• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7970 endgame card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be for me, at least till I get a 4k res display... lol.


No, seriously, I though my GTX580 was the endgame for me, and I intend it to be, however, it's lack of a DP output is an issue for me... (though I have sucessfully ignored it for a long while, now).
 
I just want Nvidia to annouce when the keplar will be released!!!! I need a date! I am waiting to build a computer because of keplar and intel ivry bridge....
 
I am not sure if it would be considered endgame. There really is no such thing as endgame when it comes to technology. However given the performance of these new cards, and it's very good, in a sense it might be end game for a couple (2) years maybe if you are willing to stretch them out that long.
 
I just want Nvidia to annouce when the keplar will be released!!!! I need a date! I am waiting to build a computer because of keplar and intel ivry bridge....

I know nothing about Keplar? Is that going to be the 700 series? If so what is the big hype about these? I will always consider nVidia if they have something that is really a big game changer like the GTX580 was.
 
I just want Nvidia to annouce when the keplar will be released!!!! I need a date! I am waiting to build a computer because of keplar and intel ivry bridge....

Don't hold your breath on Kepler, they obviously are not giving a date because it is not good enough for release. I can feel another major flop furnace 4xx series coming.
 
I know nothing about Keplar? Is that going to be the 700 series? If so what is the big hype about these? I will always consider nVidia if they have something that is really a big game changer like the GTX580 was.

580 was nothing huge just a bump up from 6970. the 7970 is huge
 
Shill, or just a die hard fanatic that views reality from an extremely odd angle?

Anyway my 6970's and I7 are endgame for me until the next crop of consoles come out. I can't max everything at 5760x1200, but that setup gets close enough for me most of the time. I do not foresee me upgrading my 1366 platform until the successor for LGA1155 and/or 2011 is out. Same goes for the 7xxx series. It is an upgrade, but one I think I can skip without really having to suffer poor performance or low settings.
 
I o0nly read through the first page but boy do i love seeing people with these new cards say that they cant do what the op has said.
 
we get the same nonsense every time a new card comes out. even back when the gtx280 was released people were saying we don't ever need more since most games are console ports. :D

and really the jump from a gtx580 to a 7970 is not all that impressive at all when you consider the gtx580 is based on the gtx480 which was already late when it came out. the gtx580 had a horrible performance/dollar ratio and the 7970 is not much better in that regard. the ONLY thing that makes the 7970 not look like a rip off for a next gen card at a higher price point is the huge overclocking potential.
 
we get the same nonsense every time a new card comes out. even back when the gtx280 was released people were saying we don't ever need more since most games are console ports. :D

and really the jump from a gtx580 to a 7970 is not all that impressive at all when you consider the gtx580 is based on the gtx480 which was already late when it came out. the gtx580 had a horrible performance/dollar ratio and the 7970 is not much better in that regard. the ONLY thing that makes the 7970 not look like a rip off for a next gen card at a higher price point is the huge overclocking potential.

7970 is far from being a next-gen card imo.

more like a die-shrink of the 6000 series.
 
7970 is far from being a next-gen card imo.

more like a die-shrink of the 6000 series.
and why do you keep saying that? performance wise its not a massive jump but architecturally its quite a bit different and not just a die shrink of the 6000 series.
 
i just finished installing ans uninstalling my 580s and yep they suck compared to the single 7970 oced

They just do sorry. amd is killing Nvidia now probably for a year also.
 
and why do you keep saying that? performance wise its not a massive jump but architecturally its quite a bit different and not just a die shrink of the 6000 series.


like the impressive bulldozer architecture on paper?

at the end of the day, its performance that speaks volume.
 
like the impressive bulldozer architecture on paper?

at the end of the day, its performance that speaks volume.
but the 7970's performance is good considering its specs. its just not all that much of a leap for a next gen card and putting it at a higher price point makes it look even worse.
 
Why is it that ppl who don't own a 7970 say that it is not powerfull, impressive, huge performance increase or worse they are Nvidia fanboys.

I like both Nvidia and AMD. I just spent time playing alot of games on both single screen and 3 screen with one 580 vs 7970 and on 3 screen two 580 vs 7970 and performance wise it is way better than anything nvidia has to offer. It is also a monster oc i got it up to 1190/1680 stock volts.




oh and by the way to all you BF3 players did you know that if you delete your battlefield folder in my documents and then redo your settings the performance increases alot. This happens when you screw around with the video settings to much. 2 other ppl verrified it helps also. Feels like I gained 10 fps. Might have to do with the new card? Try it and see. It might help. I found this out after I re installed the game and it was way smoother. I then screwed with the settings alot and I noticed something was off
 
Last edited:
i just finished installing ans uninstalling my 580s and yep they suck compared to the single 7970 oced

They just do sorry. amd is killing Nvidia now probably for a year also.

