said, these latest NVidia reference coolers are about as good as you can ask from a single fan reference cooler. They beat what any other brand has to offer without question.

I think that is wrong.
I have them overclocked to run 1400 MHz under load (GPU clock + 185) with no voltage increase and the fans running at 65%.

The fans are barely audible, and honestly just blend in with the case fan noise.

My intention is to watercool them as soon as there are Heatkiller blocks available so to be able to up the VCore and see what these cards can really accomplish.

That said, these latest NVidia reference coolers are about as good as you can ask from a single fan reference cooler. They beat what any other brand has to offer without question.

I agree with magoo. As long as you don't touch voltage, which doesn't buy you much anyways, the nVidia reference models stay pretty quiet.

I agree with magoo. As long as you don't touch voltage, which doesn't buy you much anyways, the nVidia reference models stay pretty quiet.

+1 to both... when watercooling is in mind or SLI configuration.. reference its the way to go..

Ref 980 Ti is about the same noise level as the ref 290X.
You people are craaaaaaaaaazy.

lmao "Quiet"... My sides.

Ref 980 Ti is about the same noise level as the ref 290X.
You people are craaaaaaaaaazy.

lmao "Quiet"... My sides.

have you even tried? or heard by yourself? its far, far of being at the same level of reference 290X.. specially in uber mode.. isn't as quiet as the original Titan Cooler, but its still indeed quiet and with a certainly adjusted fan curve can keep the card quiet under any kind of load..

I think that is wrong.

wonder what I am doing wrong, I need to keep fans at 100% to keep it 75-79 range.

I don't even have it overclocked other then factory SC

you have to factor a few things, first, room temp, second case cooling.. people with plenty of airflow and additional fans have better cooling with reference cards, specially those cases that use fan mounted in the HDD cage which supply direct fresh air to the GPUs..

Those are some serious clocks. What's the secret?

I was going to ask the same thing, but I wonder whether those clocks work in games too. I could hit 1550/8100 on my 980s looping Heaven and other benches, but they would crash out of almost any game at anything above about 1495/7900.

I don't understand this generation obsession with quiet GPUs. Last time I checked, GPUs only get stressed when under load from gaming which, if I remember correctly, tend to have sound effects and music playing.

I don't understand this generation obsession with quiet GPUs. Last time I checked, GPUs only get stressed when under load from gaming which, if I remember correctly, tend to have sound effects and music playing.

Yes, I'd like to enjoy those without a massive "whoosh" sound on top of it all. No, I don't want to use headphones. Plus the custom coolers usually allow better overclocking and still less noise than reference.

some cards are noisy enough to even distract a gaming session under loads even with headphones.. specially at night with those games where a lot of stealth is involved... Metro, Alien isolation, are good examples where even with headphones you can be distracted by the noise of your rig.. and trust me nobody like that.. some aftermarket cards can produce a whistling sound which its horrible.. as example my oldie 660TI with EVGA's signature 2 cooler. produced a horrible sound at 70%+ fan speed that can be heard in the whole room, so in long gaming sessions the sound can be very annoying..

Didn't realize so many people game with their rig sitting on their desk next to them with the exhaust pointed at their ear. I've never had a reference card loud enough to bother me. My 780 SLIs definitely don't put out anything loud enough to distract me from gaming and it sits under my desk next to my feet with upside down orientation on my case so all the exhaust blows upwards. Just seems like so much fuss over nothing. And this coming from someone that gets pissed off at coil whine. I guess my home has great noise cancelling accoustics or my speakers are just that good.

Didn't realize so many people game with their rig sitting on their desk next to them with the exhaust pointed at their ear. I've never had a reference card loud enough to bother me. My 780 SLIs definitely don't put out anything loud enough to distract me from gaming and it sits under my desk next to my feet with upside down orientation on my case so all the exhaust blows upwards. Just seems like so much fuss over nothing.

the reference cooler in the 780 aka original TITAN cooler its a amazing piece of hardware.. yes they are quiet enough... however that isn't the case of all the cards in the market... and remember noise and loud are subjective.. but some cards can be really annoying.. even if im not extremely picky with noise on GPUs under heavy loads... and actually kinda like it.. :p but under light loads, light gaming low usage and work I like my machines to be as quiet as possible, near dead silent.. and I work A LOT with GPUs.. so its a think to worry about when I have 6 machines in a single room working..

Didn't realize so many people game with their rig sitting on their desk next to them with the exhaust pointed at their ear. I've never had a reference card loud enough to bother me. My 780 SLIs definitely don't put out anything loud enough to distract me from gaming and it sits under my desk next to my feet with upside down orientation on my case so all the exhaust blows upwards. Just seems like so much fuss over nothing. And this coming from someone that gets pissed off at coil whine. I guess my home has great noise cancelling accoustics or my speakers are just that good.

You haven't heard a loud card until you've used a gtx480 or 290x with a reference cooler. :eek:

You haven't heard a loud card until you've used a gtx480 or 290x with a reference cooler. :eek:

I did experience the 480 woes, that thing was a unique piece of hardware.
geforce_gtx_480_meant_to_be_grilled.jpg

But i didn't think the 290x was that bad for the week or so I used it. Maybe I just have good ambient temps. My little 8800GT was louder than 99% of the cards I have used in the last 6 years.

My machine is on the floor off to the side but I can still hear the fan on my 780 Ti over my surround sound setup. It's not loud or distracting but definitely audible.

