• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7970 endgame card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point being that multi-mon on one card has implications that go far beyond just the gaming world. With the price of panels how they are I think that multi-mon use will continue to grow and not just in the gaming/enthusiast crowd. I think Nvidia caught a slap to the face with Eyefinity it was a surprise to everyone when AMD came out with it. I would be surprised if Nvidia doesn't counterpunch with multi-display in a big way on Kepler now that they've had time to work it into a design from the ground up. If they don't well it's their loss

I program for a living and multi-display has really enabled me to realize multi-tasking. For example will have a coding window on one screen, a window to view the results of that code on another and maybe a music/e-mail/database windows on the other. Just my two cents.

I completely agree, indeed I use my Surround setup as much for work as for play. And as for Kepler, I would expect that it will have better support for multi-monitor as well, Fermi was probably too far along to add hardware to it to support multi-monitor directly though Galaxy has created a 580 design in the MDT that supports more than two monitors on a single card. I think its almost a certainty that Kepler will support at least 3 monitor Surround on a single card and probably there'll be more than that on the multi-monitor front with Kepler.
 
I read threads like these and can't imagine why I use to bother to post replies to this kind of crap.

duty_calls.png
 
People who post this thread act like a given card is the alpha and the omega just because it runs everything they've asked it to today without issue on their given setup. Given that we are talking about the highest end of cards and GPUs, I'll limit this to that realm in terms of scope.

The omega or endgame of cards, the Radeon HD 7970 is not.

The Radeon HD 7970 isn't enough by a long shot. That's just today. I'm not even talking about with regard to the next generation of games which may be far off granted. But today, things are inadequate. Until I can get 3 displays that are 30" or larger with 120Hz refresh rates, and never drop below 120FPS or 60FPS at least, with full 3D enabled in games that support it, for now and the foreseeable futrue, it's never enough. Right now, all the 30" panels I know of are 60Hz. OK, that's fine. You get used to it. It's what I've run for awhile. Even so I can't max out BF3 (arguably the best looking game out there right now) at 7680x1600 with full MSAA and get a decent frame rate with one card. I'm not certain that I could do it with 2 or even 3 Radeon HD 7970's.

Let's not forget, not everyone likes AMD well enough to buy one of their cards. So aside from performance the card still isn't the answer for all. Even if these cards were $100 and everyone on earth could afford one if they so chose to buy one, they aren't even the ultimate solution at low resolution. Again not everyone likes AMD. Not everyone wants something that runs so hot. Not everyone can use a card that big in their machines. The list goes on and on and on. Any thread where people talk about the highest end CPU of today, or the best bang for your buck solution, or high end GPU being all we need is always among the most short sighted of individuals on the forum. The reason why there is always so much discussion on all things computer hardware related, is because of the vast variances of people's experiences, budgets, performance goals, usage patterns and scenarios, etc. There is NEVER a one side fits all solution.
 
Felt the same way when I got my 5850's in CFX. Felt they would last at least 2 years....got them around launch in 2009(3 years going is pretty great)...the 7970 is the first card to make me seriously consider "upgrading" (more like side-grading) with it being slightly faster than my set up and using less power, and DX 11.1.

I may stick to the 5850's in CFX till the Radeon 8xxx series. I know it's been argued, but the Radeon 5870 and 5850 truly were the Radeon 9700 Pro and 9500 Pro of their day.
 
On a sidenote, a Radeon 7970 in CFX would probably be pretty darn future proof (3+ years) if history is any argument. The 5870 (3 years old) is still considered high-end, and 2 in CFX is a force to be reckoned with.
 
I highly doubt any more demanding games are going to come out for along time. Metro might be demanding but I doubt it will cripple systems unless they put in crappy dof like the last one. I think the next factor to upgrading will all depend on the new consoles coming in a couple of years. Now that we have BF3 and Crysis 2 we will have to wait for new consoles considering developers will want to max them on those. I have a feeling the new consoles will be amazing but of course no 3 screens so I will not even be interested.

