980 Ti

Just got my reference 980ti in today and at idle I can barely hear it. It is quieter than my 980 g1 was.

j5k6oqZ.jpg

I went through 4 evga gtx 970 and 1 980. All of those coil whined me to death. Looks like it's time to avoid eVGA for the 980 ti.

Hard to say - the only thing I'm certain from that review is that 5 bars in tech level are huge overstatment ;)

coil whine is unacceptable at that price point; do the manufacturers ignore the issue ?

Lol ouch. I am pretty close to cancelling my order on that exact model and getting something else. I may even just get a reference card...

Buy whatever makes you comfortable dude, it's a nice chunk of change. I wouldn't give ASUS ten cents for example, even if the card performed amazing.

If you're actually that worried about cooling, you need to get a hybrid AIO card.

Just got my reference 980ti in today and at idle I can barely hear it. It is quieter than my 980 g1 was.

The G1 cooler is definitely noisy, but it's the most effective at the same time.

Hard to say - the only thing I'm certain from that review is that 5 bars in tech level are huge overstatment ;)

Pretty much. It's just a reference card with a different cooler stuck on. Complaints of coil whine can be directed at nVidia's reference design, assuming they're not actually power supply related.

It looks like the 980 Ti ACX uses the 980 heatsink copy-paste.

Comparison: http://i.imgur.com/U4fPmRP.gif
Full shot of the 980 ACX: http://i.imgur.com/9Wlp43j.png

The heatpipes on the Ti might be slightly thicker? Hard to tell.
I would remind you the 980 Ti consumes 70Wish more than the 980.

It isn't possible that the ACX cooler on the 980 is the same on the 980 Ti - they went through a pretty big redesign with the ACX 2.0+ that was released only on the 980 Kingpin, 970 SSC, and 970 FTW+ (starting in January). Solved issues like VRM cooling, memory, etc. versus the 2.0.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00897/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-970-FTW/

I have the SSC - it's one of the fastest 970s factory OC-wise. Runs cool and quiet. I'm not too worried about the Step Up to the 980 Ti ACX 2.0+. If there are issues - EVGA will take care of them. It's likely that dude on NewEgg just got a bad card. No reason to panic.

It isn't possible that the ACX cooler on the 980 is the same on the 980 Ti - they went through a pretty big redesign with the ACX 2.0+ that was released on the Kingpin, 970 SSC, and 970 FTW+. Solved issues like VRM cooling, memory, etc. versus the 2.0.

That would probably be the full cover plate, which it doesn't seem the 980 uses.
The heatsink being used on the 980 Ti ACX2.0+ does not match the previous plus models.

The FTW models use their own separate heatsink.
There are three sets of fins on FTW models and two sets on regular 2.0/2.0+ models.

XvKfPyQ.jpg

It isn't possible that the ACX cooler on the 980 is the same on the 980 Ti - they went through a pretty big redesign with the ACX 2.0+ that was released on the Kingpin, 970 SSC, and 970 FTW+. Solved issues like VRM cooling, memory, etc. versus the 2.0.

The 980 heatsink never had those issues. It's also not the same as the one on the 970 FTW. The "+" refers to an improved baseplate on the 980 Ti and Titan X ACX coolers.

Compare the 980 ACX here with the Titan X ACX here. You can see both are different from the 970 FTW here.

The only change between FTW+ and FTW is power target. There is no 970 with the 980 ACX cooler.

That would probably be the full cover plate, which it doesn't seem the 980 uses.
The heatsink being used on the 980 Ti ACX2.0+ does not match the previous plus models.

The FTW models use their own separate heatsink.
There are three sets of fins on FTW models and two sets on regular 2.0/2.0+ models.

XvKfPyQ.jpg

970 FTW and SSC with ACX 2.0+ are identical in every way - only difference is the factory clock and included backplate

The 980 heatsink never had those issues. It's also not the same as the one on the 970 FTW. The "+" refers to an improved baseplate on the 980 Ti and Titan X ACX coolers.

Compare the 980 ACX here with the Titan X ACX here. You can see both are different from the 970 FTW here.

The only change between FTW+ and FTW is power target. There is no 970 with the 980 ACX cooler.

