7970 pricing ....

yeh, I highly doubt this is the case.

From my understanding, 2 HDMI 1DVI 2 DP or 2 DVI 1 HDMI 2 DP or something around that line.

Also I remember when "pre-order" for 6870 showed online, it pegged 6870 as around $425 for it, nowhere near that price when it finally showed up.

I believe it will be $489 and $389 for 7970/7950, after all they are die shrunk so cheaper to produce, but also a new product with alot under the hood, so the prices should be fair but justified all at once :)

Euro prices never get converted at exchange rates to US prices for items like these. Usually it is a 1 for 1, which at $525 sounds about right. I'd wager the 7970 will go for around $500 when released.

Second image also shows 3x DVI... If true, will be interesting to see how they fit all those ports on the back...

Euro prices never get converted at exchange rates to US prices for items like these. Usually it is a 1 for 1, which at $525 sounds about right. I'd wager the 7970 will go for around $500 when released.

Yeah, we always get better prices on computer hardware than the exchange rate. 1:1 dollars to GBP on hardware seems like a pretty good estimate in my experience.

There is 0 chance ATI will ever charge that much for a single GPU. At least, not under their most recent pricing schemes.

But will that lower oc potential?

Sorry, I was being facetious - I'd be shocked if they didn't have a rear exhaust on the card. Although I guess it might be possible, if power consumption is low enough with the die shrink.

To rich for my blood. I plan on getting a 7950 if its around the $300~$350 range.

To rich for my blood. I plan on getting a 7950 if its around the $300~$350 range.
I'm still amazed they can charge this kind of cash for performance cards which are borderline useless this day and age, specifically the last 2 or 3 years. I guess Eyefinity/Surround is a good gimmick to justify that much cheddar.

With all the ports coming out, and the consoles being ~5 years old now, doesn't make sense to me anymore. :S

I'm still amazed they can charge this kind of cash for performance cards which are borderline useless this day and age, specifically the last 2 or 3 years. I guess Eyefinity/Surround is a good gimmick to justify that much cheddar.

With all the ports coming out, and the consoles being ~5 years old now, doesn't make sense to me anymore. :S

BF3 disagrees with that assessment.

I had 4 DVI ports on my sapphire 4850x2 card, but never had the chance to use them all :(

On one hand, we hear a 30% increase over the 6970 and on the other hand we see those ridiculous prices.

I have GTX 580's in SLI and I need more for BF3. These things will sell like hot cakes because they are needed with some of the new games on the market. Everyone doesn't play at 1080P or less you know. One simple 30" monitor needs more power to completely max out the newest games. I will buy two HD 7970 on launch day.

well, 1Ghz core clock sounds not right, this has been claimed for many past launch estimates, but this one specifically does not sound right, seeing as apprently AMD is using TSMC low power node not the high power high clock one, if they are using as mentioned and hitting 1 Ghz on the core and Nvidia is planning on using the other node tailored for higher clocking potential, that would mean a)awesome overclocking cards may be available b) Nvidia when they release thier own kepler series are going to be seriously fast cards.

I personally would not view any of these "pre-order" pricing sites, not often are they correct in most regards, seeing as NDA still applies to products as well as info untill AMD releases NDA which will be in January. I dont know, $500 or less for a single card, maybe, but even then I think around $450 at most, if not, that means they are not planning on having competition for many more months :O

$300-350 for a 7950 that is claimed to match the $500 GTX 580 in performance? That would be a great deal, but I doubt it will happen. Maybe 1.5 GB 7950s will be below $400, but who wants those anyway.

Price of new gpu = O+X

O = Whatever the last generation equal position GPU from company cost on release.
X = +/- 5% of O

well, 1Ghz core clock sounds not right, this has been claimed for many past launch estimates, but this one specifically does not sound right, seeing as apprently AMD is using TSMC low power node not the high power high clock one, if they are using as mentioned and hitting 1 Ghz on the core and Nvidia is planning on using the other node tailored for higher clocking potential, that would mean a)awesome overclocking cards may be available b) Nvidia when they release thier own kepler series are going to be seriously fast cards.

I personally would not view any of these "pre-order" pricing sites, not often are they correct in most regards, seeing as NDA still applies to products as well as info untill AMD releases NDA which will be in January. I dont know, $500 or less for a single card, maybe, but even then I think around $450 at most, if not, that means they are not planning on having competition for many more months :O

where did you hear they are using the low power node? i heard they might use that for the 7800 series. as far as i know the 7900 will not be on the low power node.

where did you hear they are using the low power node? i heard they might use that for the 7800 series. as far as i know the 7900 will not be on the low power node.