I also think that with no more demanding games and alot of ppl happy with their current cards (once again I am talking about the large majorty of single screen gamers) that gpu sales are very low
 
He wasn't saying playable, he was saying maxed out or near maxed out at 1920x1200 with a 5770. That's just not the case.

honestly things are quite playable on my 5770 guys. but then again i really don't care to play battlefield...i admit most games i'm into don't stress the card overly hard. last one i really enjoyed was deus ex HR. but i've played a bit of skyrim and it runs just fine.....very close to max details if not maxed out.

just turn off the AA.
 
People who post this thread act like a given card is the alpha and the omega just because it runs everything they've asked it to today without issue on their given setup. Given that we are talking about the highest end of cards and GPUs, I'll limit this to that realm in terms of scope.

The omega or endgame of cards, the Radeon HD 7970 is not.

The Radeon HD 7970 isn't enough by a long shot. That's just today. I'm not even talking about with regard to the next generation of games which may be far off granted. But today, things are inadequate. Until I can get 3 displays that are 30" or larger with 120Hz refresh rates, and never drop below 120FPS or 60FPS at least, with full 3D enabled in games that support it, for now and the foreseeable futrue, it's never enough. Right now, all the 30" panels I know of are 60Hz. OK, that's fine. You get used to it. It's what I've run for awhile. Even so I can't max out BF3 (arguably the best looking game out there right now) at 7680x1600 with full MSAA and get a decent frame rate with one card. I'm not certain that I could do it with 2 or even 3 Radeon HD 7970's.

Let's not forget, not everyone likes AMD well enough to buy one of their cards. So aside from performance the card still isn't the answer for all. Even if these cards were $100 and everyone on earth could afford one if they so chose to buy one, they aren't even the ultimate solution at low resolution. Again not everyone likes AMD. Not everyone wants something that runs so hot. Not everyone can use a card that big in their machines. The list goes on and on and on. Any thread where people talk about the highest end CPU of today, or the best bang for your buck solution, or high end GPU being all we need is always among the most short sighted of individuals on the forum. The reason why there is always so much discussion on all things computer hardware related, is because of the vast variances of people's experiences, budgets, performance goals, usage patterns and scenarios, etc. There is NEVER a one side fits all solution.


Couldn't have said it better myself. I completey agree. Now if tomorrow someone releases a video card which is 1000 times faster than the fastest card out now, and its of small form factor, and uses very little juice, then you might be looking at a end game video card for the next few years at least.
 
just turn off the AA.

Just turn off typically one of the most demanding features in a game and say it's maxed out or near maxed out?:confused:

I had a 5770 for my backup gaming rig with an i7 920, 6GB of RAM and 128 SSD with a single 1920x1200 screen. There's absolutely nothing on it that I played on it that came anywhere near maxed out. I am close to being able to max out games with a GTX 480 however.
 
Definitely not an endgame card, but it satisfies my needs at 2560x1600 for now
 
Eating popcorn and reading this thread....wait, one 7970 is faster than one 6990? Really?
 
Depends on what kind of performance your getting in games now and whether that is acceptable to you versus the amount of cash you have to throw at the problem. Now personally I think about the amount of my electricity bill with my 5870's versus what it will be now with the 7970's I'll just have to see how much energy savings are there month to month. I'm also a programmer who's going throught the process of learning OpenCL so I can tell you without a doubt that the 7970 is a LOT easier to program for as far as being able to get the performance your looking for out of it.

How much will the 7970's drop? Well I'm no soothsayer but I can look at some trends and extrapolate. I see the world economy going even more into the crapper in 2012 so that should help lower prices. That is as long as the banks continue to hold onto that quanitative easing money. If more of that QE money stops being held in accounts and instead makes it out into the economy you'll see the value of the dollar drop which would raise prices in the form of inflation. The Federal Reserve has loaned a lot of money into existance since 2008. I see GDDR5 being used everywhere so that should help lower prices. I see the 7970 is having good yeilds and is not overly large for the process it's on so that should lower prices over time. I also see that Nvidia has Kepler coming out later this year so that may lower prices as well. I'd expect 7970's to hit $300 by the end of the year IF and that's a big IF you can still find them at that point in time. I guess time will tell whether I'm full of it or not:)

Hmmm. I guess my problem with waiting is if i wait and wait, and lets say a year from now finally upgrade to a single 7970 when they are $350, how much can i truely get for my 6950's? I mean i guess...they will hold their value for quite a while, but with the option right now to sell and get $450...idk. Ruff. I think i might just try to ruff it out with two 6950's until something smashing comes along and pray i can get a nice chunk of change when selling my 6950's.