Im confused..only 5 day ago you said you were running a 6970 crossfire setup...and you said its better than a 7970
I play BF3, AVP, Brink, Crysis2 and a bunch of other non demanding games. I grabbed another 6970. I see from benchs that the 6970 crossfire beats 7970 in eyefinity and after all the tweaking I am impressed! BF3 and AVP scale both cards to 100% AND I GET NO MICROSTUTTER IN GAMES?!?!?! My old 5850 crossfire stuttered and sucked but theses 6970s are awesome. I have a stable oc of 920/1440 no volt and I think it is much better than the 7970 in performance. If I had microstutter I would say to hell with it. Plus it was only a little over $300 and they are silent (alot of heat though but its winter so what the hell)

and also stated you could not afford a 7970..

i just bought another 6970 beacause i cannot afford $550

please let me know how the 7970 runs compared to the (2) 6970

do you use eyefinity?

and now here you are telling us how great the card is....
 
lol, you deleted it. you have done nothing more than make a fool of yourself in this thread.

nah i just edited it

feel like a fool? lol no

more like ashamed for wasting all this time with this geek stuff if only my gf knew hahaha


By the way the sapphire cards I have are cooler and quieter than the asus even though they are all reference
 
Im confused..only 5 day ago you said you were running a 6970 crossfire setup...and you said its better than a 7970


and also stated you could not afford a 7970..



and now here you are telling us how great the card is....
I sold some stuff and I work at a place the allows me certain luxury's lol

ya i returned the other 6970 And got a asus 7970 and I also got a sapphire 7970 yesterday but I wont crossfire them unless i can get em on water
 
i just finished installing ans uninstalling my 580s and yep they suck compared to the single 7970 oced

They just do sorry. amd is killing Nvidia now probably for a year also.

Congrats and I'm glad you're happy with the 7970, after all its personal satisfaction, not what other people think, that make a product or service worth while.

I don't know what the hell was up with your 580 SLI setup, my 3x SLI 580 setup to me personally has been awesome. Yes the 7970 is faster but I'd still need three to surpass what I have already and AMD's 3D support is simply behind nVidia's at the moment.

I seriously doubt that nVidia won't have an answer to the 7970 for a whole year but if so I'm honestly not crying for more 2D power, I need stereoscopic 3D power, 3D Vision is by far and away the thing that eats up performance for what I do and 3D really isn't AMDs game, they just got Crossfire and H3D working so they probably have some work getting that solid.

But even if nVidia does take a long time to get the high end Kepler out, since my performance is overall very good anyway I don't mind the wait as I plan to put together a new as powerful as I can afford rig together when Windows 8 comes out, and I'd like to couple that with an Ivy Bridge Extreme CPU as well, and perhaps even new 3D monitors along with probably 3x SLI of the most powerful Kepler.

So again, enjoy! I may pick up one 7970 for my backup rig but I do want to see what Kepler brings to the table before I but another GPU since I'm not hurting for more performance overall.
 
Way to go AMD, kicking Nvidias ass ass all over the place. Waiting for Nvidia CEO to break out fake card.
 
Way to go AMD, kicking Nvidias ass ass all over the place. Waiting for Nvidia CEO to break out fake card.
yes congratulations on coming out with a next gen card that beats the older poor performance per dollar gtx580 by 15-20% and then charging more for it. lol
 
yes congratulations on coming out with a next gen card that beats the older poor performance per dollar gtx580 by 15-20% and then charging more for it. lol

7970 is nothing but a 6970 on a 28nm that costs $600 dollars.

cant wait for $349-$399 Kepler 660/670 in March that beats 7970.
 
Congrats and I'm glad you're happy with the 7970, after all its personal satisfaction, not what other people think, that make a product or service worth while.

I don't know what the hell was up with your 580 SLI setup, my 3x SLI 580 setup to me personally has been awesome. Yes the 7970 is faster but I'd still need three to surpass what I have already and AMD's 3D support is simply behind nVidia's at the moment.

I seriously doubt that nVidia won't have an answer to the 7970 for a whole year but if so I'm honestly not crying for more 2D power, I need stereoscopic 3D power, 3D Vision is by far and away the thing that eats up performance for what I do and 3D really isn't AMDs game, they just got Crossfire and H3D working so they probably have some work getting that solid.

But even if nVidia does take a long time to get the high end Kepler out, since my performance is overall very good anyway I don't mind the wait as I plan to put together a new as powerful as I can afford rig together when Windows 8 comes out, and I'd like to couple that with an Ivy Bridge Extreme CPU as well, and perhaps even new 3D monitors along with probably 3x SLI of the most powerful Kepler.

So again, enjoy! I may pick up one 7970 for my backup rig but I do want to see what Kepler brings to the table before I but another GPU since I'm not hurting for more performance overall.

I have not built a 3d steup but have been wanting to for awhile. I am just afriad it will take forever for the gpus to be powerful enough to run it. How well does yours run performance wise as in smoothness?
 
7970 is nothing but a 6970 on a 28nm that costs $600 dollars.

cant wait for $349-$399 Kepler 660/670 in March that beats 7970.
please stop saying that. while we can agree its not an impressive leap over the gtx580, its NOT just a shrunk 6000 series.
 
