5870 - $299

Radeon 58xx pricing leaked?http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1532355/radeon-58xx-pricing-leaked

5870X2 will hit the stores at $599. The single GPU version will be called the 5870 and will set you back only about $399. The 5850, the least expensive video card in the 58xx line, will sell for about $299.

Fuck I hope not 5850 $299 that is a lot of money...

My guess is that when Nvidia's cards come out hey will drop the price dramatically.

Last edited:
Radeon 58xx pricing leaked?http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1532355/radeon-58xx-pricing-leaked

My guess is that when Nvidia's cards come out hey will drop the price dramatically.

Didn't Nvidia get hammered on PR for releasing cards with a higher price and then dropping the price when ATIs stuff hit the shelves? I mean I could have sworn people talked about ATI like it was the second coming of christ because of it.

Nvidia's prices were still MUCH higher though, so it looked worse. For example, GTX280 debuted at $650, just a couple weeks before ATI's cards caused them to slash.

399 is a far cry from 650, to be fair. And ATI will probably have a lot more lead time before Nvidia's cards hit too.

With Nvidia it was just embarrassing because they had to make massive slashes just shortly after they released, as ATI cards quickly destroyed them on price/performance. You'd think Nvidia would have had a better idea how the new ATI cards would perform back then.

Nvidia's prices were still MUCH higher though, so it looked worse. For example, GTX280 debuted at $650, just a couple weeks before ATI's cards caused them to slash.

399 is a far cry from 650, to be fair. And ATI will probably have a lot more lead time before Nvidia's cards hit too.

With Nvidia it was just embarrassing because they had to make massive slashes just shortly after they released, as ATI cards quickly destroyed them on price/performance. You'd think Nvidia would have had a better idea how the new ATI cards would perform back then.
again you missed the point. yes the gtx280 was very expensive but it was also their top of the line card. the 5870 is only HALF of ATIs flagship card so saying saying $399 is far from $650 is completely irrelevant.

the 5870 is only HALF of ATIs flagship card so saying saying $399 is far from $650 is completely irrelevant.
Both the HD5870 and the GTX 280 are single-GPU parts. They are quite directly comparable in this context.

Both the HD5870 and the GTX 280 are single-GPU parts. They are quite directly comparable in this context.
no they arent. the gtx280 was to be Nvidias flagship card and the gtx295 wasnt even a possibility yet. the 5870 is HALF of ATIs flagship card with the 5870x2 being released several weeks after so there is no comparison.

no they arent. the gtx280 was to be Nvidias flagship card and the gtx295 wasnt even a possibility yet. the 5870 is HALF of ATIs flagship card with the 5870x2 being released several weeks after so there is no comparison.

There definitely is. ATi could've released a 5870 and a 5850, then released a dual-card version later. You wouldn't have known any better. What will distinguish these cards (at those prices) is the performance. If their 5850 is only a tiny bit better than their 4890, then you'll be right in saying that their card is overpriced. If their 5850 is say... 50% better than the 4890, then that will be great. Their prices are very fair. You don't seem to recall the 8800 GT days where it cost $500 at launch, and the 8800 GTX was $650. 8800 GT is to 5850 as 8800 GTX is to 5870. Except, the prices have been slashed significantly (40%). This is in part due to the low price of the last generation parts and in part, perhaps, due to competition.

There definitely is. ATi could've released a 5870 and a 5850, then released a dual-card version later. You wouldn't have known any better. What will distinguish these cards (at those prices) is the performance. If their 5850 is only a tiny bit better than their 4890, then you'll be right in saying that their card is overpriced. If their 5850 is say... 50% better than the 4890, then that will be great. Their prices are very fair. You don't seem to recall the 8800 GT days where it cost $500 at launch, and the 8800 GTX was $650. 8800 GT is to 5850 as 8800 GTX is to 5870. Except, the prices have been slashed significantly (40%). This is in part due to the low price of the last generation parts and in part, perhaps, due to competition.
could have? um okay but they are releasing a 5870x2 so your hypothetical situation is irrelevant. $399 is too much for what is technically half of their high end card. if these cards are 60% faster than a 4870 then you could could just get a much faster 4890 crossfire setup for even cheaper. IMO $399 is an absurd price for the 5870. also the 8800gt was never anywhere near 500 bucks so I dont know where you got that from.

Last edited:
could have? um okay but they are releasing a 5870x2 so your hypothetical situation is irrelevant. $399 is too much for what is technically half of their high end card. if these cards are 60% faster than a 4870 then you could could just get a much faster 4890 crossfire setup for even cheaper. IMO $399 is an absurd price for the 5870. also the 8800gt was never anywhere near 500 bucks so I dont know where you got that from.