You really think a 7970 cant play BF3 fully maxed out on a 1920x1080? Wow. For some reason that sounds wrong to me. Idk though.
 
You really think a 7970 cant play BF3 fully maxed out on a 1920x1080? Wow. For some reason that sounds wrong to me. Idk though.

Depends on your settings. I don't play at that resolution since my mons are 1920x1200 mons. For example though @ 1920x1200 with everything maxed except deferred AA is 2x MSAA and motion blur is off I get a low of around 52 FPS on a 64 player server on one of the larger maps with one 7970. Still very playable and majority of the time it is above that but it's a very subjective thing as to what is acceptable to you and what you want as far as image quality.
 
Hmmm. I guess my problem with waiting is if i wait and wait, and lets say a year from now finally upgrade to a single 7970 when they are $350, how much can i truely get for my 6950's? I mean i guess...they will hold their value for quite a while, but with the option right now to sell and get $450...idk. Ruff. I think i might just try to ruff it out with two 6950's until something smashing comes along and pray i can get a nice chunk of change when selling my 6950's.

You really think a 7970 cant play BF3 fully maxed out on a 1920x1080? Wow. For some reason that sounds wrong to me. Idk though.

Easily maxes it out on single screen. Just played 20 min above 60 fps
 
Is it worth it to pay $600 for a new GPU (7970) to gain around 20 FPS more in BF3? So let's say from 50 FPS to 70 FPS at the same ultra graphic settings?
 
A 7970 can't even run Skyrim on ultra settings with enb with a minimum framerate of 60 at only 1080p. Not even close to end game.
 
Well I think the first step is to get forget about the 1080 resolutions. The rest of those pixels are important... I came over here to find out what the end result of the 7970, and it's pretty much what I expected. I am stuck waiting and hoping for Kepler.
 
Depends on your settings. I don't play at that resolution since my mons are 1920x1200 mons. For example though @ 1920x1200 with everything maxed except deferred AA is 2x MSAA and motion blur is off I get a low of around 52 FPS on a 64 player server on one of the larger maps with one 7970. Still very playable and majority of the time it is above that but it's a very subjective thing as to what is acceptable to you and what you want as far as image quality.

Oh well personally my 6950 (only one in PC right now) plays about 35-45 average on those huge 64 player maps and thats totally playable to me. Its when it dips below 30FPS that it is unplayable.

Really the thing i think i need to see is benchmark(s) of a pair of crossfired 6950's (2Gb) vs the 7970 OC'ed at 1920x1080. To see if they are equal or one out performs the other.

But then the question is, is it worth $100 to swap from a two card solution to one. I think most people would say yes, especially cause down the road IF i can pick up a second 7970 to crossfire for <$400, that would be quite a setup, especially for 1920x1080.
 
I hope kepler is not like the 4xx series. That was such a garbage waste of money. I installed my 480 into my furnace so I am not all that unhappy with it. I am afraid Nvidia will fail at trying to show AMD up again
 
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gpu-kepler-graphics-card,14160.html

SERIOUSLY????

End of the year! So we wont see the high end for over a year?! AMD has full domination for at least a year. By that time it will have mature drivers and aftermarket oced versions of the 7970 and 7990.

By the time GK112 is out amd WILL HAVE THE 8970 out

Did you even look at the fake slide you linked to? Even though all the 107 benchmarks were dissapointing...didn't you see the 780 benchmarks!?!? :p
 
A 7970 can't even run Skyrim on ultra settings with enb with a minimum framerate of 60 at only 1080p. Not even close to end game.