7970 is nothing but a 6970 on a 28nm that costs $600 dollars.

cant wait for $349-$399 Kepler 660/670 in March that beats 7970.

who cares what it is have you tried it in eyefinfity? I have a feeling the high end kepler will be longer than march
 
Can anyone with these cards comment on a multi-monitor desktop with a 7970?
I saw reports they were adding options for taskbar placement and other improvements.
 
I have not built a 3d steup but have been wanting to for awhile. I am just afriad it will take forever for the gpus to be powerful enough to run it. How well does yours run performance wise as in smoothness?

Overall I'm pretty happy with the performance I've gotten out of my sig rig in the 3D. At single screen 1920X1080 resolution I can max out most games, even BF3 though AA is limited to 2x and frame rates are capped at 60 FPS due to the nature of the stereoscopic implementation that 3D Vision uses.

At 5760x1080 the situation is quite different, even games like CoD MW3 are demanding with running at their maximum settings but still I'm happy with the results. Batman Arkham City is amazing, I average about 40 FPS, smooth performance though I have to run it DX 9 mode, but lots of people have problems in DX 11 mode even in 2D in that game. Skyrim also works very well, about 50 FPS there with near maximum settings in 3D Surround.

But yes, I would like more performance on the 3D front and closer to 60 FPS across the board. 3D is just sweeter at a sustained 60 FPS just like 2D only I think a constant high framerate is even more attractive in 3D.
 
Is it still having Crossfire Issues? I was going to buy it but I'v heard so many bad things about the drivers. I'd like to drop my 2 570's and pick up one of these bad boys but I've heard so many bad things about the crossfire support I don't think I can drop the moneyz.
 
Is it still having Crossfire Issues? I was going to buy it but I'v heard so many bad things about the drivers. I'd like to drop my 2 570's and pick up one of these bad boys but I've heard so many bad things about the crossfire support I don't think I can drop the moneyz.

don't crossfire just use 1 its all you need right now for 5760 x 1080 the drivers are fine the thing is ppl only come on forums to complain never to praise, they are to busy enjoying thier games I have zero issues with the 7970 drivers
 
Last edited:
Overall I'm pretty happy with the performance I've gotten out of my sig rig in the 3D. At single screen 1920X1080 resolution I can max out most games, even BF3 though AA is limited to 2x and frame rates are capped at 60 FPS due to the nature of the stereoscopic implementation that 3D Vision uses.

At 5760x1080 the situation is quite different, even games like CoD MW3 are demanding with running at their maximum settings but still I'm happy with the results. Batman Arkham City is amazing, I average about 40 FPS, smooth performance though I have to run it DX 9 mode, but lots of people have problems in DX 11 mode even in 2D in that game. Skyrim also works very well, about 50 FPS there with near maximum settings in 3D Surround.

But yes, I would like more performance on the 3D front and closer to 60 FPS across the board. 3D is just sweeter at a sustained 60 FPS just like 2D only I think a constant high framerate is even more attractive in 3D.

This is with 3x 580 right? 3D sounds awesome. How does AMD stand up to Nvidia? I have always had problems with more thamn one gpu. I love the smoothness of one
 
The only problem I have is price. Especially at the 4000 and 6000 series high end cards, AMD varied from "slightly better" to "slightly under" compared to Nvidia high ends, but what really set them apart was the price. If this card was sold for 6970 prices, around 360, it would be an amazing deal. Nobody would even care much that it just did a little better than the GTX 580. When the Nvidia 600 series arises, I'm sure the 680 will have the raw performance crowd in some, single display games but I also expect a $600+ pricepoint. Unless AMD's planning to drop these back to the $300 range when Nvidia's 600 series comes out, I see them shooting themselves in the foot. They'll have a card that will likely be moderately under the 680, for nearly the same price and that's not a good prospect.

AMD excels at price/performance ratio and they shouldn't forget that. Be it CPUs or GPUs, Intel or Nvidia may have more raw power in some circumstances, but they've reached such success today because of great featuresets, frequent updates, and price/performance. I can only hope that they realize that and ensure a price-drop; heck, if they dropped the price in the next month or so they'd likely throw a wrench in the plans of many to buy Nvidia on next refresh if the performance is there.
 
The only problem I have is price. Especially at the 4000 and 6000 series high end cards, AMD varied from "slightly better" to "slightly under" compared to Nvidia high ends, but what really set them apart was the price.
The 7970 is not slighty better. If you owned both you would no that is not true and if Nvidia does what they did the last time when AMD beat them then we will have another crappy furnace to put in our computers. I met a guy with a 460 and another guy with a 480 today and they hate Nvidia now. They said they where loyal customers and waited through all the 5780 sales and they were positvie the 480 would be greater. They were let down, especially when nvidia releaed the 5xx series shorty after. The one guy said he was cheated. They both bought 7970s and no one will buy their 4xx cards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top