I'm referring to ACX 2.0+ - I know it is hard to keep up wtih EVGA's crappy branding, ha. ACX 2.0+ is a redesigned cooling system that was released on 980 Kingpin and those two 970 models early this year. ACX 2.0+ is also being used on the 980 Ti. Hence my point that there is no way the 980 ACX 2.0 is the same as what is on the 980 Ti.

Thanks. That's the improved design on the FTW+ and SSC with ACX 2.0+. The one that you showed earlier is the previous design. Linked here:

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2222180

He also addresses the 980 versus 970 ACX 2.0. HOWEVER, we are talking about ACX 2.0+ here today with the 980 Ti (and the Kingpin and 970 variants I have been mentioning).

I know it's confusing. I just researched all of this extensively a couple of months ago when I bought my 970 for my secondary box.

EVGA rushed their ACX cards to market, which is why they are for-sale and the other AIBs are still working. The metal on the 980 ACX 2.0 is identical to that on the 980 Ti ACX 2.0+.

The first 2.0+ models of the 970 last year were the same way.

EVGA rushed their ACX cards to market, which is why they are for-sale and the other AIBs are still working. The metal on the 980 ACX 2.0 is identical to that on the 980 Ti ACX 2.0+.

The first 2.0+ models of the 970 last year were the same way.

Except 2.0+ did not appear until this year.

ACX 2.0+ is different from ACX 2.0. If it's slightly altered in the 980/980 Ti versus 970 sense...sure. But the reason they released the revision is because of the issues on the 970s. They then applied it to the 980 Kingpin as well as those two 970 variants I've been talking about. They did not release until January.

More pics of ACX 2.0+ on a 980:
http://www.evga.com/articles/00904/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-KINGPIN-ACX-2/

Looks like 4 fins versus 3 with the ACX 2.0+ 970s. Part of the reason for the revision, I believe, may be the mismatch on the 970 and not the 980. Which could be why parts of ACX 2.0+ that were applied to the 970 do not appear on the Kingpin 980. Based on the pics it's looking like the cooling system that you posted earlier for the 2014 FTW 970 is exactly the same as the 980s.

The Kingpin and Classified heatsinks are not the ones on the 980 Ti SC. That will be similar to the one on the Classified. It is the Titan X one I linked earlier that people have been discussing in the Titan X thread.

The Kingpin and Classified heatsinks are not the ones on the 980 Ti SC. That will be similar to the one on the Classified. It is the Titan X one I linked earlier that people have been discussing in the Titan X thread.

Ha. Look at the pics on the 980 Kingpin page, my friend. I think it is the same!

EVGA just has a crazy marketing dept man. It is confusing with all of their terms that they use.

Ha. Look at the pics on the 980 Kingpin page, my friend. I think it is the same!

EVGA just has a crazy marketing dept man. It is confusing with all of their terms that they use.

It is not. The PCB isn't even the same. TaintedSquirrel is correct that it is wider.

lol...so maybe we're back to square one. I know they DID change the fans/fan motor, at min...on the Kingpin 980 ACX 2.0+.
Well I don't know about their entire line-up but the heatsink used on the regular 980 ACX 2.0 from October 2014 is the same heatsink attached to the 980 Ti ACX being sold today.
There's a massive TDP difference between the two cards. I would assume that old heatsink is their highest wattage design to date... The existing FTW/2.0+ models we've seen so far aren't capable of handling as much heat.

If you buy that card you do so at your own risk. The base ACX models sucked in the first place, it's going to be a trainwreck on the 980 Ti. I bet they didn't send out any review samples.

They will replace the card with a new model in a month (with a new heatsink), like all the other AIBs.
The fact that they are selling that heatsink for the TX is shameful.

It is not. The PCB isn't even the same. TaintedSquirrel is correct that it is wider.

I can't find a picture of the ACX 2.0+ cooler from the 980 Ti. So I won't argue. The shots on the 980 Kingpin EVGA page look the same as the shots from the TITAN X cooler for $70 page. Granted - they are not like for like pictures but the heatpipes that are exposed/etc. look similar.