That probably has more to do with the CPU, that game is horrible for that.
 
I love my 7970. But, with that said. Nvidia's new card will be out at some point or at least announced one would think within the first 1/2 of this year. Maybe even sooner. But, I think it's safe to say it will be faster than the 7970. I base this off two reasons. One, the 580 is still within arms reach performance wise of the new 7970. 2nd, Nvidia has a history / track record of releasing more powerful video cards than AMD / ATI. Of course this is all friendly speculation. Time will tell.
 
To be honest, as curious as I am over when Kepler will be released and expect it to be more powerful than the 500-series cards, I am more interested in Maxwell and whether they will integrate some ARM architecture into it, given how Nvidia is all gung-ho with Tegra stuff at the moment. Interesting times!

Now, Nvidia, announce something so I don't have to sit on the fence and can make a purchasing decision and get off this Sandy Bridge HD integrated GPU. I'm tired of playing Portal on it!
 
lets go back some years and remember what Nvidia did to try and show up AMD. They where taking a huge beating with 5xxx new cards so they release their 480 lmao. Chances are they will do the same. They only had a card that was slightly better than AMD (580 vs 6970) for only a little while then AMD comes out with this 7970 and once again is on way on top for probably a year. By the time they release the 6xx series the 7990 will be out and will destroy Nvidia.

In a years time when the 6xx series is out AMD will release their 8xxx series and continue to dominate. Nvidia is looking like a year behind AMD and they will need to pull some serious magic if they plan to beat AMD. With no hint at a single GPU for 3 screens (that 580 that can do it does not count) then AMD is king for 3 screen still. I and ALOT of other gamers switched to AMD for this reason and AMDs eyefinity is truly better. 1 gpu is the best. Crossfire and SLI is garbage everyone knows this. 2 of my friends got their 7970s and they just listed their 580s for sale but know one is buying?!
 
lets go back some years and remember what Nvidia did to try and show up AMD. They where taking a huge beating with 5xxx new cards so they release their 480 lmao. Chances are they will do the same. They only had a card that was slightly better than AMD (580 vs 6970) for only a little while then AMD comes out with this 7970 and once again is on way on top for probably a year. By the time they release the 6xx series the 7990 will be out and will destroy Nvidia.

In a years time when the 6xx series is out AMD will release their 8xxx series and continue to dominate. Nvidia is looking like a year behind AMD and they will need to pull some serious magic if they plan to beat AMD. With no hint at a single GPU for 3 screens (that 580 that can do it does not count) then AMD is king for 3 screen still. I and ALOT of other gamers switched to AMD for this reason and AMDs eyefinity is truly better. 1 gpu is the best. Crossfire and SLI is garbage everyone knows this. 2 of my friends got their 7970s and they just listed their 580s for sale but know one is buying?!

If this was a true statement, I'd of ordered 3-4 new 7970s by now. The one deciding factor that backed me out regardless the the 7970 are a little faster is that the probs with screen tearing and microstutter with 3 screens. I guess from what i've read if AMD would of put 2 mini display ports on there cards there would'nt be this problem. So thats a no go. Not heard anything possitive about AMD's driver department so i dont have any faith that they can fix the issues with a driver release.

Also who would want a single card for tripple screens anyways as it would be too slow. I have 4 580s in Quad SLI.. i want to go faster not slower.

The newest Nvidia card with be a 700 series and is supposed to be double what the 580 was.. i guess we will see.

Believe me.. i want the newest AMD card to be all that so Nvidia will be pressured to get there next thing out faster hehe.
 
7970 IS SO POWERFUL THAT IT HAS RIPPED THE FABRIC OF SPACE-TIME!!!

In doing so, it has obliterated both Nvidia and Intel. In the future, these companies no longer exist! I come from the future to warn you all of the impending crisis that will happen in approximately one month!