Pretty sure he meant the 8800GTS640 from the way he says it.
Yes, *if* the 5870 is only 60% faster than 4890. Thing is, we don't even know how well the 5850/5870s perform so all this talk is pretty pointless.

And how do you know the 5870X2 will be released only several weeks later?
Both 3870X2 and 4870X2 were released approx 2 months later than their single GPU counterparts and thats because they needed something to compete against faster nVidia cards. I kinda doubt the 5870x2 will release that quickly, and even if it does then the price would be 799$ (ugh)

Pretty sure he meant the 8800GTS640 from the way he says it.
Yes, *if* the 5870 is only 60% faster than 4890. Thing is, we don't even know how well the 5850/5870s perform so all this talk is pretty pointless.

And how do you know the 5870X2 will be released only several weeks later?
Both 3870X2 and 4870X2 were released approx 2 months later than their single GPU counterparts and thats because they needed something to compete against faster nVidia cards. I kinda doubt the 5870x2 will release that quickly, and even if it does then the price would be 799$ (ugh)
well most of the rumors say the 5870 will be widely available in October and the 5870x2 is supposedly coming out in November so thats why I said just several weeks later . ;)

Don't you mean GTS?

No. The 8800GT retailed at ridiculously high prices. I remember paying $300 for mine, a few months AFTER it was debuted. In 3 months price was down to around $200, and that was with zero competition from ATi (the 38xx series hadn't made its debut yet).
It was simply ridiculously high markup.

No. The 8800GT retailed at ridiculously high prices. I remember paying $300 for mine, a few months AFTER it was debuted. In 3 months price was down to around $200, and that was with zero competition from ATi (the 38xx series hadn't made its debut yet).
It was simply ridiculously high markup.
it was no where near 500 bucks even at release so he was either talking about a different card or was mistaken on the price.

I remember that.
8800GT was $250 MSRP but it exceeded 8800GTS 640 and came pretty close to a 8800GTX making the demand = prices so high, people were paying $300+ for those. (which was still pretty good in comparison to a 8800GTX)

I was talking about the GTS640. Thanks for the correction. I've gotten my names mixed up. I'm just saying, the release prices for these cards (given a new architecture) are much cheaper than "back in the day". Also, newer, high-end cards always come at a slight premium. So, if they are 60% better, then you can be almost assured that they will cost >60% more. Of course I would love if the newer cards were priced at $199 and $299 respectively, but I'm not one to complain if they come at $299 and $399. Fair is fair. If you want to sweeten the deal, you can only make me happier, not the other way around.

AmongTheChosenX said:

Quite obviously, you're mistaken, since that IS what I meant. ;)

Last note I'd like to make is... there are some people (me included) that would never ever even consider SLI. Only single card (maximum dual-slot) solutions. When you go to 2 cards, you create a whole host of new problems, including twice the heat, a significant addition to power usage, a lot more space and connectors in your case (which will also require a power supply that supports multiple cards or a couple of adapters), and potential driver issues that don't exist with just a single card.

I always tell people never to go SLI or Crossfire, and look for the good single-card solutions.

I always tell people never to go SLI or Crossfire, and look for the good single-card solutions.
I always explain it's pro and cons and try to offer advice on what their needs are once they explain what they're looking for in a gaming system.

I always explain it's pro and cons and try to offer advice on what their needs are once they explain what they're looking for in a gaming system.

Quite simply, the cons majorly outweigh the pros, in pretty much anything I can think of, unless you're made of cash and have huge 30" monitors (again, made of cash). No one I know is like that, fortunately or unfortunately?

I have a hard time covering the summer heat + the amount of heat my SINGLE 8800 GTX produces already. Two of them, and I'd better have the AC down low, to make sure that it can support my room that's 8 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.

I love SLI for my use, but don't assume their use will be similar until they explain what games they hope to play and if they plan on using AA at a high resolution.

P.S. Two cards produce a bit more PPD F@H. :p

Fold for the [H]orde you cheapskates

Quite simply, the cons majorly outweigh the pros, in pretty much anything I can think of, unless you're made of cash and have huge 30" monitors (again, made of cash). No one I know is like that, fortunately or unfortunately?

I have a hard time covering the summer heat + the amount of heat my SINGLE 8800 GTX produces already. Two of them, and I'd better have the AC down low, to make sure that it can support my room that's 8 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.