But i didn't think the 290x was that bad for the week or so I used it. Maybe I just have good ambient temps. My little 8800GT was louder than 99% of the cards I have used in the last 6 years.
You keep answering your own question... Citing old cards and how loud they were and then questioning why newer cards with better and more efficient technology are more desirable seems strange

You keep answering your own question... Citing old cards and how loud they were and then questioning why newer cards with better and more efficient technology are more desirable seems strange

What I am saying is, GPUs now a days are nowhere near as loud as back then. So I don't see where the complaints have been valid aside from a few unique cases. Regardless I guess I am just used to it by now because even the loudest GPU didn't bother me. I still stuck with that 8800GT for 2 years.

To each his own. If you have tolerance for noise, it does not bother you, then good for you, by all means buy any card you want and have fun. Just accept the fact that some people have less tolerance for noise, or like it when their rig is nicely quiet even under load (I managed to achieve this using Fractal Define R4 wih 140mm intake and exhaust fans, Macho HR-02 cooler, and Corsair RM750). Nothing wrong with striving for silence, just like there's nothing wrong with ignoring noise if it does not bother you. No need for calling a personal preference to have a quiet rig "an obsession".

I think we simply reached the point with Kepler and Maxwell that we can have our cake and eat it too - high performance with low noise. I know the first day I had my 970, went straight to a 25% overclock and could barely hear the card in my case I just remember thinking that it seemed like a turning point. Because historically one tended to have to choose - performance with noise, or performance dialed back to fit a noise comfort level. Or if you were an AMD owner you simply continued trying to tell yourself that the jet engine in your case wasn't really rattling your nerves and those of everyone in the household and it was just your imagination.

I agree, I have 780Ti which is 250W card (just like Titan X) and Windforce cooler is able to keep it cool and relatively quiet. My friend has 970 (MSI) and he keeps the card under 80 in full load on RPM below 1000. But 970s TDP is 145W, and 980Ti is back to 780Ti levels with 250W TDP.

Regarding reference cooling on 980Ti, I am looking for reviews on sites which are as noise-intolerant ;) as me. What I found was not optimistic.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/30.html said:
Unfortunately, NVIDIA has been sloppy in their implementation of the GTX 980 Ti's fan settings. The card does not stop its fan in idle or light gaming. While it is very quiet while not loaded, that's not good enough for many low-noise gamers. The same happened with the GTX Titan X, I wonder why.
During full-on gaming, the GTX 980 Ti is very audible as its noise output slightly exceeds that of the Titan X. Our Titan X sample runs its fan at 48% (=2300 RPM) and the GTX 980 Ti runs the fan at 50% (= 2380 RPM). Here the GTX 980 Ti is again too noisy, not following the trend. Sorry, this is not 2013 anymore, and NVIDIA's own fantastic efficiency improvements brought forth this age of super-quiet high-end gaming cards with such exemplary products as the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX and MSI GTX 980 Gaming; the GTX 980 Ti is not one of them. To me, it looks as though the cooler is a bit too weak to handle the heat, so NVIDIA had to turn up the fans. I do have high hopes for custom-board designs, which should definitely reduce noise levels.

fannoise_load.gif

Before someone starts raging against the reviewer - remember this is from a perspective of someone who prefers a low-noise system. Nothing inherently wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with not being bothered by a noisy rig.

db charts are soooo useless. I need to hear the type of noise!

The rumor now says that the card will see word between 19th and 26th May... which is logic choice for NV, as it's Witcher 3 release date. So people who will want to upgrade their old hardware to play Witcher, will get something new and shiny.

I know it's too good to believe, but I'd like very much it to be true. After upgrade to 1440p, my single 970 is not enough to play everything on max, and I could use upgrade. Don't want to go to 2nd one because of VRAM issues, and 980 is rather sidegrade.

I just upgraded to 1440p with g-sync and the 980 can handle it fine, just not with any AA or anything. Definately going for the ti. too bad all the hybrids are 1500 on ebay ={

db charts are soooo useless. I need to hear the type of noise!
Its pretty loud when overclocked but its actually not all that rough or whiny sounding. The reference gtx 470 I used was way louder and much more annoying sounding even at stock clocks. Still though I think I may return the reference 980 Ti for a non reference card.

Those are some serious clocks. What's the secret?

custom bios running at 1.28v.

watercooled max temp of 38c.

No secret, just a lot of money invested and a lot of luck with 2 great cards.

I can game all day on these. I lower it to 1540 for 24/7 since 1550 locks in benchmarks due to not enough voltage. No artifacts or crazy crashes etc. I can't get these things to crash if i tried and I have tried everything under the sun for hours on end.

I wonder if the evga hybrid will ever be in stock long enough for me to buy two. I'm starting to feel like I have to settle for something else or wait for AMD

Yeah, judging by the pictures, the ammount of copper they used and the weight of the full copper heatsink MSI 970 Golden edition, it could be up to 1.5KG.

I am more concerned by the amount of plugs it has though...

Wow, I wish I had your (lack of) sensitivity to noise. The 290s with ref coolers I had for my mining rig was loud enough that I could hear it from 2 rooms away when coming down into the basement. It was LOUD.

Even my current setup of SLI 980s is loud enough to be distracting when I'm playing games, and my PC is on the floor under my desk.

custom bios running at 1.28v.

watercooled max temp of 38c.

No secret, just a lot of money invested and a lot of luck with 2 great cards.

I can game all day on these. I lower it to 1540 for 24/7 since 1550 locks in benchmarks due to not enough voltage. No artifacts or crazy crashes etc. I can't get these things to crash if i tried and I have tried everything under the sun for hours on end.

Awesome. I plan to WC mine too. Did you make the alter the bios yourself or download one? I might have to look for one.

Glad to hear you can do so well with reference board circuitry

Awesome. I plan to WC mine too. Did you make the alter the bios yourself or download one? I might have to look for one.

Glad to hear you can do so well with reference board circuitry

Custom bios that was posted on another forum made from an evga 980ti SC card. I can PM you the link.

Back