The end game is here! If you have a 7970, burn it, destroy it, throw it in a lake! It will destroy everything! It will consume this earth and leave only a handful of humans alive! I was one of the few who survived, and my mother, Bulma, created a time machine with just enough power to send me back to this time on this timeline to warn everyone!
 
If this was a true statement, I'd of ordered 3-4 new 7970s by now. The one deciding factor that backed me out regardless the the 7970 are a little faster is that the probs with screen tearing and microstutter with 3 screens. I guess from what i've read if AMD would of put 2 mini display ports on there cards there would'nt be this problem. So thats a no go. Not heard anything possitive about AMD's driver department so i dont have any faith that they can fix the issues with a driver release.

Also who would want a single card for tripple screens anyways as it would be too slow. I have 4 580s in Quad SLI.. i want to go faster not slower.

The newest Nvidia card with be a 700 series and is supposed to be double what the 580 was.. i guess we will see.

Believe me.. i want the newest AMD card to be all that so Nvidia will be pressured to get there next thing out faster hehe.

I have more troubles with nvidia drivers for sli on 3 screens than I have had with single gpu eyefinity. In fact I have never had any real problems with AMD drivers. Nvidia has such a strong selling point with that when it is not true. Just goggle and you will see that Nvidia has just as many problems with their drivers than AMD

Microstutter and those load hiccups in crossfire and sli makes games look like garbage I would rather play xbox. I use 2 active displayports (not sure if it really does anything) and I get no screen tear in any games. I had screen tear on my 6970 but not on my 7970
 
7970 IS SO POWERFUL THAT IT HAS RIPPED THE FABRIC OF SPACE-TIME!!!

In doing so, it has obliterated both Nvidia and Intel. In the future, these companies no longer exist! I come from the future to warn you all of the impending crisis that will happen in approximately one month!

The end game is here! If you have a 7970, burn it, destroy it, throw it in a lake! It will destroy everything! It will consume this earth and leave only a handful of humans alive! I was one of the few who survived, and my mother, Bulma, created a time machine with just enough power to send me back to this time on this timeline to warn everyone!

So YOU'RE the dude who was on the news yesterday with a badass sword and purple hair...:D
 
I'll tell you what....I've been a PC gamer for as long as PCs have been gamed on....(building them for 20+ years) and I will say that the current crop of high end hardware is incredible. Between SSDs, X79, multi-display high res gaming and these 7970s...we are pretty lucky to be where we are at. In a year or so the 7970 will be trumped by something for sure but right now, it's SWEET!!
 
I have more troubles with nvidia drivers for sli on 3 screens than I have had with single gpu eyefinity. In fact I have never had any real problems with AMD drivers. Nvidia has such a strong selling point with that when it is not true. Just goggle and you will see that Nvidia has just as many problems with their drivers than AMD

Microstutter and those load hiccups in crossfire and sli makes games look like garbage I would rather play xbox. I use 2 active displayports (not sure if it really does anything) and I get no screen tear in any games. I had screen tear on my 6970 but not on my 7970

In what games do you play and experiance no screen tear?
 
I have more troubles with nvidia drivers for sli on 3 screens than I have had with single gpu eyefinity. In fact I have never had any real problems with AMD drivers. Nvidia has such a strong selling point with that when it is not true. Just goggle and you will see that Nvidia has just as many problems with their drivers than AMD

Microstutter and those load hiccups in crossfire and sli makes games look like garbage I would rather play xbox. I use 2 active displayports (not sure if it really does anything) and I get no screen tear in any games. I had screen tear on my 6970 but not on my 7970

You must be holding it wrong, my 3x SLI 580 experience has been pretty much the complete opposite of what you're describing.
 
I love my 7970. But, with that said. Nvidia's new card will be out at some point or at least announced one would think within the first 1/2 of this year. Maybe even sooner. But, I think it's safe to say it will be faster than the 7970. I base this off two reasons. One, the 580 is still within arms reach performance wise of the new 7970. 2nd, Nvidia has a history / track record of releasing more powerful video cards than AMD / ATI. Of course this is all friendly speculation. Time will tell.

I totally agree with you .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top