EDIT:

Found a topic on the EVGA forums. If you guys are members - chime in. I'd like EVGA to comment on this.
http://forums.evga.com/does-the-980-Ti-ACX-20-use-the-same-cooler-as-on-the-980-version-m2346362.aspx

I can't find a picture of the ACX 2.0+ cooler from the 980 Ti. So I won't argue. The shots on the 980 Kingpin EVGA page look the same as the shots from the TITAN X cooler for $70 page. Granted - they are not like for like pictures but the heatpipes that are exposed/etc. look similar.

EDIT:

Found a topic on the EVGA forums. If you guys are members - chime in. I'd like EVGA to comment on this.
http://forums.evga.com/does-the-980-Ti-ACX-20-use-the-same-cooler-as-on-the-980-version-m2346362.aspx

Dude the Kingpin PCB is is 0.5 inches longer and 1.564 inches wider. All this info is right on eVGA's site. I posted pictures of the 980 Ti heatsink by linking the Titan X one, it's the same.

The fans might be the same, but the heatsink is not.

Dude the Kingpin PCB is is 0.5 inches longer and 1.564 inches wider. All this info is right on eVGA's site. I posted pictures of the 980 Ti heatsink by linking the Titan X one, it's the same.

The fans might be the same, but the heatsink is not.

So it's the same cooler - just enlarged by 1.1x (or whatever) to accommodate the larger PCB. I stand corrected.

However, it's not like it is a different cooler - it's the exact same design/setup as what has been used and what is being used. Which gets to the core of the problem at EVGA if they haven't altered the 980 ACX for the 980 Ti. I assume the 980 Ti is similar in size to the 980 PCB-wise - so this is where the concern lies. Increased TDP. I'm tracking with everyone now. I made assumptions based on ACX 2.0+ and the 970 world.

hey could one of you guys measure the exact lenght of the reference card pcb in millimeters for me? just to confirm it. :cool:

Just posted a summary to Reddit.

* Disclaimer: This analysis is based entirely on the 360 degree viewing angle of the card through EVGA's website.

980 Ti ACX 2.0+ vs 980 ACX 2.0: http://i.imgur.com/U4fPmRP.gif
Titan X ACX 2.0+ vs 980 ACX 2.0: http://i.imgur.com/lHJZeRZ.png

The 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ model is already for sale (while other cards like the Twin Frozr, WindForce, etc are not available) due to the fact that EVGA has not designed a new heatsink to accommodate the Titan X / 980 Ti.

This is also the same heatsink being sold for the TX on EVGA's Website. More pics of the original 980 ACX 2.0 (October 2014) can be found in this review.

The 980 Ti consumes 70~80W more than the 980, as a result you really don't want to use the old model as it won't handle the extra heat very well.

I guess one might argue the heatsink worked fine on past Nvidia 250W cards (780 Ti).
Just by taking a quick check at the MSI Gaming 980 Ti, it also seems to be using the same heatsink as their 980 model.

Unscientific and subjective observation:

I keep getting this idea somehow that EVGA has "lost a step" somewhere and that MSI and Gigabyte are the brands (among others) that I should be giving a closer look to.

True or false?

ACX has always been the worst of the bunch.

No kidding.

What's the story on this new ACX 2.0 concept?

EVGA uses ref boards for most of their cards.

Noted. I've seen the back and forth on that.

I've always had a lot of good fortune and experience with EVGA myself but nothing's perfect. I get that.

I guess one might argue the heatsink worked fine on past Nvidia 250W cards (780 Ti).

Some data for this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/evga-geforce-gtx-780-ti-sc-acx-superclock-review,1.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/64269-evga-gtx-780-ti-sc-acx-review.html

To me it looks like eVGA put the 780 Ti heatsink on the 980, and then put that on the 980 Ti. It also looks like the 780 and 780 Ti ACX coolers are the same. The fans are obviously completely different on ACX 2.0 compared to the older versions.

Just by taking a quick check at the MSI Gaming 980 Ti, it also seems to be using the same heatsink as their 980 model.

It seems like that, but I didn't want to assume until someone actually took one apart.

Hopefully long enough for AMD to reveal Fury. Every 980Ti review I read (Anand, Digital Foundry, Techpowerup, pcgamer) advised to hold off buying the card and waiting for Fury pricing and performance.

Back