Same here. Though at the time of the lower power process all the rumor sites were saying the 7800 would be released first (due to that process being ready). I thought some are saying now the 7700, 7800, and 7900 series will all be GCN and everything lower will just be rebranded. I don't even know what to think, so I am just waiting for official details instead of getting dragged by one rumor.

Same here. Though at the time of the lower power process all the rumor sites were saying the 7800 would be released first (due to that process being ready). I thought some are saying now the 7700, 7800, and 7900 series will all be GCN and everything lower will just be rebranded. I don't even know what to think, so I am just waiting for official details instead of getting dragged by one rumor.

only the 7900 will be gcn, the rest will be rebrands or vliw4.

I expect that all 28nm chips will be GCN. What sense does it make to port VLIW4 to 28nm HPL?

So are these gonna be PCI-e 3.0? I understand the sandybridge doesn't support 3.0 but ivy will? Is it still okay to run one if they are 3.0 in a 2.1 slot?

So are these gonna be PCI-e 3.0? I understand the sandybridge doesn't support 3.0 but ivy will? Is it still okay to run one if they are 3.0 in a 2.1 slot?

Yes, it is backwards compatible, much like a 2.0 card will run in a 1.0 PCI-e slot, just at reduced bandwidth. PCI-e 3.0 will only benefit cards that actually require greater bandwidth than the 2.1 spec.

Yes, it is backwards compatible, much like a 2.0 card will run in a 1.0 PCI-e slot, just at reduced bandwidth. PCI-e 3.0 will only benefit cards that actually require greater bandwidth than the 2.1 spec.

Which to my understanding is pretty much no card right now? What about these 7900s will they exceed the 2.1 bandwith?

Which to my understanding is pretty much no card right now? What about these 7900s will they exceed the 2.1 bandwith?

will it exceed 8x pci-e 2.0/2.1? probably in crossfire. will it exceed 16x pci-e 2.0/2.1? i highly doubt it even with a 7990.

you have to remember a 6990 can easily run on 8x 2.0 let alone 16x 2.0, the predictions are that a single 7970 might get close to 6990 performance in single card/gpu form so obviously its not going to exceed the bandwidth a 6990 uses.

dec.22 would be nice... maybe it will be a hardlaunch and I can get mine before 2012.

my 5870 needs to retire.

There is 0 chance ATI will ever charge that much for a single GPU. At least, not under their most recent pricing schemes.
Do you recall AMD FX CPUs from when the Athlon was superior to Intel's chips?

If NVIDIA's Kepler gets delayed and the 7900 performs as expected, prices will be high to milk the market while they can.

That said, $499 wouldn't be outrageous for a 7970XT IMO.

I have 0 interest in their high end market. Are they planning on releasing a card with performance equal to the HD 6950 with 2GB of RAM for around $200 or so? And one that is 10 inches or shorter?

With the rumored high pricing of the 7900 models I don't think 6900 level performance parts (7800's perhaps) are going to be much cheaper than current 6900 prices.

I have 0 interest in their high end market. Are they planning on releasing a card with performance equal to the HD 6950 with 2GB of RAM for around $200 or so? And one that is 10 inches or shorter?
Considering that there is no official information on the cards yet, no one can answer this, but given you can find 6950s for ~$250 or less, I would imagine the answer is yes.

you are wrong on that. the only the 7900 series will be gcn. this is how amd does it. look at the 6000 series. only the 6900 series are vliw4, the rest are vliw5, like the 5000 series.

No, YOU are wrong.

Tahiti, Pitcairn and Cape Verde are GCN based. Everything else under the HD77xx is not.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-mix-gcn-with-vliw4--vliw5-architectures.aspx

"When it comes to discrete parts, parts with the codename Cape Verde (HD 7500, 7600, and 7700) and Pitcairn (HD 7800), they are all based on the VLIW4 architecture. The "Graphics Core Next" architecture is reserved just for the 7900 Series. Desktop parts are codenamed on Southern Islands, while mobile parts are codenamed after parts of London (read: Cape Verde becomes Lombok, Pitcairn becomes Thames etc.)."

Back