Hmmm, heat. That will be a major factor is my purchase. Since this summer it's been getting up in the 90's in my room at certain parts of the day. My computer is chugging along fine but then I've got parts that run well when hot.

that is a very subjective statement, to YOU the cons outweigh the pros. it really does matter what your priorities are. some people don't want to compromise there performance and the occasional issue with the add cost is worth it to them

that is a very subjective statement, to YOU the cons outweigh the pros. it really does matter what your priorities are. some people don't want to compromise there performance and the occasional issue with the add cost is worth it to them

If you're going to ask me for video card advice, then chances are, you don't need a multi-GPU solution and just want to play some games better. If you're that hardcore, you don't need my help, and you could've figured out your priorities by yourself. So to Joe Average, and even Joe Average + 1, there is my advice. Two cards? Don't do it. Three cards? You're fucking mad.

If you're going to ask me for video card advice, then chances are, you don't need a multi-GPU solution and just want to play some games better. If you're that hardcore, you don't need my help, and you could've figured out your priorities by yourself. So to Joe Average, and even Joe Average + 1, there is my advice. Two cards? Don't do it. Three cards? You're fucking mad.

that is a point, if you have to ask..

still there are a lot of people with more money then sense that do want that last 15%..

Any concrete specs been leaked out yet by someone other then Charlie?

none that I trust. a couple of people have said the same but with no sources they could be quoting charlie for all I know

These is not accurate and the prices are off as well. Proof? There is no mention of the of the 5750 (I believe that is the name), which is the real low end, not the 5850. I am also hearing the high end part, dual GPU, is getting a slight rename and will be delayed just a bit.

Hellz no! the 5870 is going to be 299-329, 5850 will be 199-229, they will more than likely be at the same pirce point as when the 4870 came out.

its supposed to be able to crush nvidias new parts, so of course AMD is going to demand a premium. I think they deserve it after having their asses handed to them for the past 3 years

its supposed to be able to crush nvidias new parts, so of course AMD is going to demand a premium. I think they deserve it after having their asses handed to them for the past 3 years

ATI has had their asses handed to them the last three years ? That is a pretty strong statement.

Sure nVidia has had some kick ass cards lately in the 8800GTX and GTX-280 I owned both and loved them. But ATI has been pretty close in performance lately and better priced.

The 3870X2 gave the 8800GTX some good competition. The 4870 1gb vs GTX-280 weren't too far apart and the 4870 was much cheaper. Look at today the 4890 vs GTX-285 are very close, as is both high end parts the 4870X2 vs GTX-295

I would say over the past 3 years ATI has had the better value with performance pretty close to nVidia. And now the 5870 will take top dog for fastest single card later this month

ATI has had their asses handed to them the last three years ? That is a pretty strong statement.

Sure nVidia has had some kick ass cards lately in the 8800GTX and GTX-280 I owned both and loved them. But ATI has been pretty close in performance lately and better priced.

The 3870X2 gave the 8800GTX some good competition. The 4870 1gb vs GTX-280 weren't too far apart and the 4870 was much cheaper. Look at today the 4890 vs GTX-285 are very close, as is both high end parts the 4870X2 vs GTX-295

I would say over the past 3 years ATI has had the better value with performance pretty close to nVidia. And now the 5870 will take top dog for fastest single card later this month

if you look at market share the term "ass handed to them" isn't really out of line. it wasn't until the 4800 that they have come out swinging.

if you look at market share the term "ass handed to them" isn't really out of line. it wasn't until the 4800 that they have come out swinging.

Exactly my point. Their cards were very lackluster, overpriced, used too much power, were very loud, and oin top of that they had zip competition to the 8800 ultra when it made its debut (I'm talking about when the 2900xt came out).

The 3800 series came in and helped them reduce power usage and manufacturing costs, and then the cards suddenly had a lot of performance for the cost.
The 4800 series came in with architectural tweaks, and gave it that edge ovwer nvidia hardward.

So until the 4800 series, ati has had their asses handed to them.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I still want to wait and see a few reviews compared to current cards, especially the lower end 5800's.

At 1440x900 I sure don't need something that runs much faster than a 4890, I'd be happy with getting 4870 performance which would probably be at least a 50% upgrade over what I've got plus more efficient AA support.

Are there any pricing/performance rumors about whatever falls right below the 5850?

Rumor has the 'juniper' part a 800 shader replacement for the 48xx series, falling in the sub 200 dollar range.

Unless that is the part aimed more at the 100 dollar range, to replace the 4770.

Unless of course you're talking since the radeon 9700 days, x800/x850 gen, etc. ATi was cornered by the 8800, they lost a lot of credibility and market in just 1 series, admittedly. I think ATI took care of business in the earlier portion of this decade, it's been on a downward spiral since AMD, then they hit the jackpot with the 4800's. We'll see if their luck (or skill) can carry over the the 5800's. I personally think nVidia was just underestimating ATi this last gen, and that's why nVidia didn't go balls out.

Back